Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XI - McKay. Goldstein. Gresham. Duursma!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So if we go by rumours what’s the best 22 looking like.

FB Laverde McKay Mcgrath
HB Ridley Cox Redman
C Martin merrett durham
HF Sheil stringer Perkins
FF Gresham Wright langford
Fol Draper Setterfield parish

Ic Cox Caldwell Hobbs Bryan
Merret I was probably a bit hard on but he could be the best outside leaning midfielder in the comp yet we continue to plug him inside due to lack of depth and quality in the midfield. Maybe reading his profile wrong but I would see a bigger impact from Zac as a wing/HB than as a starting 3 midfielder.

can't run out a km without puffing apparently. KPF who can double as a ruck, yes please

Central midfielders get the most ball usage opportunities and Zach is one of the best users in the comp.

He’d be great elsewhere because he’s Zach Merrett and he’s great everywhere.

Truck tried Zach at HB 2 years ago to start the season and he was fine but the team was worse because taking Zach out of the midfield meant he was replaced in the most important role in the team with a worse player. Scott tried Merrett at HF and had similarly flawed results

• McKay is an ok pickup but 6 years is nuts, and seems a reflection of us panicking after it became clear Zerk was leaving
  • Goldstein is fine as a backup/coaching option. Brad will totally look to play him more than he should though
  • Gresham is a move I could only get around if it really is an average $$$ deal. Otherwise it's pretty grim stuff

FB Laverde McKay Mcgrath
HB Ridley Cox Redman
C Martin merrett durham

Central midfielders get the most ball usage opportunities and Zach is one of the best users in the comp.

Truck tried Zach at HB 2 years ago to start the season and he was fine but the team was worse because taking Zach out of the midfield meant he was replaced in the most important role in the team with a worse player. Scott tried Merrett at HF and had similarly flawed results
I thought the only reason Scott played Merrett at half forward was to break a tag, otherwise he woukd have stayed in the midfield.

McKay is an ok pickup but 6 years is nuts, and seems a reflection of us panicking after it became clear Zerk was leaving
A big body to wrestle with some of the other big bodies in the comp, hopefully take some pressure off Laverde and Ridley to provide more rebound...

Goldstein is fine as a backup/coaching option. Brad will totally look to play him more than he should though
Maybe, but if the threat of playing Goldy is made real to them then it will keep Draper honest and Bryan will need to spend the summer in the gym.

Gresham is a move I could only get around if it really is an average $$$ deal. Otherwise it's pretty grim stuff
He's a free agent, so paying him an above average salary when we have money coming out our ears and not having to use a pick on him isn't a terrible idea. Indigenous man as well, although idk if he's interested in leadership or supporting the young fellas.

His knee is more interesting:

FB Laverde McKay Mcgrath
HB Ridley Cox Redman
C Martin merrett durham

You've listed Cox twice, but overall it looks OK.

Brad will totally look to play him more than he should though

Only thing surer than this is death and taxes.

Also we need to cool our jets on Gresham when it comes to the money and contract. It could be the Mark Williams (circa 2009) cringe moment all over again (remember that one guys?) :$

Only reason I'd do it is cos he's better than Snelling/Guelfi/Wanganeen/Davey Jr but don't wanna make any dents in our future for it

You've listed Cox twice, but overall it looks OK.

Whoops. Could have Reid or Baldwin or Tsatas or Mass as the 22nd player. Let’s say it’s Baldwin. Hind as Sub

Makes you wonder if Essendon gets 2-3 high draft picks (first/2nd round picks) who will be able to break into the side and how that affects any reclaimation players they would be looking at as free agents.

Even the VFL side is starting to look decent/better.

VFL best 22 looking like

FB Hayes Weid Kelly
HB mass Reid Heppell
C Tex
HF Davey jones Guelfi
FF Davey Hunter Menzie
OB Goldy, Tsatas ???

that’s 3 spots left for 2 mids and an outside player.

Hope not, but this is starting to look a lot like mk2 of Scott throwing money at B grade players (Polec, pittard etc)
Who gives a shit. It’s a shallow draft, we can’t fill our list spots with decent youth and these guys are free.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We’re signing Gresham the gun small forward not the below average midfielder right? Right???
I'd say
He makes no sense as a mid for us. Makes a lot of sense as a forward.

Surely we make a play for Hollands? I'd tell him he's 1st rotation inside mid if he has a good pre season.
Shouldnt need the rocket/condition.

Surely we make a play for Hollands? I'd tell him he's 1st rotation inside mid if he has a good pre season.
Have you seen him play this year? Apparently been quite average even at reserves level. Also a massive case of FIGJAM. Not sure more hubris is the right ingredient for our group.

Have you seen him play this year? Apparently been quite average even at reserves level. Also a massive case of FIGJAM. Not sure more hubris is the right ingredient for our group.
I haven't seen heaps but he gets thrown around/out of position a bit. And you aren't going to find guys who are flying and in form, sometimes you need to take a chance and his height and size is something we can use.

Stats seems decent at VFL level, looks to have played well today in the prelim. Curious on his trade cost.

I haven't seen heaps but he gets thrown around/out of position a bit. And you aren't going to find guys who are flying and in form, sometimes you need to take a chance and his height and size is something we can use.

Stats seems decent at VFL level, looks to have played well today in the prelim. Curious on his trade cost.
Played on the wing. Apparently a plodder too.

Who gives a s**t. It’s a shallow draft, we can’t fill our list spots with decent youth and these guys are free.
Don't mind it if
  • we don't spend too much $$$ (sounds like at least 2 of those 3 are coming with big $ attached)
  • those players aren't taking game opportunities away from young developing players (we're not winning a flag next year so the focus should be on development, not pinching another game or 2)
  • those players aren't taking up list spots in a draft with more depth because they're signed to contracts for too long

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back