Ben Reid - I don't care what you say, he's a dud

Remove this Banner Ad

Are you talking about the magpie greg who won $20K on Millionaire HotSeat?

Are you seriously going to try and use Millionaire Hot Seat as a credible representation of someone's intelligence? Especially in the case of football intelligence, which is what we are discussing here.

Everyone has a 1/4 chance when you step up to the plate in that show anyway :thumbsu: Those chances increase too if you have time to sit and home and research what Brad Pitt's kids names are or if Bert Newton has worked on 40 or 50 shows in his lifetime.

Congratulations to him though, I had no idea. Doesn't change the fact that his/your football knowledge is extremely limited.

I'd give him a bit more time at this point but I'd also be scouring the draft pool for a tall to replace him if he doesn't a fair bit more by the end of the year.

He wasnt quite touched up on Saturday but id much rather N Brown in the team than Reid, Brown looks much more assured in the games ive seen from him at AFL level.

Was one of few to win their position for us. His opponent only had a couple of touches and one goal. That one goal came from a bullet past in the perfect spot to reward his lead, yet Reid showed excellent closing speed and missed the spoil by centimetres. Is exactly the sort of defender we need, give him time and experience and he'll be a rock for us.
The promlem with giving him games for experience is that we are in a position to push for the flag and i'm affraid it might cost us a top 4 spot by doing this as he is not up to it yet.

The promlem with giving him games for experience is that we are in a position to push for the flag and i'm affraid it might cost us a top 4 spot by doing this as he is not up to it yet.

You could well be right, but do we really have a better option at this stage? He by no means let us down against the Demons, he was our best defender in terms of actual defending. He didn't seem overwhelmed by the pressure and showed composure with the ball. He is big enough and athletic enough to go with certain forwards who have torn us apart due to lack of matchup in the past. It's not just about developing him, it's about the necessity of having a defender like him in the side. We can try him on Riewoldt, it could be the making of him. It certainly worked with Browny on Pavlich, though he has arguably gone backwards since.

You could well be right, but do we really have a better option at this stage? He by no means let us down against the Demons, he was our best defender in terms of actual defending. He didn't seem overwhelmed by the pressure and showed composure with the ball. He is big enough and athletic enough to go with certain forwards who have torn us apart due to lack of matchup in the past. It's not just about developing him, it's about the necessity of having a defender like him in the side. We can try him on Riewoldt, it could be the making of him. It certainly worked with Browny on Pavlich, though he has arguably gone backwards since.
Play him on Reiwoldt and it will be over by half time. I don't think their will be a spot for him againts St Kilda even if Presti does'nt come up.

As I have maintained from Day 1, Ben Reid is a wasted first round draft pick.

It is his fourth season and he has never shown even a scintilla of improvement in any game he has had in the Seniors. Not even a flicker.

His 20 metre turnover pass in the first quarter in front of the MCC stand under no pressure was woeful and indicative of his lack of talent.

Nathan Brown and Ben Reid = opportunity lost.

Some posters on here worship so much they cant see the forest from the Reids.

I am wondering whether I was at the same game as some of you were. Have another look at the replay - Shaw and Maxwell had a few heated words to say to Reid. He was out in space with no opponent on many occasion. Some of of you are referring to his age - what about Nason and Silvagni? First year players at a new club. Not enough to be athletic, you also need something between the ears. reminds me very much of another Ben - Kinnear. When Johnno went off, we virtually were reduced to our back four not five. It is not enough to cover your man, but also to help out others. Reid will not make it but then again if Malthouse likes you, well that is another matter. I too would prefer Brown as he at least has some hardness at the ball.

Yeah quite an average to poor footballer.

Aside from size, I'm not sure what else he has.

Footy brain? nope
Elite skills? nope
Pace? nope
Nice kick? nope
Ability to read the game? nope

So yeah, not sure how he gets a game.

Funny the way luck goes isn't it.

Looking back at the 06 super draft,we were one possie way from snaring
the superstar Joel Selwood.
iF Port Adelaide picked a kpp player and not Boak,Geelong would have surely picked up Boak and we would have had Selwood,but instead we eneded up with BEN REID !

I too am not convined he is the answer down back.He is just too awkward.He may become a better half back flanker ,he is anot a kp backman i'm afraid.

He is still young and tall so who knows ?
He has been at the club for 4 years though

He's easily a kp player. He'll play against the saints. He'll get a run on reiwolt. He'll beat him in the air and provide run and his booming 50m pin point passes out of defence. This time next week there will be a thread speaking Ben Reid as the 2nd coming of Christ. Bookmark it

He's easily a kp player. He'll play against the saints. He'll get a run on reiwolt. He'll beat him in the air and provide run and his booming 50m pin point passes out of defence. This time next week there will be a thread speaking Ben Reid as the 2nd coming of Christ. Bookmark it
Lol.

He's a good talented kid, but he will not beat Riewoldt..

Should have made a ban bet and given yourself a holiday.

If Ben Reid goes to Reiwoldt on Friday, Reiwoldt will kick 15 goals.

Or he could end up Goalless! Ben Reid could kick 2 goals straight, have 20+ touches, 15 scoring involvments and 4 goal assists. Reid could cement a spot at chb. Top 5 in the best and fairest and win the rising star...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't know if he will beat roo I would think it unlikely though, Reid is properly the best match up in terms of his agility and running capacity, but he is way to raw and would likely as not be beaten in every contests. But I suppose do the pies really have anyone who can match up on roo at all, presti hasn't got the tank to keep up with him, brown is not good enough. The only options who match up on roo physically are Reid and maybe harry. I wouldn't expect Reid to start on roo but if roo starts to tear us apart then I wouldn't be surprised if Reid is giving a go on him, but in terms of stopping him I hope you are right but Reid lacks the experience.

Or he could end up Goalless! Ben Reid could kick 2 goals straight, have 20+ touches, 15 scoring involvments and 4 goal assists. Reid could cement a spot at chb. Top 5 in the best and fairest and win the rising star...

i'm with you. throw the riewoldt challenge down to reid. he is mobile enough to go with him and has the fitness to run with him all night. reid has shown enough to suggest he can be a very good player for the club over a period of time but he doesn't appear to have the self confidence yet to really make his mark. a breakout game on riewoldt is the sort of performance that could set up his year

Fk i hope your right

My scenario has a very good chance of happening.

Your situation relies on divine intervention.

In the last quarter he had a shit load of pressure on him 1v1 with his opponent on the lead.

Did very well to not give away a free kick.

He also saved us one other time with a good spoil.

Thought he was the most solid I've seen him in his shot career.

You're quick to write him off ;)

So I watched the replay earlier, and I just want to know....what did he do wrong?

So I watched the replay earlier, and I just want to know....what did he do wrong?

Made a crucial spoil in the dying seconds in a 2 on 1 against us, which led to the spillage to Daisy, who had no option but to kick down field while under pressure.

I'm really hoping we keep playing him now and let him get comfortable.

It just keeps ringing in my ears, when KP defenders or forwards finlaly start hitting their straps. No until ages 23/24.

Remember when a young Mal Michael got traded. I think he conceded about 7 goals to Tony Lockett. In the next year or 2 became a cornerstone of the Lions backline. Lake, Scarlett & Glass all didn't become anything near to what they are now until they were 23/24, and these guys are the best in the comp.

All Reid needs to do at the moment is beat his opponent or draw even.

When he has 25-30 games behind him, then we can expect him to have an influence on the contest.

His game full of good signs.

Looking back over the responses...consensus is he was good enough on the day, has not had enough time to make any damning calls for his head and the OP does not care anyway.

Go Ben. You have our support.:thumbsu:

All Reid needs to do at the moment is beat his opponent or draw even.

When he has 25-30 games behind him, then we can expect him to have an influence on the contest.

His game full of good signs.

I agree on both your last 2 posts.

I too watched the reply and thought he did well and did not see any major errors in his game.

He will improve out of sight once confidence becomes a factor and this will happen quickly if confidence is shown in him by MM and his team mates.

He may not hold a KP down all year but if he can get a dozen games or more in then you never know what he might turn into

Remove this Banner Ad

Ben Reid - I don't care what you say, he's a dud

Remove this Banner Ad

Back