Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XI - McKay. Goldstein. Gresham. Duursma!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With D'Ambrosio wanting out I think we have to prioritise getting Sinn as a part of the BZT deal.

How have I moved the goal posts we literally got pick 7 for daniher the following year, we hardly lost out keeping him for another year.

Giving an average player 750k is a whole lot worse than that imo
Who knows what that does to the locker room as well.
Come on.
you are one of my favourite posters but this is wrong.
‘we would have been infinitely better off trading Daniher.
‘we were never keeping joe and we would have got more than Nik Cox for him if we traded a year early.

Come on.
you are one of my favourite posters but this is wrong.
‘we would have been infinitely better off trading Daniher.
‘we were never keeping joe and we would have got more than Nik Cox for him if we traded a year early.
We don’t know what we would’ve got from him though the following year. For all the club knew Sydney could’ve got daniher fit and made top 4 the following season. I can see why they decided to hold onto him, and we still walked about with pick 7. Hardly a bad result

We don’t know what we would’ve got from him though the following year. For all the club knew Sydney could’ve got daniher fit and made top 4 the following season. I can see why they decided to hold onto him, and we still walked about with pick 7. Hardly a bad result
I think it was a piss poor result when you see what other marquee players got but we will have to agree to disagree.

I think it was a piss poor result when you see what other marquee players got but we will have to agree to disagree.
Free agent marquee players?
Injury prone marquee players?

If I do recall essendon were going to do the deal if Sydney gave us 5 and 9 in the ‘19 draft (if they traded papley) but they weren’t willing to do so. Which is probably a good thing because it’s likely we would’ve taken McAsey with the first pick.

Leake and Wilson aren't left footed rebounders. Doubt Hardeman comes into consideration that early. Either way I'd hope we don't spend our 1st on a half back.

why?

HB is one of the most important positions in the comp as that’s where all rebound scoring chains start and it’s a place where Essendon is weak.

What type of player would you ideally want Essendon to draft?

why?

HB is one of the most important positions in the comp as that’s where all rebound scoring chains start and it’s a place where Essendon is weak.

I’d happily take a guy like Hayden young / Jordan dawson at our first pick (not saying there’s anything like that in this class). It’s exactly what we need

(Log in to remove this ad.)

why?

• Jordan Dawson - Drafted as a half forward
  • Mason Redman - Drafted as a half forward
  • Bailey Dale - Drafted as a half forward/wing
  • Dan Houston - Drafted as a half forward
  • Jack Sinclair - Drafted as a half forward/mid
  • Keidean Coleman - Draft as a half forward/wing
  • Caleb Daniel - Drafted as a mid/forward
  • Daniel Rioli - Drafted as a half forward/wing
Just a few examples off the top of my head. Half back is the easiest position to play. As long as they are a good kick and either strong overhead or quick they can generally be moulded into an AFL standard half back. By targeting forward half players you essentially get to see if they can make it there, if not you have a half back as a plan b.

Just a few examples off the top of my head. Half back is the easiest position to play. As long as they are a good kick and either strong overhead or quick they can generally be moulded into an AFL standard half back. By targeting forward half players you essentially get to see if they can make it there, if not you have a half back as a plan b.
Miles Bergman is another example although he did spend a little sample size as a defender in his draft year he was mostly forward and some times wing

Miles Bergman is another example although he did spend a little sample size as a defender in his draft year he was mostly forward and some times wing
Sheezel, Blakey, Dyl. Williams, Weller, Burton, Florent, S.Mitchell, Stocker, NWM

The list goes on

At the same time most of those guys play mid/ forward as juniors because that’s where gun kids mainly play juniors, it just so happens that a lot of them are suited to being half backs instead at afl level. At the same time a lot of half backs who get drafted are the ones who get turned / are tried to be turned into midfielders at afl level Hayden young, lachie ash, mcgrath, laird, Whitfield, docherty. I don’t care where we get them from/ where they play their junior footy - we need to earmark someone with that skillset to be another attacking option for us off half back.

I just waded through too many posts here and elsewhere with St Kilda nuffies being willfully obtuse (and Sam Edmund dribbling to boot).

It's fine to think the Ralphy thought-bubble isn't going to happen, but it at least has an internal logic to it. 13 doesn't exist unless Essendon artificially create it by setting Gresham for a comfortable retirement. There is no motive for Essendon to pay band 1 wages if they're not getting the pick they create: what is our incentive without it? We enrich St Kilda...why, so they take a player we don't need to get off the books, a player we would be happy to keep? We're not pushing Shiel out the door and we have cash to burn. The only incentive for us to move him on and to pay Gresham overs is to essentially purchase a new 1st rounder.

The comparator isn't "St Kilda keep 13". Without the deal, Essendon pay Gresham market rate which is likely band 2/3. The comparator is "what would St Kilda prefer as Gresham compo: (a) Shiel, or (b) Band 2/3 compo (i.e., mid-30s pick).

Now it is all well and good to say "I'd prefer the mid-30s pick". It's also completely fair to say "I don't want to do a deal that gives a competitor club a 1st round pick". That makes sense as well. But it blows my mind how many nuffies are saying "no I would just keep pick 13". That's not on the table. It is: (a) get Shiel (but enrich Essendon with a 1st rounder), or (b) get mid 30s pick (and don't enrich Essendon with a 1st rounder).

fwiw, I also don't see the deal happening given the likely backlash, but it is a clear "win-win" where both clubs are getting more than they would in the alternative (so long as you rate Sheil over mid-30s pick, which I think most observers would). Kudos to Ralphy for thinking a bit outside the box about how the rules could be gamed in this instance: he's driving clicks like no other.

At the same time most of those guys play mid/ forward as juniors because that’s where gun kids mainly play juniors, it just so happens that a lot of them are suited to being half backs instead at afl level. At the same time a lot of half backs who get drafted are the ones who get turned / are tried to be turned into midfielders at afl level Hayden young, lachie ash, mcgrath, laird, Whitfield, docherty. I don’t care where we get them from/ where they play their junior footy - we need to earmark someone with that skillset to be another attacking option for us off half back.
Every guy you listed aside from Laird were 1st round picks, most towards the point end too. Rioli was the only guy I initially listed that was taken inside the 1st round. More often than not you don't need to spend high picks to get quality half-backs. I think you'll find that guys drafted as half backs that play elsewhere (especially forward) are generally exceptions to the rule. I prefer forward half players as they present as a double chance to make the grade.

Every guy you listed aside from Laird were 1st round picks, most towards the point end too. Rioli was the only guy I initially listed that was taken inside the 1st round. More often than not you don't need to spend high picks to get quality half-backs. I think you'll find that guys drafted as half backs that play elsewhere (especially forward) are generally exceptions to the rule. I prefer forward half players as they present as a double chance to make the grade.

Fair enough. I appreciate the thought that went into the post.

Although I do think that if the player your bringing in is likely going to play HB or is earmarked to start there or on a wing

It feels like semantics to say that’s drafting a mid/Forward or Wing vs a HB

I do think in many ways it’s just how positions break down where wing, HB and HF have the same required skillset and where players end up tends to be based on their temperament as much as anything else

HS saying that Goldstein is likely Collingwood bound.

What do we do? With Draper having a few injury struggles we can’t just have Bryan as the sole ruck. He doesn’t have the tank for it.

HS saying that Goldstein is likely Collingwood bound.

What do we do? With Draper having a few injury struggles we can’t just have Bryan as the sole ruck. He doesn’t have the tank for it.
Plenty around. Strachan, Fort, Preuss, Flynn, Campbell, Soldo.

Stringer actually wants to be here

We don't have anyone else who can play Stringer's role in the forward line as well as he does when fit

We don't have anyone else who can play Stringer's role in the midfield as well as he does when fit.

Our leadership group sat him down and told him to get his s**t together over the off-season/pre-season because we need him next year.
First I've heard re the last paragraph. Yay hooray if true.

Yeah just had a read through his thread on the Hawks board. Lacks intensity and consistency by the look of it which is exactly what we don’t need.

seems perfect for our senior side.

images

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back