Autopsy Autopsy vs Collingwood aka the Great Pain Robbery

Remove this Banner Ad

disagree.

that 2014 to 2016 team had A graders across all lines.

Brown was the 3rd best KPF....Goldy at his prime, wells, boomer, cunners, higgins, jacobs, swallow in the middle...Thompson and Tarrant - 2 AA KPD.

they weren't all under 26 like the stars on our current list, but still a top tier list.
We had a soft draw for the first half of 2016, so our top of the table ladder position flattered us.
Once we came up against the better teams in the second half of the year, we got found out and fell away badly. I think we only won 1 game in the back half of the season. Then got flogged by 10 goals in a final in Adelaide, been nowhere near finals since.

Maybe the officials were unavailable for comment as they had a Daicos family BBQ to attend?

They were forecasting a late night as to finish the evening off they all had plans of tickling Nick’s balls as they read him a bed time story.

🤔. Scarily accurate account….
Whatever it is l guess we’ll find out tomorrow…but personally lm over the we got it wrong..
About time they say…our blunders determined the outcome of this match…
But alas…fantasy land

Once statements like this are made the best I can say to you is that ...probably best for you to take a rest now.
🤣 You’re right. I suppose I should take a rest from backing in our players after our best performance in yonks. Surely, there must be a scapegoat out there for me to get into.

With respect we did enough to hang on. Just not enough to hang on AND overcome the umpires.

Everyone at the game knew the fix was on as soon as the third quarter started.

Both side paid 10 Free Kicks up to half time and h then they go on a rampage in the third paying Collingwood free kick after free kick. Most of them flops by Collingwood players.

You still shouldn’t lose that game at that margin, but the umpires gave Collingwood every chance they could to get into the contest and they walked through the door.

If that game is umpired to the standard that should be expected of this level, the game was over.

2 free kicks against Collingwood in a half of footy tells the story. Especially when the media shows 4 infringements in the last minutes of the game that were just ignored.

It’s getting harder to take that tin foil hat off with the way AFL games are getting decided these days.

That was what I read on Footywire, 10 frees each up until half time, to then end up 24 to 14 or an astonishing extra 10 frees to the Pies after half time.

Only the best of football teams will overcome that sort of free kick differential in a half of football.

I watch a lot of games of football, probably 5 to 7 every week, maybe every game sometimes, and increasingly I have been noticing, particularly in first halves, where one team receives maybe 5 to 8 extra frees on their opposition, they generally have built a decent lead by the main break. (In Darwin recently the GC versus Geelong free kick count was 17 to 3 in favour of the GC at half time. Is that really a true indication of how many frees should have been paid or not paid???)

Last night, Adelaide led by not enough at half time, having enjoyed a clear advantage free kick wise in the first half. Sydney, who look to be the team to beat for the flag, had a wonderful second half both in terms of scoring and also in free kicks, ending ip winning the overall free kick count 24 to 22. There was a period in that second half where the Adelaide supporters were raging about how many soft frees were going to Sydney and I don't blame them. And I was barracking for the Swans, because my late brother was an old South Melbourne supporter. How he would have loved seeing this bunch of Swans play.

But last nights game was a pretty pale reflection, in my opinion, of the impact that bad umpiring decisions are having on the game.

I do not believe that there is/was a conspiracy at the AFL to ensure certain results are achieved. If there is/was, then by now someone would have come out and exposed it, because eventually corruption does get exposed and imagine what would happen to any sporting competition that actually directed umpires/referees to manipulate outcomes.

Instead, I firmly believe that the root problem is that the umpires are in the main, grossly incompetent. many of them are not good enough to be able to make consistently good judgements and their incompetence is unfairly manipulating the outcome of far too many games.

Yes, there are people who will say that it is a tough gig being an umpire, the game is too fast nowadays, there are too many grey areas in the rules. Of course there is, but that should not be an out for them. They do get paid, though probably not enough and this is something that the AFL can control, by making them full time, making it as much of a profession as the players and paid at the same level as the players.

Add to this the terribly unfair advantage given to one side over another when a 50 metre penalty is paid or in todays case also not paid. 50 metres is further than some players can kick and when one is paid to any side, it is effectively the equivalent of an extra possession, taken in a much better position, to impact on the outcome of the game. And especially so when the recipient of the 50, is moved from a position outside goal range, to within easy scoring range. My memory escapes me as to how many of those the Pies might have benefited from today in that last quarter, but just one less free and one less 50 metre penalty leading to a goal, would have meant we won that game.

The North Melbourne Football Club deserved to win that game today. One less bad decision, or one less 50 metre penalty leading to a goal to the Pies would have delivered us that win. I don't care what anyone else says, the upside for our club from a win today, would have been huge, but instead it is, at the least in the short term very demoralising, especially for the players.

Conversely, that win today to the Pies, has in my opinion, given them a significant leg up in the race for the flag. Without that umpiring today, they would be lower placed on the ladder and other teams would be higher.,

It is in my opinion totally unacceptable that incompetent umpiring is having such a huge influence on the outcomes of too many games.

Last edited:
So they need 24 hours to try and justify a blatant mistake.

Why not save us all the time and admit that your crew ****ed up……again!

So they have 24 hours to find some patsy to divert attention from another blunder under her watch.

Did Clarko do something this week that they can try and turn into scandal?

This competition for something that proclaims to be professional, sure had a lot of amateurs running it.
I bet they’ll say Wardlaw should have given away 50 in the third for encroachment.

**** the Collingwood board is sad to read

Not a lot of braincells over there
Is it ever!

I have to be really honest, i don't pay much attention to Nth Melbourne these days. I came over here clearly due todays bullkaka & i have to say, you guys are alright. Good crew, attitude & banter & welcoming to visitors :thumbsu: I actually recall thinking the same when checking in on CCJ.

Decided to go do the same on the Collingwood board. Well, lets just say they may have won the match, but they did not win my heart like you guys did. Check out this numero uno flog burger. Good grief. In saying that, i know we got more than a few of those on our Forum too....:grimacing:

1718543968707.png

Attachments

• 1718543877907.png
    1718543877907.png
    16 KB · Views: 57
Loss would be a tad easier to stomach if even 20% of pies fans could admit they got out of gaol (for most of them probably the second time that's happened) today, and got absolutely dick ridden by the umps for a half.

But it's all "**** this teams so good" "54 pts, no problem!", "This team never gives up".

Completely blind to what every neutral could see.

Loss would be a tad easier to stomach if even 20% of pies fans could admit they got out of gaol (for most of them probably the second time that's happened) today, and got absolutely dick ridden by the umps for a half.

But it's all "**** this teams so good" "54 pts, no problem!", "This team never gives up".

Completely blind to what every neutral could see.
winners are grinners. We would be the same. It will turn. I hope COLA murders them in the finals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

winners are grinners. We would be the same. It will turn. I hope COLA murders them in the finals.
Celebrating a win and realising you got kissed on the dick are not mutually exclusive.

Plenty of umpiring talk, and rightly so, but one that really irked me, and i haven't seen mentioned yet, LDU takes posession, gets tackled immediately and ridden into the turf, but gets off a handball, whistle blows, i think in the back for sure, but holding the ball, ffs, LDU's expression said it all.

Did Clarko do something this week that they can try and turn into scandal?
"Clarkson was heard uttering a string of expletives with seconds to go in the game. As such we have enforced his 2 game suspended ban from his prior indiscretion and he will be fined 100k".

The notion that, somehow, Corr, Lmac, Fisher and Tucker were responsible for us losing today is so wrongheaded that I cannot believe I have to write it here. I am 10,000% certain that Clarko doesn’t believe that. For the last few weeks (and today) Corr has been playing like a schoolmaster in our defence. He’s been massive. LMac and Fisher were very good today. Tucker is underwhelming, I agree. I cursed Fisher at the time he messed up the kick-in. Pure and simple, our team couldn’t keep it going for long enough and suffered from blatant non-decisions by the umpires. The turning point was the 50 metre penalty against Powell late in the third. We had them on toast in that play and should have scored instead of conceding. That gave Collingwood the sniff they needed. They’ve come from 5 goals behind at 3 quarter time before. That was the moment I knew we’d lose. I can’t say a bad word against any of our players today - except, maybe, Stevo who was totally ineffective when he came on. He gave us nothing. He’s not the type of player you want to be bringing on when you’re trying to shore things up, unfortunately. The best news is, we’re back as a competitive unit.
The 50m penalty from Powell was after Fisher tried to dance around instead of kicking it and he got caught.

He had a bad day today. Most of the older guys have been playing better lately but most of them weren't very good in the 2nd half today.

They are as or more unreliable than our young players. That is the problem. Other young sides don't lose 50 point leads because they have reliable experienced players to steady the ship.

When the going gets tough our experienced players get rattled and look at the 19 year olds and ask for help.

(excluding Simpkin)

Yeah good on you. Well played. :mad:
And just to add to that, imagine if we had have had some of those howlers paid to us, not to mention an extra 10 frees instead of them. How much would we have won by?

Think about that instead of just making some knee jerk negative response.

That was what I read on Footywire, 10 frees each up until half time, to then end up 24 to 14 or an astonishing extra 10 frees to the Pies after half time.

Only the best of football teams will overcome that sort of free kick differential in a half of football.

I watch a lot of games of football, probably 5 to 7 every week, maybe every game sometimes, and increasingly I have been noticing, particularly in first halves, where one team receives maybe 5 to 8 extra frees on their opposition, they generally have built a decent lead by the main break. (In Darwin recently the GC versus Geelong free kick count was 17 to 3 in favour of the GC at half time. Is that really a true indication of how many frees should have been paid or not paid???)

Last night, Adelaide led by not enough at half time, having enjoyed a clear advantage free kick wise in the first half. Sydney, who look to be the team to beat for the flag, had a wonderful second half both in terms of scoring and also in free kicks, ending ip winning the overall free kick count 24 to 22. There was a period in that second half where the Adelaide supporters were raging about how many soft frees were going to Sydney and I don't blame them. And I was barracking for the Swans, because my late brother was an old South Melbourne supporter. How he would have loved seeing this bunch of Swans play.

But last nights game was a pretty pale reflection, in my opinion, of the impact that bad umpiring decisions are having on the game.

I do not believe that there is/was a conspiracy at the AFL to ensure certain results are achieved. If there is/was, then by now someone would have come out and exposed it, because eventually corruption does get exposed and imagine what would happen to any sporting competition that actually directed umpires/referees to manipulate outcomes.

Instead, I firmly believe that the root problem is that the umpires are in the main, grossly incompetent. many of them are not good enough to be able to make consistently good judgements and their incompetence is unfairly manipulating the outcome of far too many games.

Yes, there are people who will say that it is a tough gig being an umpire, the game is too fast nowadays, there are too many grey areas in the rules. Of course there is, but that should not be an out for them. They do get paid, though probably not enough and this is something that the AFL can control, by making them full time, making it as much of a profession as the players and paid at the same level as the players.

Add to this the terribly unfair advantage given to one side over another when a 50 metre penalty is paid or in todays case also not paid. 50 metres is further than some players can kick and when one is paid to any side, it is effectively the equivalent of an extra possession, taken in a much better position, to impact on the outcome of the game. And especially so when the recipient of the 50, is moved from a position outside goal range, to within easy scoring range. My memory escapes me as to how many of those the Pies might have benefited from today in that last quarter, but just one less free and one less 50 metre penalty leading to a goal, would have meant we won that game.

The North Melbourne Football Club deserved to win that game today. One less bad decision, or one less 50 metre penalty leading to a goal to the Pies would have delivered us that win. I don't care what anyone else says, the upside for our club from a win today, would have been huge, but instead it is, at the least in the short term very demoralising, especially for the players.

Conversely, that win today to the Pies, has in my opinion, given them a significant leg up in the race for the flag. Without that umpiring today, they would be lower placed on the ladder and other teams would be higher.,

It is in opinion totally unacceptable that incompetent umpiring is having such a huge influence on the outcomes of too many games.

Good write up. As someone who claims to watch a lot of footy and clearly pays attention to the umpiring, do you have an opinion on what you see in Richmond games? I cannot claim to watch many Nth games sorry, but whenever i watch other teams games, especially Geelong, Carlton, Collingwood, Sydney - i can't believe i am watching the same sport. The difference in the style of umpiring is beyond ridiculous.

In 2021-22 the amount of 50's Richmond gave away was insane . The AFL actually dont track 50's so i cant get an official number, but we had 8 in a match against carlton, all of them for onfield "admin" errors like moving off the mark, vaguely touching the player after the mark etc. none of them were for unsportsman behaviour etc. We had a minimum of 3 each week, but more than a few times over 5.

My mate who is a Crows supporter feels like they get a pretty horrendous run of calls & feels its all a bit rigged as well. But its nothing compared to literally every Richmond supporter i know. Its just common knowledge between us that the AFL said "no fun for you" after the club behaved poorly during the COVID hub. I agree, the club did act in an unacceptable way at a time when people were losing their jobs - but you can't punish a fanbase for 4 YEARS over it . Even this year we have seen it and we are legit terrible, we don't need the umpiring to be losing games

You say to have 10 less free's in a game is impossible to overcome - Richmond averages over 5.5 less PER GAMES. That's an AVERAGE. Compare that to the Suns who average +4.2 - it means the difference between Richmond & Gold Coast on AVERAGE is 10 per game.

And to make this even more confusing. The guy who coached the style that was responsible for our unfortunate umpiring differential..... is now the guy umpiring the team with the TOP umpiring differential, playing a very very similar game style. Richmond has maintained or increased these averages every year since their 2020 Flag ( 2021-2023 -4pg / 2024 -5.5pg). During that period we have had 3 coaches. Irrelevant of the game style we play based on each coach, the FK-Diff maintains, yet Dimma in Gold Coast currently enjoys the highest FK-DIFF in his entire coaching career....

Seeing things like today makes it all feel like they have lost track of the need to keep up perception while doing all this bullshit. Its like after they overtunred that goal at the Gabba in 2021, they have just gotten more and more openly brazen to basically just do whatever is required to get result they think is best for the league. Be it to benefit a season narrative, ensure a team is taken down a peg or 2, or, ensuring spreads and gambling results to please major sponsors - its becoming quite clear they have zero ****s in even hiding what they are doing. Black mirror stuff

Last edited:
"Clarkson was heard uttering a string of expletives with seconds to go in the game. As such we have enforced his 2 game suspended ban from his prior indiscretion and he will be fined 100k".
"Clarkson must coach the season out from a bunker under AFL headquarters, watching on a 34cm TV, in black and white and on a 2 minute delay."

Remove this Banner Ad

Back