Are injuries the only thing that can stop the saints

Remove this Banner Ad

this isnt stkildas last year were they can win the flag, however you have a very good run with injuries that you may never get again.

to say your era is just bebinning, you have the 4th oldest list in the comp.riewoldt ball ,kosi and co are in their prime, but that will change in another 2 years.

saints have another 2 years after this.
every team that wins a flag must have a good run with injuries....common sense....another 2 years? I'll take that.

Thank you Copernicus for puting words into my mouth. I am glad you are amused. I can understand how you believe Geelong to be the superior team. Having been so good for so long, one becomes accustomed to winning. It reinforces the belief of superiority. A loss just appears to be an anomaly. Surely it will correct itself like a previous anomalous result. Usage of the Port Adelaide analogy is liberally encouraged.

Don't pin your entire season's success or failure on Ottens. It is unlikely he will regain full fitness this year. If he returns, it is likely he will fill a role up forward predominately. He may regain enough fitness to pinch hit in the ruck, and I hope he can because defeating Geelong with Ottens up and running will finally shut the disingenuous Geelong supporters up.

We look forward to meeting Geelong again. But this time the Saints will be stronger, tougher and more intense. While we predicted beating you last week, we did so with some trepidation because psychology can play a huge role. Next time we meet - we will have the psychological "upper hand". We will also have improved our playing personnel as some of our better players become available for selection.

Watching Geelong's response to a tough match also will inspire the Saints. Six players too sore to play the next week, not including the guy who was carried off on a stretcher. This is not the way to appear invincible. I hope Brisbane are suitably offended :eek:

Over the last 5 years the Saints have won 57% of their games at the MCG, whereas the Pies have won 49%.

Funny about that...

the pies were no good in 04 and 05 , by no good i mean in a development stage.

in the last 5 years the saints have played in 6 finals at the mcg and only won 2 of them which were against sides that finished 6th and 7th.

last year stkilda were shown up big time by geelong at hawthorn at the mcg in the finals.The way geelong and hawthorn were able to find space, expose stkildas zone defense and stop the run out of their backilne on the slower bigger ground made stkilda look second rate.

We were just making up the numbers last year, we've improved immensely since u guys and the hawks thrashed us in the finals.

Thank you Copernicus for puting words into my mouth. I am glad you are amused. I can understand how you believe Geelong to be the superior team. Having been so good for so long, one becomes accustomed to winning. It reinforces the belief of superiority. A loss just appears to be an anomaly. Surely it will correct itself like a previous anomalous result. Usage of the Port Adelaide analogy is liberally encouraged.

Don't pin your entire season's success or failure on Ottens. It is unlikely he will regain full fitness this year. If he returns, it is likely he will fill a role up forward predominately. He may regain enough fitness to pinch hit in the ruck, and I hope he can because defeating Geelong with Ottens up and running will finally shut the disingenuous Geelong supporters up.

ottens may or may not come back, iff he gets 4 games into him before september he will be able to keep up with both king and gardiner who are not mobile ruckman in anyones book

We look forward to meeting Geelong again. But this time the Saints will be stronger, tougher and more intense. While we predicted beating you last week, we did so with some trepidation because psychology can play a huge role. Next time we meet - we will have the psychological "upper hand". We will also have improved our playing personnel as some of our better players become available for selection.

who do st kilda have to come back ? give me a name that will have an impact ? king good in the ruck bet does nothing around the ground, husdton , whats he going to do i cant see how he will be any use as you only need so many talls down back.The rest are just vfl players .As for the psychological edge , since 2002 the side that won the grand final lost the previous game against the side they beat in september.

Watching Geelong's response to a tough match also will inspire the Saints. Six players too sore to play the next week, not including the guy who was carried off on a stretcher. This is not the way to appear invincible. I hope Brisbane are suitably offended :eek:

that just shows were the two clubs are at, geelong have dominated the comp for 3 years and won a premiership, geelong are bored at the moment and just doing enough to make september .stkilda have hit their best already and enjoy winning and dont want to lose a singal game.

believe me , I have felt the feeling of my side winning and losing a premiership from a good position, i know you saints are enjoying the ride right know but at the end of the day all that matters is how you perform in those 4 weeks. the joy you get from seeing your club win a premiership is 10 million times better than any other joy you get out of footy.

... geelong are bored at the moment and just doing enough to make september .stkilda have hit their best already and enjoy winning and dont want to lose a singal game.

You just hang on to that belief as tightly as you can.

the pies were no good in 04 and 05 , by no good i mean in a development stage.

in the last 5 years the saints have played in 6 finals at the mcg and only won 2 of them which were against sides that finished 6th and 7th.

last year stkilda were shown up big time by geelong at hawthorn at the mcg in the finals.The way geelong and hawthorn were able to find space, expose stkildas zone defense and stop the run out of their backilne on the slower bigger ground made stkilda look second rate.

That was then and this is now...alot has changed hasn't it.

How would the Hawks go right now against the Saints at the MCG???

Btw our injury list now is comparable to the Swans injury list in 05, the Eagles in 06, the Cats during 07, and the Hawks in 08.

I would think that the Saints would go pretty well in the wide open spaces of the MCG with our current list and game plan.

Our forward line on the wide open spaces of the G would be pretty hard to stop IMO, harder to bottle them up...

That was then and this is now...alot has changed hasn't it.

How would the Hawks go right now against the Saints at the MCG???

Btw our injury list now is comparable to the Swans injury list in 05, the Eagles in 06, the Cats during 07, and the Hawks in 08.

I would think that the Saints would go pretty well in the wide open spaces of the MCG with our current list and game plan.

Our forward line on the wide open spaces of the G would be pretty hard to stop IMO, harder to bottle them up...

We will only ever find out in September!!!

that just shows were the two clubs are at, geelong have dominated the comp for 3 years and won a premiership, geelong are bored at the moment and just doing enough to make september .stkilda have hit their best already and enjoy winning and dont want to lose a singal game.

Geelong didn't look too bored to me last Sunday. In fact they looked pretty desperate to win it and very disappointed when they lost. Just look at Ablett's reaction when the siren went and the way Scarlett was bitching about that advantage decision in the last quarter.

I think you're doing your own players a disservice to say they are bored and only care about just doing enough to make September. I can guarantee they desperately wanted to beat St Kilda on Sunday and go top of the ladder. They wouldn't like being viewed as second best.

Not sure if that affects what will happen in September if we meet again. Whatever happens, you can bet that both teams will be pulling out all stops to win, just like they did last Sunday.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We will only ever find out in September!!!

This is very true...

However, despite the Eagles being nothing compared to the Cats, the Saints forward line will get a run on the wide open spaces of Subiaco.

A ground where just recently the Cats have struggled to put away the Dockers and the Eagles.

It may not be the G but it is a big ground that could highlight the apparent deficiencies the Saints have on a big ground.

If we are as hopeless as some suggest on a bigger ground we may struggle there.

Geelong didn't look too bored to me last Sunday. In fact they looked pretty desperate to win it and very disappointed when they lost. Just look at Ablett's reaction when the siren went and the way Scarlett was bitching about that advantage decision in the last quarter.

I think you're doing your own players a disservice to say they are bored and only care about just doing enough to make September. I can guarantee they desperately wanted to beat St Kilda on Sunday and go top of the ladder. They wouldn't like being viewed as second best.

Not sure if that affects what will happen in September if we meet again. Whatever happens, you can bet that both teams will be pulling out all stops to win, just like they did last Sunday.

It was their supporters that took it easy, not the players. Things will be very different when the supporters get fired up for the finals.:rolleyes:

you dont have the same game style as the hawks, you zone off in your defence alot more than they did, you also apply alot more frontal forward pressure where as they used to hold their ground.

hawthorn also had a much faster side than you do.

the saints lack of pace and the way they zone off could be a real problem on the mcg.I have also noticed that when the saints are at their best they are running the ball really well out of their defence , sides just never move the ball as quickly out of their defence at the mcg as they do at the dome .

Yeah, keep telling yourselves that. Cling onto that little bit of false hope all you want, if you think the stadium dictates how well a team plays you're just another one of those ignorant supporters that blame a loss on 'x player was out' and 'if we were at this ground we would have won'.

We all know Geelong are scared of the Saints, stop trying to hide it.

Yeah, keep telling yourselves that. Cling onto that little bit of false hope all you want, if you think the stadium dictates how well a team plays you're just another one of those ignorant supporters that blame a loss on 'x player was out' and 'if we were at this ground we would have won'.

You're kidding yourself if you think the players are scared of St Kilda. I'd say they relish the challenge, though. Things aren't said and done between us until the end of September (assuming all goes as it should).

GC26 is a bit full of it though. There's no way the players are bored. I'd have to think (and hope) that they are still burning from the way things panned out in 2008.

What's this about psychology? I think the players are strong enough to handle a six-point loss. Sorry if you think it's going to scar them. Just more added motivation if another meeting occurs.

As you say, the Saints will be stronger, tougher and more intense later on. You think if we meet in a big final that the exact same will not be true of Geelong? Don't kid yourself. We'll have better players available for selection also.

And if you really think omitting six blokes is as a result of the last game and not because of niggles that have been carried for a while, then I don't think you're being serious.

we were no wear near as pumped as stkilda were, geelong have been to the top of the mountain and won a premiership, stkilda have not done this and have had to sit back and watch geelong taste premiersip succuss.The hatred from stkilda towards geelong would be massive, plus being smashed in a big final.what did stkilda get for winning ? 4 points that dosent mean much, as both sides will finish top 2.

dont know how i am doing my players a diservice, we knew at the start of the year we were simply too good not to make the top 4, it was just a question of making sure that we play our best footy and peak in september.

i think most still see geelong as the best side in the comp but the gap has closed between the 2 sides, it would also not bother geelong if they were considered the 2nd best side as it just places more pressure on the saints.

lol as if both sides were as pumped last sunday as they will be come september.Just look at what the sides have to play for in september, if geelong win they will officialy be a great side and pushing for the title of the greatest side ever.if geelong lose they will be the biggest underachivers and chockers of all time. if the saints win they will finaly give their supporters the taste of premiership succuss, if they lose they will become the laughing stoke of the comp and may of blow a chance to win a flag that might not came again for a long time.

the consequences of winning or losing in the grandfinal will be a million times greater than the result of last sunday.

geelong are not making excuses for the loss you won its as simple as that, its just that we view sundays game diffrently to stkilda supporters.We see last sunday as a dress rehearsal for the big stage latter in the year, weve played in the last 2 GF so a blockbuster H%A game is no big deal to us.STKILDA seem to more view last sundays game as battle for superiorty between the two sides.

geelong are not making excuses for the loss you won its as simple as that, its just that we view sundays game diffrently to stkilda supporters.We see last sunday as a dress rehearsal for the big stage latter in the year, weve played in the last 2 GF so a blockbuster H%A game is no big deal to us.

Before the match there was a different view...
We are always primed for these matches v 'contenders' and we'll be ready on Sunday. Brian Cook said on SEN this morning that we've been subconsciously preparing for this game for a month :thumbsu:

STKILDA seem to more view last sundays game as battle for superiorty between the two sides.

Isn't that a major part of a rivalry???

It is fair to say that the Saints had more to gain by a win. Self-belief.

Much as we try to downplay it, Geelong intimidates other clubs. A lot of the match is won simply through Geelong's explosive bursts of play. They establish a winning lead and their opponents are demoralised. Heads drop. The Saints needed to know that they could withstand the explosive bursts of play and reestablish control over the match. They did that several times. Despite this the match was still in the balance with under two minutes to go.

It is nice that we could actually win it rather than passively allowing the game to end in a draw. This adds to the self belief.

I think what irks most Saints fans is that despite actually losing the match, Geelong supporters are claiming a victory by circumstances: i.e. they only just lost after giving away a 5 goal lead, the absence of Johnson, the absence of Ottens, umpiring decisions.

All of those things may be true, but in essence we Saints fans see this as a failure to acknowledge that WE ACTUALLY WON THE MATCH.

A quick check on the Cats board will show that fully a third of posters were expecting to beat the Saints by a margin of 50 points or thereabouts.

After the match the Geelong supporters new self delusion is:
... geelong are bored at the moment and just doing enough to make september .stkilda have hit their best already

The reality as I see it is that the Saints have closed the gap entirely. The Cats have now got to develop a new game plan because just banging it down the centre corridor isn't going to cut it any more.

That said, the Saints have allowed Geelong to see some of the cards that they hold and both teams have learned where some of their weaknesses can be exploited.

It is going to be an interesting time ahead.

Remove this Banner Ad

Are injuries the only thing that can stop the saints

Remove this Banner Ad

Back