AFLW AFLW 2023 - Geelong & the greater league

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Go North .

Couple of fun facts:

• Last time a Brisbane side beat a Geelong side in a prelim, they got pantsed in the grand final.
  • Last time a Geelong side lost a prelim, they won the flag the following year.

Couple of fun facts:

• Last time a Brisbane side beat a Geelong side in a prelim, they got pantsed in the grand final.
  • Last time a Geelong side lost a prelim, they won the flag the following year.

Briss girls bit to much carry on ..

North it's your time .
Pity we not in it ..

If I'm reading things correctly it looks like we've played in the three top drawing finals crowd-wise across the AFLW finals series to date (biggest crowd overall was our home final against Essendon). The GF will probably relegate that to 3 out of the top 4 but its great to see Geelong supporters coming out to support the team in person. Does anyone know how we ranked crowd-wise over the season?
Austadiums website: AFLW Crowds | Austadiums

looks like we were second to Ikon park ... yeah nah ... more like about fourth, but pretty good overall.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

MONIQUE Conti is the Tiger queen, the Richmond midfielder crowned the AFLW's best and fairest player on Monday night.

Such was Conti's dominance and the evenness across the rest of the competition, the star Tiger sewed up the win with a three-vote game against Hawthorn in Cairns, taking her tally to 20, with Adelaide's Anne Hatchard, North Melbourne's Ash Riddell and Essendon co-captain Bonnie Toogood in equal-second with 13.

The midfielder took out the count on 23 votes, with a four-way tie for second place on 16 votes - Geelong's Amy McDonald, Sydney's Chloe Molloy, Riddell and Gold Coast's Claudia Whitfort.

Prespakis & Morrison were robbed of an AA selection.
Niamh Kelly & Laura Gardiner do not deserve to be in the team over Pres & Nina. Period.
Gunjaca stiff looking at who’s in that backline as well.

Prespakis & Morrison were robbed of an AA selection.
Niamh Kelly & Laura Gardiner do not deserve to be in the team over Pres & Nina. Period.
Gunjaca stiff looking at who’s in that backline as well.

I can understand Laura Gardiner getting in - she absolutely killed it this season at Sydney.

I can understand Laura Gardiner getting in - she absolutely killed it this season at Sydney.
I don’t. An accumulator with ordinary disposal who’s been made to look better by playing at the feet of the best ruck in the league.

If she was at Geelong, she’d be 4th choice in our midfield still. May push Amac as the 3rd musketeer in our group but she so far behind the other two it’s not funny.
On that simple rationale she doesn’t deserve her place over Nina & Pres

I don’t. An accumulator with ordinary disposal who’s been made to look better by playing at the feet of the best ruck in the league.

If she was at Geelong, she’d be 4th choice in our midfield still. May push Amac as the 3rd musketeer in our group but she so far behind the other two it’s not funny.

On Sydney’s ruck Morphett, if the rumours are true that we are chasing her signature, it would be a huge signing and enough to take us to the holy grail next year.
Gun player.

On Sydney’s ruck Morphett, if the rumours are true that we are chasing her signature, it would be a huge signing and enough to take us to the holy grail next year.
Gun player.

I read she's on the verge of re-signing at Sydney.

Laura had a really strong season & deserved her acknowledgment with a well earned AA selection - she earned herself 6+ coaches votes each match this season, and that made her the first known AFLW player to earn votes from each coach for each match of the H&A season

I agree that she'd still be the 4th or 5th choice at Geelong - behind the big 3, and then between her and D. Moloney for the next in line mid

But I think it's great she was willing to make the move and to see it's paid off for her

All hail Dan!

It was clear Hood's time was up, but so far it's seems we have made the right choice with Lowther.

After stuffing up quite a few things early doors, the AFL assistance package we got coming into Lowther's first year has been instrumental.
We had to nail the trade and draft period that year (2021), or we would be entrenched in the bottom half for years, and thankfully we did.
Scheer, Emerson, Prespakis, Friswell, Featherston, Johnson. Fuller, Gunjaca and Kearns joined.
A serious injection of talent into a pretty ordinary list at the time.

The talent is one thing, but to Lowther's credit he has an ability to extract the best out of players and has also instilled a sense of comraderie and joy in the playing group that had evaporated under Paul Hood.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back