Recommitted Andrew Gaff [re-signed]

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm staggered by the some of the posts of the North supporters.

First and foremost, Gaff has to nominate himself as a RFA. If he chooses to stay at WCE, they can negotiate a contract, and North's offer becomes irrelevant.

Secondly, if he nominates as a RFA and accepts North's offer, WCE can match the offer, but Gaff can then subsequently request a trade to North.

North supporters are naive to think that Gaff's manager hasn't canvassed all the scenarios with potential suitors. For example, Melbourne's financial offer to Gaff would easily be matched by WCE, and a subsequent trade would be impossible with our lack of high draft picks.

If Gaff leaves WCE, it will be on good terms because he holds no ill-will towards the club. It's conceivable that if North aren't prepared to trade for Gaff, he'll seek a trade with another Melbourne based club for less money.

Lol come on mate. He is going to sacrifice a few hundred grand a year just to get his former club a better trade deal? His priority is himself and his family as it should be. There would be no ill will towards him from the club for leaving as a free agent i wouldn't have thought

Lol come on mate. He is going to sacrifice a few hundred grand a year just to get his former club a better trade deal? His priority is himself and his family as it should be. There would be no ill will towards him from the club for leaving as a free agent i wouldn't have thought
So are you saying that WCE won't match North's offer under any circumstance?

Or we match, get no one interested at the price on his head, he goes to the draft and we get nothing.

North aren't going to walk away from a guy they've chased and think is worth over a mill a year, that has agreed and wants to come to their club. Especially since WC would more than likely accept well unders in a trade.

If the clubs are smart, which I think they are, they've almost certainly already discussed side deals that makes both teams happy. Getting the compo pick (for the FA) and using it in a trade/s that make both teams happy is a much smarter way to go about it.

North aren't going to walk away from a guy they've chased and think is worth over a mill a year, that has agreed and wants to come to their club. Especially since WC would more than likely accept well unders in a trade.

If the clubs are smart, which I think they are, they've almost certainly already discussed side deals that makes both teams happy. Getting the compo pick (for the FA) and using it in a trade/s that make both teams happy is a much smarter way to go about it.

Of course they could, there is no obligation to trade for a guy when you cant get him via FA and playing chicken with a 7 year million dollar contract isn't something i want to get involved with anyway.

If we would accept well unders in a trade then we should be angling for the compo and gentlemans agreement

100% agree with that last point which is why i dont think matching is a good idea. It lets North give us a bit extra that they can afford rather than just walking away and leaving us up shit creek

If we take all emotion out of the deal then the other factor to consider is that he will also want to be sure his future club is in the best position to improve onfield to help him get a premiership. You see it all the time in any free agency scenario, supporters that say things will be done with the player wanting for the best for the club they are leaving... it's unrealistic and is never a factor. In no industry does somebody leaving one job for another go above and beyond for their ex-employer, the best you hope for is to not burn any bridges and leave with a good relationship. End of the day the Eagles will be "compensated"... is it good compo? Lord no, for a potential grand finalist. It's the shitty luck of the draw that sees players compensation based on ladder position. Would the Eagles dream of matching in a bottom four season? Far less likely but the risks attached are still the same. I wouldn't be surprised if the Eagles match and perhaps they should but it won't be through any machinations facilitated by Gaff.

The only way you'll match to "force a trade" is if you already have the framework of the trade in place. You're not going to match just as a bluff to try and get a better return via trade than the compo pick.

It's pure fantasy.

I would be very disappointed if we did. I can't see any logic behind it.

Can your club still get a priority pick if an amazing circumstance occurred and they matched in the knowledge he was returning east and then walked to the draft?

I think they miss out on everything in that circumstance.

I'm staggered by the some of the posts of the North supporters.

First and foremost, Gaff has to nominate himself as a RFA. If he chooses to stay at WCE, they can negotiate a contract, and North's offer becomes irrelevant.

Secondly, if he nominates as a RFA and accepts North's offer, WCE can match the offer, but Gaff can then subsequently request a trade to North.

North supporters are naive to think that Gaff's manager hasn't canvassed all the scenarios with potential suitors. For example, Melbourne's financial offer to Gaff would easily be matched by WCE, and a subsequent trade would be impossible with our lack of high draft picks.

If Gaff leaves WCE, it will be on good terms because he holds no ill-will towards the club. It's conceivable that if North aren't prepared to trade for Gaff, he'll seek a trade with another Melbourne based club for less money.

Great post.

But Norths fans don't want to read stuff like that though,

Great post.

Reckon I’ve read that post about 40 times over the last month or so.

We all know the rules of free agency by now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This thread is becoming laughable.
It seems no one has any genuine clue which way this will go purely because gaff is going through some personal issues.
The fact hes yet to sign come prelim final week would presume he more likely to leave than stay. But who knows.

But if anyone goes through how free agency works again I'll just skip this thread from now on. It's pretty f*****g simple even for the lamens out there.

Having said that I'd give my left nut for him to come to roos as a free agent or force trade.

BigFooty is so entertaining, particularly trade-draft threads.

As it stands:

1. There have been no public announcements on Gaff's intentions. As far as I know he hasn't signed with North and taken up his option as a RFA. So he's free to sign the contract WCE have in front of him, there's no need for us to match North's offer or 'poach' Gaff.

2. I may be going out on a limb here, but I'm confident the WCE list management team are fully across the FA regs. Also, despite the team's ongoing involvement in finals, I'd expect them to be working on outcomes if Gaff indicates he wants to return to Vic and signs with North...including trade scenarios if we decide to match. If you think WCE matching a FA offer would be a knee-jerk reaction leaving us only a few days to find a suitable trade you're deluded. If we match then all of the stakeholders (Gaff, North, Connors, Connor's kids, Corpus Christi College circa 2015) will know ahead of time and it's because West Coast has set up the framework for a beneficial trade, be that with North or another party.

3. Given point 2, I can't see West Coast matching if Gaff signs with North. With all the machinations required to set up a trade, why not just announce it's happening before he signs?

Sidebotom has shown us how important these accumulators with good skills that can go inside/outside are to top teams.

West Coast will 100% force a trade.

If you think WCE matching a FA offer would be a knee-jerk reaction leaving us only a few days to find a suitable trade you're deluded.If we match then all of the stakeholders (Gaff, North, Connors, Connor's kids, Corpus Christi College circa 2015) will know ahead of time and it's because West Coast has set up the framework for a beneficial trade, be that with North or another party.

If WCE match then all of the stakeholders (Gaff, North, Connors, Connor's kids, Corpus Christi College circa 2015) will know that Gaff is remaining a West Coast player..

Incorrect, because there is a salary cap you have to pay what we have offered to poach him.

False. Gaff needs to enter FA and accept North's offer for that to occur. If we match a rival FA bid we are bound by it only if the player accepts our counter offer. If we match and Gaff opts not to accept our counter offer then we aren't bound by anything.

Gaff or any eligible FA can re-sign (or leave) without exercising FA rights. I.e. North say 'we'll give you $1.2m p.a. over 7 years' and Gaff re-signs for whatever our contract offer is without accepting North's offer.

False. Gaff needs to enter FA and accept North's offer for that to occur. If we match a rival FA bid we are bound by it only if the player accepts our counter offer. If we match and Gaff opts not to accept our counter offer then we aren't bound by anything.

This is correct. When October 31 arrives and his contract expires, Gaff is free to walk to the drafts. Highly unlikely, but possible.

Barely a 1% chance I'd say.

Will re-sign, sign as a FA or be traded as a non FA.

I can think of a handful of occasions when a player has walked to the draft, but I can't think of one where a club matched a contract of a player wanting to leave and then "forced" a trade.

Based upon the data, your 3rd option should be replaced with "walks for nothing".

Great post.

It's only "great" because it suits the "fine, then we'll match and get really good draft picks" that most delusional west coast posters keep on going with.

Thank christ for logical ones like Jugada

Remove this Banner Ad

Recommitted Andrew Gaff [re-signed]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back