Always knew there was something about Taylor when..?

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't follow SANFL but i remember hearing all the time how we should be playing this Walker kid who was cutting it up, then he played his first game for us, takes a mark on the boundary and slots it like a pro. That's when i realised what all the talk was about.

Ah thanks for pulling me up on the 3 games thing guys, lol guess I need to find out another thing about Taylor.

Probably vs Freo in 09 at Subiaco, when he was showing a huge presence in our Fwd Line, along with the baulking of two players and side step, that goal was insane and I realised the talent he possessed after seeing it.

I watch a lot of Norwood games and have been a fan ever since I saw him play there. I was telling my Dad about this young Crows listed forward who I thought was all class. I dont normally get carried away but it was the strut, class and obvious talent that was instantly noticeable. The game for me that proved he was a certain future AFL star was his game against Port Adelaide at Adelaide Oval. I was sitting on the wing with my Dad and my mate in front of a typical annoying, bogan Magpies supporter. Prior to the match Walker was starting to get intense media pressure about his performances. Everyone was expecting a display and the two big sides hadn't played finals for a while.

Enter TW...absolute domination, kicked 7 fantastic goals and with James Gallagher pretty much won the game. Big stage, big crowd, media pressure and he shredded it. Was great watching supporters from both sides pretty much in awe...

The best part was the Port supporter behind us was hacking him the whole day and labelled him selfish after slotting a ripper from the boundary. A fellow Port supporter turned around and was like "I dunno mate he is unbelievably good'.

That was the time I realised he was amazing

When he kicked 5 against the Hawks in a half back in 2009, it was brilliance.:thumbsu: Although, I had a fair inkling before then that this kid would be a star.

First time I really took notice of Walker was in a reserves game he played against Central at Elizabeth. He marked a ball about 60-65m out from goal and I remember thinking he's dreaming thinking he can kick that. He went back and kicked the goal with ease.

The next game I really took notice of him was when he kicked 9 goals against the Eagles.

He could be delisted this year if he doesn't start contributing..............

When he was kicking league goals as a 17 year old in the SANFL I was pretty excited.

Admittedly we were just coming off the Perrie-McGregor era so I would have been excited if we'd played a wheelie bin up forward too.

haha, as long as the wheelie bin was open carl:D

In the SANFL it was actually a shot on goal that hit the post, but it was the way he trapped the ball about 45m out with his back to goal and then worked back through traffic and was able to create space for himself to have a shot.

In the AFL it was when he sold a bit of candy against Freo at Subi.

that 9 goals against wwt in the sanfl, and also a mate of mine who is a very astute judge of football told me taylor reminded him of a young carey after the demolition of the port magpies in elim final.

if he can be half as good as the duck then weve got a special player on our hands:thumbsu:

I have always been a big fan but when NSW TAB gave me $101 odds for Walker to win the Coleman this year on the same day that he bags 7 in a preseason game, I knew I had something special.

$20 bucks on him and its guaranteed that I will be screaming even more for him to kick a bag every week til the finals!!!

Hey, it's a long shot but I like them odds!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

geelong game late last year. can't remember exacty when, but i think 3rd or 4th quarter. walker gets the nut, facing away from goal, turns inside and then steps defender and goals. i remember texting my power mate along the lines of "no talent this kid". sublime.

I have always been a big fan but when NSW TAB gave me $101 odds for Walker to win the Coleman this year on the same day that he bags 7 in a preseason game, I knew I had something special.

$20 bucks on him and its guaranteed that I will be screaming even more for him to kick a bag every week til the finals!!!

Very nice! Those odds are going to go down pretty fast I reckon. :thumbsu:

I dont think there was a moment because he was pretty hyped up for a while and you knew he had to have some talent after reading about him.

I was probably most impressed with a few little moments early on for the crows when he had the ball up the ground and was just easily selling dummies and getting around opposition midfielders while just having his eyes up in the forward 50. That is just raw talent and combine that with the fact that he can kick the freakish goals and find so much space on the lead, then you get someone with huge potential.

Hopefully he can live up to this potential and not go missing during large portions of games. It sounds mouth watering when you can have Tippett attracting two of the best defenders, leaving Walker to be 1 out.

Probably for me hearing all the hype on here before I even knew what he looked like was very exciting but didn't quite engender the belief he was goingto be as special as he can be.

Hearing about and seeing his highlights from his first year in the SANFL was great but not having seen any of it live you take with a pinch of salt.

See him live vs the best of the best and kicking goals 6 and 7or his career against Geelong was what did it for me.

You can see these goals here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0WyWgIpdi4 (thanks stabby ;) )

Goal 6 is slightly opportunistic but shows his long, damaging boot and ability to turn a game with his talent and enthusiasm (didn't turn the game then but was a badly needed goal to get the guys going). Love the fact he went back down the forward line confidence hi and starts point and shouting about where everyone should set up.

Goal 7 was fantastic. Competes in the ruck (got beat) ball comes back in - and his ability and cleverness to take Harry Taylor out of the contest in a way that no one could pay a free kick and make it effectively an uncontested mark was superb. It was that point I felt he was going to be a star for us. You can't teach that and given his frame you could tell he was going to develop into a nightmare match up one on one for any defender. Kick the ball to his advantage and it should be all over red-rover when he's one out.

It's his kicking that does it for me. Both sides of the body, off a step... There's so much D Jarman about his kicking ability.

Forget all the other stuff - kicking ability like that can't be taught. It's worth its weight in gold.

Great thread:thumbsu:

For me it was the South Adelaide vs Norwood Anzac Night game 3 years ago. I went there to watch Otten dominate another game which he did, but I remember Walker taking this mark, a cross between Hird class and Jordan hangtime. I knew

Great unit and looks like he's ready to explode this year.

When we were in talks over Jacobs I was praying that somehow we'd land this bloke (but knew we had no chance).

The main reason I'm here is about the speculation with him being linked to GWS. I wanted to say that I work with his cousin and I've quizzed her on this a fair bit and she stresses that he's very very happy in Adelaide and has no desire to leave. Of course by the end of the year the value of a dollar may prove it's power, but he does love it at the Crows. Just thought I'd share it anyhow.

Good luck with the start of the season lads and see you in Rd 5.

Great unit and looks like he's ready to explode this year.

When we were in talks over Jacobs I was praying that somehow we'd land this bloke (but knew we had no chance).

The main reason I'm here is about the speculation with him being linked to GWS. I wanted to say that I work with his cousin and I've quizzed her on this a fair bit and she stresses that he's very very happy in Adelaide and has no desire to leave. Of course by the end of the year the value of a dollar may prove it's power, but he does love it at the Crows. Just thought I'd share it anyhow.

Good luck with the start of the season lads and see you in Rd 5.

Thanks for that mate! And to be honest, Walker would be an absolute fool to sign now...considering the cap is likely to expand next year and beyond with the new TV rights, I don't think he'll leave for cash.

I like those odds! Clearly set by a Victorian footy expert! Actually come to think of it - those odds are silly :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Always knew there was something about Taylor when..?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back