Australian Flag.Aboriginal Flag

Remove this Banner Ad

fighting for the flag and queen is a load of tripe, my pop [93 yo] told me once he just looked at surviving each day in ww2.People hope to survive wars not pre-occupation with the flag.

paul scholes said:
fighting for the flag and queen is a load of tripe, my pop [93 yo] told me once he just looked at surviving each day in ww2.People hope to survive wars not pre-occupation with the flag.

all this reverance about maintaining the flag which the diggers fought under .................... i've got news for them, menzies changed the colour scheme of the flag, without a referendum. So that flag is not the same as those poor old diggers fought under. But little Johnny doesnt want you to know this stuff

FuManchu said:
all this reverance about maintaining the flag which the diggers fought under .................... i've got news for them, menzies changed the colour scheme of the flag, without a referendum. So that flag is not the same as those poor old diggers fought under. But little Johnny doesnt want you to know this stuff

That's right. It was the red ensign. But Menzies didn't like red (it was the colour of communism) and changed it to blue.

It's a crock of ******** saying you fight for a flag anyway. If I had to fight i'd be fighting for my family and my comrades-in-arms not some piece of fabric.

tigerdan said:
That's right. It was the red ensign. But Menzies didn't like red (it was the colour of communism) and changed it to blue.

It's a crock of ******** saying you fight for a flag anyway. If I had to fight i'd be fighting for my family and my comrades-in-arms not some piece of fabric.
here here :thumbsu:

Didn't the original post state that the aboriginal flag was hanging in unison with the Australian Flag. Is it just me, or is it not a good thing that something like footy can bring the aboriginal people and white australia together.
I said it before, but the fact that the aboriginal players were singing the Australian National Anthem was quite amazing to me.
I dont know the full history of the national anthem, but I am sure that it is not based on the aboriginal history of Australia.
If the players were willing to sing the national anthem then I am more than happy that the flag they live under was flying alongside the 'Aussie Flag'.

tigerdan said:
Who the ******** are you to speak for dead people? I tell you what, a ******** load of Australian people fought and died for some bull******** war that was forced upon them from our european ancestors. Maybe the dead would say '******** you' to the union jack that they died under. Did you ever think of that? Dying for some bull ******** foreign regime would not make me want to keep the Union Jack flag if I died serving under it.

I have spoken to my grandfather who fought against the Japanese and he thinks the whole thing was a bloody disgrace and he is certainly not a monarchist. What does your grandfather say? Is he glad to have been forced into a war started in Europe? How many friends of his got killed because of it?

Very few people are suggesting to change the Austrlalian flag to the Aboriginal one. From what I have heard the Aboriginal people are happy to keep it their flag. Just like the Basque people in Spain have their own one, and the Cornish have theirs and so on.

ease up big fella, i HAVE spoken to many men who fought in world war 2, and admittedly a lot of them want to retain ties to the queen, but they all said they would be devestated if the flag was changed from its current form. Thats not to say that there arent also many good men like your grandfather that resented being involved in such a pointless waste of life.

for what its worth i agree that i think the aboriginals would prefer their flag remained theirs only, but id be willing to be corrected.

matthedocker said:
ease up big fella, i HAVE spoken to many men who fought in world war 2, and admittedly a lot of them want to retain ties to the queen, but they all said they would be devestated if the flag was changed from its current form. Thats not to say that there arent also many good men like your grandfather that resented being involved in such a pointless waste of life.

for what its worth i agree that i think the aboriginals would prefer their flag remained theirs only, but id be willing to be corrected.

OK (calming down) I don't deny that many older people have an attachment to the old way of life. And that for some people includes keeping the flag the same and remaining a constitutional monarchy. I think that is part of being old - expecting that things will stay the same.

I am sorry if I singled you out - it is hard to differentiate the rational from the redneck sometimes. I do however, think that 'fighting for a flag' has little relevance to the reality of war and I think that having another country's flag on ours is old fashioned and outdated.

How about we set an example and declare a truce!

tigerdan said:
OK (calming down) I don't deny that many older people have an attachment to the old way of life. And that for some people includes keeping the flag the same and remaining a constitutional monarchy. I think that is part of being old - expecting that things will stay the same.

I am sorry if I singled you out - it is hard to differentiate the rational from the redneck sometimes. I do however, think that 'fighting for a flag' has little relevance to the reality of war and I think that having another country's flag on ours is old fashioned and outdated.

How about we set an example and declare a truce!

hehe yeh! X marks my signature, shall we just bicker about football? Richo is a giant ****! :D

This is that flag the diggers fought under in WW2.

300px-Australian-Red-Ensign.png

So that ends that argument.

bunsen burner said:
1. Starting to get sick of Sheedy's agenda and tokenism.
2. Not overly upset about the flag being there but it shouldn't have been there. Last time I checked it wasn't an aboriginal all stars team.

100% right on both accounts.

not meaning to stir the pot at all on this one its just my opinion.

now the British empire, its all but fallen around their makers and the union jack
is nothing more than an old rag covered in dust up in the attic. ive always hated the uj (butchers apron) because rape, murder and genocide have always been commited under it. (in the forming of the empire NOT WHEN the empire was formed) "britain" sent oz's soldiers off to get killed on the beaches of gallipolli and fight a war for the "empire" which was not ours to fight. look at the stolen generation, ********ing disgraceful families torn apart e.t.c should we become a republic? if we do then we can become a "nation" and govern ourselves, if we stay with the "empire" then we are still attached to something that really means nothing to us as a nation, and has no relevance at all. but are we in a sense a "republic"? if we become a republic what will we get?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

tigerdan said:

comrades-in-arms?

what are you some commie ********er?

A Flag is a banner of a Nation, the greatest defining symbol of that country.

Many men fought for and under banners in history.

Go and read stories from wars, when the bannerman was killed another man would always pick up the banner and carry it forward.

If these flags mattered so little why was it such an honour to carry them into battle?
and why would anyone pick it up once it had fallen in battle?

Paralowiepower said:
Anyone else starting to feel sick?
yes..FFS, its our flag for everyone under the aussie sun and abroad!!!

our current flag is ours and should stay and that is the flag that should be flown...i dont mind the boxing kangaroo tho....

UNIT said:
And thats the point IMO. Why not stick an Italian flag up for Giansiricusa too while were at? Oh thats right because of the black armband nature of looking at the history of this nation, only Aboriginals are the ones that are allowed to take pride in their heritage. We are either one nation under one flag, or were just a pack of tribes waiting for the inevitable civil war to happen.
FFS, i agree for once :D

TheBrownDog said:
This is that flag the diggers fought under in WW2.

300px-Australian-Red-Ensign.png

So that ends that argument.

Thats the Australian Merchant Navy red ensign.

AndSmithMustScore said:
comrades-in-arms?

what are you some commie ********er?

A Flag is a banner of a Nation, the greatest defining symbol of that country.

Many men fought for and under banners in history.

Go and read stories from wars, when the bannerman was killed another man would always pick up the banner and carry it forward.

If these flags mattered so little why was it such an honour to carry them into battle?
and why would anyone pick it up once it had fallen in battle?

Some stories suggest a soldier in two minds about a certain death from enemy bullets, would be 'persuaded' by the certainty of a bullet from his own officer if he didn't.

Thats why officers cary revolvers not rifles - revolvers used for short range killing.

Paralowiepower said:
boxing.gif

Being in WA, this one should of been there too!

That should be the aussie flag without doubt.

And UNIT's post was an absolute ripper.

An interesting topic of discussion this and when is our national anthem going to be changed?!

tigerdan said:
..... the yanks should fly the Union Jack too. Surely "coz it shows who really made this country" applies to the Americans as much as Australians.
Americans removed the Union Jack from their flag in 1778.

The Grand Union flag was an early US flag that was officially adopted by the Continental Congress in 1775. This flag was first flown in December, 1775, by the Colonial fleet of ships in the Delaware River. On land, it was first flown on January 1, 1776, at George Washington's headquarters near Boston when General Washington took command of the reorganized Continental Army.

This red, white, and blue flag featured 13 red and white stripes (representing the 13 colonies) and pictured a small British Union Jack flag in the canton position (a small square on the top, by the flag pole). This flag represented the Continental Congress for two years, after which it was replaced by Old Glory (the predecessor of the current flag, featuring 13 stripes and 13 stars).

big.GIF

UNIT said:
I dont think we can. We should of stopped after the Greeks and Italians. They embraced and understand the concept of assimilation. Those that followed havent and have only brought heroin, Islamic fundementalism, gang warfare and tribalism.

can you not remember soccer in the 80s and 90s in australia? it was the european tribalism...

gang warefare? man that goes back 150 years, 1/2 the old gangs were irish, british and italian.

gangiatano was an italian descent gangster who forged a union with the irish boys to muscle in on the old boys and started of a 15 year war in melbourne.

the bikies drug and gun runners are basically euro descent hoods.

islamic fundamentalism is a problem, but not much different from those freaks who molested little children and british boat children, and they were called the Christian Brothers, just as damaging to Australia as anything the islamic freaks have done here, and we are breeding a whole new generation of brain dead morons at hillsong and co.

the Chinese made up 25% of the population in the 1840s to 1880s now they make up less than 18%...so you can't exactly say they are new commers either can you?

FFS sometimes unit for a relatively bright person you can be an utter ignoramus.

Pessimistic said:
Some stories suggest a soldier in two minds about a certain death from enemy bullets, would be 'persuaded' by the certainty of a bullet from his own officer if he didn't.

Thats why officers cary revolvers not rifles - revolvers used for short range killing.
its amazing the number of british second lieutenants that were shot in the back by germans and turks using captured australian rifles ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Australian Flag.Aboriginal Flag

Remove this Banner Ad

Back