Are bulldogs in for a lot of short term pain?

Remove this Banner Ad

The reasons i say this is that i believe Melbourne's problems are easy to fix. They will have great draft picks this year and get rid of their deadwood.

However, the biggest difference between dogs and Melbourne is fanfare. Melbourne have great potential for membership and crowd growth but i can't see it with dogs.

hopefully i am proved wrong.

Stop trolling mate. Seriously.

There's just no way we can know what shape we're in.

The Dogs have a massive number of potential KP Forwards developing. And I don't just mean Jones, Cordy and Roughead. There are about 4 others on the list. But every club has potential stars in their line-up who may go nowhere.

The truth is we won't know how stuck we are for KPFs for at least 2 years. This is what it looks like when you grow your own. I'm content to wait and see before I make any big predictions.

What concerns me (and has concerned me for years) is while we draft forward after forward, our recruiters have ignored our KP Defenders. And in case you haven't noticed, all our quality defenders are around 30.

We might be able to send a KPF or two down there. But I'm as worried about the Defence in 2014 as i am the Forwardline.

Either way, we obviously won't be contenders this year or next. But I think we've got a good coach, and hopefully we've got the cattle too. Will let you know if that's the case in 2 years' time!

Old man Libba was a bit of a plodder too.

So was Greg Williams.

Both were OK players still.

No doubt. But for every great slow player there's 20 who are good state league players and nothing more. While I'm being down on the Bulldogs, Ryan Griffen has chronic tunnel vision. So often he gets it and his first and only thought it to run straight and kick long. He would be a great player if he could widen his vision. I'll bow out with one positive - easton wood was having a breakout game before he did his hammy. I think he's going to be very good.

You think another round of draft picks is the easy fix? So that losing culture that they're stuck in will just go away with a couple of 18 yr old players?

Melbourne's problem is not their kids. It is their senior players. Neeld is on the path to sorting this out if you see their changes this week.

Anyway as bulldogs fans, do you agree with my points in op. I am not a haters as dogs my third favourite team. Sydney 2nd as i live in Sydney

Liam Jones looks like a gun.

For a 21 year old who's only played 33 games he's showing as much as Hawkins or Cloke were at that stage if not more.

He can already take a good contested mark.

Melbourne's problem is not their kids. It is their senior players. Neeld is on the path to sorting this out if you see their changes this week.

So how is raw kids going to fix their lack of older and mid age players? Baptism of fire has caused their kids to go backwards fast. You've got wonder now if the likes of Watts will ever meet his potential.

No doubt. But for every great slow player there's 20 who are good state league players and nothing more. While I'm being down on the Bulldogs, Ryan Griffen has chronic tunnel vision. So often he gets it and his first and only thought it to run straight and kick long. He would be a great player if he could widen his vision. I'll bow out with one positive - easton wood was having a breakout game before he did his hammy. I think he's going to be very good.

Griffen would walk into your team pal. You get to pick from the biggest state in Australia, and seem to grow talls on trees over in the west. So be greatful with what you have over there mate, and keep using that super juice that the players used so successfully in the 2000's, and stop having a go at our young guns. :thumbsdown:

Griffen is one of the best in our whole side in terms of vision. I've seen him catch someone out of the corner of his eye and adjust his kick mid-kick countless times.

Right now you aren't having a good strike rate. Got any more words of wisdom?

Stop trolling mate. Seriously.

Please tell me where i have trolled. If you disagree with my points, let me know.

Seriously, no offence, but why would i troll the bulldogs. I live in Sydney and support pies. I just enjoy footy.

Anyway as bulldogs fans, do you agree with my points in op. I am not a haters as dogs my third favourite team. Sydney 2nd as i live in Sydney

There's a reason why GWS picked up the likes of McDonald, Cornes and Power. It's to set an example for the younger players and shield them to an extent.

Melbourne's leadership from it's senior players is non-existent, due to the fact that they've never had a strong culture of demanding success. They've never had examples themselves. The Demons are in a death spiral. Kids leading kids, who don't know what it takes to make it.

At least the Bulldogs have the likes of Boyd, Cross, Lake etc to show the way on the track and on game day.

A list of 18-20 year olds won't magically turn into gun 25 year olds.

Griffen would walk into your team pal. You get to pick from the biggest state in Australia, and seem to grow talls on trees over in the west. So be greatful with what you have over there mate, and keep using that super juice that the players used so successfully in the 2000's, and stop having a go at our young guns. :thumbsdown:

I think Griffen is an exceptional player, and obviously he'd walk into our team and be one of its very best players. I would just love him to widen his vision, then he'd be on the level of pendlebury as a top 5 in the league type.

There's a reason why GWS picked up the likes of McDonald, Cornes and Power. It's to set an example for the younger players and shield them to an extent.

Melbourne's leadership from it's senior players is non-existent, due to the fact that they've never had a strong culture of demanding success. They've never had examples themselves. The Demons are in a death spiral. Kids leading kids, who don't know what it takes to make it.

At least the Bulldogs have the likes of Boyd, Cross, Lake etc to show the way on the track and on game day.

A list of 18-20 year olds won't magically turn into gun 25 year olds.

Pretty much my thoughts and you've summed them up far more eloquently. :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Please tell me where i have trolled. If you disagree with my points, let me know.

Seriously, no offence, but why would i troll the bulldogs. I live in Sydney and support pies. I just enjoy footy.

You must be a flog if u have 3 favourite teams or just young:eek:

So how is raw kids going to fix their lack of older and mid age players? Baptism of fire has caused their kids to go backwards fast. You've got wonder now if the likes of Watts will ever meet his potential.

I have had my say on Melbourne but i think they need to go the same way as the way as the expansion clubs. They won't get the guns but they need to pick up hard working players from other clubs or vfl who may not be super skilled. They have enough skills with their young players.

I dont really give a toss what supporters of other clubs think of the Bulldogs.

I am quite comfortable where the club is at this stage in the development of the next phase. McCartney is getting plenty of time into the the young players and there are a few in the seconds that will do well when their time comes too.

We will continue to test teams but the current crop wont realistically be a threat for at least two years.

It appears to nearly all and sundry that dogs biggest weakness is their key position forwards. Add to this, they have a lot of inconsistent senior players like higggins, gia, cooney, cross and lake amongst others.

The reason i say they may be in trouble for a while is key position players take a long time to develop. Free agency may help them in this respect. However, it seems they have a lot of players like lake and cooney on good money so how is their cap position.

As much as it hurts me to say they should chase cloke massively.

Their biggest problem will be that they a mid table team for a while and not get the great draft picks. Then we have the rise of gws and gc From the outside, they need results or optimism to get members and cashflow.

Please correct me if i am wrong dogs supporters as i believe most afl supporters have a soft spot for them. However, if things don't improve, i will nearly go as far to say they could be in more trouble long term than Melbourne.

Mate are you fair dinkum with comparing us to Melbourne? We have an unsettled backine, young side overall, and a struggling forward line, yet we have matched it for 3 and a half quarters with last years grand finalists and are 4-5. Melbourne wouldn't beat a VFL side atm. Seriously mate, I think you should just stick to your own side instead of starting threads, ill informed about other sides.

You must be a flog if u have 3 favourite teams or just young:eek:

mate, easy to throw insults from a keyboard.

My team is collingwood. i follow Sydney's results because i live there and i have a soft spot for dogs because i think they are a battlers with decent fans. It is almost like i feel sorry for them.

Maybe i should not give a crap about them.

As for my age, i am in my 30's

I have had my say on Melbourne but i think they need to go the same way as the way as the expansion clubs. They won't get the guns but they need to pick up hard working players from other clubs or vfl who may not be super skilled. They have enough skills with their young players.

You mean players like McDonald that they got rid off? Melbourne is not an expansion team where they can run a larger list of players and rotate the kids in and out.

Also you mentioned draft picks are the solution below.

Tbone McGraw said:
They will have great draft picks this year and get rid of their deadwood.

So you're saying that they should be trading away first round picks for hard working players from other clubs and use the rest on VFL players?

These threads always get derailed by the supporters of the team in question. Sure objective posters might not know what colour undies Boyd wears on gameday, but if they're white a Bulldogs supporter will swear they're rose-coloured.

These threads always get derailed by the supporters of the team in question. Sure objective posters might not know what colour undies Boyd wears on gameday, but if they're white a Bulldogs supporter will swear they're rose-coloured.

Opening post declared Melbourne to be in a better shape. How is debating that not on topic?

The reality is Liberatore is a plodder and Wallis hasn't shown anywhere near as much as bulldogs give him credit for.

OH flipping LOL! :D

You've put veteran Bay 13 flogs to shame with this bit of gold.

It's becoming increasingly difficult to have a geniune laugh on the boards these days with the demise of TLC and Bay 13, you have brought it back tonight....

Congratulations and keep up the good work:thumbsu:

have lost to both last years grand finalists by 3 goals and we havn't really been playing that good.

if our only issue for the future is kicking goals then im happy, it was the same problem we had when we made 3 preliminary finals in a row.

Remove this Banner Ad

Are bulldogs in for a lot of short term pain?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back