Analysis Assistant Changes for 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

There is a pattern emerging.

Jack Cahill 2 years, then his senior assistant replaces him. Not offered a new contract

Choco in his 11th season is basically sacked. Walks with 7 games to go. A senior assistant replaces him

Primus into his 2nd year and told he wont be getting a new contract, walks with 5 games to go.

Hinkley 2023 is his 11th season. Wont see the season out IMO.

Carr, Hinkley's assistant replaces him and is a 2 year transistion coach???

There is a pattern emerging.

Jack Cahill 2 years, then his senior assistant replaces him. Not offered a new contract

Choco in his 11th season is basically sacked. Walks with 7 games to go. A senior assistant replaces him

Primus into his 2nd year and told he wont be getting a new contract, walks with 5 games to go.

Hinkley 2023 is his 11th season. Wont see the season out IMO.

Carr, Hinkley's assistant replaces him and is a 2 year transistion coach???
Not really.

The decision on / against Primus, KT admitted subsequently, was because he lost to GWS.

If Primus had won that game, even by a point, he would’ve been extended per CEO’s recommendation.

It all hung by a thread.

There is no pattern, only happenstance and chaos.

Fit eleven years of Hinkley into any pattern - I dare you.

Not really.

The decision on / against Primus, KT admitted subsequently, was because he lost to GWS.

If Primus had won that game, even by a point, he would’ve been extended per CEO’s recommendation.

It all hung by a thread.

There is no pattern, only happenstance and chaos.

Fit eleven years of Hinkley into any pattern - I dare you.
The players had given up, partly because we werent fit enough.

The Hawks might have smashed us by 150+pts again and Primus would have been sacked.

Under Hocking we actually played well for 3/4, only down by a couple of goals then lost by 12 goals.

The players had given up, partly because we werent fit enough.

The Hawks might have smashed us by 150+pts again and Primus would have been sacked.

Under Hocking we actually played well for 3/4, only down by a couple of goals then lost by 12 goals.
Can’t read the relevance of this.

Primus was sacked toot sweet because he lost to GWS.

Duncanson was fired and the 2012 board wiped out because Primus lost to GWS.

You speak of a pattern emerging. I cry bullshit. The only pattern we have is the Prison Bars and we can’t even maintain that.

However it's sold, whatever is said, it's no succession plan.

Carr left Port to build his resume to, one day, become a senior coach. He took North to a flag, his fingerprints are all over the Freo midfield and there is absolutely zero reason he leaves Perth, and Fremantle for a sideways move.

Lock it in- he will be the next Port senior coach.

In other news, Lokan gone. Bassett will coach the Maggies- despite heavy, heavy chasing from the mob at West Lakes.

I don't know much about Carry's coaching chops. He was an assistant at Port for a while, took over his own team at North and won a flag, from what I hear is highly rated by people at Freo.

He's tough, smart and a winner.

I would think we've been quietly sounding out candidates behind the scenes. If Josh has come across as the best of them, well that's their judgement call. he would be well-received by the Port faithful.

I don't think he will be the only new addition to the group. If he's senior assistant he will be filling the empty Voss post.

I've said before I wouldn't be surprised to see Monty leave, Cornes go back to development and running, and Lokan to move on.
Carr his highly rated at Freo:
  • Excellent tactician
  • Attack-oriented
  • High standards and expectations
  • Demands excellence
So, in summary, a professional coach, in the PAFC tradition- the kind we always had until the monorail salesman we have at the moment.

Carr left Port to build his resume to, one day, become a senior coach. He took North to a flag, his fingerprints are all over the Freo midfield and there is absolutely zero reason he leaves Perth, and Fremantle for a sideways move.

In other news, Lokan gone. Bassett will coach the Maggies- despite heavy, heavy chasing from the mob at West Lakes.
The Bassett Hound coaches the Port Magpies in preference to going to West Lakes ?

What a luverly eventuation.

Bassett really can't stomach the crows can he? Or maybe a particular director 😉

The Bassett Hound coaches the Port Magpies in preference to going to West Lakes ?

What a luverly eventuation.
Yes and I think he will do a good job. Only my opinion, but I rate Bassett far more highly as an SANFL coach, with some scope to run his own ship, rather than being retro-fitted into a forwards coaching role at AFL level.

He hates West Lakes.

I was really hoping we'd be getting Jaymie Graham. Any chance Damien Barrett got his wires mixed up and is talking about the wrong Freo assistant? I've never been overly impressed listening to Carr speak and, while I'd take him over donuts, I'm not sure how successful a move it would be long term

The end is coming, so I'm a little more interested than I have been since 2017.
jizz in my pants GIF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes and I think he will do a good job. Only my opinion, but I rate Bassett far more highly as an SANFL coach, with some scope to run his own ship, rather than being retro-fitted into a forwards coaching role at AFL level.

He hates West Lakes.

And Bassett will coach to win at sanfl level, like Godden at the crows. Should be a good move.

I remember Carr being part of the radio coverage for Port games while he was coaching the Roosters, he was generally pretty underwhelming with his comments. Hopefully he's sharpened up a bit since then.

So…

Ken - Head Coach
Carr - Snr Assistant
?? - Forward
Montgomery - Midfield
Cornes - Defence
Basset - Reserves
Goldsack - Development
Kelly - Development

Then we will need at least one more assistant to cover Basset, possibly two if Montgomery leaves.

Does Burgoyne play a role?
Does Chadbro stay in defence?

So…

Ken - Head Coach
Carr - Snr Assistant
?? - Forward
Montgomery - Midfield
Cornes - Defence
Basset - Reserves
Goldsack - Development
Kelly - Development

Then we will need at least one more assistant to cover Basset, possibly two if Montgomery leaves.

Would like to eventually phase out Cornes and maybe Montgomery and replace them too

It’s no succession plan but this reads like a succession plan?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

So…

Ken - Head Coach
Carr - Snr Assistant
?? - Forward
Montgomery - Midfield
Cornes - Defence
Basset - Reserves
Goldsack - Development
Kelly - Development

I’d be amazed if basset was happy being given the reserves team.
If this rumour turns out to be true thenI suspect he has taken it in order to see out his contract and ensure he gets paid.
In doing so he’s probably earning double what all other sanfl coaches earn.

I’d be amazed if basset was happy being given the reserves team.
If this rumour turns out to be true thenI suspect he has taken it in order to see out his contract and ensure he gets paid.
In doing so he’s probably earning double what all other sanfl coaches earn.

I think Bass is pretty realistic. I have a friend who knows him pretty well, he’s settled here, his wife from what I was told isn’t wanting to go interstate again and he hates the Crows.

I think due to his high school education stuff he’s a very good teacher and he’s be happy to do it, he’s also still going to be in contact with the players.

He may well stay after Ken goes and come back in, I rate him, not many do around here but he’s a smart guy,
He’s also just playing second fiddle to Ken.

This will be quite a big distribution for Ken, he had Bass by his side all the time so it’s all looking like they are getting ready for big changes.

Bass will lift the SANFL side out of the gutter, that’s why he’s also been out there, from what I heard from someone close to the club Ken doesn’t give two rats about the SANFL.

So…

Ken - Head Coach
Carr - Snr Assistant
?? - Forward
Montgomery - Midfield
Cornes - Defence
Basset - Reserves
Goldsack - Development
Kelly - Development

Are there any legs to the Rutten rumour or is that just Rowey and 5AA making up shit?

I'm fine with Bassett getting demoted to Maggies coach.

IMO opinion, we should be looking at that role as on par with the line coaches. It's important enough as a development role, but throw in the expectation to win at SANFL level, it's even more complex and tricky.

I think Bassett would be ideal in that spot. Part of me thinks he'd also relish the opportunity.

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis Assistant Changes for 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Back