Andrew McGrath Rising Star Winner

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

2nd ALWAYS turns out better than first anyway.

93 - Buckley and was the best
94 - Chris Scott but mckernan was better
95 - nick holland (lol) McLeod, brad Johnson, oloughlin take your pick
96 - cousins hands down
97 - Michael Wilson, who???
98 - Byron Pickett who won or warren tredrea. I know who I'm taking.
99 - adam goodes but I'd prefer Simon black
00 - Paul haselby v anyone else. Lol.
01 - koschitzke, no offence great player but Kerr, McVeigh, Gia, Murphy (bob).
02 - lock in Riewoldt
03 - lock in mitchell
04 - Jared rivers omg, how about Mackie, ebert, cross, Cooney.
05 - Deledio easily beaten by Franklin, Roughead, Lewis anyone hawthorn drafted. This is a bit of a comparison to carlton this year v the pick 1 by Essendon
06 - Danyle Pearce or anybody else. Murphy, rischitelli, Birchall, swallow.
07 - Selwood probably deserved to be drafted higher apart from injury. Reminds me of Ryan Burton (turned down twice from Adelaide, his home town)
08 - Palmer NO. Not even close. Although his 2008 year was VERY Special. Unprecedented even (Clayton Oliver anyone. Lol)
09 - rich. Dangerfield hands down.
10 - Hannebery been ok but Fyfe, Martin, Scully, Hurley. AAs, Brownlow medallists. Pretty impressive year.
11 - Heppell. Shit year really. All pretty similar.
12 - Talia AA amd a great 10 year full back. Realistically he's better than rance coz he plays on an opponent and regularly beats them.
13 - Omeara??? Yet to tell. Potential to ruin a decade of hawthorn. Wines macrae tom mitchell. Plenty better. Hawthorn glad they got an alternative in the same year.
14 - Taylor not even close to number two Bont.
15 - Hogan not even close to number two Cripps.
16 - too early to tell but mills looks special. Needs to show it in the midfield I would of thought eventually.
17 - Burton was the favourite and had a better defensive year (same position), better statistically. Not sure what they vote on otherwise. Potential??? Media needed to boost burton more after coming back from possibly the worst junior injury in a long time to come back from.

Tredrea and Jakovich fought the good fight though. At least two blokes thought SPP was the best kid in the land. Zero thought the same of Burton.
And this is the problem. When tredrea picks the only kid he knows. The best way to make this award legit is to give the umpires or the coaches or the players themselves the vote.

Most wishy washy award there is anyway...needs a rule tweak... No age limit, no 2nd year brackets.

You are eligible the first year on an AFL list, period, that's it.

If you blow a knee and don't play year one, stiff. If you are mature age tear it apart as a 26 yr old rookie, you are able to win.

And take the voting off media, and vote match per match.

You want a prestigious award, give it the rules it deserves, til then it'll just create arguments

SPP never had a chance, he's a West Australian playing in SA.

Welcome to the VFL, where the Herald Sun and Fox Footy run the game.
14 of 24 winners from interstate clubs.

Are you kidding? Wilson was a star.
Mostly joking but Wilbur only averaged about 15 touches a game across half back. Did win a premiership when most players don't. Other players that year that were individually better footballers, woewodin, Joel Bowden, Bradshaw among others not nominated.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Like others, i find it perplexing that not one judge gave Burton 5 votes..............

when 17 reporters from AFL.com judged the award during the week... the results were:

Ryan Burton:
4, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 3, 4, 5, 5, 5, 5, 3, 5, 4, 4 (77 votes)

Andrew McGrath:
5, 4, 4, 3, 4, 4, 4, 5, 2, 3, 4, 3, 4, 5, 3, 5, 5 (67)

And CrownBet had Burton as a $1.40 hot favourite on Monday. Andrew McGrath, was at $3.25, Not exactly close!

Fair enough that some Hawks supporters are annoyed, and some non-hawks supporters are surprised.

Well done to McGrath.

I also thought the vote deserved to be close. Shame it wasn't.

In the last three weeks the "Essendon Mafia" in the media have been explicitly campaigning. Okay if they believe McGrath was the best, but their predictions were normally expressed as a no-contest outcome. It stunk of desperation and was annoying.

I'm surprised it was even considered such a two-horse race. Thought a few others deserved more of a mention than they got as contenders along the way.

Mostly joking but Wilbur only averaged about 15 touches a game across half back. Did win a premiership when most players don't. Other players that year that were individually better footballers, woewodin, Joel Bowden, Bradshaw among others not nominated.
Please. Wilson well and truly deserved his rising star.

Personally I thought SPP was the best but there was no way anyone else was going to win when the AFL had another #sobrave narrative to write.
Richmond out in straight sets will be the next narrative
#membershipsinthemicrowave

2nd ALWAYS turns out better than first anyway.
17 - Burton was the favourite and had a better defensive year (same position), better statistically. Not sure what they vote on otherwise. Potential??? Media needed to boost burton more after coming back from possibly the worst junior injury in a long time to come back from.

how do they play the same position?

how do they play the same position?
Yeah true. Burton plays on a tall and McGrath plays on a small. But both are defenders that play on a man. McGrath was noted to have been pretty good on Betts but Burton was thought of in the Adelaide game as the difference between winning and losing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back