Australian Wrestling thread

Remove this Banner Ad

God, I'm so happy for her and so proud of her.

And knowing that there were WWE scouts in attendance for at least 2 MCW shows, I think the fandom can feel as though they're a little part of Zaria's journey. Debuting at the top of the NXT card is pretty cool.
Wrestling scout. Easiest job in the world

I watched Fight to Survive tonight - I can absolutely understand why there was that sense of immediate excitement on Saturday/Sunday from those who went to the show. It looked like one of those super, super hot MCW crowds you get 3-4 times a year, they were hot from the start, and the wrestlers in the last 2 matches in particular gave them a lot to get behind, they were both really good matches.

Is it strange that they've retroactively tried to make Dusk the leader of the resistence after he lost to Ricky at the last show? Given the lead up to Fight to Survive he probably strikes me as guy who should've been facing Slex at End Game.

I love that there's been a lot invested into a tag team feud, especially when everything about the Parea was really organic (unlike Dusk's turn IMO)... but how do we feel about the big feud of the year, and the biggest show of the year ending with a tag match? "Failure" isn't the right word, cos it'll be a really good match that's been built really well. But to not have the main title be the focus of the biggest show of the year strikes me as a touch "odd" given everything I've ever been conditioned to know about wrestling.

I watched Fight to Survive tonight - I can absolutely understand why there was that sense of immediate excitement on Saturday/Sunday from those who went to the show. It looked like one of those super, super hot MCW crowds you get 3-4 times a year, they were hot from the start, and the wrestlers in the last 2 matches in particular gave them a lot to get behind, they were both really good matches.

Is it strange that they've retroactively tried to make Dusk the leader of the resistence after he lost to Ricky at the last show? Given the lead up to Fight to Survive he probably strikes me as guy who should've been facing Slex at End Game.

I love that there's been a lot invested into a tag team feud, especially when everything about the Parea was really organic (unlike Dusk's turn IMO)... but how do we feel about the big feud of the year, and the biggest show of the year ending with a tag match? "Failure" isn't the right word, cos it'll be a really good match that's been built really well. But to not have the main title be the focus of the biggest show of the year strikes me as a touch "odd" given everything I've ever been conditioned to know about wrestling.
The Parea are just about the hottest act in Aussie wrestling, you close with your hottest act IMO, especially if its paying off 2 years of story

The Parea are hot. Go with what's hot.

Delta left. Slex was injured. You have to pivot, which they did. Ugg was pretty hot in the match too.

At the start of this, I said. I wasn't in love with the whole turn Slex heel thing after Buddy. But you know what, it's panned out and drawn really well. At the end of the day, was it perfect? No. Did it draw pretty much one of the biggest consistent houses in Australia in recent memory? Yes.

Really, I think Slam is the only group that may have out drawn them.

I do like the contrast of the past few years with a longer story thread running through it, despite how many bumps they had to deal with. It was really Brooks - Challenger, Mitch - Challenger, for a long while, good to change it up and if they stick the landing at Endgame, well that's all the better for them.

If they go with Ugg

They still have South-Ugg (a proven great match), could do Brooks-Ugg off that finish in the tag. Mitch-Ugg. Build up Thorpe a bit more and do Thorpe-Ugg etc.... Lots of options.

Slex was going to America I’m pretty sure in September but I guess it fell through so there’s probably some changes to be made knowing you have the champion now.

The tag is clearly the main event, with the stipulation, the build and that the parea are really your top baby faces. Just makes sense.

Dusk losing to Ricky in retrospect was clearly to set them up together to feud going into this match at Endgame, I assume to pivot dusk to the title in the new year which is why I’m guessing they’ve got him featured heavily against the icons now so you’ve got the groundwork for later after Ricky.

It’s been two turns made by the crowd, endgame last year was basically 50/50 with dusk and brooks. I think if they wanted Dusks turn to be like the Pareas they should’ve done more then have him just kind of floating at the start of the year.

The Parea have just been chosen by the mcw crowd, they pushed them with the groundswell under them, buddy gave them the nod and they’ve been unstoppable since. I’m excited to see them get to hopefully just run next year and move away from stories with Rocky.

Ugg should be the world title match at endgame. Unless the run in at Fight to survive was to get Ugg to chase Thorpe?

It makes me happy that people are signing up to or re-joining BF to discuss Aussie wrestling, and that this is perhaps becoming the best site (other than FB I guess) to discuss local wrestling.

I'm sure I'll be snarky and patronising towards most of you at some point, but for now, while you aren't pissing me off? Welcome to all of you. ("Welcome" probably isn't the right word... "Happy to have you around for as long as you aren't a moron" is probably more accurate :D )

Slex was going to America I’m pretty sure in September but I guess it fell through so there’s probably some changes to be made knowing you have the champion now.

The tag is clearly the main event, with the stipulation, the build and that the parea are really your top baby faces. Just makes sense.

Dusk losing to Ricky in retrospect was clearly to set them up together to feud going into this match at Endgame, I assume to pivot dusk to the title in the new year which is why I’m guessing they’ve got him featured heavily against the icons now so you’ve got the groundwork for later after Ricky.

It’s been two turns made by the crowd, endgame last year was basically 50/50 with dusk and brooks. I think if they wanted Dusks turn to be like the Pareas they should’ve done more then have him just kind of floating at the start of the year.

The Parea have just been chosen by the mcw crowd, they pushed them with the groundswell under them, buddy gave them the nod and they’ve been unstoppable since. I’m excited to see them get to hopefully just run next year and move away from stories with Rocky.

Ugg should be the world title match at endgame. Unless the run in at Fight to survive was to get Ugg to chase Thorpe?

I think Slex's year changed a little when he hurt himself. They didn't really make anything of it at MCW, but he herniated a disc before he was due to face Shelton at OPW, which is why he didn't wrestle at High Stakes and he didn't really bump at Ballroom Brawl. (He also pulled out of shows with EPW and SLAM.)

I don't think Ugg has been built well enough to put the title on him, I think much as this is supposed to be a defined end of a storyline chapter, Slex has to keep the belt until Dusk is ready to take it. Last week is easily the closest he's been to that level in terms of crowd reactions.

How are the BCW shows?
I’ve never been to one and they look like a complete fever dream sometimes.

I am morbidly curious though.
The Melbourne ones are boring. Then they will book an Australian match of the year level match. But that hasn't happened in a while. Not so much bad per se. Just really dull.

The Sydney ones (when they used to do them) were amazing. Just complete disasters which got to the point where the ring announcer was apologising for the finishes. Honestly. The most fun I've ever had at a show was the Severn vs Shamrock show with 3! non finishes. I have never laughed so hard besides maybe the Padstow AWF show with amazing gimmicks like the Outsider.

I’ve followed the thread for awhile but stayed away from posting because normally a group of wrestling fans never ends well hahah But everyone for the most part here just genuinely wants to talk aus wrestling and I think that’s awesome.

Oh shit I didn’t know about the injury, that may explain a lot of stuff. I had forgot about seeing him drop out of those shows. Look as much as you can complain about the title being stagnate, I’d rather have Slex healthy then have him wrestling and risking himself.

I see what you’re saying with Ugg, I said in a previous post that I don’t really know where that goes. You’ve got the Ricky match I guess but MCWs main event just being a rehash from PWA sits weird. I know it doesn’t matter but it’s one of those things to me.

id love to see him win it but I’d hate for it to fizzle out as ‘the babyface wins the title but we were actually just in it for the chase’ sort of scenarios. As great as he is to watch live, I was super underwhelmed by him as the champ
at Renegades, characters just doesn’t really lend itself to telling those big stories.

Maybe you’re onto something though, endgame seems to be the end of the storyline’s, but maybe that’s the perfect place to start your next big story of Dusk and Slex? That big show big win is what dusk needs, Ricky’s the perfect guy to help him get every out of it too.

All I know is I really hope Waterman is back in the fold more next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How are the BCW shows?
I’ve never been to one and they look like a complete fever dream sometimes.

I am morbidly curious though.

Much like kistan says, they are hit and miss... with a lot more misses than hits.

The shows of theirs that are generally worth looking into are the ones where they've sought out a current international hot property. Vikingo vs Brooks and Vikingo vs Moretti are 2 of the best matches I've ever seen locally, and the 2nd of those matches I guess gets you in the door to check out things like a phenomenal tag team cage match between the Natural Classics and the Parea.

I wouldn't bother with their shows that focus on locals, cos a lot of it's not good, and I haven't bothered with shows like last nights, or The Godfather a few months ago, where they jack up the price to an exorbitant level to pay an appearance fee for someone that doesn't wrestle, or doesn't provide a great match.

Maybe it doesn't matter to most people, but I was pretty annoyed seeing on facebook that Angle was signing whatever people wanted when BCW had explicitly said that he wouldn't. It doesn't make any sense. The best way, I thought, to get people to pay $100 to see Angle not wrestle is to get collectors in who want figures and cards signed. BCW said he wouldn't be doing it, so I didn't consider a ticket, then he ended up signing figures and cards.

I wonder how many tickets they didn't sell to people like me?

Honestly. The most fun I've ever had at a show was the Severn vs Shamrock show with 3! non finishes. I have never laughed so hard besides maybe the Padstow AWF show with amazing gimmicks like the Outsider.

The more I meet Sydney people in wrestling circles, this show must have had 5000 people at it. Like some Grand Finals that must have had 300,000 people at them, everyone claims to have been at that show.

Remove this Banner Ad

Australian Wrestling thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back