Autopsy Autopsy vs Freo - 2-0 baby

Remove this Banner Ad

Feels like we’ve actually got 18 players on the park now, rather than 16 it has felt like the last few years, where we were constantly outnumbered and got absolutely spanked on the spread.

Also great to see LMac run to the all Freo / umpire discussion at the end there. Needed some NM representation, and stoked to see LDU with enough nous to get in there with the Captain also.

Feels like we’ve actually got 18 players on the park now, rather than 16 it has felt like the last few years, where we were constantly outnumbered and got absolutely spanked on the spread.

Also great to see LMac run to the all Freo / umpire discussion at the end there. Needed some NM representation, and stoked to see LDU with enough nous to get in there with the Captain also.
Yes noticed that. The team is maturing.

Even in retirement, this bloke still wears his heart on his sleeve. When our time comes again and it surely will and we’re holding that cup aloft, this guy is the one player I wished had have had the premiership experience….very much misunderstood by non North people, absolute North legend in my eyes!

I mean yeah, I think plenty of people do think that. He hasn’t played 5 games yet. We’re due another KPP player either way given the age of a couple but it is way too early to be worrying about Comben.

I'm not so much worried by Comben as opposed to thinking forward, you don't want to realise you have key forward issues when your side is ready to contend, because it can take some time to develop one and can be hard to trade for one, ie Collingwood... might have pinched a flag if they had a real key forward last year.

Even in retirement, this bloke still wears his heart on his sleeve. When our time comes again and it surely will and we’re holding that cup aloft, this guy is the one player I wished had have had the premiership experience….very much misunderstood by non North people, absolute North legend in my eyes!

Always was and always will be a legend in my eyes and I'd love for the club to get him involved with the club in some form.

3. LDU.
2.Logie Bear.
1.Goldy.

Logie was huge considering he was outsized all night and under constant pressure.

Chom gave 100% but boy he gives away too many frees from over exuberance. Will trust the coaches to reign him in just a bit.

Sent from my CPH2197 using Tapatalk
It’s the white line fever, it’s been a long time since we’ve seen it this prominent and hard to coach it out of a player.
I’m hoping that he realises that he’s going to be given plenty of opportunity and that he can pull back and chill slightly. His ferocious attack on the player. No footy sees him go to ground a lot, I hope he realises how much wasted energy he’s using dragging his big frame up off the ground time and time again.

Agree. Said earlier that Cam for mine had the biggest impact for us in the centre square
It’s like we are getting about 300% out of him compared to previous years when he has been isolated in the forward line without opportunities. He contributes in the middle and is still a dangerous option when forward. Great coaching.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Defensive unit is working well together but one issue we have is everyone in the vicinity going up - at least one has to stay down.
Bergman is one gusty campaigner and is as calm as sheez down there - skills are pretty good. Has a mean ass left hand handball
Taylor needs to play forward - it’s the position he looked good early in his career and during juniors.
Cam Z is a clearance machine and has really started to use a bit of finesse by hitting up the free man.
Goldy beat both the rucks - maybe not at taps but his bullocking work , smart player

Longer analysis post, I'll get to individual players later.

Game plan and structure
Huge, humongous, absolutely massive tick.

Defensive setup - looks great. Particularly when we are defending a kick in, and particularly early in matches we are expending very little effort in making it hard for them to move the ball, and their resulting slow movement allows us to roll it down the ground and maintain shape. As the game opens up it fades a bit, but it's so good to see clearly what we are trying to do.

One of the commentators, either Mooney or Pav, were super impressed with this and lamented that it looks like an updated version of the cluster that cost them a premiership.

We do seem to allow them an easy outnumber if they manage to get it out the back, but I suspect it's by design. It wouldn't surprise me if Clarko ran the numbers and realised it was useless trying to haul arse once they break the zone (almost guaranteed score regardless) and the best defence is to focus more energy on how many times they do that rather than expending all your tickets on trying to cover the few times they do.
The game of Corr cannot be underestimated. 22 touches, 10 marks, 3 tackles. Our defensive set up is just so much better with him down there. Anyone suggesting Bon should have stayed in ahead of him can't be serious.

The AFL are saying that the umpires heard the siren a milisecond BEFORE the ball bounced out via their ear pieces. So the call was correct...l want one of those earpieces...:laughv1::laughv1::laughv1:

Where the ball is doesn't really matter, the umpire has to blow out of bounds first, before the siren, before the umpire can pay a free kick and that didn't occur.

That being said, I wouldn't have been surprised if they paid that, it would have been against the Eagles.

I don’t think I want hally back in the seniors after todays performance in the VFL

I was at Arden Street today and I spent the whole day giving out about Hall and Boner. On the way home, I realised Azza had 38 touches. So, I immediately bought into the “worst 38 disposal game in history” bulldust. Then, I thought back to the game and remembered a Port Melbourne fan asking who number 43 was because he was a great player, albeit “a little skittish”. Also, I remembered Azza pumping up the team as he was leaving the field for a rest. I realised that, in general, I haven’t got a clue. However, I will say that Hall demands the ball so much that he would upset the balance of the team right now, if he were to come in. We tend to expect absolute perfection from certain players, like Hall. Hell, LDU was run down a few times last night. When that happens to Hall, we want to lynch him.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Where the ball is doesn't really matter, the umpire has to blow out of bounds first, before the siren, before the umpire can pay a free kick and that didn't occur.

That being said, I wouldn't have been surprised if they paid that, it would have been against the Eagles.
that's right. Even if the ump has watched the play and alreasdy decided it was deliberate, its not oob till the boundary ump signals it.

Alot of people don't understand that deliberate oob doesn't happen when the players kicks or handballs the nball. It happens whenthe ball crosses the line. before that its just a ball in play. Then it has be called OOB and the umpire has to make a decision about the events that led to the oob and then call a free or throw it in.

So if the siren goes before the umpire signals oob then the ball is still in play when the siren sounds.

Its like standing the mark - you can't react when the player plays on, you have to wait till the ump says "Play on."

A year is a long time in footy. Last time we played them we were physically abused in the middle and we had to touch on the doll where they hurt us.

Game Last time (clearances): 47
Brayshaw 10
Mundy 8
Serong 6
Aish 5
Darcy 4
Brodie 4
Switowski 3
Erasmus 3
O'Driscoll 2
Ryan and Clark 1

vs

North: 29
JHF 7
Simpkin 5
Thomas 4
Goldstein 4
Stephenson 2
Perez 2
Anderson 2
LDU, Greenwood and McKay 1

This time: 30
Brodie 5
Serong 4
O'Meara 4
Brayshaw 4
Hughes 3
Darcy 3
Aish 3
Young, Switowski, Pearce and Frederick 1

North: 45
LDU 11
Zurhaar 6
Cunners 6
Simpkin 4
Shiels 4
Goldy 3
Stephenson 2
Scott 2
Powell 2
Howe 2
Sheezel, Taylor and Greenwood 1

A comment Dermie made where he called LDU strong at the contest and "bench-pressed" his opponent off the ball before clearing it. We just seem to have a more physical midfield now, even Shiels, not a prolific ball accumulator but his ability to run, tackle and pressure on the wing something we have sorely missed since we moved on Dumont. Even guys like Powell, he has put on some muscle and isn't being pushed around now.

it is a huge turnaround.

The game of Corr cannot be underestimated. 22 touches, 10 marks, 3 tackles. Our defensive set up is just so much better with him down there. Anyone suggesting Bon should have stayed in ahead of him can't be serious.
He looked different last night. Stable, predictable, competative but above all, dependable.

Is it just me, or is this team far better than the league gives it credit for? I think we're in for a few surprises this year like the last 2 weeks, we got some genuine A grade talent with depth.
Absolutely. Last week commentators discovered that LDU and Larkey play for us. And Sheezel, of course.

Who know who they'll discover this week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Autopsy vs Freo - 2-0 baby

Remove this Banner Ad

Back