Autopsy Autopsy thread Dogs v Hawks

Remove this Banner Ad

http://www.afl.com.au/video/2016-04-11/magpies-are-in-big-trouble

I'm pissed off.

2 things, of the Dogs v Hawks game, coming out of the 'Access All Areas' mini-show by Damien Barrett and Matthew Lloyd that need to be highlighted:

1. WHY THE F**K WAS MATTHEW LLOYD ACTUALLY SMILING WHEN DISCUSSING BOB'S INJURY?? Pause at 1:38min mark to see.

2. How can someone so 'respected' as a journalist (Barrett), within the AFL circle, be so reactive as to say that Jake Stringer may be a liability to our team, and that others perform better when he's on the bench. This, coming after his round 1 'Sliding Doors' piece where he named Stringer his fourth favourite player in the entire competition. I mean, come on, I reckon Ben Stratton played one of the best games he's had in years against Stringer, fair play to him.
After last weeks crap "ambush interview" with LB on Footy Crapafied, I dont know why people event watch, read or listen to anything that "goggles" Barrett has to say about our club.

Coaches votes
View attachment 234497
Current tally for Dogs players:
14- JJ
11- Dahl
11- Adams
9- Libba
8- Hunter
7- Biggs
7- Stringer
6- Bob
5- Daniel
1- Picken
1- Macrae
Not too often you dominate the coaches votes in a loss (20-10). Shows we had the game just didn't finish...:cry:

Tom Boyd looks really good in the ruck. Has good aggression, that doesn't seem to translate in the forward line. Thought he crashed some packs really well, though. And wish we played that extra tall, some of those Stringer dropped marks could have possibly been converted.

With five minutes to go I was resigned to defeat, with three minutes to go I was in absolute shock we were in front. How was the fight by our lads. Being five goals down against the reigning premiers before we'd kicked a goal would have broken just about any other team in the comp. We fought back time and time again. These boys know they can achieve something special, they know they have it in them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't want to turn this into an umpiring bash cause we lost the game ourselves , but I think it was Breust had no eyes for the ball grabbed and sheparded Murphy away from the contest.

Umpire was on the wrong side and didnt see it. From our view it was obvious but one that would never be paid aka paul williams jumper hold in leo barry's mark.

The more i think about it, the more the narrative of this game is similar to the Freo game last year. Against a team expected to be competing at the end of the year, go down 5 goals to zip early on before we start to get back in the game. Final quarter a see-sawing battle but eventually go down in the final two mins of the game.

This year when we played Fremantle, we completely outplayed them. What happens next time we play the Hawks remains to be seen but geez, we'd have to be confident.

The more i think about it, the more the narrative of this game is similar to the Freo game last year. Against a team expected to be competing at the end of the year, go down 5 goals to zip early on before we start to get back in the game. Final quarter a see-sawing battle but eventually go down in the final two mins of the game.

This year when we played Fremantle, we completely outplayed them. What happens next time we play the Hawks remains to be seen but geez, we'd have to be confident.

Yeah I had the same thought immediately after the game how similar it was to our loss to Freo last year.

Don't want to turn this into an umpiring bash cause we lost the game ourselves , but I think it was Breust had no eyes for the ball grabbed and sheparded Murphy away from the contest.

Sorry to intrude. I honestly thought it was a bit lucky at the time too. But I just watched a replay of the final 2 minutes on the Hawks site and there are a couple of slo-mos of when Bob hurt his knee....

Bruest definitely did have his eyes on the ball. He was grappling with Bob and I think he thought he had a shot at the mark. Sicily just floated in from nowhere. It was made to look worse because poor Bob couldn't complete the contest.

There were many, many questionable decisions throughout the game and I think we did a little better out of them than you, but that one wasn't one of them.

A positive look for the Bulldogs would be to compare it to Hawthorn's late season game against Geelong in 2008. Geelong pipped us but it was close enough that Hawthorn had genuine belief that they could match the juggernaut. Had Geelong lost that game, they would not of been nearly as complacent (and arrogant) going into the grand final.

In the grand scheme of things, losing the tight one is not a bad result for a young team with genuine premiership aspirations this year.

There were many, many questionable decisions throughout the game and I think we did a little better out of them than you, but that one wasn't one of them.

Yep, the Sicily mark wasn't holding or shepherding and he would have taken it even if Murph's knee didn't go and he tried to contest it

agree, if i was the umpire, i wouldn't call a free kick for shepherding either. It wasn't obvious enough, otherwise they would have to call that almost every 2nd marking contest

Agreed. But we also had some stars like Dixon and Wood out.

It was a shattering game at the end of the day, but we should all be proud that we came within 3 points (I take it as both teams won) of winning, to a tough and brutal side. It's not like Hawthorn played shit which is why we got close to them.

You won't get too many matches were your so close to winning against the Hawks when they are playing in their top form.

It would of been good to have Wood in the defence, as he would of given the others confidence to go forward. Players were too nervous in the 1st qtr, and thats what helped Hawthorn at the end of the day
I think we really missed Wood as he has the speed to cover a lot of ground fast and make a contest of the high mark.
We had great heroic players like Dahl libba and Caleb. Biggs and McLean had good games, but many were negated or down on form or match fitness. We werent firing on all cylinders and it was a tough loss in a finals type intensity match

A positive look for the Bulldogs would be to compare it to Hawthorn's late season game against Geelong in 2008. Geelong pipped us but it was close enough that Hawthorn had genuine belief that they could match the juggernaut. Had Geelong lost that game, they would not of been nearly as complacent (and arrogant) going into the grand final.

In the grand scheme of things, losing the tight one is not a bad result for a young team with genuine premiership aspirations this year.
I agree, I said before the game if we didn't beat the Hawks by four goals and get into their heads, then a close loss is the next best thing, to keep the boys hungry.

has anyone seen the footage of Birchall hitting Roughy? see Birchall has copped a fine just like to know if it was worth a week like it has been in the past for off the ball incidents.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Autopsy thread Dogs v Hawks

Remove this Banner Ad

Back