Autopsy Autopsy thread Dogs v Hawks

Remove this Banner Ad

Our Structure once we hit the lead was all wrong.
Murphy screaming and hand waving players to come back to defence for the next bounce after the stringer goal. Not one player came back.
The we rush a point, Hawks all push to our forward 50. Murphy the only one with a brain, works out they are looking for the fast break. At least 6 of our players should have dropped back, even concede or contest with less the first kick in but never be 2 on 1 inside 50.
Overall not a bad effort, lots of players barely had a kick the last quarter which didn't help, I think 7 with 1 possession or less.

My take on the game:

A great game destroyed by muppet umpiring that leaves us in a position where we don't know who would have actually won had the game been umpired correctly. Both sides had bad calls, but the question is whether the one side was gifted more than the other. We don't know and unfortunately it looks like poor umpiring decided the result rather than the players.

So the question I have is why are journalists quick to point out players having a bad game but they neglect to mention muppet umpiring and simply say that the umpire had a shocker. They say something mild like "aw, he was a little unlucky with that call" instead of "that was a bad call by the umpire". They say "there was confusion with the deliberate out of bounds". There was no confusion, the only confused was the muppet umpires who left their a game at home and seemed more intent on making themselves the centre of attention instead of letting the players play.

On a separate note, sad for Bob and hopefully he comes back in 2017 to see the doggies win a flag. He deserves it.

I keep thinking about the Hawks rushed kick out of the backline, if it had gone to most other places we would have had it covered, Bob never would have been in that situation and we most likely would have won. But no, it had to flukily fall in the arms of Burgoyne (how good is he when the game is on the line by the way). Hopefully this is a sliding doors moment where what looks like the bad life path ends up being the better one.
Don't do it to yourself man. All true but it's done now. I was almost sure we had it with 2 minutes to go...then that kick out of the backline was followed by "no, no, no, no, no, nooooooooooooooooo"

Re-watching the game and the Hawks came out and physically imposed themselves on the match. I think that was part of the ugly start, but after quarter time, i'd say we matched them in the physicality stakes. I saw many times where Hawks bodies were flung just as much, if not more than Dogs were. Then when Lewis had a crack at Toby for ducking, all the lads got in and flew the flag. We aren't meek nor are we afraid. We're starting to see some mongrel come out which for me is an underrated part of a successful team. We have all the ingredients, and as someone else said, now it's purely about execution which will come with experience. It was important we weren't blown away, we were yet we still fought back. The belief from that will hold us in good stead for the rest of the year, and a narrow loss could well stoke the fire within more than a win.

To put things in perspective, in November 2014, if anyone said that the Dogs would go down to the Hawks by 3 points, then you'd be put in a mental asylum. We're still the fourth youngest list in the league by age, and given the improvement in the guys, we're still not anywhere close to our potential.

Unsociable, pfft. Cowardly is what it is.

A few of their players need to cop the Harbrow treatment.

No doubt we wee a bit spooked by it all in the first quarter, the pressure got to us and Hawks were came out to play but once we settled we beat them over the rest of the game, next time we play them we'll know we can beat them and we will. im sure of that.

I like how we usually score our goals from turnovers but up against a side like Hawthorn who dont turn the ball over we changed our game and scored heavily from stoppages.

No doubt we wee a bit spooked by it all in the first quarter, the pressure got to us and Hawks were came out to play but once we settled we beat them over the rest of the game, next time we play them we'll know we can beat them and we will. im sure of that.

I like how we usually score our goals from turnovers but up against a side like Hawthorn who dont turn the ball over we changed our game and scored heavily from stoppages.
It's a good point. We rarely got to play our style and we still got within 3 points. But we also managed to stop them from playing their style for a half (middle two quarters). Your last point just reminds me of how epic Dahl was.

Being positive for a second, we were completely off our game in the first quarter and a bit but still only conceded 20-30 odd points and kept the game within striking distance. 12 months ago we'd have been blown away if we overused and dispossessed the ball that much. You're never going to be perfect for a whole game, you just have to make sure you minimise the damage done against you during your lulls. For (near enough to) the first time against a top-line side, we managed that to a pretty good extent.

As evidenced by the last quarter we're not quite there yet but you can certainly see the development.

I am shattered for Bob how unlucky in the last minute and half. Hard to look at positives after that but there were many.
We got slaughtered in the first quarter by the umps probably even up a bit in the last quarter.
If I have time I will watch the replay of the first quarter tonight but if it looks as bad as it was the first time a severe bout of apoplexy will return.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

haven't read much of this just passing through with a few tidbits-

loved Mclean's game he helped get us rolling, coming along great.

Adams keeps standing up.

Daniel is maybe already a star of the comp. Dahl was a behemoth.

We're looking better at the moment with Boyd as the focal point up forward, but playing him in the ruck is working a treat.

Roughead's last centre bounce ruck tap was exquisite

We're looking better at the moment with Boyd as the focal point up forward, but playing him in the ruck is working a treat.
This is a good point, perhaps Boyd could use some of his salary to clone himself so we can play one in both positions.

Coaches votes
image.jpeg
Current tally for Dogs players:
14- JJ
11- Dahl
11- Adams
9- Libba
8- Hunter
7- Biggs
7- Stringer
6- Bob
5- Daniel
1- Picken
1- Macrae

Coaches votes
View attachment 234497
Current tally for Dogs players:
14- JJ
11- Dahl
11- Adams
9- Libba
8- Hunter
7- Biggs
7- Stringer
6- Bob
5- Daniel
1- Picken
1- Macrae

Adams has had an unbelievable debut 3 games! These votes from the coaches are worth more than Brownlows IMO. To be equal second in a team performing as well as we have , Wowser!

Has anyone ever obliterated the Hawks in contested ball the way we did in the third qtr?
Q3 numbers (all in favour of Dogs):
Disposals: 136-68
Contested ball: 58-27
Clearances: 17-7
Score: 6.3-2.2

We have the inside grunt, just missing that bit of poise on the outside. To do that against a team that was urged to be ferocious in the lead up is a big tick to our boys.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Autopsy thread Dogs v Hawks

Remove this Banner Ad

Back