AFL Team of the 21st Century (Rolling)

Remove this Banner Ad

This isn't me being defensive at all, but who would you consider for that back pocket spot? A third tall, a genuine rebounder or more of a lockdown small? And which ones?

If Wanganeen's career started in the mid/late 90s he'd be the best shout. Likewise for Archer. They feel more like 20th century players. But I guess we have Buckley who started '93 and Voss '92. Chris Johnson comes in around here too.

For genuine 21st century centric players: McGovern? Gibson?

With Enright and McLoad back there I am not sure you need another rebounding defender. I mean you could, but you could just as easily go with a proper lock down defender as well.

Who do you rate higher? Enright or Stewart? I actually probably rate Stewart higher at this point.

Which leads me to ask: is there an argument for Chris Johnson ahead of Enright in a back pocket?
That's a tricky one. Enright more class, better 1v1, less prone to mistakes. Stewart more capable of dominating a game and being an intercepting machine who runs the show. My cop out answer is they would work in a complimentary way in a side, rather than like for like.

I really rated Johnson. He's in the murky area - was he a 20th or 21st century focussed player? He was excellent through Brisbane's dynasty but did start in 1994. I wouldn't find it offensive if you simply looked at them as players and forgot about time periods though.

With Enright and McLoad back there I am not sure you need another rebounding defender. I mean you could, but you could just as easily go with a proper lock down defender as well.
Fair point, but more specifically: who are the best candidates from 21st century players? Clement, while short lived, was an excellent lockdown player. Who else? Heath Shaw, Leo Barry, Houli are all pretty attacking players.

You could easily have Hodge in that back pocket and then open up to more flankers, although this would be just as attacking of a line up which wouldn't address your concern.

Fair point, but more specifically: who are the best candidates from 21st century players? Clement, while short lived, was an excellent lockdown player. Who else? Heath Shaw, Leo Barry, Houli are all pretty attacking players.

You could easily have Hodge in that back pocket and then open up to more flankers, although this would be just as attacking of a line up which wouldn't address your concern.

The way I look at it, and this could be the wrong way to look at it but I look at it as Buddy/Lloyd/Riewoldt vs Rance/Scarlett/Stewart

Now in that scenario I feel like Stewart is the weak link. Who does he go to? You could stick Rance on Buddy, he had a pretty good record, stick Scarlett on Lloyd but would Stewart be able to go with Reiwoldt?

I would trust Rance and Scarlett on any of the three key forwards in the team. I am not sure I would trust Stewart on them.

The way I look at it, and this could be the wrong way to look at it but I look at it as Buddy/Lloyd/Riewoldt vs Rance/Scarlett/Stewart

Now in that scenario I feel like Stewart is the weak link. Who does he go to? You could stick Rance on Buddy, he had a pretty good record, stick Scarlett on Lloyd but would Stewart be able to go with Reiwoldt?

I would trust Rance and Scarlett on any of the three key forwards in the team. I am not sure I would trust Stewart on them.
So who would you trust? Lake or McGovern as a third tall? Gibson or McPharlin? I don't mind any of the options. But I would say in the OP's team Stewart wouldn't be taking a tall, much like he doesn't take a tall for the Cats. If the opposition played 4 starting talls and 2 mega elite crumbers, fair enough he might be stuck without a match up.

So who would you trust? Lake or McGovern as a third tall? Gibson or McPharlin? I don't mind any of the options. But I would say in the OP's team Stewart wouldn't be taking a tall, much like he doesn't take a tall for the Cats. If the opposition played 4 starting talls and 2 mega elite crumbers, fair enough he might be stuck without a match up.

I would trust Lake or McGovern for the role, well as much as you can given the quality player they would be on. I would also trust Craig Bolton but there is no way he would make the team of the 21st century.

Out of interest though who do you think would go on Buddy/Lloyd and Riewoldt in the current 21st century team?

Don't know if it has been covered but really, you can't have a team without the inclusion of Peter Matera

I would trust Lake or McGovern for the role, well as much as you can given the quality player they would be on. I would also trust Craig Bolton but there is no way he would make the team of the 21st century.

Out of interest though who do you think would go on Buddy/Lloyd and Riewoldt in the current 21st century team?
Scarlett and Rance.

Raffle off between McPharlin, Taylor and Lake. Not saying they're specifically in my starting line up but just from your point of view regarding who defends those players. Fletcher I guess is a bit more 20th century (AA in 2000 and 2007 though) but him too.

OK, no carry over from 20th century. My bad.
It's subjective where to draw the line but I'd say if most of their best years came before 2000 then they're ineligible. Voss and Buckley are borderline as they still had a handful of peak/elite years in the 2000s. But I'd be inclined to drop them off as well - similar to Archer, Johnson, Wanganeen. McLeod had those amazing 90s highlights but did still play a decade in the 2000s.

Setting 1995 as a debut cut off point, and weighing more heavily on players with number of elite seasons 2000 onwards:

FB: McGovern Scarlett Enright

HB: Hodge Rance McLeod

C: Goodes Ablett Judd

HF: N.Riewoldt Pavlich Martin

FF: Betts Franklin S.Johnson

FOL: Gawn Fyfe Dangerfield

IC: Pendlebury Black Akermanis Gibson

Sub: B.Johnson

Lloyd desperately unlucky, but only 3 AAs in the 2000s and less versatility compared to Pavlich (6 AAs in the 2000s) who I couldn't leave out. Which defensive group could deal with Buddy as a mobile full forward, both Pav and Riewoldt roaming around half forward with Martin, Johnson and Betts crumbing the packs?

Most of the Lions debuted 1995 or earlier. Black as a dual BnF, Brownlow medalist in a dynasty deserves recognition, as does forward/mid superstar Akermanis who would rotate with Martin.

Judd I'd see more capable as an outside wingman than the 3 I named on ball, but of course would rotate inside.

A third tall intercepting defender (who could also take a gorilla if need be) would strengthen the team. One of Scarlett, Rance and McGovern released would be tough to cover. A toss up between McGovern and Lake for that spot, but Lake would compete more with Scarlett I think.

Stewart would have to wait for end of career. Gibson as a dual B&F in a dynasty side deserves recognition. A real side would have a genuine forward and genuine defender on the bench.

Bontempelli could arguable take Fyfe's position now but again I'd wait until end of career. Slightly lower ceiling, but already a longer peak.

S.Mitchell could just about take Black's spot, especially with his 2000s only profile.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Setting 1995 as a debut cut off point, and weighing more heavily on players with number of elite seasons 2000 onwards:

FB: McGovern Scarlett Enright

HB: Hodge Rance McLeod

C: Goodes Ablett Judd

HF: N.Riewoldt Pavlich Martin

FF: Betts Franklin S.Johnson

FOL: Gawn Fyfe Dangerfield

IC: Pendlebury Black Akermanis Gibson

Sub: B.Johnson

Lloyd desperately unlucky, but only 3 AAs in the 2000s and less versatility compared to Pavlich (6 AAs in the 2000s) who I couldn't leave out. Which defensive group could deal with Buddy as a mobile full forward, both Pav and Riewoldt roaming around half forward with Martin, Johnson and Betts crumbing the packs?

Most of the Lions debuted 1995 or earlier. Black as a dual BnF, Brownlow medalist in a dynasty deserves recognition, as does forward/mid superstar Akermanis who would rotate with Martin.

Judd I'd see more capable as an outside wingman than the 3 I named on ball, but of course would rotate inside.

A third tall intercepting defender (who could also take a gorilla if need be) would strengthen the team. One of Scarlett, Rance and McGovern released would be tough to cover. A toss up between McGovern and Lake for that spot, but Lake would compete more with Scarlett I think.

Stewart would have to wait for end of career. Gibson as a dual B&F in a dynasty side deserves recognition. A real side would have a genuine forward and genuine defender on the bench.

Bontempelli could arguable take Fyfe's position now but again I'd wait until end of career. Slightly lower ceiling, but already a longer peak.

S.Mitchell could just about take Black's spot, especially with his 2000s only profile.
Is that Nic, Jack or Dustin Martin on the HFF?

CHANGES AT END OF SEASON 2023:
IN: BONTEMPELLI
OUT: SWAN

CHANGES AT END OF SEASON 2022:
IN: STEWART
OUT: MCGOVERN

CHANGES AT END OF SEASON 2021:
IN: GAWN
OUT: COX

CHANGES AT END OF SEASON 2020:
IN: D.MARTIN
OUT: B.JOHNSON

FB:C.ENRIGHT (GEEL)M.SCARLETT (GEEL)T.STEWART* (GEEL)
HB:A.MCLEOD (ADEL)A.RANCE (RICH)L.HODGE (HAW) (vc)
C:N.BUCKLEY (COLL)M.VOSS (BRIS) (c)B.COUSINS (WC/RICH)
HF:P.DANGERFIELD* (ADEL/GEEL)N.RIEWOLDT (STK)D.MARTIN* (RICH)
FF:L.FRANKLIN (HAW/SYD)M.LLOYD (ESS)J.AKERMANIS (BRIS/WB)
RR:M.GAWN* (MELB)C.JUDD (WC/CARL)G.ABLETT (GEEL/GC)
INT:A.GOODES (SYD)N.FYFE* (FREM)S.PENDLEBURY* (COLL) - M.BONTEMPELLI* (WB)
COACH:ALASTAIR CLARKSON (HAW/NM)

thoughts?

I've tried to future proof positions and give certain areas a spot to prevent midfielder stacking. Crazy to think at least three-quarters of these players would be gone by the end of the century with bias to recent memory.

The only players I expect would be locks at the end of the century are G Ablett, D Martin, M Voss.

Defenders
Key Def - M Scarlett (FB), A Rance (CHB)
Gen Def - C Enright, L Hodge (VC)
Run Def - A Mcleod, T Stewart

Midfield
Ruck - M Gawn
Starting Mids - G Ablett, M Voss (C), P Dangerfield
Wing - I Smith
Mid/Wing - C Judd

Forwards
Key Fwd: L Franklin (FF), N Riewoldt (CHF)
Gen Fwd: L Breust, S Johnson
Fwd/Mid: D Martin
Sml Fwd: E Betts

Interchange
2nd ruck/resting ruck - A Goodes
Utility - M Pavlich
Mids - N Buckley, S Pendlebury

Coach - A Clarkson

Threats - M Bontempelli (Mid or Mid/Fwd), C Oliver (Mid), J Cameron (CHF)

Unlucky
J McGovern (Key Def), D Cox (Ruck), J Selwood (Mid), B Cousins (Mid), D Swan (Mid), S Mitchell (Mid), S Black (Mid)
M Lloyd (Key Fwd), J Akermanis (Fwd/Mid), B Harvey (Fwd/Mid), S Goodwin (Utility)

Considered ineligible
M Ricciuto (Mid), J Hird (Mid), T Lockett (Key Fwd), B Johnson (Gen Fwd)

Last edited:
I’m sure this has been explained earlier but I can’t be bothered searching. Is this team based on football played only in the 21st century? Or does it assess a players entire career so long as they played some of it in the 21st century?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I’m sure this has been explained earlier but I can’t be bothered searching. Is this team based on football played only in the 21st century? Or does it assess a players entire career so long as they played some of it in the 21st century?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
At least with my team I excluded the three above just because they had been in their own Team of the Centuries already and I don't think they will be relevant at the end anyway. I assume anything after 1996 would count when it was named.

There are some issues going forward as the previous team was only a VFL/AFL team and so only partly represents the best players to have played Australian Rules in the 20th century. I think they will eventually go back and redo an Australian Rules team in the distant future with a proper cap at 2000 not 1996, when all the states get along.

In that case I'm almost certain Tony Lockett would be at FF, just pipping out Ken Farmer who IMO is the second greatest full forward in history followed by Franklin.

Last edited:
Great point Frewy in regards to the last TOTC being picked in 1996, therefore if you write a TOTC for this running one, you're excluding four seasons from 1997-2000.

Team of the second century of AFL (1997-current)

In the style of the All-Australian team, a squad of 44 (11 defenders, 18 midfielders, 11 forwards, 4 rucks) and a final team of 22

DEF: Andrew McLeod, Gavin Wanganeen, Justin Leppitsch, Matthew Scarlett, Luke Hodge, Darren Glass, Corey Enright, Brian Lake, Alex Rance, Tom Stewart, Jeremy McGovern
MID: Nathan Buckley, Mark Ricciuto, Robert Harvey, Scott West, Shane Crawford, Ben Cousins, Jason Akermanis, Michael Voss, Simon Black, Chris Judd, Joel Selwood, Dane Swan, Scott Pendlebury, Sam Mitchell, Patrick Dangerfield, Dustin Martin, Nat Fyfe, Marcus Bontempelli
RUC: Dean Cox, Max Gawn, Aaron Sandilands, Adam Goodes (utility)
FWD: Matthew Lloyd, James Hird, Brad Johnson, Warren Tredrea, Matthew Pavlich, Nick Riewoldt, Steve Johnson, Lance Franklin, Eddie Betts, Tom Hawkins, Jack Riewoldt

Some incredibly stiff omissions include Archer, Gibson, Goodwin, JP Kennedy, Harvey, Petracca, Bartel, JJ Kennedy, Gray, Greene, Jeremy Cameron, Cyril, Hall and Milne

Final 22:
B: Corey Enright - Darren Glass - Matthew Scarlett
HB: Andrew McLeod - Alex Rance - Luke Hodge (VC)
C: Nathan Buckley - Patrick Dangerfield - Chris Judd
HF: James Hird - Nick Riewoldt - Dustin Martin
F: Steve Johnson - Matthew Lloyd - Lance Franklin
R: Max Gawn - Gary Ablett Jr - Michael Voss (C)
I: Adam Goodes - Matthew Pavlich - Mark Ricciuto - Scott Pendlebury

Content for him to be 4th behind GAJ, Buddy and Judd at this stage.
What's interesting is the high ceiling when you sit down and do one of these sides noting it was easier to get into last centuries VFL/AFL team than what's ahead this century. 5 x AA and AFLCA is chump change in these squads.

In all honesty the only definitive lock is Gary Ablett Jnr followed some way back by Dustin Martin. Dusty will probably make it just because of his unprecedented 2017 and finals record as there are plenty of better fwd/mids statistically over a career so I wouldn't put my house on it.

Judd won't be there and I'm 60/40 on whether will see someone better than Buddy this century. Most likely we will.

Great point Frewy in regards to the last TOTC being picked in 1996, therefore if you write a TOTC for this running one, you're excluding four seasons from 1997-2000.

Team of the second century of AFL (1997-current)

In the style of the All-Australian team, a squad of 44 (11 defenders, 18 midfielders, 11 forwards, 4 rucks) and a final team of 22

DEF: Andrew McLeod, Gavin Wanganeen, Justin Leppitsch, Matthew Scarlett, Luke Hodge, Darren Glass, Corey Enright, Brian Lake, Alex Rance, Tom Stewart, Jeremy McGovern
MID: Nathan Buckley, Mark Ricciuto, Robert Harvey, Scott West, Shane Crawford, Ben Cousins, Jason Akermanis, Michael Voss, Simon Black, Chris Judd, Joel Selwood, Dane Swan, Scott Pendlebury, Sam Mitchell, Patrick Dangerfield, Dustin Martin, Nat Fyfe, Marcus Bontempelli
RUC: Dean Cox, Max Gawn, Aaron Sandilands, Adam Goodes (utility)
FWD: Matthew Lloyd, James Hird, Brad Johnson, Warren Tredrea, Matthew Pavlich, Nick Riewoldt, Steve Johnson, Lance Franklin, Eddie Betts, Tom Hawkins, Jack Riewoldt

Some incredibly stiff omissions include Archer, Gibson, Goodwin, JP Kennedy, Harvey, Petracca, Bartel, JJ Kennedy, Gray, Greene, Jeremy Cameron, Cyril, Hall and Milne

Final 22:
B: Corey Enright - Darren Glass - Matthew Scarlett
HB: Andrew McLeod - Alex Rance - Luke Hodge (VC)
C: Nathan Buckley - Patrick Dangerfield - Chris Judd
HF: James Hird - Nick Riewoldt - Dustin Martin
F: Steve Johnson - Matthew Lloyd - Lance Franklin
R: Max Gawn - Gary Ablett Jr - Michael Voss (C)
I: Adam Goodes - Matthew Pavlich - Mark Ricciuto - Scott Pendlebury
Great team.

I'm a massive Stevie J fan - reckon he is an all-timer. That being said, is there an argument for Greene ahead of him? Greene has been in the convo for most valuable player in the league for a couple of years. As good as Stevie was, he was never in that convo.

Great team.

I'm a massive Stevie J fan - reckon he is an all-timer. That being said, is there an argument for Greene ahead of him? Greene has been in the convo for most valuable player in the league for a couple of years. As good as Stevie was, he was never in that convo.
I think Greene will fall short of Johnson or Breust in goals and Hird in accolades, but if the giants can knock off a premiership in the next couple of years and he puts in another 150 goals then he probably takes a spot in the forward line.

If Toby hadn't spent almost half his career as a midfielder this probably isn't a discussion. Dusty has him covered for that mid/forward spot so he'll need to take it from the pure general forwards.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Team of the 21st Century (Rolling)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back