Automatic starters in our best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Ahhh...another anti-Welshy poster.

You have joined a large club on this board who share you're views on the local lad.

But not me. He is an automatic starter without even thinking about it....

Damn straight.

I'm also wondering why no one has mentioned NLM... injuries aside, I'd put him in starting backline every game of the year.

You have joined a large club on this board who share you're views on the local lad.

Maybe the fact that there are many many people on this board who think he's no good might indicate that there are a number of question marks over him. Certainly enough that he shouldn't be considered an automatic starter.

He's our best ruckman...

David Hille's second half in the last game of the season was one of the best ruck performances I've seen at Essendon in a long, long time.

David Hille lacks consistency, but so does Laycock and on that performance alone, Hille's best is still better than Laycock's best for mine.

Maybe the fact that there are many many people on this board who think he's no good might indicate that there are a number of question marks over him. Certainly enough that he shouldn't be considered an automatic starter.

His best and fairest results the last two years suggest otherwise.

Matthew Lloyd
Scott Lucas
Dustin Fletcher
Mal Michael
Mark McVeigh
David Hille
Brent Stanton
Paddy Ryder
Alwyn Davey
Andrew Welsh
Andrew Lovett

Adam McPhee

Agree with you there except, Michael and Hille, I would go with Laycock instead, i think its time we went with Laycock, whenever he has gone solo in a game has played alot better. Id like it if Hille played forward next to Lloyd and supported Laycock in the ruck.

I reckon the next 3 years will see Winders and Laycock excell as a perfect combination of tap ruck and pace.

I know a lot of people still think they are raw and may not live up to their potential, but the work they have been doing together will really boost this prediction.

What's this automatic starts crap?

Apparently we're building a side where there will be high competition for places.

You can expect guys like Lloyd, Lucas and Fletcher to all pull their weight, that's why they'll get picked evey week.

But after that, nothing should be automatic at this point.

Come round 1, the best 22 should be picked, regardless of who they are and from there, it's a week-by-week proposition.

I know. I read about that. But basically I'm asking who do you think (if completely fit) , should be in the team every or nearly every week.

If Laycock wants to be an 'auto starter' he needs to do some serious work on his fitness....

No one has mentioned Slattery - I don't neccessarily disagree, but I find it interesting....has he not moved into the number 1 tagger role? if not, I would suggest Pev needs to be an 'auto starter'....

Agree with you there except, Michael and Hille, I would go with Laycock instead, i think its time we went with Laycock, whenever he has gone solo in a game has played alot better. Id like it if Hille played forward next to Lloyd and supported Laycock in the ruck.
but you cant have Lucas, Lloyd, hille and gumby in the forward line with players like Mcphee and Neagle rotating through. Its just too tall and opposition will run the ball out of defence (you cant expect Davey to stop them every time)

is slattery an auto starter....he had a solid season last year but with other young guys coming through do you think he'll be auto>???

Agree on all except Welsh. There is no way he should be an automatic starter.
Why not? Adds leadership, toughness and versatility to either our forward line or backline. He'll be at least a Vice-Captain - IMHO - before his career ends

And agree with view on Laycock. His form last year was very encouraging, but he's still not quite there yet. Will be interesting to see if Ryder's used as a ruck or KPP

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And agree with view on Laycock. His form last year was very encouraging, but he's still not quite there yet. Will be interesting to see if Ryder's used as a ruck or KPP
Laycock will be a starting player. Knights has stated he wants Ryder playing predominantly as a backman, also rucking in the backline.

He is one of the first picked every week, no doubt about that.

He's our best ruckman...

Laycock has enormous potential and is more skillfull than Hille but he is still a long way off being as good as him.

Hille is an on field leader for us and is still more value to the team at this point in time.

If Laycock can get some consistency into his game things may change.

15-16 would be automatic starters.

You are right there WH.

This is exactly what happen the same time last year on this board. Heaps of BF Bombers got all excited about who was going to be included in the side come rd1 and what did we get?....as expected we saw only the senior,experienced players in. Slattery,Jetta and Davey were the only real surprises.

Anyone who believes that Knights will spring a few surprises in rd1 and put in a whole new bunch of youngsters in like Neagle,Dempsey,Hislop, Houli and Reimers etc, all at the same time...will be disappointed.

Interesting to note though, from that side last year we have only a few who won't be around to be selected for the 2008 rd1 match. As in..Kepler,Johnno and Bolton (even though he was an emergency).

Injuries at the time kept players like Camporeale,Nash,JJ,Cole,Dempsey and Laycock out so Sheedy slotted a couple of new recruits in the side.

Dyson and Johns were emergencies. Heff wasn't selected for some reason.

So really,apart from Hird,Kepler and Johnno,I don't think the rd 1 2008 side will look much different from rd 1 2007.

Maybe Gumby,Nash,Laycock,Johns or Dyson will be included this year,but I reckon Knights won't muck around with the line-up to much.

Laycock needs some white line fever like Paddy Ryder.

Seems too placid at times and from memory, had a stinker of a game against Carlton late in the season.

Too early to call him a certain starter over Hille just yet, especially with his consistency.
Yeah he had a horrible first half but improved in the second. But in saying that, all players have stinkers here and there and i think laycock had a pretty good year

G'day all.... i agree with ari18, wheres the love for Nat Lovett Murray:confused:

Under normal circumstances i would say that NLM would be an automatic selection however Knight's has indicated that he will not play a player that is less than 100% fit and i think this puts a query over him.

In my opinion it's a clean slate for 08 (and it rhymes, perhaps that should have been the slogan...or perhaps not)....anyway, I reckon there's a whole bunch of guys who'd have been every bit 'automatic' under sheeds, but who will need to prove themselves all over again to knights.

Guys like McPhee and Lovett-Murray will be battling it out with Welsh and Nash and even guys like Myers and Pears. None of the above would be automatic at this stage.

Even David Hille could be not quite automatic if Knights likes the thought of a Laycock and Ryder combo for the next decade.

So I guess in summary I'd say that Lloyd, Lucas and Fletcher are the only automatic selections.

However, in the spirit of the thread I'm going to nominate Courtney Dempsey as the guy who will make himself an automatic starter as the year progresses.

Remove this Banner Ad

Automatic starters in our best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Back