Asian CUp 2015 Host to be announced in three weeks - July 30, 2010.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

McCrann

Premiership Player
Nov 1, 2007
Australia
AFL Club
St Kilda
http://www.the-afc.com/en/media-releases/26653-afc-asian-cup-2015-bid-submission-deadline-extended-

The FFA is set to do their final presentation to the AFC in exactle three weeks time - July 30, 2010 - about the hosting of the 2015 Asian Cup.

Does anyone here seriously think they will miss out on the hosting of this tournament?

It would certainly seem that assuming Australia wins the hosting rights it would be a bit rich of Australia to also seek Asian support for hosting rights for the 2022 World Cup!

Given this, I can't see Asian delegates on FIFA's exco putting their votes behind Australia for 2022. It looks a forlorn hope on the part of Ben Buckley and co. - likely only to be possible with a few sly payments and arrangements with other Federations - witness what the FFA has apparently done with the German Federation vis-a-vis the Women's World Cup.

http://www.theage.com.au/national/c...eft-women-on-the-sideline-20100708-102ah.html

http://www.the-afc.com/en/media-releases/26653-afc-asian-cup-2015-bid-submission-deadline-extended-

The FFA is set to do their final presentation to the AFC in exactle three weeks time - July 30, 2010 - about the hosting of the 2015 Asian Cup.

Does anyone here seriously think they will miss out on the hosting of this tournament?

It would certainly seem that assuming Australia wins the hosting rights it would be a bit rich of Australia to also seek Asian support for hosting rights for the 2022 World Cup!

Given this, I can't see Asian delegates on FIFA's exco putting their votes behind Australia for 2022. It looks a forlorn hope on the part of Ben Buckley and co. - likely only to be possible with a few sly payments and arrangements with other Federations - witness what the FFA has apparently done with the German Federation vis-a-vis the Women's World Cup.

http://www.theage.com.au/national/c...eft-women-on-the-sideline-20100708-102ah.html

I hope the FFA win this one. Crowds would be ridiculously poor for non-socceroos matches, and quite small for Socceroos matches versusing a few smaller nations.

Few q's:
How many games would each nation play?
What would be the ground arrangements?

does this also apply to Qatar, considering they will be hosting the event in January

I hope the FFA win this one. Crowds would be ridiculously poor for non-socceroos matches, and quite small for Socceroos matches versusing a few smaller nations.

Few q's:

if they keep the current format then there are 32 games all up

depends when its played.

Qatar's using 5 stadiums and only one of them has a capacity over 25000

Is any other country bidding?

no, unless something changed in the last couple of month

If nobody else is bidding i can't see what this has to do with the World Cup bid.

Its part of the process of building respect and credibility as a country that can host "major" soccer tournaments.

As this will take place in 2015, our best chance to show we're ready to host a World Cup will come in the wake of a succesful hosting of the confederations championships.

Has there been any other country that has hosted a World Cup that has not previously hosted the Confederation championships of their confederation?

At least at present - we may be bidding to become that country.

In comparison to the World Cup, the Asian nations cup is a tiny insignificant tournament that absolutely no one gives a damn about.

Now people will jump on here and say that a zillion people around the universe tune in to watch it, but where it really matters, in Europe and Sth America, absolutely no one would know it's on, or care.

In comparison to the World Cup, the Asian nations cup is a tiny insignificant tournament that absolutely no one gives a damn about.

Now people will jump on here and say that a zillion people around the universe tune in to watch it, but where it really matters, in Europe and Sth America, absolutely no one would know it's on, or care.
more significant on a global level than ur little vfl league that very few people outside of victoria care about.

also- with asia's population, the asian cup is very well supported within asia, especially the next 1 with big population nations like china and india both in the torunament.

crowds (depending on day of game) would be between 10-15k for most of the games imo. dont forget australia is a good tourist desitnation so people from , japan, korea, ect would probly travel in good numbers, + theres the football fans in australia who would go. its probly more of a tournament for football people, as opposed to event goers thou.

Few q's:

there is 4 groups of 4 (16 teams), each team in the group plays once, then the top 2 from each group form an 8 team straigh knockout (1/4 final, semi final, final) tournament to determine the winner.

depends on what the specific requirements for the asian cup are i suppose, but given the tournment is planned for janruary last i read,

1) it wont affect the afl, nrl
2) cricket ovals are out

also- in 07, they had teams playing all group games in 1 region (eg- australia's region was thailand)

also note- the last games in the group kick off at same time, like the wc, so you need 2 venues per group.

so i can see it going something like this

group a- (nsw)- and as hosts, will be australia's group
sydney- probly homebush (needed for final + socceroos games)
newcastle

group b- victoria
docklands stadium and **** bubble/whatever you call it should be ok, which shouldnt be an issue in janruary.

group c- queensland

brisbane- lang park- no issue if in janruary, cos only the mighty brfc play their at that time, and a-league will be put on hiatus for the month id assume.

fold coast/townsville- take ur pick, both have good claims, fold coast has the better stadium, but nth qld spreads the tournament out a little.

group d- adelaide/perth
adelaide- hidmarsh
perth- glory's stadium (sorry dunno its real name, and i dont use corporte names). may be shit, but its only hosting 1 game between probly 2 of the minnows of the tournament.

1/4 finals

Homebush
Docklands
Lang Park
Hindmarsh

semi finals
Homebush
Docklands

3rd/4th place
Lang Park

Final
Homebush

group a- (nsw)- and as hosts, will be australia's group
sydney- probly homebush (needed for final + socceroos games)
newcastle

just lol

SFS will be more then adequate

plus they should probably play the socceroos games in som other cities then just sydney.

group b- victoria
docklands stadium and **** bubble/whatever you call it should be ok, which shouldnt be an issue in janruary.
another lol, more creativity from the northerners you managed to put two words together, good for you

anyway it called the Melbourne Rectangular Stadium, although it has many alias

group d- adelaide/perth
adelaide- hidmarsh
perth- glory's stadium (sorry dunno its real name, and i dont use corporte names). may be shit, but its only hosting 1 game between probly 2 of the minnows of the tournament.
you mean perth oval which is completly inadequate unless it receives an upgrade

good enough for some of the smaller Asian Cup games I'd imagine. Some pretty ordinary teams in the Asian Cup - I certainly won't be paying to watch the likes of India play.

if they have the same stadia requirements as the AFC champions league thenit doesn't comply

page 25
c) The use of temporary stands is prohibited.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

just lol

plus they should probably play the socceroos games in som other cities then just sydney.

another lol, more creativity from the northerners you managed to put two words together, good for you

Crowds for Glory Grand Finals at Subi Oval :
The 2000 National Soccer League grand final was perhaps the best game of soccer ever to have occurred in Australia. When the Glory lost on Penalties after leading 3-0 at half time in front of a record Subiaco crowd since the redevelopment of 43,242, these are the most memorable of all events ever staged at this proud historic and momentous venue.

Poltical correctness gone mad, local soccer does draw a crowd in Perth ...

Crowds for Glory Grand Finals at Subi Oval :
The 2000 National Soccer League grand final was perhaps the best game of soccer ever to have occurred in Australia. When the Glory lost on Penalties after leading 3-0 at half time in front of a record Subiaco crowd since the redevelopment of 43,242, these are the most memorable of all events ever staged at this proud historic and momentous venue.

Poltical correctness gone mad, local soccer does draw a crowd in Perth ...

and what is the relevance of this.

i was just telling scotto the real name of perth glory's home ground, which is 'perth oval'

and because it currently has temporary seating it may not comply with the AFC's staduim regulations.

c) The use of temporary stands is prohibited.

That does throw a bit of a spanner in the works, I assume the same rule for the World Cup. it does mean some of the arguments about building stadiums of 25-30,000 seats with the use of temporary stands is out of the question for our bid. It does force an extra expenditure in permanent stadium construction. Sadly, a 40,000 seater permanent stadium is inevitably a 2 tier construction - which adds considerably to the cost.

That does throw a bit of a spanner in the works, I assume the same rule for the World Cup. it does mean some of the arguments about building stadiums of 25-30,000 seats with the use of temporary stands is out of the question for our bid. It does force an extra expenditure in permanent stadium construction. Sadly, a 40,000 seater permanent stadium is inevitably a 2 tier construction - which adds considerably to the cost.

i beleieve the proposals for the world cup stadiums are that the stands would be semi-permanent.

for example
what they did for the Sydney Olympic games would be acceptable

but seating like they have at 'Kardinia park' between the 'doug wade' and 'reg hickey' stands would be unacceptable

This tournament will be played mainly on the east coast I imagine. 7-8 stadiums should suffice, 50,000 maximum.

Melbourne (AAMI park/Etihad)
Sydney (SFS)
Brisbane (Suncorp)
Gold Coast (Robina)
Newcastle (EnergyAustralia)
Gosford (Bluetongue)
Adelaide (Hindmarsh/Adelaide oval)
Canberra (Bruce Stadium)

Places like Gosford, Newcastle, Canberra would be ideal for crap games, Gold Coast & Adelaide for good teams vs crap teams and quarter finals; Melbourne, Sydney & Brisbane for Australia matches and the semis, final and 3rd place match.

Perth and Townsville shouldnt be considered as they are too far away from the rest for this tournament, I cant see people travelling from Brisbane to Perth for Japan vs Qatar. World cup is a different story and those cities will be included then.

i'll agree they should, BUT based on 2007 asian cup all groups were played in 1 country/region.

sfs could be, BUT, an asian cup in australia gives afc the chance to have their premier event in state of the art stadiums and could potentially set a standart for future hosts, so i say homebush for the final. also, if its in janruary, what is on at homebush over the summer???

you got something relevent to add on the topic of where to play asian cup games in melbourne or is that it?

yeah that sounds right, its 1 game that will probly be played between thailand vs oman or some such, its fine as is for 1 game.

i'll agree they should, BUT based on 2007 asian cup all groups were played in 1 country/region.

sfs could be, BUT, an asian cup in australia gives afc the chance to have their premier event in state of the art stadiums and could potentially set a standart for future hosts, so i say homebush for the final. also, if its in janruary, what is on at homebush over the summer???

you got something relevent to add on the topic of where to play asian cup games in melbourne or is that it?

yeah that sounds right, its 1 game that will probly be played between thailand vs oman or some such, its fine as is for 1 game.

Well, as has been said before, the Cricket World Cup is on - no doubt they'd like to hold a few games at Homebush as well - not just at the SCG.

Well, as has been said before, the Cricket World Cup is on - no doubt they'd like to hold a few games at Homebush as well - not just at the SCG.
1) i doubt they will be on at the exact same dates\

2) i would of said the cricket world cup venues will be- Mcg, scg, gabba, waca, ao, bellrieve, manuka, marrara

it would be a tad unfair to play all of Australia's group games in Sydney tho

but i agree the final should be at homebush

i wasn't trying to be relevant, just correcting your ignorance. This isn't and FFT or SFCU, so leave the "computer nerd" talk at home.

it depends how strict the AFC are.

1) i doubt they will be on at the exact same dates\

2) i would of said the cricket world cup venues will be- Mcg, scg, gabba, waca, ao, bellrieve, manuka, marrara

ANZ Stadium are desperately trying to get international cricket matches there (ANZ are even willing to relingquish naming rights to the stadium to appease cricket ODI sponsor the Commonwealth Bank). Having said that, I think the cricket world cup would be in February/March, well after any Asian Cup.

If they want Asian Cup games in Perth and ME Bank Stadium isn't suitable, would Subiaco be a suitable alternative?

Few q's:

I remember when Adelaide hosted the Oceania equivalent in 2005 - Hindmarsh hosted some matches but a few (including a Socceroos match) were sent out to suburban grounds!

Asian Cup is clearly different, but you're right about the potential of some crowds being tiny between the smaller Asian nations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back