S.C[BANKS]

All Australian
Apr 25, 2006
Australia, melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
76ers/Denver - Arsenal
I dont know the reason but howcome you all underrate Welsh?? I was browsing in the port game votes and there was only a couple of people recognising Welsh. In the last 4 weeks he has been hard, There were a few negatives but mostly his form in those weeks were positive. Dont forget Andrew has not reach his prime yet and hes still young.

Last 4 weeks

Richmond- 21 disposal 5 marks
Carlton- 25 disposal 6 marks
West Coast Eagles- 27 disposal 12 marks
Port adelaide- 21 disposal 8 marks

yeh massive fan of the kid.. i think he always tries.. just how many possies were effective? thats a main question its not how much the ball you get... the question is more what you have done and how much ball did you opposition player get... cause he does play backline

I thought his game was fantastic on Saturday night. Tough and hard, beat his opponent and got a lot of the ball. One really bad error in the middle of the ground that resulted in an Ebert mark and behind. Probably didn't help that Dempsey wasn't watching.

The mark he took between two Port blokes was brilliant. People seem to bag him because he gets cheap kicks, but once we've won possession that is job. To set up the switch. Everyone likes to pump up the tyres of NLM this year (and so they should), but watch how a lot of his run starts, running off Welsh. They work well together.

14th at the club for errors.

He didn't start the year well at all, but he's coming back to form and playing some good footy.

he has been quite solid.

Dont let stats mislead you though - he was actually horrible against Carlton, couldnt hit the side of a barn. Had numerous clangers. Probably his worst game for the year.

Agree with both Longy and Smokin

His game against Carlton was painful to watch.

I think Welsh is starting to develop a toughness about him now and it's getting stronger and stronger with each match.

He got bagged a lot for his start of the season and probably rightly so. But I didn't think it was that bad I thought he played a good match against Collingwood.

As for the topic, his last 3 weeks have been very good, and if he can keep that up throughout the season, it would help get a few more desperately needed wins on the board.

Love Welsh's style. Drafted from the western suburbs and plays hard like they do in kids comps over there. He is just like his other hard nut mates in MJ,Lloydy,JJ and the Keilor Boys of old,Harvs,Misiti,Mercs etc..

Needs to have a little bit more self control and needs to forget about trying to argue with umpires and get on with playing good hard footy.
Wish he was about 2 inches taller but!

His endeavour and his courage can not be questioned, but his disposal has always been questionable.
Had one shocking game this year but he is not alone, unfair to single him out.

Nobby8 said:
Love Welsh's style. Drafted from the western suburbs and plays hard like they do in kids comps over there. He is just like his other hard nut mates in MJ,Lloydy,JJ and the Keilor Boys of old,Harvs,Misiti,Mercs etc..

Needs to have a little bit more self control and needs to forget about trying to argue with umpires and get on with playing good hard footy.
Wish he was about 2 inches taller but!

where is hirdys metion? mayb not from western suburbs but most courages to pull on the essendon guersey for a while.. but i love players who just throw them selves in without thinking twice.. thats the footy i like :D

mcphee_is_a_gun said:
Trade bait?

I think I've said this elsewhere, but Welsh is the kind of player that holds more value to us than what he would to another club.

He's a really good leader to the young kids, takes them under his wing and helps them out in their first couple of years. I think I heard Angus say in an interview that he's living with him.

Those sort of variables other clubs aren't interested in come trade week, yet it's an important role within a footy club. Especially added to the fact that he is really only a kid himself and for the most part plays pretty good footy.

At most, we'd get a late second rounder for him and that might seem like a good deal. But when we are probably lacking a bit of leadership already, as well as the fact we are lacking that core 23-26 y/o group of experienced footballers, replacing Welsh with a kid, even a talented one, would leave a bigger hole than it might appear at first glance.

Others might disagree, but I'd be disapointed if he was traded. Has a year to run on his contract.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

mcphee_is_a_gun said:
Trade bait?
agree with longy.. dont trade players that underline the clubs values.. his work ethic is second to none.. and i will always have him in my 22... sad to see him go... it would be like when damien hardwick went to port... he meant soooooooooooo much to our backline and you could tell.. the lil tough nut stood up for what essendon was and is.... someone like a jacobs was not such a big loss talented defender that was more a player and not a part of the club.. if u follow

Andrew Welsh

• hard at it = tick
  • aggressive = tick
  • big heart = tick

• often shocking decision making = tick
  • gives away stupid frees = tick
  • poor footskills = tick

wow, doesn't that description look like it applies to the majority of the senior players that are really struggling this year? (sol, johnsons, pev)

welsh has been ordinary for about 2 years, and a few decent games here and there is not enough given the way he started to perform before going on the junket to japan.
I REALLY hope he gets his act together this year, and the port game was a start, but he's still got a very long way to go IMO.

Agree with just about everything you've said there SydneyBomber.

The defensive side of his game improved vs Port though, so credit there. Needs to keep improving on the areas that have been letting him down before we get too excited about his stats though.

SydneyBomber said:
[*]gives away stupid frees = tick

Averages 0.5 free's against per game. 5 FA's in 9 games this season.

SydneyBomber said:
[*]poor footskills = tick

Poor? I'd say adequate. Doesn't have great depth in his kicking and he does make mistakes. But I don't think he has poor foot skills, but he does make bad decisions at times as you said above.

He does have very good hands though, especially in a contested situation. Not Jobe Watson or James Hird standards, but better than average.

Things that i dont like in his game.
1) gives too many hospital handballs. Often he handballs to a player who is too close to him and under pressure from an opponent.
2) sometimes lacks vision up the ground .He will kick to a short option a lot of times often ignoring a better longer option.

Longy413 said:
Averages 0.5 free's against per game. 5 FA's in 9 games this season.
it's not the number, it's the stupidity I was referring to...
;)

He does have very good hands though, especially in a contested situation. Not Jobe Watson or James Hird standards, but better than average.
I agree with this bit, but then again I also agree ant's point that he gives too many hospital handpasses as well. He's done a few that have been positively bolton-esque.
Maybe that's just symptomatic of how under pressure our backline often is?
:eek:

Would've been great if welly stuck around for another year and had him under his wing for just one more year to pass on a bit more nous.

Remove this Banner Ad

Andrew Welsh form in the last 4 weeks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back