AFL Top 10 players

Remove this Banner Ad

You have to keep in mind that Judd had Cousins, Kerr, Embley and Cox at West Coast. The argument that Ablett looks better because of his teammates is crap. Judd wasn't as good at West Coast as Gablett is at Geelong (some people will dispute that) with a very similar qualities of teamates.

LOL similar quality of team mates, Judd had RJones, Fletcher, Butler, Stenglein whom he all made better. Fletcher being AA and Kerr's recent form really shows how good he is. While Ablett has Bartel, Corey, Selwood, Ling, Chapman, Kelly, Johnson, Enright, Ottens yet he is not as damaging as Judd or get his own ball. This may seem as a shot at Ablett but it isn't i think he is definately number 2 behind Judd

LOL similar quality of team mates, Judd had RJones, Fletcher, Butler, Stenglein whom he all made better. Fletcher being AA and Kerr's recent form really shows how good he is. While Ablett has Bartel, Corey, Selwood, Ling, Chapman, Kelly, Johnson, Enright, Ottens yet he is not as damaging as Judd or get his own ball. This may seem as a shot at Ablett but it isn't i think he is definately number 2 behind Judd

Here are the respective midfields:

Cousins - Bartel
Kerr - Selwood
Embley - Corey
Braun - Ling
Fletcher - Kelly
Cox - Ottens

Not much of difference when you consider how good Kerr was. You can't possibly say that the forwards or defenders have an influence on the clearances so having Johnson, Enright, etc has no influence on how good Gazza looks.

Here are the respective midfields:

Cousins - Bartel
Kerr - Selwood
Embley - Corey
Braun - Ling
Fletcher - Kelly
Cox - Ottens

Not much of difference when you consider how good Kerr was. You can't possibly say that the forwards or defenders have an influence on the clearances so having Johnson, Enright, etc has no influence on how good Gazza looks.

if u count Embley and Braun as midfielders then I cant see how Johnson, Chapman and Enright are not, they all rotate through there sometime

Cousins - Bartel
Kerr - Selwood
Embley - Corey
Braun - Ling
Fletcher - Chapman
Cox - Ottens

Bold = Better

Just saying collectively as a unit Geelong >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> WCE

if u count Embley and Braun as midfielders then I cant see how Johnson, Chapman and Enright are not, they all rotate through there sometime

Cousins - Bartel
Kerr - Selwood
Embley - Corey
Braun - Ling
Fletcher - Chapman
Cox - Ottens

Bold = Better

So Geelong had a slightly better (debatable) onball brigrade. This would make Ablett look 1000 times better than he really is.:rolleyes:

So Geelong had a slightly better (debatable) onball brigrade. This would make Ablett look 1000 times better than he really is.:rolleyes:

Never said that. Geelong has a bid edge on the midfield of the WCE. Just trying to justify my opinion why I rate Judd a little higher than Ablett. Nevertheless 1 & 2 in the comp.

This is my top 10 based on this year performances.

1. Gary Ablett
2. Chris Judd
3. Nick Riewoldt
4. Paul Chapman
5. Lenny Hayes
6. Aaron Sandilands
7. Brendon Goddard
8. Leigh Montagna
9. Dane Swan
10. Matthew Boyd

Give or take a few places...

My top 10 based on this year:

1) Gary Ablett
2) Chris Judd
3) Lenny Hayes
4) Nick Riewoldt
5) Paul Chapman
6) Leigh Montagna
7) Steve Johnson
8) Matthew Boyd
9) Dane Swan
10) Nick Dal Santo

Off this year alone D.Swan would have to be top 5 ranked.

Some stast curtosy of http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,25756727-19742,00.html

Swan has had 30 or more possessions in 10 of his 14 games this year, including tallies of 48, 41, 37 and 36.

Swan leads the AFL in disposals this year with 450 - 33 more than any other player.

He is fourth in effective kicks (155), fourth in contested possessions and first in loose-ball gets.

He is the most benched player in the league (117 times), he is also ranked No. 1 in the league for disposals from time on ground - a touch every three minutes and one second.

He is fourth in the AFL in inside-50s, No. 1 in direct score assists, and third in score involvements, awarded for any part in a scoring chain.

http://www.afl.com.au/statistics/tabid/73/default.aspx
He is 4th in marks, 106.

Also runs 20m in 2.9 secs for those who query his pace.

Has been great last 3 years this being his best.

My top 10 based on this year:

1. Gary Ablett Jr
2. Chris Judd
3. Dane Swan
4. Nick Riewoldt
5. Adam Goodes
6. Lenny Hayes
7. Leigh Montagna
8. Joel Selwood
9. Nick Dal Santo
10. Paul Chapman

Chris Judd Honours
Brownlow Medal 2004
Leigh Matthew Trophy 2006(AFL MVP)
AA 2004,2006,2008
Norm Smith 2005
John Nicholls Medal 2008(Carlton B&F)
West Coast B&F 2004,2006
AFLPA Best First Year Player 2002
I think that record speaks for itsef

Gary Ablett Honours
Leigh Matthews Trophy 2007,2008(AFL MVP)
AA 2007,2008
Geelong B&F 2007
Geelong Leading Goalkicker 2006
AFL Coaches Player of Year 2007,2008

I think Juddy takes the cake for best player in the league
followed closely by Gaz
GABjr sure has turned to to be a great player, and to think people use to yell at that he was nothing compared to his father.

Good on him love watching him play.

Off this year alone D.Swan would have to be top 5 ranked.

Some stast curtosy of http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,25756727-19742,00.html

http://www.afl.com.au/statistics/tabid/73/default.aspx
He is 4th in marks, 106.

Also runs 20m in 2.9 secs for those who query his pace.

Has been great last 3 years this being his best.

Your stats tell the world what they already knew - that Swann is a sheepdog. That's the role the club gives him, so no shame. Every club gives players the role either permanently or week to week of running around behind the herd flicking the ball from side to side looking for an opening. These players are stat flattered in some or all of total touches, (uncontested) marks and effective disposal.

The other thing these guys have in common is that they are not the true match winners. Never comparable to the guys who spend all day winning ball and/or moving it forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

what a gained from that stat page is that swan, out of the top 10 highest possession players, has clearly the most marks, 14 more than his closest rival bartel. Whether these marks are cheap backline possessions or taken on hard earned leads i cannot comment i dont watch or see enough of him! thought it was a point of interest tho...

Your stats tell the world what they already knew - that Swann is a sheepdog. That's the role the club gives him, so no shame. Every club gives players the role either permanently or week to week of running around behind the herd flicking the ball from side to side looking for an opening. These players are stat flattered in some or all of total touches, (uncontested) marks and effective disposal.

The other thing these guys have in common is that they are not the true match winners. Never comparable to the guys who spend all day winning ball and/or moving it forward.

Lol get your hand off it Swan is a goal kicking mid who gets possesion's all over the ground he doesn't hang off marks for the recieve, he also sets up a lot of goals through linking play streaming forward of center.

Did you neglect the 4th for contested disposals?

Obviously you have rarely seen him play.

what a gained from that stat page is that swan, out of the top 10 highest possession players, has clearly the most marks, 14 more than his closest rival bartel. Whether these marks are cheap backline possessions or taken on hard earned leads i cannot comment i dont watch or see enough of him! thought it was a point of interest tho...

If you mean the same cheap possesion's that Judd and Ablett get on occasion when dropping back to help defence out but not pivotal to thier play? if so yeah he does.

He also gets on the end of marks from streaming forward and marking in our f50.

Swanny is one of the best contested marks in the comp. You might not see him soar like an eagle but one on one he'll win most times.

As for Ablett vs Judd. Both are matchwinners. Judd moreso because he pulls up a few fairly ordinary footballers and makes them walk ten feet taller. Ablett is surrounded by stars. Judd, in his own side, really only has one contender to the title of matchwinner, Brenadan Fevola. He's a true star able to win a game off his own boot. Kruezer, Murphy and Gibbs aren't there yet.....(Yes Carlton fans I saw Kruezer's game last year vs Port).

...and Judd will win the Brownlow.

How can Judd currently be the best or second best player in the league?

We all know he's not a great leader (on the track yes, in a game no) and given he's not a great mark, then surely disposals are the key measure of his performance. He's currently 9th in the league with 16 blokes also having more kicks, generally a more damaging disposal than a handballl.

In addition, no player in the top 25 for disposals has less 1%ers than Judd.

Do we overrate blokes that are flashy, when if we took the party tricks out and focused on their actual contribution, they'd be a bit further down the list?

On current form I would have to say Riewoldt is the best player in the league. He is inspiring his team on a regular basis, through sheer acts of will and quality, not accumulating stats.

Geelong could get by without Ablett, I don’t think St Kilda would even be in the 8 without their skipper.

Over a three year horizon no one comes close to living with Ablett, his performances in the big games and his consistency stand him apart.

Judd is not even close. Fevola is their matchwinner.

These are MY top 10 of 2009.
These are who think are the 10 most important players.
Doesnt mean they are the most skilled, or talented, but judged on the jobs they have performed in their position this year

1 Gary Ablett
2 Nick Riewoldt
3 Dane Swan
4 Chris Judd
5 Alan Didak
6 Joel Selwood
7 Steve Johnson
8 Nick Dal Santo
9 Leigh Montagna
10 Simon Prestigiacomo

Looks like if you have less than 5 letters in your first name, your a shoe-in my list!

If the match is a draw - both teams’ best five players score 10,8,6,4,2
If the margin is 1-9 points - winners get 10,8,6,4,2; losers get 9,7,5,3,1
If the margin is 10-29 points - winners get 10,9,6,5,2; losers get 8,7,4,3,1
If the margin is 30-59 points - winners get 10,9,8,4,3; losers get 7,6,5,2,1
If the margin is 60-99 points - winners get 10,9,8,7,6; losers get 5,4,3,2,1
If the margin is 100+ points - winners get 10,9,8,7,6,5; losers get 4,3,2,1

AFL TOP 10 PLAYERS
Leaderboard After Round 15
Chris Judd (Carlton) 96
Dane Swan (Collingwood) 92
Gary Ablett (Geelong) 83
Nick Riewoldt (St Kilda) 80
Brad Sewell (Hawthorn) 74
Dean Cox (West Coast) 70
Kane Cornes (Port Adelaide) 68
Nick Dal Santo (St Kilda) 68
Sam Mitchell (Hawthorn) 67
Jonathon Brown (Brisbane Lions) 63
Adam Goodes (Sydney) 63
Steve Johnson (Geelong) 63
Marc Murphy (Carlton) 63
Scott Pendlebury (Collingwood) 63

1. Nick Riewoldt
2. Gary Ablett
3. Lenny Hayes
4. Leigh Montagna
5. Chris Judd
6. Nick Dal Santo
7. Steve Johnson
8. Dane Swan
9. Paul Chapman
10. Matthew Boyd/Joel Selwood

It's quiet hard this year compared to previous years. Getting the top 50 players is sort of straightforward but ranking them is hard.

I understand you have a method for ranking the players but I think it is too hard to rate individual performances based on the teams winning margins. Still it requires effort on your behalf to rank them so I give you credit.

I would go:

1. Gary Ablett
2. Nick Riewoldt
3. Lenny Hayes
4. Leigh Montagna
5. Chris Judd
6. Steve Johnson
7. Joel Selwood
8. Nick Dal Santo
9. Brendan Goddard
10. Matthew Boyd / Dane Swan

Probably leaning towards the top 2 sides too much.

great top ten. but i woul have B.Lake in there over D.Swan i rate D.Swan but when i see him play he get alot of cheap touches but he is still a good player but i think B.Lake should be there.

great top ten. but i woul have B.Lake in there over D.Swan i rate D.Swan but when i see him play he get alot of cheap touches but he is still a good player but i think B.Lake should be there.
Brian Lake? From the Dogs I'd have Boyd, Aker, Higgins and Hargrave before Lake. I have Lake just scraping into the top 50. He has been awesome the last two weeks but over the entire season there have been plenty better.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Top 10 players

Remove this Banner Ad

Back