Training Apples' Training Threads 2018/19

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Training: 2019 -20 Day 1:1st - 4th Year Players
Who would choose another time to be alive? Not me! It was a treat to walk through Yarra Park this morning on the way to another year of training. It was still, warm and sunny. School boys posed for photos beside the Legend statues of Matthews, Barassi and Bradman. Dogs played, walkers walked and Collingwood training was back on.

The players were well into training when we arrived at 10am. Some players were not with the main group. Atu B. Mayne, Callum Brown & Lynden Dunn did running under supervision. Daicos was on the stationary bike on the sidelines.
A few senior players were in attendance:
Pendlebury, Mayne, Dunn

Full list of players:
Atu B.
Quaynor
Cox
Phillips
Sier
Mihocek
Mayne
Brown Callum & Tyler
Keane
Tohill
Kelly
Roughead
Madgen
Lynch
Wills
Noble
Dunn
Darcy
Stephenson
Wilson

Drills:
1. Players paired up with an appropriate partner. Grappled with each other and upon a whistle, tried to break free and run toward an incoming ball. Then they turned and upon another whistle, sprinted back to the starting point.
2. Ruck drills involved Lynch, Cox and Cameron
3. Circular drill: 'keepings off' by foot, where players had to deliver to a team mate some 30 metres away with opposition players trying to make spoils.
4. When drills finished at the AAMI side, players were whistled to a sprint back to the water station on the Glasshouse side. One groups headed north and the other south. The Northern sprint was won by Tohill and the Southern by Aty and Tyler Brown followed by Lynch.

A few players observations:
•Murphy clutched at his shoulder and left the track early according to Jen. He returned later and looked fine.
•Darcy Cameron looks enormous. Watched him in the drills and he appears to be quite a tidy kick. I wonder how good he is at goal accuracy?
•Tyler Brown is still a beanpole.
•Keane looks to have a man's body on him now. He uses the ball very well. In fact, I watched him for 5 or 10 minutes and he didn't fluff a kick over 30 metres.
•Sier trained well, remained involved and looks to be in very good condition.
•Stevo worked hard and will be a man on a mission this year. I'm expecting a very big year for him.
• Tom Phillips gets a bit of stick for his disposal some times, but today he was in the zone.

The sun took its toll after an hour and we retreated to the shade and then to the city by 11:15.

Happy to answer any questions.
•Posting a few iPhone snaps. The shirt is $50 and comes with matching shorts (also $50). Apparently they are flying off the shelves. I suspect The Gimp is stocking up for the Portsea Polo season. 100% acrylic, they will be just the thing for hot summer days :cool: :D
View attachment 780845Suspect the .View attachment 780843

Hey Apples, was Sier passive or on the move and active in the drills? Was he involved and social with the other guys?

P.S. love the shirt for its sheer campiness. I have a tropical themed Christmas party i've gotta go to and i'm wondering if i've found my costume... decisions!

WTF?
I have found the Parisians, in my 2 and a half weeks in Paris, to be helpful, friendly and have not had a problem. Particularly if you speak French. I took private French lessons 30 years ago for 2 years and in the 4 weeks I have been in France, I have only spoken English about 5 times.

Speaking French shows respect and the Parisians return that respect in spades . I have found them to be lovely. It was funny the other night , a waitress was waxing lyrical about her love for koala bears. Usually they talk about their fear of all the dangerous animals we have. And like to remind you of the moron who took a lump of coal into Parliament.

My advice is before coming to France, learn some French. It will make your trip 100 times better. How would a French person go speaking French at someone in Collins St? Not very well I imagine. Perhaps when they get home to France, they may say 'Shame about the inhabitants'.
Agree with you.
Before I visited France I constantly heard about how arrogant the French were and if you don't speak French (which I don't) they wouldn't give you the time of day etc etc.
Nothing could have been further from the truth, especially in the rural areas.
Considering they have to put up with approx one quintillion tourists a year I found them to be very helpful and friendly.

Hey Apples, was Sier passive or on the move and active in the drills? Was he involved and social with the other guys?

P.S. love the shirt for its sheer campiness. I have a tropical themed Christmas party i've gotta go to and i'm wondering if i've found my costume... decisions!
I have to agree. Have a weekend away this coming with a lot of people who are offended by Collingwood. Perfect Saturday night attire.

Thanks to all my fellow Pies supporters for all the suggestions. Have managed to do all those things suggested as I have been here for over 2 weeks. Only one I have missed is the street Apples suggested. Am staying in Rue Mouffetard and it is a lot like the street suggested but will check it out tommorrow. There are about 30 various eateries within 50 metres. Food heaven.
Reread this Parisian discussion today. Great read. Must get to France one day

Interesting question Quicky. I was talking to Jen and Ben Collins at training and watching Sier closely. I commented that Sier looked 'more engaged' than I'd seen on many occasions in the past. I've commented here a few times that Sier appeared to be a bit of a loner; a bit of an outsider within the group. Jen commented that Sier had travelled with Madgen and a few others over the break. That's a good sign.
This year is make or break for Sier; I'm hoping he has seen the writing on the wall.

Interesting question Quicky. I was talking to Jen and Ben Collins at training and watching Sier closely. I commented that Sier looked 'more engaged' than I'd seen on many occasions in the past. I've commented here a few times that Sier appeared to be a bit of a loner; a bit of an outsider within the group. Jen commented that Sier had travelled with Madgen and a few others over the break. That's a good sign.
This year is make or break for Sier; I'm hoping he has seen the writing on the wall.
Good mates with Max Lynch. Positive signs early on. Might have done some growing up over the break.

Training: 2019 -20 Day 1:1st - 4th Year Players
Who would choose another time to be alive? Not me! It was a treat to walk through Yarra Park this morning on the way to another year of training. It was still, warm and sunny. School boys posed for photos beside the Legend statues of Matthews, Barassi and Bradman. Dogs played, walkers walked and Collingwood training was back on.

The players were well into training when we arrived at 10am. Some players were not with the main group. Atu B. Mayne, Callum Brown & Lynden Dunn did running under supervision. Daicos was on the stationary bike on the sidelines.
A few senior players were in attendance:
Pendlebury, Mayne, Dunn

Full list of players:
Atu B.
Quaynor
Cox
Phillips
Sier
Mihocek
Mayne
Brown Callum & Tyler
Keane
Tohill
Kelly
Roughead
Madgen
Lynch
Wills
Noble
Dunn
Darcy
Stephenson
Wilson

Drills:
1. Players paired up with an appropriate partner. Grappled with each other and upon a whistle, tried to break free and run toward an incoming ball. Then they turned and upon another whistle, sprinted back to the starting point.
2. Ruck drills involved Lynch, Cox and Cameron
3. Circular drill: 'keepings off' by foot, where players had to deliver to a team mate some 30 metres away with opposition players trying to make spoils.
4. When drills finished at the AAMI side, players were whistled to a sprint back to the water station on the Glasshouse side. One groups headed north and the other south. The Northern sprint was won by Tohill and the Southern by Aty and Tyler Brown followed by Lynch.

A few players observations:
•Murphy clutched at his shoulder and left the track early according to Jen. He returned later and looked fine.
•Darcy Cameron looks enormous. Watched him in the drills and he appears to be quite a tidy kick. I wonder how good he is at goal accuracy?
•Tyler Brown is still a beanpole.
•Keane looks to have a man's body on him now. He uses the ball very well. In fact, I watched him for 5 or 10 minutes and he didn't fluff a kick over 30 metres.
•Sier trained well, remained involved and looks to be in very good condition.
•Stevo worked hard and will be a man on a mission this year. I'm expecting a very big year for him.
• Tom Phillips gets a bit of stick for his disposal some times, but today he was in the zone.

The sun took its toll after an hour and we retreated to the shade and then to the city by 11:15.

Happy to answer any questions.
•Posting a few iPhone snaps. The shirt is $50 and comes with matching shorts (also $50). Apparently they are flying off the shelves. I suspect The Gimp is stocking up for the Portsea Polo season. 100% acrylic, they will be just the thing for hot summer days :cool: :D
View attachment 780845Suspect the .View attachment 780843

Broomhead apparently on limited duties -- did you notice him? How could he be injured again already!?

I didn't see Broomy. He's not a 1-4 year player, but I was hoping he'd be there and raring to go. Where was it reported that he is injured?
He's not injured, but the Hun reported last night he recently had the pin removed from his leg. That probably explains why he was limited to the bike.

As I said in the report, I left at about 11:15, so it seems a few players appeared late. From what I saw today, it was a pretty intense first day on the track.
We discussed the coming week and we think the 1-4 yr time trial will be held Wednesday or Friday.
Next week the whole team will come together. I presume Monday will be a logistics day when players learn of the travel details and so on.
That means Wednesday will be the first training day. They wouldn't be so mean as to hold the time trial on Day 1 would they?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As I said in the report, I left at about 11:15, so it seems a few players appeared late. From what I saw today, it was a pretty intense first day on the track.
We discussed the coming week and we think the 1-4 yr time trial will be held Wednesday or Friday.
Next week the whole team will come together. I presume Monday will be a logistics day when players learn of the travel details and so on.
That means Wednesday will be the first training day. They wouldn't be so mean as to hold the time trial on Day 1 would they?
JDG said on radio this morning that the senior players are back on 3 December.

My diary says Monday December 2nd. That means the Monday will be the logistics day with Tuesday 3rd he official start?

BTW I am wondering if there's been a little shift within the Club on communicating training times. This week training info was being trumpeted everywhere. In the recent survey of members, I mentioned that we are unable to attend more than 2-3 games per year and attended training as a way to stay involved. I suggested it's a waste of time arriving at an empty Olympic Park after trying to guess training times. I hope the Club realises that many supporters like to engage via training and that a little communication would be nice.

BTW, this is not to play down the very helpful advice from Jen, The Boz and others who seem to have insider information!

Last edited:
Good to hear about Bear and Keane for mine. Looking forward to what they can bring this year. Shame about Murph, hopefully all good and can get a clear run at it this pre season. Would hate to see him go down the constantly injured path.
I think Keane will play this year. He seems more advanced than Tohill. He's got the temperament, his skills are developing really nicely, his ball use in particular, so it's just a matter of footy IQ I guess.

Taylor Adams once lamented that women don't go for great arses. It's kind of the same thing as the skinny kid with freckles yeah?

Are you sure you heard Taylor correctly? Maybe he actually said that women don't go for great glasses? Or more cynically, women don't go for men who can't get them guest passes?

I just can't believe that my exquisitely sculpted bubble of an arse hasn't been a major point of attraction over the years. Improbable. What would Taylor know, he's just a renowned AFL footballer who looks like he stepped off the set of a US soap opera...

Just keen to understand if Sier’s lip tattoo is impacting him, we may not fully know until round 1, but any indication in the meantime will be appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back