Bendigo FL discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

He’s gone to Banyule in the Northern league. Understand he won’t play in 2024, but he’s off the books as Bendigo league player now. The number of departures is staggering. Gisborne seem to be the only club not losing big numbers and with Waters back as coach, must be a big chance for a rapid climb back up to flag contenders.

Gisborne have only announced about 10 resigning and 1 recruit so hard to tell how they are travelling.

So whats happened to bendigo footy every one leaving must be something anyone shed any light on why

Gisborne have only announced about 10 resigning and 1 recruit so hard to tell how they are travelling.
McKenna barely played a game last year so he is like a new recruit, arguably the best player in comp when healthy. If they have bernacki full time or at least for finals they will be a real chance. Scanlon back after a year off too.

So whats happened to bendigo footy every one leaving must be something anyone shed any light on why
Happening pretty much everywhere apart from the Geelong and O&M Leagues. Metro clubs have more cash. The Bendigo League needs a serious adjustment all the same and an injection of new ideas and plans.

Happening pretty much everywhere apart from the Geelong and O&M Leagues. Metro clubs have more cash. The Bendigo League needs a serious adjustment all the same and an injection of new ideas and plans.

The farming clubs also have more cash. Some of the bank balances of clubs in the mallee district are absurd

The farming clubs also have more cash. Some of the bank balances of clubs in the mallee district are absurd
So where do Bendigo clubs get their revenue from 10/15 years ago I watched home and away games at the QEO,Wade St and Eaglehawk scouting some players. Crowds were virtually non existent then. Has this improved? Also in reference to the endless supply of money in the southern mallee clubs how long do you think its going to take for those that follow salary cap rules(but at the same time dont have the resources to raise huge money) are going to put up with fronting up yearly with no chance of winning a flag?I reckon this will come to a head sooner rather than later. Clubs will seek to pursue options that best suit themselves. Perhaps a stronger LVFL could evolve out of this. A couple of amalgamations, Wedderburn, Charlton and St. Arnaud move Boort/ Pyramid amalgamtion, Serp, Miti Calivil merge Maryborough join Inglewood / Bridgey/Newbridge merge. Then Maiden Gully and Marong might be happy to stay.

Again, it’s not my responsibility to provide anything. My evidence is I am telling you that I know without question that it happened. If that’s not enough for you look into it further or don’t believe it, either way I don’t mind.

I’m not interested in getting into semantics over the term gift either. You can call it a concession if you prefer. You could also call it a complete breakdown of the integrity of the competition facilitated by the very people charged with maintaining that integrity.

If you are a Sandhurst person then it is hardly surprising you see no problems in the administration but I can tell you it is the view that has been held by all of the clubs outside Bendigo for at least 50 years and I suspect longer.

You mention Gisborne as not holding that attitude, the same Gisborne whose committee voted to leave the league 15 or so years ago? Hardly a ringing endorsement from the club people most closely involved with the league.

The open and public hostility Kyneton has shown towards the league since leaving is also very instructive.
So we are to accept your statements as evidence are we? The trouble with your statements is they distort under a bit of light. The gift was not actually a gift used on player payments, it was a concession for the late payment of fees. No wonder you don't want to get into semantics. Digging deep there was likely some type of administration issue, maybe even a maladministration issue, but we don' t know when it happened what is is. We don't even know if it was Board members or people outside the Board. You won't tell us. Everybody on BFNL Boards for the last 20 years effectively has their name smeared as that suits your agenda.

Let's also put a light on your comments about Gisborne as use it as an example of how you support your anti BFNL board opinions. I reread the submissions (Ballarat & Bendigo) put to them when Gisborne members voted to stay in the BFNL. The Ballarat league proposal was on the basis it offered to rekindle rivalries for them with the likes of Sunbury and Melton and provide better gates. This had some merit and a split Gisborne committee accepted it. The members however rejected the argument. Club legend Luke Saunders said;

'The Bendigo League has been great for us and I think the feeling is mutual ... we respect the league and the league respects us'. (Better sit down when you read that Forest).

Luke Saunders was supported by the coach at the time Ty Elliott, the captain at the time Anthony Belcher, and many other players including Rodney Sharp and Ollie Messaoudi. All pro Bendigo. There was no mention anywhere from anyone of Gisborne being unhappy with the Bendigo Administration. The issue was travel and gates and which league was a better fit in this regard. Credit for keeping Gisborne in the BFNL was also given by its Chairman to its CEO Steven Oliver. Does that name ring a bell to you forest?

So Forest I can accept your comments about the attitude of Gisborne to staying in the BFNL or the comments as above of Luke Saunders, Ty Elliott, Anthony Belcher, Rodney Sharp, Ollie Masseoudi and many other Gisborne players. The same guys also respected the BFNL CEO Steven Oliver. You can guess who I believe. Not you.

As for your comments about me being a Sandhurst supporter and seeing no problems in the administration I never made that statement did I. Don't put words in my mouth to suite your agenda. For the record Sandhurst have only won one premiership in the last 15 years, South none and Kangaroo Flat none. All Bendigo based clubs.

Now I know you say you don't mind what I say. I bet you do because your a bloke that I reckon always want to have the last word. But get one thing well and truly in your head. I don't accept anybody's statement that something happened as 'evidence'. No you, not the Crazy one, not anybody - especially on this forum of all places.

So we are to accept your statements as evidence are we? The trouble with your statements is they distort under a bit of light. The gift was not actually a gift used on player payments, it was a concession for the late payment of fees. No wonder you don't want to get into semantics. Digging deep there was likely some type of administration issue, maybe even a maladministration issue, but we don' t know when it happened what is is. We don't even know if it was Board members or people outside the Board. You won't tell us. Everybody on BFNL Boards for the last 20 years effectively has their name smeared as that suits your agenda.

Let's also put a light on your comments about Gisborne as use it as an example of how you support your anti BFNL board opinions. I reread the submissions (Ballarat & Bendigo) put to them when Gisborne members voted to stay in the BFNL. The Ballarat league proposal was on the basis it offered to rekindle rivalries for them with the likes of Sunbury and Melton and provide better gates. This had some merit and a split Gisborne committee accepted it. The members however rejected the argument. Club legend Luke Saunders said;

'The Bendigo League has been great for us and I think the feeling is mutual ... we respect the league and the league respects us'. (Better sit down when you read that Forest).

Luke Saunders was supported by the coach at the time Ty Elliott, the captain at the time Anthony Belcher, and many other players including Rodney Sharp and Ollie Messaoudi. All pro Bendigo. There was no mention anywhere from anyone of Gisborne being unhappy with the Bendigo Administration. The issue was travel and gates and which league was a better fit in this regard. Credit for keeping Gisborne in the BFNL was also given by its Chairman to its CEO Steven Oliver. Does that name ring a bell to you forest?

So Forest I can accept your comments about the attitude of Gisborne to staying in the BFNL or the comments as above of Luke Saunders, Ty Elliott, Anthony Belcher, Rodney Sharp, Ollie Masseoudi and many other Gisborne players. The same guys also respected the BFNL CEO Steven Oliver. You can guess who I believe. Not you.

As for your comments about me being a Sandhurst supporter and seeing no problems in the administration I never made that statement did I. Don't put words in my mouth to suite your agenda. For the record Sandhurst have only won one premiership in the last 15 years, South none and Kangaroo Flat none. All Bendigo based clubs.

Now I know you say you don't mind what I say. I bet you do because your a bloke that I reckon always want to have the last word. But get one thing well and truly in your head. I don't accept anybody's statement that something happened as 'evidence'. No you, not the Crazy one, not anybody - especially on this forum of all places.
Holy hell Albury. Less is more man. I feel like after line 4 I am reading the defence brief for a civil case and he said/ she said.
IMO short sharp posts would be appreciated on all topics.
This isn't a court of law its an opinions factory. Everyone's got one.

You’re really just trying to justify the indefensible by diverting.

A significant amount of money wasn’t paid to the league by a club who won the premiership. It wasn’t an administrative error it was a club unable to meet its financial obligations and deciding to prioritise them to its best advantage.
And a competition that instead of following the procedure and bylaws to penalise the club (which would have meant a loss of premiership points), did nothing and allowed them to take an advantage over the competition.
If they had been forced to pay the money then naturally they would have had less money left to pay players. I can’t see how you could possibly argue against that logic but if you believe that then go right ahead.

As for Gisborne if you want to think that a board voted to leave a competition that they are happy with because of the potential for some higher gates then go right ahead. And if you think players are in touch with the workings of the club administration and the league board then that’s fine as well.

I’ll leave this discussion now, happy to let the readers make their own conclusions.

We can't rewrite history lads, let's just hope this year, we get improvement from maine, Maryborough and flat. At one stage flat looked an outside shot of finals, when they beat the borough and signed the general.

Let's hope there's some late signings to add a bit to the season, surely clubs are circling Manuel to stay in the league as one

We can't rewrite history lads, let's just hope this year, we get improvement from maine, Maryborough and flat. At one stage flat looked an outside shot of finals, when they beat the borough and signed the general.

Let's hope there's some late signings to add a bit to the season, surely clubs are circling Manuel to stay in the league as one

Honestly got me buggered how Maryborough are still going. For the sake of their younger players coming up, they need to seek a different option. Unless their players are on great coin, I’m not sure how they front up every week knowing what’s coming for them. Pretty much goes for the other Maryborough team too.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What's happened to footy in Maryborough, what 10-15k pop, gone are getting recruits like bond and sumner straight out of afl/vfl, locals like Tranter, Aston, moniz, dell's, peart etc coming through.

They need to 6 a graders to help their juniors through

What's happened to footy in Maryborough, what 10-15k pop, gone are getting recruits like bond and sumner straight out of afl/vfl, locals like Tranter, Aston, moniz, dell's, peart etc coming through.

They need to 6 a graders to help their juniors through

Reckon they need to be sent to CHFNL or MCDFNL. They are absolutely struggling and it’s no way to bring up their juniors. No wonder half of them leave and I don’t blame them. They amaze me they really do 🤬

Reckon they need to be sent to CHFNL or MCDFNL. They are absolutely struggling and it’s no way to bring up their juniors. No wonder half of them leave and I don’t blame them. They amaze me they really do 🤬

The problem for Maryborough and Castlemaine (more in previous years) if they don't differentiate themselves from their local competing clubs they could become less relevant. At least playing in a league the next level up provides a standard jump if local players want it. Unfortunately, locals are now choosing Ballarat teams ahead of Maryborough to test themselves - which could be the final nail in their coffin.

As I have posted previously the only solution I see is some form of restructuring like a 2-tier Bendigo comp with promotion and relegation with the district leagues to continue in their format.

The problem for Maryborough and Castlemaine (more in previous years) if they don't differentiate themselves from their local competing clubs they could become less relevant. At least playing in a league the next level up provides a standard jump if local players want it. Unfortunately, locals are now choosing Ballarat teams ahead of Maryborough to test themselves - which could be the final nail in their coffin.

As I have posted previously the only solution I see is some form of restructuring like a 2-tier Bendigo comp with promotion and relegation with the district leagues to continue in their format.

The problem is there is no way to differentiate themselves now because there is no pathway via major leagues to higher honours.

I live next door to a young bloke who has just finished his third season with Harcourt. He basically played in three flags, one season was called off when they were top of the ladder, then won the next two years.

He has told me that in those three years he played in 7 games that were actually decent contests and enjoyable to play. Every other game was a cakewalk or the standard of the opposition so abysmal it wasn’t worth playing.

I asked him why he played there and he says the same thing they all say. Easy enough to turn up and have a kick with his mates, not too serious and can win a few games. He’s previously played Bendigo footy and doesn’t see any point doing it again. Not much difference in money for your rank and file senior player and a heap more demands on your time and effort.

As I have posted previously the only solution I see is some form of restructuring like a 2-tier Bendigo comp with promotion and relegation with the district leagues to continue in their form

The problem is there is no way to differentiate themselves now because there is no pathway via major leagues to higher honours.

I live next door to a young bloke who has just finished his third season with Harcourt. He basically played in three flags, one season was called off when they were top of the ladder, then won the next two years.

He has told me that in those three years he played in 7 games that were actually decent contests and enjoyable to play. Every other game was a cakewalk or the standard of the opposition so abysmal it wasn’t worth playing.

I asked him why he played there and he says the same thing they all say. Easy enough to turn up and have a kick with his mates, not too serious and can win a few games. He’s previously played Bendigo footy and doesn’t see any point doing it again. Not much difference in money for your rank and file senior player and a heap more demands on your time and effort.
Unfortunately, the attitudes towards playing 'major' league football have changed. Up until the mid 90's it was regarded as an achievement to play major league football. Good District League players attempted to get recruited to these leagues. The District League clubs soon realized it could go the 'other' way by enticing Major league players with huge amounts of cash. The chances of getting drafted from strong Country football Leagues also became almost non-existent.

They may soon find out the harsh reality when there is no players and what happens. Into Recess! I seriously hope for the sake of their up and coming kids the club has a good hard think of what they will be doing over the next 24 months. Getting smashed every week will not help them recruit any sort of decent players. They need to head to CHFNL or join MCDFNL asap. Unless the Bendigo FL come up with another division Maryborough won’t survive much longer.

The honest grim reality - and this is a whole town thing - is that it's a largely older population in Maryborough. I don't think a two-tier Bendigo comp is going to solve the longer-term issues of football and netball in the town and surrounding districts regarding a major league team.

Long term it is probably one of the harder areas to fix in footy and netty even if there were moves afoot to put it in a district league - inbetween Ballarat and Bendigo and you add in an extra 45 minutes of travel from both towns which wouldn't be as appealing to someone who might come up from Melbourne for instance to play sport. I came up from Melbourne myself to work in the town, so I feel I can provide some perspective.

They may soon find out the harsh reality when there is no players and what happens. Into Recess! I seriously hope for the sake of their up and coming kids the club has a good hard think of what they will be doing over the next 24 months. Getting smashed every week will not help them recruit any sort of decent players. They need to head to CHFNL or join MCDFNL asap. Unless the Bendigo FL come up with another division Maryborough won’t survive much longer.

Spot on, getting smashed every week destroys their supporter base. They need to move to a district competition.

Unfortunately, the attitudes towards playing 'major' league football have changed. Up until the mid 90's it was regarded as an achievement to play major league football. Good District League players attempted to get recruited to these leagues. The District League clubs soon realized it could go the 'other' way by enticing Major league players with huge amounts of cash. The chances of getting drafted from strong Country football Leagues also became almost non-existent.
While I agree with the view that playing 'major' league footy has changed Maryborough has seen at least 3 local players from Carisbrook and Natte go to play 'major' league footy in Ballarat. When Maryborough was strong these players would traditionally come in to play there.... not sure MCDFNL or CHFNL is the answer ...... but 2024 looks tough.

While I agree with the view that playing 'major' league footy has changed Maryborough has seen at least 3 local players from Carisbrook and Natte go to play 'major' league footy in Ballarat. When Maryborough was strong these players would traditionally come in to play there.... not sure MCDFNL or CHFNL is the answer ...... but 2024 looks tough.

I don’t think it’s necessarily a reflection on the club, it’s likely more to do with cash.

For a club that is down players and coaches put a tax on their services. As I’ve said before on a population scale it is impossible for the likes of Maryborough or Castlemaine to compete with Bendigo or Ballarat clubs and that also is the case financially.

The number and size of sponsors is a huge gap, as is the population base you have to fundraise. There’s a huge pie to share in Bendigo, Castlemaine and Maryborough are continually tapping the same people.

I’ve used the example of Kyneton and Gisborne before. The bigger town generates twice as many sponsors and many more huge businesses.

When you look at Strath in the Milne/Baker years and Square in the Weekes and co era spends it is fantasy to think teams are now under 120k. Castlemaine has had years where they have spent 140k and not won a game because it was what had to be done to get a team on the park.

Until the AFL gets serious about salary caps or uses the points system in a stronger way to compensate then it is impossible for these clubs and many others to compete.

The way things are going the talk of the division system is a mute point because jump forward a decade and enough teams in the region will have fallen over that there will only be two leagues anyway.

I don’t think it’s necessarily a reflection on the club, it’s likely more to do with cash.

For a club that is down players and coaches put a tax on their services. As I’ve said before on a population scale it is impossible for the likes of Maryborough or Castlemaine to compete with Bendigo or Ballarat clubs and that also is the case financially.

The number and size of sponsors is a huge gap, as is the population base you have to fundraise. There’s a huge pie to share in Bendigo, Castlemaine and Maryborough are continually tapping the same people.

I’ve used the example of Kyneton and Gisborne before. The bigger town generates twice as many sponsors and many more huge businesses.

When you look at Strath in the Milne/Baker years and Square in the Weekes and co era spends it is fantasy to think teams are now under 120k. Castlemaine has had years where they have spent 140k and not won a game because it was what had to be done to get a team on the park.

Until the AFL gets serious about salary caps or uses the points system in a stronger way to compensate then it is impossible for these clubs and many others to compete.

The way things are going the talk of the division system is a moot point because jump forward a decade and enough teams in the region will have fallen over that there will only be two leagues anyway.
That may be true about the difficulty of raising funds for a smaller community. In saying that Castlemaine and Maryborough have a larger population or equal to of Rochester, Kyabram, euroa, Seymour and Tatura in the GV. These clubs don’t cry poor, in actual facts they feed of that little town mentality and have established strong cultures that rely on the retention of talented locals.

The honest grim reality - and this is a whole town thing - is that it's a largely older population in Maryborough. I don't think a two-tier Bendigo comp is going to solve the longer-term issues of football and netball in the town and surrounding districts regarding a major league team.

Long term it is probably one of the harder areas to fix in footy and netty even if there were moves afoot to put it in a district league - inbetween Ballarat and Bendigo and you add in an extra 45 minutes of travel from both towns which wouldn't be as appealing to someone who might come up from Melbourne for instance to play sport. I came up from Melbourne myself to work in the town, so I feel I can provide some perspective.
As someone who has had involvement at Maryborough it is a very proud club and trust me it isn't going anywhere. The club is financial and probably in much better health off field than some of its competitors. Currently the club has an excellent group of young players who have stuck together despite the adversities and hopefully they will show further progress in 2024. The performance of the Under 18 team this year was an excellent result and augers well for the future. The club has not got into bidding wars and paid overpriced imports that often only provide short term benefits. Many of these individuals have ended up elsewhere on far greater monies than the club offered with varying degrees of success. Some success for the senior teams is on the horizon which is a good thing.

The issue with football in the area is an interesting one and there are many views. Maryborough is in the Bendigo league but the surrounding MCDFNL is affiliated with AFL Goldfields which is based in Ballarat. This is problematic in addressing the challenges with football in the area as there are inconsistencies in how football is administered/ supported by each commission. When there was an opportunity to reform football in the region a few years ago, clubs rejected the proposed changes in their entirety. The many clubs in the region are often very 'self interested' and unwilling in working together to improve football. The merger of Rovers and Royal Park was a very pleasant change/ surprise considering their rivalries.

Maryborough is like the 'meat in the sandwich'. The population is older, young people leave town and never return, the player pool is small and players living in the town are often recruited/poached by surrounding MCDFNL clubs for 'very good remuneration' which is often well above what major league clubs offer.

Lots of challenges and if football is going to thrive in the area everyone needs to work together with a collaborative approach. AFL Victoria and their commissions need to provide direction and support and clubs need to drop their personal agendas and long standing hatreds.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back