List Mgmt. Ben Amarfio - has resigned as our CEO - Thank you Ben

Remove this Banner Ad

Hey, that was brilliant, thanks for sharing.

I'm a bit iffy about an * bloke, but he would be perfect for us right now. My take away is the length of time it's going to take to set the process and standards. Maybe 4 years before finals. We got to be patient.
No prob. I've heard all the Sacked poddies and that one on Jackson is one of the best.

Alrighty guys, I'm not going to go back on a whole rampage correcting/removing (certainly not erasing) some of the talk that has happened in here because talking stuff out generally works but let's move on from this topic of discussion. I think both sides have made their point. We're in a period of unimaginable positivity after a couple of poor years so let's take our cue from that. Nobody is counting the score, none of you have to like or agree with each other and you never win being a faceless entity assuming the mind of another faceless entity.

Responding to this post having my final thoughts on the matter was gonna be my last post in this thread until other crap popped up.

I'd be hypocritical if I said I didn't post any crap myself....trolling..etc on the subject. Unfortunately it encouraged some to play the R card because these days its the fashionable thing to do. Or even M card even when comes from the very posters who have used the most colourful, heinous language used to describe Caroline Wilson....food for thought.

Amarfio should go.

Look at his history at Austereo & CA.

Watch him talk in interviews/pressers, have a look at his linkedin profile......he has a car salesmen vibe about him.

He has brought his way of doing things and has made others feel uneasy at our club. The media knows this, have been told as much and it explains why they continue to write and ask about his eventual departure as CEO.

I've seen posters on here give him credit for us being in the black, being debt free and having major sponsors on board.

In my opinion.....the only real reason we are in the black is because the AFL continues to help us and the other clubs. Our debt was mostly eradicated before Amarfio stepped one foot into the doors of our club. I can't speak for the other sponsors but I do know that Mazda are and have always been incredibly loyal to us regardless of who our CEO, Presidents etc were at the time and so giving him credit for that extension is frivolous.

I'm not gonna repeat myself but I've posted my thoughts on tassie games and memberships. They come under his charter.

We have managed to acquire the best senior coach in the last 20 years (maybe ever) and he has made it clear that the club needs unity and everybody on board moving forward. There is stuff out there on social media stating that Clarkson wants Amarfio out. I don't know if thats true but if he wants what he has stated publicly so far.....Amarfio will have to toe the line or go.

The weights are the official weights clubs provide the AFL at the start of the season.

Some guys might be a tad higher or lower than their official weight (guys who have had long-term injuries might be way off) but for all of the players listed they are massively under where they need to be for their height and/or role.

Most of the gym work in-season is conditioning/management, you can't really bulk up during the season as it will impact performance on gameday.

You should be able to tell that these players look skinny without needing to look at stats. Players like TT and Stevo who often get hurt in physical contests is another sign they have inadequate conditioning to be able to compete physically and the opposition target them for this kind of treatment. It isn't just incompetence to leave players this vulnerable, it is cruel to allow players you care about to get flatlined physically because you have ill-prepared them for this level of competition.
They may come from the club but I am certain that some of them, at least, are wrong, and by more than a tad. If we're going by eye, some of them are below what their playing weight should be but:

Jy: don't tell me he is underdeveloped. He's never going to be a big bodied mid but I will believe he's under 80kg when he gets a scale on front of me. He is strong enough to play midfield.
Turner: is not underdeveloped either. He is light framed but has a fair amount of muscle. 71kg? No chance. He may squeak in under 80.
TT: looks to have a fair bit of development to go. I would still be amazed if he's under 80 @ 189cm.
Sleevo: obviously skinny but spent last summer in rehab after his bike stunt work so was unlikely to bulk up.
Taylor: also obviously skinny but I've mentioned before that his main athletic knock in his draft year was lack of tank and he appears to have hit that hard as he does well in the club time trials. Needs to keep adding bulk.
Bailey: skinny but has clearly added some size since drafting.

Responding to this post having my final thoughts on the matter was gonna be my last post in this thread until other crap popped up.

I'd be hypocritical if I said I didn't post any crap myself....trolling..etc on the subject. Unfortunately it encouraged some to play the R card because these days its the fashionable thing to do. Or even M card even when comes from the very posters who have used the most colourful, heinous language used to describe Caroline Wilson....food for thought.

Amarfio should go.

Look at his history at Austereo & CA.

Watch him talk in interviews/pressers, have a look at his linkedin profile......he has a car salesmen vibe about him.

He has brought his way of doing things and has made others feel uneasy at our club. The media knows this, have been told as much and it explains why they continue to write and ask about his eventual departure as CEO.

I've seen posters on here give him credit for us being in the black, being debt free and having major sponsors on board.

In my opinion.....the only real reason we are in the black is because the AFL continues to help us and the other clubs. Our debt was mostly eradicated before Amarfio stepped one foot into the doors of our club. I can't speak for the other sponsors but I do know that Mazda are and have always been incredibly loyal to us regardless of who our CEO, Presidents etc were at the time and so giving him credit for that extension is frivolous.

I'm not gonna repeat myself but I've posted my thoughts on tassie games and memberships. They come under his charter.

We have managed to acquire the best senior coach in the last 20 years (maybe ever) and he has made it clear that the club needs unity and everybody on board moving forward. There is stuff out there on social media stating that Clarkson wants Amarfio out. I don't know if thats true but if he wants what he has stated publicly so far.....Amarfio will have to toe the line or go.
Oooh there's stuff on social media!

Oh no whatever should we do?

They may come from the club but I am certain that some of them, at least, are wrong, and by more than a tad. If we're going by eye, some of them are below what their playing weight should be but:

Jy: don't tell me he is underdeveloped. He's never going to be a big bodied mid but I will believe he's under 80kg when he gets a scale on front of me. He is strong enough to play midfield.
Turner: is not underdeveloped either. He is light framed but has a fair amount of muscle. 71kg? No chance. He may squeak in under 80.
TT: looks to have a fair bit of development to go. I would still be amazed if he's under 80 @ 189cm.
Sleevo: obviously skinny but spent last summer in rehab after his bike stunt work so was unlikely to bulk up.
Taylor: also obviously skinny but I've mentioned before that his main athletic knock in his draft year was lack of tank and he appears to have hit that hard as he does well in the club time trials. Needs to keep adding bulk.
Bailey: skinny but has clearly added some size since drafting.

I am not sure what to tell you, these are the official figures, I am not sure what evidence you have to suggest they are incorrect.

This is the first mention of a Future Fund I’ve seen. Is there any other info on this anywhere?
I was interested in your question and threw a few words into Google and this popped up:

• Future Fund – Allows the club to invest with confidence in our future
Whether it's investing in a new piece of technology in the football department, strengthening our engagement with the community or building a world-class precinct, every dollar will make a difference.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am not sure what to tell you, these are the official figures, I am not sure what evidence you have to suggest they are incorrect.
I am mostly basing this on comparing them to me and some of my stick insect distance athlete friends, who are the same height as some of the players you've cited, have low body fat and clearly carry less muscle than our players and supposedly weigh the same / similar. Just doesn't make sense to me so when the numbers are cited (often) on here my bs detector goes off.

Out of interest, I just looked up Miller Bergman. Earlier this season he was listed as being in the low 60s at 188cm tall. I had read that he'd hit the weights and put on 7kg in his draft year so, if that number was correct, he was high 50-something kg early last year while playing high grade junior footy. Common sense tells me that is bs and that the number on the club web site must be his weight from early season testing in his draft year. He is now listed at 70kg so that number has been updated during the season.

Probably the one I find hardest to believe is Kanye being 71kg. He was 67kg when drafted and weighed "more than 70 kilograms" at 18 yo in his first season. (Kayne Turner: AFL's baby who knows only one way) . The club listing says he has put on 1kg max since then. Look at photos of him then and now. Does not pass the eye test.

Still haven't heard anything solid on why Ben Amarfio should be moved on? Only people's takes on silly breakfast/walked out by security anecdotes etc.

Whilst I agree Sonja has been conspicuously non-committal on the topic not sure why the suggestions such as Peter Bell (as an example) are stronger CEO candidates than Ben Amarfio?

A comment by Sam Edmund just now - 'Ben Armafio won't be there for the long-term', in a discussion about Xavier Campbell resigning as Essendon CEO and the possibility of North being interested in him.
Throw Up Stephen Colbert GIF by MOODMAN

Define "official".

Is it just based on what's on the club website? Cos I reckon updating the player weight every time they move up or down a couple of kilos is a long way down the priority list.

Still haven't heard anything solid on why Ben Amarfio should be moved on? Only people's takes on silly breakfast/walked out by security anecdotes etc.

Whilst I agree Sonja has been conspicuously non-committal on the topic not sure why the suggestions such as Peter Bell (as an example) are stronger CEO candidates than Ben Amarfio?
Bell is an executive GM managing football. Similar role to Macpherson I would have thought, if we were splitting the CEO role which has been rumoured, he would be ideal to operate side by side with Ben. But not sure how it fits with MacPherson, whether it would happen due to double up?

Bell is an executive GM managing football. Similar role to Macpherson I would have thought, if we were splitting the CEO role which has been rumoured, he would be ideal to operate side by side with Ben. But not sure how it fits with MacPherson, whether it would happen due to double up?

Exactly he aligns more with the MacPherson/Rawlings roles.

He has strong football pedigree, a law degree (for whatever that's worth) and apparently some business experience (haven't seen details) but Amarfio has a pretty strong commercial background himself in sport and broadcasting. On paper I'd have rated Amarfio stronger for a CEO role.

Yet a stink around his tenure persists so not sure if there's something we're not seeing/hearing.

Define "official".

Is it just based on what's on the club website? Cos I reckon updating the player weight every time they move up or down a couple of kilos is a long way down the priority list.
Goodness big, reckon you've made your point and so has Tas, and it is common knowledge that most footballers don't add bulk during the season. Of why I am not sure.

I do know that Powell is a stick insect in real life and knows he must bulk up. He is listed as 184cm 75KGs, I reckon that is about right.

Here is Turner in action during our rd 2 clash against WCE. Certainly a tough bugger, listed at 180cm and reckon low 70 KG's wouldn't be far off the money.

1661298534891.png

Define "official".

I said before it is their weights at the start of the season, I also said players will move up and down marginally, but they are not doing weight training to bulk up in-season. The weight is their prime weight after completing the pre-season program. The reality that most of the players I named have been around the same weight year after year doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out it is unlikely they move a whole lot in-season given they don't move a whole lot during the pre-season either when they do hit the weights.

Jy looks more ripped than he has five years ago, but ripping is not how you bulk up. Look at Olympic weight lifters, they all look like potatoes, because they aren't ripping high repetitions of low weights, they push heavy weights, it creates bulk. We aren't in the business of producing pretty boys, if you want to rip, rip in your own time. Players should be getting to AFL standard weight levels for their size and role during the pre-season.

In my opinion.....the only real reason we are in the black is because the AFL continues to help us and the other clubs.
Yes, but there's a bit of mayo on this comment.

Here is the 10 year view of AFL distributions: Funding of AFL clubs revealed in massive $100m gap from rich and poor.

5 of 18 teams have gotten more from the AFL than the Roos. Another (Melbourne) got pretty much the same.

During lockdowns, the Roos have run lean so things like Pokies (which still need rent paid but have no customers) weren't a loss for the club. At times like this we have been fortunate that our cash generating businesses were less affected by lockdowns and why running lean allows one to manage headwinds.

On the teams who received less than us, Richmond for example, we only got 20% more in distributions. I would swap their distribution for their draw year on year in a heartbeat. The end cash will be the same but the fan base will increase.

On Amarfio, sure the debt was gone (largely) when he arrived but he managed the finance during COVID lockdowns, the Arden St Redevelopment, and what will hopefully be a successful PP bid.

I don't want Amarfio being active in football related roles, but he provides important outcomes for the club as a whole.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Ben Amarfio - has resigned as our CEO - Thank you Ben

Remove this Banner Ad

Back