Australia v New Zealand 2nd Test at the MCG December 26-30

Remove this Banner Ad

Plugger35 said:
All the talk yesterday about this being the best MCG pitch in years isn't looking so clever now, this has turned into another MCG road.

If Paine and Head are approaching tons you know it's a flat pitch.

I'll back us to score over 400 too if we ever get a chance to bat.

Might bookmark this post Plugger to recall and seek your advice when the Kiwi's are 5 for 60..!!!!

Just a lucky guess in hindsight....?

Last edited:
Yes and no.

Australia’s 400 scores have been among the slowest they’ve made this century, the NZ bowling has been quite respectable and asked a lot of questions. Pakistan’s was diabolical. But you could easily argue the reverse about their batting
NZ's bowling at best is aimed at containing they just don't have the venom to blitz through a decent top order.

I watched the Paine LBW closely 4 times, and each time had no doubt it hit him just outside the line, but ... out.
This part is just plain wrong AH. You can say what you like about the projection part because no one will ever know with 100% certainty what would have happened to the ball but the impact part is certain. There's a massive line that runs stump to stump and the impact of the ball was plotted in the exact spot it hit Paine. It hit him in line. It actually happened, there's no interpretation in it.

One day Australia’s going to play four pacemen in a match and it will probably be the most intimidating attack since the great days of the West Indies. Starc, Cummings, Hazlewood and Pattinson would be a scary proposition for any opposition.

This part is just plain wrong AH. You can say what you like about the projection part because no one will ever know with 100% certainty what would have happened to the ball but the impact part is certain. There's a massive line that runs stump to stump and the impact of the ball was plotted in the exact spot it hit Paine. It hit him in line. It actually happened, there's no interpretation in it.

Pity I don't have the dislike button so I can use it every time you post.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes and no.

Australia’s 400 scores have been among the slowest they’ve made this century, the NZ bowling has been quite respectable and asked a lot of questions. Pakistan’s was diabolical. But you could easily argue the reverse about their batting

Don't confuse we defensive dribble with respectability.

Shane Warne banging on about “resting” a quick for Sydney to play Swepson. He even suggested to give Nathan Lyon a rest to give the young fella a taste.
Seriously, can you imagine John Buchanan telling Warne 20 years ago, you’re having a rest for Sydney because we want to give Macgill or another spinner ‘a taste” he would’ve gone ballistic. He has never forgiven Steve Waugh for dropping him in the West Indies.
He is a dill of a commentator.

Don't confuse we defensive dribble with respectability.

If you can mount an argument to say NZ - santner aside who has been utter junk - have actually been poor with the ball, I’d be interested to hear it.

It does Australia a disservice with the bat to suggest it. They’ve been disciplined and patient and have batted intelligently against generally accurate and patient bowling

NZ's bowling at best is aimed at containing they just don't have the venom to blitz through a decent top order.
10-15kms makes all the difference. NZ have a very good bowling unit but none of them can hit 140-150kms consistently to intimidate the batsmen. It also means the NZ batsmen don’t face this kind of attack regularly and it shows, they look second rate. And they aren’t that bad generally.

Remove this Banner Ad

Australia v New Zealand 2nd Test at the MCG December 26-30

Remove this Banner Ad

Back