AFLW AFLW 2023 - Geelong & the greater league

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

This rings completely true to me. Go to a game and it's tangible. The atmosphere, the relationship between fans and players, etc...
There's a fresh accessible 'vibe' to it all.

And there's nothing manufactured about it. it's organically grown into something that's genuine and completely unique, but yet somehow still unmistakably the Geelong Football Club.

This rings completely true to me. Go to a game and it's tangible. The atmosphere, the relationship between fans and players, etc...
There's a fresh accessible 'vibe' to it all.

And there's nothing manufactured about it. it's organically grown into something that's genuine and completely unique, but yet somehow still unmistakably the Geelong Football Club.

It's been there from day dot. I can still remember our first ever VFLW game a couple of years before we even entered the AFLW competition, and the VFL side gave the VFLW girls a guard of honor as they ran out onto the ground, and after the game there was a massive huddle with the entire squad and their families singing the song out on the ground before walking off.

How good to be in the top section of this list which would seem a vast change from previous seasons

But when looking at the 4 teams with the highest goal kicker still being in single digits, you start to wonder how St Kilda finished only percentage outside of the 8, and Collingwood a game & percentage outside of it - how much will both teams be chasing a forward target during the upcoming trade period

Looking at our points for versus against for the H&A season - only 5 teams scored more points than us across the season, with only 3 teams conceding less. Think we need to find a good small forward to work at the feet of our talls, as that's one position we did seem to lack at times

Bugger this, :mad:
GREATER Western Sydney has secured a significant AFLW coup, staving off serious rival interest in the club's superstar midfielder Alyce Parker and signing the four-time club best-and-fairest winner to a deal that could stretch as long as four years.

As revealed by AFL.com.au in November, the Giants had found themselves in a fight to retain Parker amid genuine interest from a host of Victorian rivals including Geelong, Essendon, Richmond and Carlton.

However, having also met with key Giants officials in the aftermath of surveying rival attention, Parker has opted to re-sign with her local club on a two-year deal with an option to extend for a further two seasons at any time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And don't follow the Western Bulldogs if after trade advice - this situation seems to have been handled very poorly...

It's understood Carlton is closing on a deal to land Western Bulldogs tall Celine Moody, the twin sister of the club's dual All-Australian ruck Bre Moody, who has already requested a trade to the Blues ahead of the AFLW's player movement window, which opens on Thursday.

Moody's future at the Dogs had been clouded after the club targeted a deal for Sydney's ruck Ally Morphett last month, with Carlton now set to pounce on the 42-game player to play alongside her twin sister. Morphett has since signed a long-term deal to stay at the Swans.

From the above article, there's one mention of Geelong:

"West Coast is hoping to tie up deals for Gold Coast's 2022 (season six) best and fairest winning midfielder Alison Drennan and Geelong defender Annabel Johnson, but could lose emerging youngster Shanae Davison to premier Brisbane."

----

Don't get me wrong, I'd rather we didn't lose Johnson but there's others I'd be much more frustrated to lose

Johnson is only 23 & logic says the best is ahead of her, but from her 3 seasons with us, 2 have been injury interrupted - 4 games in her first season, only the 1 this year, while she played all 11 last season.

Last season Johnson looked like she could play a long term role in our defence, but in her absence this year we saw Kearns get an opportunity in defence and not sure she was out of place back there. I thought Kearns in defence was a different & improved prospect from what we saw of her as a forward, and crossing fingers she re-signs, as there's a spot for her next season

So, while a loss I'm not sure she's in the irreplaceable category and maybe it opens the opportunity for a youngster coming through

"West Coast is hoping to tie up deals for Gold Coast's 2022 (season six) best and fairest winning midfielder Alison Drennan and Geelong defender Annabel Johnson, but could lose emerging youngster Shanae Davison to premier Brisbane."

----

Don't get me wrong, I'd rather we didn't lose Johnson but there's others I'd be much more frustrated to lose

Johnson is only 23 & logic says the best is ahead of her, but from her 3 seasons with us, 2 have been injury interrupted - 4 games in her first season, only the 1 this year, while she played all 11 last season.

Last season Johnson looked like she could play a long term role in our defence, but in her absence this year we saw Kearns get an opportunity in defence and not sure she was out of place back there. I thought Kearns in defence was a different & improved prospect from what we saw of her as a forward, and crossing fingers she re-signs, there's a spot for her next season

So, while a loss I'm not sure she's in the irreplaceable category and maybe it opens the opportunity for a youngster coming through
I presume we get draft pick/s from west coast for her. What would she be worth?
3rd round?

I presume we get draft pick/s from west coast for her. What would she be worth?
3rd round?

She's played 16 of a possible 34 games, so we may ask for a 2nd round pick but doubt we'd get much more than a 3rd

Wonder if there's a player we may be interested in that we could work into the deal

She's played 16 of a possible 34 games, so we may ask for a 2nd round pick but doubt we'd get much more than a 3rd

Wonder if there's a player we may be interested in that we could work into the deal
We need to bring a couple of players again.
Wonder what west coast have that could be attractive.

Just looking at some of the delistings and what our list needs.
We need a zippy small forward and I see Renee Saulitis has been delisted.
She did her knee, but if she is well down the path in her recovery then I think she is worth a look.
She was very quick and dangerous in the U18

Being a Brisbane local, I have nothing against these teams. Hell, would've much preferred Lions over Pies.

But after the prelim... I just hope they get a taste of what our girls got last week.
As a blow-in of nearly forty years I felt exactly the same way ... but since the footy gods did not come through, up to us to hammer them next year.

----

Last season Johnson looked like she could play a long term role in our defence, but in her absence this year we saw Kearns get an opportunity in defence and not sure she was out of place back there. I thought Kearns in defence was a different & improved prospect from what we saw of her as a forward, and crossing fingers she re-signs, as there's a spot for her next season

Anna-Rose might be the logical "next up" considering she got a spot in the prelim?

I know that was on a needs basis but the fact the coaches were willing to put into the firing line shows they have a lot of faith in here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back