Mar 31, 2004
Kizmiaz
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
BOMBERS & Newton Heath!
Bendigo coach shifts
21 September 2004 Herald Sun

PETER Banfield has quit as Bendigo Bombers coach after a board decision to have the role based in Bendigo.

Despite wanting to continue as coach, Melbourne-based Banfield told the Bombers he was not prepared to move to Bendigo.

Banfield, who coached Bendigo in the first two years of its alignment with Essendon, was the first coach to take the club to a VFL final.

"I said I wanted to coach, but the board sat down and made a decision that the coach had to live in Bendigo next year," Banfield said.

"It's not something that I was prepared to do.

"I'm really disappointed that I'm not coaching there again next year."

Banfield said he would put his name into the mix for vacant VFL coaching positions.

Bombers' general manager Paul Barnard said the club's bid to field a reserves team next season was behind the directive to have a Bendigo-based coach.

"Given that we're bringing a reserves team into the competition, hopefully next year, there's going to be greater emphasis on development," he said.

"We think the coach of the Bendigo Bombers needed to be based here."

Barnard said the Bombers had already started the search for a high-profile name to fill the coach's seat.

Bendigo joins Springvale, North Ballarat and Werribee in the hunt for a new coach.

I'm hoping that we pick up Brett Ratten or Matty Knights as the coach...a good nut of a midfielder who can teach the young kids what is all about. And interesting both of those blokes have quit their positions in the recent weeks.

Big job though to convince them they HAVE to live in Bendigo. Great town, personally I love it, but the city life is much better.

pazza said:
Banfield's coaching of the side has been questioned regularly by those of us who watch the Bendigo games intently.

His departure is not surprising.

Just out of interest what didn't you like, I thought he did a pretty good job in a tough situation.

Longy413 said:
Just out of interest what didn't you like, I thought he did a pretty good job in a tough situation.

Where would you like me to start?

Firstly, he awlways seemed to have the same names start on the bench and bench the same names every game early on (I speak of Luke Hawkins, the team's best actual forward and Darren Walsh, once fit enough to play after his bout with glandular fever).

Secondly, some of the things he'd come with in quater time and three quater time addresses were unbelievably stupid. Like this little ripper at three quarter time against Preston (okay we were down by 10 goals at the time) "we started planning for next week at half-time"...errr...since when does the next match have a bearing on what you are doing in the match before it Pete?

Thirdly, the idea of, hardly winning a third quarter all year. The team were lucky to win 3 3rd quarters for the entire season - it was alomst as if the team went to sleep during the half-time break.

Fourthly, I was speaking to Glenn Turner (Essendon's conditioning and weights coach) after the team had just got smashed by Port Melbourne at North Port..the coaching staff along with the players I am guessing, had really had a gutful of him by then.

Finally, having barely done anything decent during the last 2 seasons, trying to rely on a great August to make the finals. Compare this to those who finished above them. By August, the teams from 1-6, had guaranteed their spots by consistent football.

There's my rant.

pazza said:
Secondly, some of the things he'd come with in quater time and three quater time addresses were unbelievably stupid. Like this little ripper at three quarter time against Preston (okay we were down by 10 goals at the time) "we started planning for next week at half-time"...errr...since when does the next match have a bearing on what you are doing in the match before it Pete?

Bomber Thompson said the same thing at half time vs Port, and his team missed out on being in a Grand Final by 9 points.

pazza said:
Where would you like me to start?

Firstly, he awlways seemed to have the same names start on the bench and bench the same names every game early on (I speak of Luke Hawkins, the team's best actual forward and Darren Walsh, once fit enough to play after his bout with glandular fever).

Thirdly, the idea of, hardly winning a third quarter all year. The team were lucky to win 3 3rd quarters for the entire season - it was alomst as if the team went to sleep during the half-time break.

Fourthly, I was speaking to Glenn Turner (Essendon's conditioning and weights coach) after the team had just got smashed by Port Melbourne at North Port..the coaching staff along with the players I am guessing, had really had a gutful of him by then.

Finally, having barely done anything decent during the last 2 seasons, trying to rely on a great August to make the finals. Compare this to those who finished above them. By August, the teams from 1-6, had guaranteed their spots by consistent football.

There's my rant.

I think the reasons the same names were on the bench was because that's where they belonged. Hawkins isn't the same player he was a few years ago. Actually he is the same player, but the VFL has gone beyond him. The competition is a lot better than it was when he was kicking bags of goals...I'd be suprised if he wasn't back playing amateurs next season.
Walsh was fit, but he was also ordinary.

Against the Bullants we were shot. The loss of Joel hurt.....I think the planning for next week meant not risking further injury to the likes of Carter who was struggling with a shoulder injury...although still a very odd comment, I didn't see a lot of his addresses.

Third quarters were ordinary, dont know if that was his fault, a mental thing, or due to the number of kids we had, or the complete lack of leadership at times.

Tend to agree with your final point. Although it isn't a job I would like. A lot of weeks there were 5 or 6 or more changes made, must be hard when you never know who is in your team from week to week. Must also be hard when half your squad is training in Melbourne while the rest is 2 hours up the Calder.

Longy413 said:
Tend to agree with your final point. Although it isn't a job I would like. A lot of weeks there were 5 or 6 or more changes made, must be hard when you never know who is in your team from week to week. Must also be hard when half your squad is training in Melbourne while the rest is 2 hours up the Calder.

And the very reason why i dont like the bendigo allignment. Id rather us lose every game in the resserves yet have all the guys train together in the one place. It would also be good to get the odd crowd back to windy hill again.

marcuz said:
And the very reason why i dont like the bendigo allignment. Id rather us lose every game in the resserves yet have all the guys train together in the one place. It would also be good to get the odd crowd back to windy hill again.

Absolutely agree.

With the whole Bendigo alignment thing, part of the problem is where Windy Hill sits. Sure, one game this year was poor, but, there will be more games there in 2005...think part of that was because of the re-turfing of the ground and getting that ready..which took until late April/early May to be right.

The reason behind the alignment is the sheer cost of an AFL team having an additional VFL licence (certainly still amazed that Geelong can afford it actually). The cost of the licence is well over $100000, which has now been redirected into other projects e.g. the Hall Of Fame.

pazza said:
With the whole Bendigo alignment thing, part of the problem is where Windy Hill sits. Sure, one game this year was poor, but, there will be more games there in 2005...think part of that was because of the re-turfing of the ground and getting that ready..which took until late April/early May to be right.

The reason behind the alignment is the sheer cost of an AFL team having an additional VFL licence (certainly still amazed that Geelong can afford it actually). The cost of the licence is well over $100000, which has now been redirected into other projects e.g. the Hall Of Fame.

The licence is only $30,000 but the total costs of fielding a stand alone team are over $100,000.

But what cost do we put on the development of OUR players?

And there is only ever going to be a max of two games at windy hill.

3 next year apparently to address the problems created this year.

It's also be confirmed that from 2006, Bendigo will have a seconds team of its own, which will be interesting to see how that helps out in the development of players both inside and outside of the Essendon list management.

Was looking through some of the players Bendigo has on its list who are based in Bendigo or indeed come out of the Bendigo Footy League - there's a bit of talent about, so perhaps the development issues aren't as bad as what we would normally see (okay, so there is a bloke on the nominal Bendigo league list who turns 30 next year, but, when you consider anyone from as far down as Gisborne right up to places like White Hills are on the list..it's a talent pool waiting to be tapped into).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

pazza said:
Was looking through some of the players Bendigo has on its list who are based in Bendigo or indeed come out of the Bendigo Footy League - there's a bit of talent about, so perhaps the development issues aren't as bad as what we would normally see (okay, so there is a bloke on the nominal Bendigo league list who turns 30 next year, but, when you consider anyone from as far down as Gisborne right up to places like White Hills are on the list..it's a talent pool waiting to be tapped into).

Not quite sure what your point there is. I'm sure there is plenty of talent in Bendigo, but from an Essendon point of view, it doesn't give us a right to them. They still have to be drafted.

And I think from all reports Bendigo will look to field a reserves team next season. The Essendon/Bendigo alignment initially didn't go ahead because the VFL wanted the team to field a reserves side (something Essendon refused to support) and I believe are still leading the push.

from what i have heard they will be trying to pick up a lot of the kids not drafted that played under 19's in the north and north east of the state.I know the Ovens and Murray league are not impressed with the players from their region being lured into the Bendigo team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Bendigo Bombers Seek New Coach!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back