Autopsy Pain v Godeez

Remove this Banner Ad

The worst part about Steven May staging, is that everyone at the ground - including players, supporters of both sides and the commentators, all saw it as holding the ball.
Everyone except for the f***ing umpire.

They sent out a press release at the start of the f***ing bye rounds, stating a change in interpretations on holding the ball, and by the end of the bye rounds we’re back to where we f***ing started. Nothing has changed in 3 weeks.

The fact that Ford spun May twice before a whistle was called is why this league is a joke.
Laura Kane and Stephen McBurney are running a clown show.

But it’s alright. We’ve sent a clear message and she’ll be right because we can slap on a smile and a great attitude on video for the socials on Monday.
Basketcase.

This is all a basketcase.

Too many posts here to read through and its probably been mentioned but what a dog act on the part of Stephen May to fake that head knock and suck the umpire in.

The umpire was incompetent in the first place that he had not already blown the whistle, called holding the ball and a free to Eddie Ford. That incident alone might have cost us the game.

Anyway the bit I really wanted to post here is that once again, Will Schofield showed how good a commentator he is. His call on the incident was to say that when players put their hands up to to their head in a tackling incident, they should have to go off the ground and go through the mandatory concussion protocols. That would fix that form of staging in a heartbeat.

Sincere apologies to anyone else who has already posted this here.
I’ve heard a few people suggest this. It would mean that if a player was actually hit in the head - like Arch near the end - they would be out of the game for an enforced 20 minutes. That would in turn lead to more players being deliberately hit to remove threats. Remember the umpire at the time thought it was an actual head knock. It only works if there is an immediate independent assessment that can say for sure if the player staged, and I doubt that’s possible.

I’ve heard a few people suggest this. It would mean that if a player was actually hit in the head - like Arch near the end - they would be out of the game for an enforced 20 minutes. That would in turn lead to more players being deliberately hit to remove threats. Remember the umpire at the time thought it was an actual head knock. It only works if there is an immediate independent assessment that can say for sure if the player staged, and I doubt that’s possible.
Agree. Players will game the system to exploit the loopholes to their advantage. Like players faking a head knock to draw a free kick. May's not the only one to do this.

It should be an automatic 1 game suspension for players found guilty of simulation. That would be the biggest deterrent rather than some paltry fine.

Funny on Stephen May, he doesnt need this c22p, he was pantsing Larkey. Anyway when I got home from the footy and heard talk about him staging I thought it was for diving for a push in the back free that he did at punt road end in either 2nd or last qtr. Cant remember which but happened in front of me and I thought that was what the headlines were about. So serial offender in one game.

It would only apply when a player stages for a free after being tackled to the ground. I don't think there are too many players nowadays who deliberately hit other players in the head, because there are so many cameras and so many different angles that the MRP can look at an incident in a marking contest.

These are the most likely sources of a deliberate hit to the head, which would then lead to a suspension. The old days of an "ear massage", as funny as we might have once thought, are thankfully well and truly over.

We should not rule out getting rid of the acts of cheats, which is what May is, just because there might be other issues arise.

Also, as I understand it; and I may well be wrong on this; but doesn't the team doctor have to go out and assess any such head hit where the player stays down? The fact that May got straight up after the free was paid, gave him away.

Concussion is a huge issue in our game at the present and players faking head hits is just totally unacceptable. If players think this is a way to get an unfair advantage, then there has to be some sort of sanction.

At the very least in situations like this, he should have been immediately sent off the ground to have some concussioin assessment, before he returned to the game.

It would only apply when a player stages for a free after being tackled to the ground. I don't think there are too many players nowadays who deliberately hit other players in the head, because there are so many cameras and so many different angles that the MRP can look at an incident in a marking contest.

These are the most likely sources of a deliberate hit to the head, which would then lead to a suspension. The old days of an "ear massage", as funny as we might have once thought, are thankfully well and truly over.

We should not rule out getting rid of the acts of cheats, which is what May is, just because there might be other issues arise.

Also, as I understand it; and I may well be wrong on this; but doesn't the team doctor have to go out and assess any such head hit where the player stays down? The fact that May got straight up after the free was paid, gave him away.

Concussion is a huge issue in our game at the present and players faking head hits is just totally unacceptable. If players think this is a way to get an unfair advantage, then there has to be some sort of sanction.

At the very least in situations like this, he should have been immediately sent off the ground to have some concussioin assessment, before he returned to the game.
Either way, if that’s the rule, we lose Arch for the last eight minutes of the game or whatever it was. Not a good idea.

Players will always try to ‘get away with it’. It sucks when it goes against you as it did with the May incident but we also have a serial offender. Hopefully our boy Larkey can ‘get away with it’ in 5 years time in the GF, 20 metres out, directly in front, 3 points down 30 seconds left…..

Either way, if that’s the rule, we lose Arch for the last eight minutes of the game or whatever it was. Not a good idea.

I rarely, well never, argue with you H2H, but the real issue that we are talking about here is concussion.

Concussions are increasingly a threat to our game. Already a number of players have retired prematurely this year alone.

If I am not mistaken there are a number of retired players who are part of a Class action against the AFL, for ongoing concussion symptoms from their careers.

If we had lost Arch for those last few minutes, because of a genuine hit to his head, then sobeit. His long term health is far more important than 8 minutes lost in a game. I don't like it, but a lifetime is a long time compared to 8 minutes.

Hence, in my opinion, the game has to come down hard on players, faking one of the injuries, that is known to lead to concussions. May's fine was completely inadequate. At the very least a week off to get over his "concussion symptoms" as a result of deliberately clutching at his head.

It’s really great watching our structure, shape and gameplan develop in front of our eyes. The differences to earlier in the season couldn’t be more stark. The whole team is starting to move in unison now. Also, we get to see what happens when we lose that shape and movement for brief periods. It was evident in the first quarter on Saturday night when the Demons were cruising down the right flank unencumbered. It’s why we fell four goals behind even though we were very competitive overall. Interestingly, (I could be wrong here), teams always seem to be able to exploit the right flank against us, more-so than the left. That could just be my imagination, though. Anyway, we’ve closed down that avenue, by and large, now.

So today I wandered into the local store run by the doomsaying GoDees fans I’ve mentioned.

“Were you a tad nervous as we stormed home?” I asked.

“Bloody hell, those umpires were atrocious. They may as well have been wearing North jumpers. You guys got everything, 50/50’s, the lot. It was a bloody disgrace. I was waiting for one of them to blow the whistle as you headed forward in the finish and end up taking the shot from the goal line on your behalf. Talk about an armchair ride!” He replied.

I pictured him leading the MCC Boo Boys throughout the final quarter North charge.

He even justified the dangerous tackle decision awarded to May ffs. “From the view the umpire had it must have looked dangerous!”

“Mate, f’ off” I replied with a smile, “congrats on the win!”

I actually thought he’d be more balanced and praise our youngsters or whatever but nup.

They’re a different breed, especially those who couldn’t lie their way to WA as our state was in lockdown to see the GF win.

So today I wandered into the local store run by the doomsaying GoDees fans I’ve mentioned.

“Bloody hell, those umpires were atrocious. They may as well have been wearing North jumpers. You guys got everything, 50/50’s, the lot. It was a bloody disgrace. I was waiting for one of them to blow the whistle as you headed forward in the finish and end up taking the shot from the goal line on your behalf. Talk about an armchair ride!” He replied.

I pictured him leading the MCC Boo Boys throughout the final quarter North charge.

He even justified the dangerous tackle decision awarded to May ffs. “From the view the umpire had it must have looked dangerous!”

I actually thought he’d be more balanced and praise our youngsters or whatever but nup.

They’re a different breed, especially those who couldn’t lie their way to WA as our state was in lockdown to see the GF win.
🤣 I reckon I might have been standing beside him at the ‘G! However, it just goes to show how absolutely impossible it is for umpires to ever satisfy us punters. North supporters firmly believe we were robbed by the umpires, AFL and the media every week. On the other hand, opposition supporters feel the exact opposite. Go figure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

North got gifted two goals in the run home. I’m not sorry.

Yeah but that's the rule. Soft or not. Doesn't make it a "gift".

But it’s not. Should have reset the mark.

A 50m penalty will no longer be paid if a player fakes a handball while behind the mark, drawing their opponent off their position.

Edit. But at the time I was screaming for it :sternlook

Remove this Banner Ad

Back