AFLW AFLW 2023 - Geelong & the greater league

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have heard from a trustworthy source that Bowie was only offered tier 3 for next season (multiple year offer) which puts her out of our top 8 players. Was even told JCG and Friz had passed her ... which is mindboggling.

Based on this year, who do you speculate are in the tiers? Here's mine:

Tier 1 (3) - Georgie, AMac, Nina
Tier 2 (6) - Scheer, Bowen, Emonson, Surman, Gunj, Scott
Tier 3 (6) - MegMc, Darcy M, Kearns, Webster, Parry, Darby
Tier 4 (16) - everyone else
If 3 players are on Tier 1, there has to be shuffling around of other tiers to stay under the cap--only 4 players on Tier 2, for example, and then an extra player pushed down to Tier 4.

If 3 players are on Tier 1, there has to be shuffling around of other tiers to stay under the cap--only 4 players on Tier 2, for example, and then an extra player pushed down to Tier 4.
Correct, I adjusted the 2 to 3 last second as I couldn't accept Nina sitting on the T2 line haha

Have heard from a trustworthy source that Bowie was only offered tier 3 for next season (multiple year offer) which puts her out of our top 8 players. Was even told JCG and Friz had passed her ... which is mindboggling.

By your guess list, for next year, I don't think Scott should be tier 2, and Bowen, and Surman going forward. Webster and Parry should be.

By your guess list, for next year, I don't think Scott should be tier 2, and Bowen, and Surman going forward. Webster and Parry should be.
Yeah it was just a rough guestimate based on this season. No idea what the actual tiers players are actually on.

I'd put Bowen a fair way ahead of Croc - but Mikayla and Friz are about on par imo. Bowen is in front of Friswell for impact and output right now, but Friz was closing the gap pretty strongly by season's end.

Tiers for next season (like yourself, pure speculation on my part):

1: G. Prespaskis, N. Morrison, A. Moloney
2: C. Gunjaca, J. Parry, C. Scheer, A. McDonald
3: Z. Friswell, D. Moloney, R. Kearns, M. Bowen, M. McDonald, R. Webster
4: everyone else

something like that anyway; actually quite a tough task!

Would Kearns really be getting more $$ than Aishling Moloney?

This year, maybe.

Moving forward though, we should be offering Aishling the Maximum.
She's a match-winner, she's unique and she will get better.
Aishling has shown her commitment to the club by making such a bold move from Ireland; she has delivered on-field big-style and the club should remunerate her accordingly.

Would Kearns really be getting more $$ than Aishling Moloney?
They were playing gaelic footy unpaid. Aishling would have been Tier 4 this year.

We'd be smart to sign her on a long term deal with incremental increases in Tiers each season. On her current trajectory she'd be Tier 1 in a season or two.
(Just realised I left her out of my list! oops)

This year, maybe.

Moving forward though, we should be offering Aishling the Maximum.
She's a match-winner, she's unique and she will get better.
Aishling has shown her commitment to the club by making such a bold move from Ireland; she has delivered on-field big-style and the club should remunerate her accordingly.
Tier 2 top level for me. I agree with all that, but I think we have a better chance to keep Nina/AMac/Georgie together for longer if they're all paid.
Aishling can be topped up with the Extra Services payments ($100k per season now and growing over the next 5yrs) the club gets to give players for marketing stuff.

Liv Barber was delisted by the Pies. Wonder if we'll want her back. Could be an ideal back-up for Kate Darby...
no thanks, just proof that we lost nothing at all by letting her go.

We have moved past the level she can get to imo

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whats the voting criteria/format?
If it's the same as last year:

Voting system
At the completion of each AFLW match, the senior coach awarded a 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 rating for the five best players. The three AFLW line coaches are also required to award a 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 to the five best players for each match. These two ratings are combined to give each player an aggregate score out of 20 for that AFLW round.

Explanation on the other awards is available here

2023 Geelong Cats AFLW Best and Fairest Top 10​

1. Georgie Prespakis – 188 votes
2. Nina Morrison – 163 votes
3. Amy McDonald – 82 votes
4. Claudia Gunjaca – 69 votes
5. Becky Webster – 53 votes
6. Jackie Parry – 50 votes
7. Aishling Moloney – 34 votes
8. Chloe Scheer – 23 votes
9. Chantel Emonson – 21 votes
10. Meghan McDonald – 19 votes

Tight at the top, well done to Georgie P on winning her 1st B+F for Geelong after coming 2nd last year behind Amy McDonald.

Nina Morrison had a stellar year, I would have been very happy to see her win the B+F this year but a strong 2nd is a great result; what a resilient and classy player she has been.

2023 Geelong Cats AFLW Best and Fairest Top 10​

1. Georgie Prespakis – 188 votes
2. Nina Morrison – 163 votes
3. Amy McDonald – 82 votes
4. Claudia Gunjaca – 69 votes
5. Becky Webster – 53 votes
6. Jackie Parry – 50 votes
7. Aishling Moloney – 34 votes
8. Chloe Scheer – 23 votes
9. Chantel Emonson – 21 votes
10. Meghan McDonald – 19 votes

Tight at the top, well done to Georgie P on winning her 1st B+F for Geelong after coming 2nd last year behind Amy McDonald.

Nina Morrison had a stellar year, I would have been very happy to see her win the B+F this year but a strong 2nd is a great result; what a resilient and classy player she has been.

Frederico_WA I see you around; genuine question: are you surprised Mikayla Bowen isn't in that top 10 based on her 2023 season?

Frederico_WA I see you around; genuine question: are you surprised Mikayla Bowen isn't in that top 10 based on her 2023 season?
Is there a full breakdown of the votes per round?

She should have been in the top 1 or 2 for votes in the Round 3 loss to NM. Kicked 2 of our 3 goals, some really influential tackles and gut ran all day.

Surprised by Meg being 10th. The rest were spot on.

Is there a full breakdown of the votes per round?

She should have been in the top 1 or 2 for votes in the Round 3 loss to NM. Kicked 2 of our 3 goals, some really influential tackles and gut ran all day.

Surprised by Meg being 10th. The rest were spot on.

Not sure - I'm sure there is a full breakdown but I haven't looked.

I feel as though Bowen could have been ranked alongside, say, Chantel Emonson for impact on the 2023 season.

I hope Bowen is in no way disgruntled as she has been a huge addition to this side over the past two seasons; she was great this season.

As you touched upon; at her best she lays some huge tackles and gut runs to provide all kinds of outlets for the team. Still developing as a player too I reckon; she is good enough to get even better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back