Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XI - McKay. Goldstein. Gresham. Duursma!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, it looks like 'we'll give you Shiel if you help us get the pick.'

The pick doesn't materialise if they don't agree to the terms so they're not giving anything away that they otherwise have.

That's the benefit for St Kilda, Shiel for Gresham and more cap space. I can see how that would be valuable for St Kilda in the next 2 season.

That would explain why approval is required, because St Kilda can't be forced to hand the pick over if there are separate deals. Nothing stops them reneging and keeping the pick because the FA deal would have to go through first (otherwise the pick doesn't exist).

It explains how this becomes the next Bowes-like salary dump.

It would help if Ralph didn't write like English is his 3rd language.

You can do the Sheil trade first as there is some overlap with the trade/FA periods.

It would just have to be pick 12 instead of 13 (compo pick) not that there’s much difference

Trade Sheil all paid up + 4th rd pick for pick 12

While having seen a copy of greshams contract. Once trade goes through submit Greshams contract and saints get compo pick (pick 13) can happen the same day

Only way this gets done is if St Kilda's salary cap management has reached the same dire levels that Collingwood's did 3 or so years ago.

The first key difference between what is being proposed and the Bowes deal is that the R1 pick doesn't exist unless we play ball.

We create a R1 pick by offering a FA deal for more than Gresham is worth on the proviso that we get the pick and we give the Saints Shiel while paying most if not all of his salary in return. The Shiel part is the consideration required for the AFL to approve the deal. We otherwise have no way of forcing the Saints to hand the pick over once we create it. As Zach Package has siad, the AFL might need to see a little more going the Saints way to approve the deal.

It's not a salary dump either way. We're using our cap space to buy a first round pick, assuming the AFL allows it.

Last edited:
Never seen Saints supporters in action before?
You make a good point, sir. Case in point, when we played them this year and this Saints halfwit was carrying on half through the last quarter at the Essingotn supporters around him and it was pointed out that they were celebrating one flag and his response was "As long as we beat Essendon every year, that is all that matters" 🤣

You can do the Sheil trade first as there is some overlap with the trade/FA periods.

It would just have to be pick 12 instead of 13 (compo pick) not that there’s much difference

Trade Sheil all paid up + 4th rd pick for pick 12

While having seen a copy of greshams contract. Once trade goes through submit Greshams contract and saints get compo pick (pick 13) can happen the same day

That just transfers the risk in issue from us to the Saints.

If we've instigated this it's for us to resolve the risk.

I also doubt St Kilda wants to downgrade its R1 selection to help us out more.

View attachment 1813318

From a ralphy article today he’s gotta be smoking crack.

The saints board are losing their absolute minds, willing to burn SOS and the place down and rightfully so.
Ain’t no way anyone is giving us pick 13 for a 31 year old injury prone Dylan Shiel.

SOS must be absolutely In love with him after being at GWS and flying him to Noosa at the baggers desperate to get him, I’d be livid if I was a saints supporter, please make it so.. for the melts
Nah its happening - only bit Ralphy missed was that you were also giving us Pick 8 for Seb Ross.

Pre trade madness to help entertain supporters of clubs not in the finals.

I think we'd take Shiel but I doubt we would be giving up that much to move up a few spots in a very compromised draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

27+Shiel+Shiel's salary seems like overs, no?
Wouldn't say so, only 1 year of his contract we'd still be paying which really won't hurt us given our cap situation. Plus I'm not sure he's in the best 23 anyway next season so may so well get some value for him while we can.

Ralph wouldn't be going with something so stupid without heavy vibes IMO. I think he's just missing pieces. It'd be Shiel for two seconds, we then generate the band 1 for Gresham. Saints get to keep their first and trade out pick 13 for Henry and steak knives.

Saints out: Gresham, 2x seconds.
Saints in: Henry, steak knives (3rd rounder) and Shiel.

Last edited:
I'd prefer to try and move Shiel and Stringer to Melbourne for Harmes and one of their 1sts than the Saints deal.

Why not both?

Both Stringer + Sheils salary’s are sunk cost
Stringer actually wants to be here

We don't have anyone else who can play Stringer's role in the forward line as well as he does when fit

We don't have anyone else who can play Stringer's role in the midfield as well as he does when fit.

Our leadership group sat him down and told him to get his shit together over the off-season/pre-season because we need him next year.

Stringer actually wants to be here

We don't have anyone else who can play Stringer's role in the forward line as well as he does when fit

We don't have anyone else who can play Stringer's role in the midfield as well as he does when fit.

Our leadership group sat him down and told him to get his s**t together over the off-season/pre-season because we need him next year.
‘When fit’ is doing a lot of heavy lifting in that post

The only way I see that deal doing through is if we also hand the Saints pick 27

Ess In Gresh 13
Ess Out 27, Shiel

Saints In Shiel, 27
Saints out: 13 (compo)

Saints get Shiel and 27 for Gresham

But more likely Ralph generating clocks
This is about right if we don’t pay Shiel’s wage

Feel like we are already overpaying Gresham to change 28 compo to 13 compo. Chunk in Shiel to pay for the Saints doing us a favour.. should be enough IMO

except they'd get something for Gresham better than Shiel even if not band 1.
Unless we're picking up all the salary for Shiel.

so 13 becomes the salary cap dump
Shiel the make weight

I'm operating under the assumption that we will pay the vast majority, and that’s fine, the money means nothing to us.

If it was up to me I’d probably even take it a step further and say to the Saints ‘we’ll take on the contract you hate the most in full’ so it gives them even more cap relief.

This is about right if we don’t pay Shiel’s wage

Feel like we are already overpaying Gresham to change 28 compo to 13 compo. Chunk in Shiel to pay for the Saints doing us a favour.. should be enough IMO

27 is closer to 37 after all the bids. 3 maybe 4 GC guys, Croft, McCabe, NM priority, McKay pick, Gresham pick, Jiath for Hawthorn, Cleary for Swans. It's not very valuable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back