Politics Aussie Fascists and (neo)Nazis

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah they'll use laws they say are to stop the spread of nazi ideology to punish a Jewish man speaking out against Israel

This is always the end result when the state makes a draconian law

It will be used maliciously against people that the state disagrees with

Morrrison used ministerial arrangements meant for anti terrroism and public order to deport Djokovic and ban him for two years.

Joker may not be that popular but it was a clear overreach to do that. Precedent and principal

Morrrison used ministerial arrangements meant for anti terrroism and public order to deport Djokovic and ban him for two years.

Joker may not be that popular but it was a clear overreach to do that. Precedent and principal
The public loved that overreach because it was in line with their beloved covid rules

The public loved that overreach because it was in line with their beloved covid rules

Except that TA and vic govt had followed rules. The various court outcomes show that

Morrison wanted a distraction from something. They used ‘reserve powers’ that Dutton probably had a hand in creating.

I’m resisting the urge to go Godwin here, but that how it starts. And it’s a recent occurrence not some theoretical argument

the cops and media are attacking a Jewish man for calling out genocide and fascism and they don't go nearly this hard at actual Nazis
This is the point where the media should be holding the police to account.

They should take the 5 minutes to Google the legislation and impartially question the use of public resources in chasing people who are clearly not breaking any laws.

This is the point where the media should be holding the police to account.

They should take the 5 minutes to Google the legislation and impartially question the use of public resources in chasing people who are clearly not breaking any laws.
but they won't

it doesn't generate the same traffic or meet their support Israel at all costs position

It's hard to empathise with a rich sports person contributing to public health misinformation.

It's hard to empathise with a rich sports person contributing to public health misinformation.
its one of those things right

it was a pretty popular decision

cheering on that sort of thing is how we end up with laws like we are getting

and then when they are used against us instead of someone we don't like we go oh shit

but the pollies always start with a popular scape goat

or after a traumatic event where people are scared

or both if they can manage it

but most of the time those laws aren't going to be used for those reasons, they're going to be used against normal citizens

If you don't support the rule of law for people you don't like then you don't truly support it at all.
I didn't say I don't support it. I said "It's hard to empathise with a rich sports person contributing to public health misinformation."

It’s still an overreach of powers. Whether it’s ‘popular’ it’s not morally right. Unless you want to give creeping fascism a get out.
Anyway it’s not about this example so much, more that people in power will flout the intent of the legislation they themselves put in place a few years earlier

I didn't say I don't support it. I said "It's hard to empathise with a rich sports person contributing to public health misinformation."

It was a fallacy that joker was campaigning against the health measures in place. But the minister could say that because the reserve powered used had no requirement foraccountsbility, or if it was it was overlooked conveniently.

Anti vaxxer wanted to enter the country when there was a requirement to be vaccinated

He spent the entire time covid lockdowns were happening speaking against measures, running his own tournaments

Oh and that time he knowingly infected people with covid

It was an easy one for the government to flex on because he already had a lot of people offside

If you think our governments worry about overreach you've not been paying attention to what they do

It's an example of how our governments act

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anti vaxxer wanted to enter the country when there was a requirement to be vaccinated

He spent the entire time covid lockdowns were happening speaking against measures, running his own tournaments

Oh and that time he knowingly infected people with covid

It was an easy one for the government to flex on because he already had a lot of people offside

If you think our governments worry about overreach you've not been paying attention to what they do

It's an example of how our governments act

With respect, Gralin, the courts found Djokovic, tennis australia and vic govt had complied correctly with requirements.

Indeed tf I remember, there were a couple of lesser known players in similar situation who weren’t being deported but were rounded up after the fact.

The Morrison govt used reserve powered they put in place for terrorism pulblic order.

Where’s the evidence Djokovic would affect public order? None because the govt weren’t required to provide that. at least they didn’t insult our intelligence by saying potential terrorism. The motivation was political only

Agree on last point

With respect, Gralin, the courts found Djokovic, tennis australia and vic govt had complied correctly with requirements.

Indeed tf I remember, there were a couple of lesser known players in similar situation who weren’t being deported but were rounded up after the fact.

The Morrison govt used reserve powered they put in place for terrorism pulblic order.

Where’s the evidence Djokovic would affect public order? None because the govt weren’t required to provide that. at least they didn’t insult our intelligence by saying potential terrorism. The motivation was political only

Agree on last point
Nothing you have written changes anything I said

And Dutton would be up to his eyeballs in it.

His recent outburst is ‘dodgy students on dodgy visas is the new boat people’. Dodgy unis which flourished when he was minister for all things immigration. He has one Huge brass neck

Playing us for fools. Put them last

And Dutton would be up to his eyeballs in it.

His recent outburst is ‘dodgy students on dodgy visas is the new boat people’. Dodgy unis which flourished when he was minister for all things immigration. He has one Huge brass neck

Playing us for fools. Put them last
Well yeah instead of having any plan or even a concept of a plan lol, why not just play the immigration game with the racist slant, it just might win enough votes.

The one that I had real trouble with was about a year ago with the protest/gathering at the Sydney Opera House - he came out and said they should be deported. Just completely racist, many of them were likely citizens who cannot be deprted.*

*Well, normally not, but they are trying to make some weird laws to make that possible too.

I'm not quite getting the link between Novak being deported and the government turning on its citizens.

People get deported / denied access to the country for less all the time.

Had he been gaoled or something that's a different matter.

Using reserve powers for reasons not what they were intended for. It was being discussed theoretically. I gave an actual example which occurred recently.

We got a bit sidetracked in the minutiae

Remove this Banner Ad

Politics Aussie Fascists and (neo)Nazis

Remove this Banner Ad

Back