Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XI - McKay. Goldstein. Gresham. Duursma!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Definitely

He kicked 35 goals in his 3rd year as a 20 year old

He will have to play that role for us, he cant expect too much more mid time than tiny burst each week

Yeh he kicked 35 five years ago. Has had multiple significant injuries since then and has averaged less than a goal a game since.

At least he looks like a footballer when out there, I’m just not convinced with the coin he’ll take up in our salary cap that he is the right target.

Yeh he kicked 35 five years ago. Has had multiple significant injuries since then and has averaged less than a goal a game since.

At least he looks like a footballer when out there, I’m just not convinced with the coin he’ll take up in our salary cap that he is the right target.
Depends how much were paying him

And how much cap room we have for his main tenure

None of which we really know

People forget just last year he avg 23 disp and basically 1 goal and 1 behind a game last year

If were offering 500k a year then that could well be 400k a year for the last 3-4 years of his deal and thay doesnt affect our ability to get anyone else or keep anyone

Hes probably our brent daniel and with his inability to be a 400m runner better close to goal where he can use his explosivness, dynamic ability and agility

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The thing about Gresham is that despite a lot of small players on the team, Small forward is a significant need on the list.

Menzie, Guelfi, Snelling, Davey, Sheil, Caldwell, Hobbs all filled the 2/3 SF roles available any given week and all had significant flaws in their games at SF.

Every player Essendon is looking to bring in either helps team structure or set training/playing standards.

In the case of Gresham it’s both. He’s a legitimate AFL standard SF. He might not be elite but he’s solid and that’s a vast improvement from both a squad and best 22 option.

Edit: also his best SF skills are as a crumber. Knows where to be when forwards spill a mark and Essendons forwards sure know how to spill a mark

Last edited:
Merrett is a nicely balanced midfielder with elite kicking. There exists a realm between pure outside midfielder and pure inside midfielder. These are the guys that can end up playing outside the midfield on a flank to accommodate other guys who are less versatile, or go on-ball as needed.

Problem is that we simply don't draft for a balanced midfield so end up with a heap of same-same type players, and because Merrett is the only elite kick of our midfielders, he inevitably gets tagged.
Merret I was probably a bit hard on but he could be the best outside leaning midfielder in the comp yet we continue to plug him inside due to lack of depth and quality in the midfield. Maybe reading his profile wrong but I would see a bigger impact from Zac as a wing/HB than as a starting 3 midfielder.
Wonder if we nibble at Hayes in the bzt deal to come play with his brother and be the third ruck
can't run out a km without puffing apparently. KPF who can double as a ruck, yes please

Both McKay and Gresham would be handy additions to our best 22, and Goldstein a nice experienced back up ruck if the rumors are true and he comes across from North with McKay...

I wouldn't do it.. wed be in the public eye doing essentially the same thing to Brodie as Melbourne currently are
We do not have Max :)
Melbourne should have played Grundy last night anyway . Max had issues against two rucks and was playing injured and McDonald was rubbish. Did not even use Schache.
Sam does not ruck a whole game anyway. Not the ideal situation but the draft pick would make up for it.
Doubt it happens anyway. Seems like he is 90% at Sydney.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back