Ball not traded

Remove this Banner Ad

For all the press Hawthorn got

That's because (1) they _ucked Thronton over in 2007 (2) screwed the draft last year with the ROK debacle that everyone waited all week for (3) gave Port a list of untouchables without Brown's name on it, and then cried when Port contacted Brown to convince him to switch.

i ****ing hate you saints with a passion

BUT

great job fella's - you may feel like you are getting screwed - but NO ONE will try and **** with you at the traded table again.

this is exactly the same as the PORT VS Stevens situation - They lost a great players for nothing, and know they get an amazing deal for Burger!

As a Melbourne fan, I do hope that Ball leaves the Saints and joins our club. But as a football fan, well done for not accepting Collingwoods shitty offer. As roosaints said, better not to strengthen their list without strengthening yours. If anything, you may help strengthen ours but we are no threat to you blokes in the next couple of years.

Great work sainters!!!

in ross we trust.. Do not F*** with US

nowonder those magots never land big names (out of fev, ball, and jolly they only secure jolly and in my opinion he is the least use to their improvement out of the 3... we done pies u HACKS)

Melbourne has taken immediate action to recruit Saints onballer Luke Ball through the pre-season draft.

Melbourne, which will have first pick in the pre-season draft, said it had already made contact with Ball's manager. "We immediately held talks with Luke’s manager, Paul Connors, to get a better understanding of Luke’s future plans, given that we have the first selection in the pre-season draft," Melbourne list manager Tim Harrington said.

They are now saying to Ball "You are not worth pick 21 in a weak draft".

Butthe thing is...we never had pick 21, we had to trade player that we werent prepared to trade to get pick 21, i would of thought pick 28 or whatever we were offering would be better than the big fat zero you will end up gettin for him. what we were really sayin is your not worth pick 28 and a young promising player, which he probably isnt.
Ball will be a great addition to melbourne

You have to wonder how Ball feels about Collingwood right now.
They must have approached him or led him on somehow, otherwise why was he only interested in going to Collingwood. " Yes Luke you would be an assett to the club here , you would be great , yeah all going to happen Luke , look at the Lexus centre you'll love it"

Then for them not to offer better than a late second round pick

agree SS.

it's not like all of a sudden a week after a GF bally got up and said "By jove, i'd like to play for the pies", then wandered down to ross and said "hey rossy, stuck your contract" and then wandered over and tapped on mick's door and said "hey buckley i want to play for YOU".

he's been courted, promised and then royally ****ed over by the pies who, IMO, approached the table arrogantly and tried to **** us over (being not in the same stratosphere as the might pies :rolleyes: and glad to deal with them) expecting ross to say "oh yes sir mick we'll give up luke ball for pick 25 and pick 62. No sir we don't want a player either".

Another reason to hate the pies who IIRC posted a main board thread " why do people hate collingwood".

s*** like this is why people hate the pies.

From a pies supporters perspective(not the typical moron who belongs on this board- atleast I think) I reckon both clubs did what was right for their respective clubs.

I can understand why the saints would not let him go unless they thought they where going to get something better in return. A draft pick is useless to your club being smack bang on 12 oclock at the premiership clock and I can understand why they would not let him go cheaply to us when we are at about 11.50. I reckon you are better off letting him go to Melbourne for nothing and if we where in your position I would hope we would do the same.

Personally i think with what he has done about pick 25 by draft value is about right but as I said picks are not much to you guys at the moment.

I think as time settles he will realise he is much better at the saints than at the dees. I would be suprised if he did not re-sign.

Butthe thing is...we never had pick 21, we had to trade player that we werent prepared to trade to get pick 21, i would of thought pick 28 or whatever we were offering would be better than the big fat zero you will end up gettin for him. what we were really sayin is your not worth pick 28 and a young promising player, which he probably isnt.

You're not real smart, are you. Lucky for most clubs they have a brain and can get deals done by using other clubs and their players/picks.

It was pick 30 in a weak draft (not sure where you got 28 from). We used not much more (pick 48) on Brett Peake who Freo supporters don't even rate.

No wonder people won't deal with Collingwood unless they pay over the odds, like Wood at pick 14.

Dammit, now those deplorable tankers get yet another handout... Bad luck Saints, it sucks when you get screwed over by one of your best players.

If he was one of our best players, dont you think the offer would have been a fair bit higher than picks 25 & 62 ?

Ball is in our 16-25 group of players now, and that is how he is perceived by the wider football community as well.

Happy for him to move to a club like Melbourne where he can enjoy another re-building phase. If he can get a game.

Strength Through Loyalty.

Glad the club stood their ground on Ball and didn't accept a second rate offer from Collingwood. Although I guess there is now a risk of losing him through the PSD for nothing.

Hopefully he now has a change of heart and stays but it could be difficult after saying he wants out. Can't see him being in Lyon's good books after all this.

That is where you are incorrect as you should not be thinking to begin with since you obviously fail at it.

Players nominate clubs based generally on interaction and gentlemans agreements with said clubs otherwise they do what Lovett did and are shopped around to several clubs before deciding on one and a deal being made between those entities.

The home club of the player then attempt to deal with the club that the player has specified, and only that club, it is why today we were basically in meetings all day with Collingwood trying to get it done. The problem arises when said gentlemans agreements falter under "here's his worth, what can you give us? No that's not enough to get it done we want something like this..." and it goes back and forth until both sides are happy.

You were not prepared to make us happy to trade him, thus we didn't, your club and supporters have no right to moan and complain about it being our fault and not getting done because the obvious preference is that Collingwood either gave us what we wanted to the letter or an equal trade value as we would not be propping up a premiership rival for a pittance.

As such, it is preferable not to trade with Collingwood and let Ball go for nothing when we do not value draft picks in this particular draft as highly as other drafts. It was always a first round draft pick / low second (25 is not low FYI) or lesser picks and a player or a player (like Everitt or N Brown, not like O'Bree or Guy to be delisted #4) as Melbourne is not a threat in 2010 (despite with luck the possibility of them being one)

Boils down to; Prop up premiership contender for drafts picks we do not want because they say so?

Or

Leave the choice to Luke to nominate for the draft and risk being picked up by every club with picks prior to Collingwood and get no draft picks or players in return?

In the end the only loss is one player we may pick up a similar type for anyway and if Collingwood end up grabbing Ball for nothing anyway, otherwise we lose a player who wanted to leave anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As a Collingwood supporter im not to fussed about not getting Ball, but i wouldnt count us out the race yet he could nominate for the national draft and we could use pick 30 to get him. Do you guys think Melbourne will use pick 18 on Ball? and do they have any other picks in the 20's?

Ball won't be a Magpie. Melbourne have something ridiculous like 6 picks before Collingwoods first. Anyway I highly doubt he would risk entering the ND in case an interstate team picks him up. At least if he goes in to the PSD if Melbourne don't pick him up, Richmond will.

The sooking from the Pies over the joke that is their football department is delicious. :thumbsu:

And for those saying we've lost out big time. Wrong, this is a big win for the club. It sets the precedence for future trading periods. If anyone, player or team attempt to bend us over we won't take it. We're all the stronger for it.
Thank you Luke Ball, Paul Conners and Mick Malthouse. <3

Can't believe I just wasted 5 minutes of my life talking to a Collingwood supporter about football.

When he starts off with "Luke Ball would be lucky to be pick 30" I should have cut the conversation off sooner.

"We've got great kids and don't need him" followed.

Followed by "He came after us anyway".

And he was serious.

Then when challenged as to why he would think Ball would pick one club without them having courted him it was "Well it's the Bulldogs fault anyway - they wanted too much for Everitt".

Change topic - mentioned that it was good they kicked off with a decent trade early on with Josh Gibson. "Overrated". McGlynn? "No good". Kennedy? "Just a kid" Fevola? "Moron". Jolly? "Oh yeah, great player". Goldsack? "Good player". Even though you only gave him 12 games this year? "Oh yeah, how many did you give Ball?" About 20 I think. "Yeah, well he's still just an ordinary player".

I finished with "Well, it seems you don't follow the footy all that closely. Sometimes there are decent players at other clubs too" - I guess he is no different to most Collingwood trollers who have slimed over here this week.

Not as delicious as seeing you lose the grand final

Least we made it there champ, I recall kicking your asses a couple weeks before that.:thumbsu:

And now you respond with one of two things;

#1: Oh but we weren't inept and you only won because....
#2: Your entire history is a joke and this has relevance because...

Someone's a bit...

33916271.jpg

SPECIAL!:p

I thought you were going to say closet **** there for a sec, Fly.

Funny that Raines played 5 games in two years, nominated one club, and Richmond still got pick 44.

We were OK to part with pick 48 for a maligned Freo player.

The Swans gave up pick 22 even though not many clubs were chasing Seaby who played 5 games.

But Collingwood says pick 21 for Ball is unreasonable?

I thought you were going to say closet **** there for a sec, Fly.

I was thinking a cannibal actually, since the filth are feral enough to consume their own and handpass all the negative connotations associated with doing so to anyone else in the vicinity. But then decided to be tasteful and merely provided the image of a special yellow bus instead. :thumbsu:

Agree. He's been a fine servant for your club.

Would have loved him at the Pies but not to be. For 25 and 62 I can understand that, considering 62 was nothing anyway.
I thought there may have been a player we could find to go with our 30 but not to be.

Very glad the Nathan Brown trade didn't eventuate though, he's important to our backline in the future.

I presume St Kilda only wanted picks - if so, that left Collingwood hamstrung. With Carlton giving up 11 to Melbourne for McLean, relatively speaking it made the offer for Ball look pretty weak.

So it would appear the pies figured they could play "hard ball" (lol) with us and much to there and certainly Balls dismay we didn't back down.

Again showing under Ross Lyon why we are becoming a ruthless team!

Ruthless yes, but football is a business. I don't think Collingwood are lamenting anything. Collingwood lost/gained nothing out of this. St Kilda may lose a player for nothing, a real good player. I def understand not wanting to improve a competing team, absolutely. But as one guy on here said, if Collingwood get him anyway (i doubt they will), will this be ruthless or a miscalculation? Choco got bagged mercilessly when he let Stevens go for nothing.

I don't understand how a team in the Premiership window justifies screwing over another team as a higher priority than improving/cutting loses in one's own.

Say what you like about C'wood being tight but:
St Kilda's trade week: in Peake Lovett, out Ball (if he goes, prob will) XClarke
Collingwood's trade week: in Jolly, out no-one

Great work sainters!!!

in ross we trust.. Do not F*** with US

nowonder those magots never land big names (out of fev, ball, and jolly they only secure jolly and in my opinion he is the least use to their improvement out of the 3... we done pies u HACKS)

You may be right, but Jolly was C'wood's number 1 target this week, and they got him. They were also the three biggest names in the trade week, so 33% sounds like a good achievement to me'

Remove this Banner Ad

Ball not traded

Remove this Banner Ad

Back