Autopsy Autopsy vs Richmond - narrow win gives NMFC its third win of the season

Remove this Banner Ad

Just finished watching replay:

Boy we were lucky to win that game tiggas kicked at least 6 points that should’ve been goals
It’s not that simple though. They had most of those shots in the last quarter where we couldn’t manage to exit their backline.

If they’d kicked one of them straight we’d have restarted in the centre, where we were dominant. I don’t think they’d have ended up with the rest of the shots.

The Tigers did have their chances. However, watching the reply, it’s clear that our guys never stopped running and pressuring in the last quarter. This ensured that Richmond were rushing a lot of their kicks for goal. Earlier in the season, they would have strolled in.
Yes I agree that was the other standout we didn’t give in 👍

It’s not that simple though. They had most of those shots in the last quarter where we couldn’t manage to exit their backline.

If they’d kicked one of them straight we’d have restarted in the centre, where we were dominant. I don’t think they’d have ended up with the rest of the shots.
I reckon there were a few in the first half but I must admit I think you’re right about the restart that could have possibly played into our favour, however I can wait for our skills to improve and then we will start to dominate games 👍

Good work on warding off the dark side👍👍
Have you been to any AFLW games with your girls? Could be just the tonic if the Dogs game doesn’t go well.
Thanks, the dark side sure is persistent! That’s a great suggestion. I had tix to take them to last years GF but we couldn’t get there in the end and they were pretty disappointed. Round 2 at Arden St against the Cats might be the go!

Yes I agree that was the other standout we didn’t give in 👍
Not just that, it's good to see we are learning how to win again, and are now able to win games where we haven't played so well, and after a tardy start. We've played better recently and lost (ie Collingwood and Carlton games) but learning how to win is a very underated skill.

Last edited:
Agree with most of what you say except..

Maybe it's because I'm having to watch the game in delayed slices but RHJ has been nowhere near as bad to my eyes as has been made out.

He's far from a reliable AFL player but he does a few thIngs that show footy IQ imo.
True, and at least a couple of times he made good position to create a scoring option even though he wasn't used. Some people thrive on having a whipping boy I suppose.

Well Jack Mahony isn’t on the list so they had to find another one.

A big part of the reason we're so often losing the i50 count and something we must get better at.

A big part of the reason we're so often losing the i50 count and something we must get better at.
I think this is the reason why we’ve been playing midfielders and forwards in our backline for the second half of the year - McKercher, Fisher, Sleevo. Rebound at all costs. It works some of the time but there are still so many skill errors.

It was a game played in spurts where either team had dominant periods, but North bias notwithstanding, I thought when we were on, we showed more class and more quality.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks, the dark side sure is persistent! That’s a great suggestion. I had tix to take them to last years GF but we couldn’t get there in the end and they were pretty disappointed. Round 2 at Arden St against the Cats might be the go!
You’ll never look back - it’s a lovely day out!

It was a game played in spurts where either team had dominant periods, but North bias notwithstanding, I thought when we were on, we showed more class and more quality.

Last quarter was evidence enough of that, I think. Couldn't get it out of our backline for the life of us, giving them a million shots at goal - all missed. When we do finally get out, Stevo finds Scott with a clean entry and then he goes back and seals it. All it took.

Since the bye our best (largely) has seemed equal to if not better than our opposition. The Sydney game being the obvious outlier.

Collingwood/Dees/Blues games in particular spring to mind as games we played extremely well in bursts and probably should've won if not for lack of composure. Even taking into account the massive Collingwood comeback, the opposition seem to be doing just enough to win without being spectacular. That's the next step we need to take as a team.

The most pleasing thing about this game (and in general since the bye) is the numbers running forward when we're attacking from a turnover or stoppage (even though we might make it hard for ourselves). So many unmanned players were running inside 50, and the Tigers simply couldn't go with them. That tells me we are super hungry to exploit and hurt the opposition when a mistake does come.

This is in the third quarter. The numbers running forward are extraordinary from an unexpected turnover. Richmond are completely caught out and are in deep trouble. Even if the kick is scrubby one, the numbers running forward mean there is every chance the ball is recovered and we score. Sheezel doesn't do scrubby kicks though and hit Larkey lace out. I recall so many times when we've had a huge opportunity to score and we've screwed up this exact scenario because all our forwards are too far up the ground.

1723025891030.png

Another example here. This was a slower build up but again the numbers outweigh Richmond and they are completely disorganised. This is where the game was turning and we got a little bit of breathing space.

1723026343801.png

Not long after LDU marks, Sheezel hits Teakle on his own. No one was near him. Even when he took the mark, Zurhaar was free, Scott was running forward... options everywhere. But look where the Tigers numbers are... four players on no one? Completely disorganised. How does Zurhaar get free? Work rate.

1723026757117.png

When we get a stronger connection with our forwards, it is going to be glorious. Very exciting to see it unfold.

I’m struggling to understand how we can have over 60 more kicks than the opposition and contrive to lose the I50 count by 16. There’s something fundamental awry.
In the last quarter Richmond had repeat inside 50s and threw everything at us.

We spent our kicks trying to clear the 50 but it kept coming back in. Tigers were absolutely desperate.

I’m struggling to understand how we can have over 60 more kicks than the opposition and contrive to lose the I50 count by 16. There’s something fundamental awry.
Mmm, not sure. The game plan is to keep possession if they can't go quick, whereas whenever Richmond had it they were trying to put speed on the ball. It is true there poor kicking cost them the game, but bad kicking for goal has been bad football for as long as the game's been played

We’re truly awful at transitioning the ball out of the back half.

Our I50’s mainly come from clearances.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Autopsy vs Richmond - narrow win gives NMFC its third win of the season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back