• Yes, but he went a little too far

• No, but protecting players is key

• No, totally unacceptable but that is it, move on

• No, totally unacceptable and needs a sanction

• I barrack for another club and just want to see the results

• I am in the media and need my next news story

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Morris is a try hard and a partisan hack, who does seem to have an issue with us (remember him trying to circulate Essendon’s messaging re a fair price for Dunkley).

Bevo has gone way overboard though. Find the leak and march them out of the club, and if you really have to then cut Morris off for a while. Spraying him like that (and it wasn’t even articulate, like Bevo usually is).

It’s been Barrett, Cornes and now Morris and it’s becoming a bit too much of a habit.

Bev's rant was over the top, petty, and frankly a little bit pathetic.

He does raise an interesting point, though, about the allegiances of journalists and how they use the privileged information that they are able to access.

The AFL should and will fine Bev for the outburst, but I do think there needs to be clearer rules around not disclosing team selection until the agreed upon time.

I can't imagine Channel 7 would be thrilled about Fox journalists breaching their exclusive first reporting of teams deal.

I support what Bevo did 100%.

If a journalist is going to run a story, they have an ethical obligation to put their assertions to the club/person and provide an opportunity for a response. This is a basic of journalism. The DeGrassi Junior High approach of village whispers and then off to print is not only poor journalism, it does have implications for the people involved. Bevo is right to point this out and protect his crew. On both this occasion and in clearly feeling frustrated about the aggregate impacts on the team and players for having their mental health kicked around so disrespectfully in the media.

I’m sure the wealth of IT forensic investigators may be able to assist in possibly identifying the source of leaks. The leaks are concerning. But this is not just about the leaks. It’s about the standards of footy journalism and why they should not be immune from being called out for breaching those standards. It’s not often that those who suffer the consequences get to have their say - and last night Bevo had the microphone and spoke his truth to the world. I say Amen to that.

I have said this before.

The biggest issue is that there is too many accredited journalists for the game AFL that need to substantiate their jobs.

AFL is played in one part of the world, there is one league that is played in several states in Australia, there is no state football, no national team, and no other competition other than home and away season and then finals.

The amount of journalists covering the game is not warranted. In order for all the journalists to warrant their job they come up with trash and very little of what they say is analytical and worth reading.

Consider the English Premier League - 20 teams each team playing each other once at home and away, then there is European League for the top clubs, there is the relegation battle which is huge, there is FA Cup, League Cup, there is the National team playing European and World comp etc etc.
The journalists are forced to talk about the game and not all these side issues, they have plenty to write about without writing trash.

Bevo most likely doing the old coach's trick of create a controversy about yourself to take the heat off your players imo.
I think Bevo was keen to use the presser to up the ante on any leaks coming out of the club, so that the source might think twice before going again with so much heat in the kitchen.

Unfortunately the execution wasn't great but he might get the desired result of stopping the leaks. Time will tell

If a journalist is going to run a story, they have an ethical obligation to put their assertions to the club/person and provide an opportunity for a response. This is a basic of journalism. The DeGrassi Junior High approach of village whispers and then off to print is not only poor journalism, it does have implications for the people involved. Bevo is right to point this out and protect his crew. On both this occasion and in clearly feeling frustrated about the aggregate impacts on the team and players for having their mental health kicked around so disrespectfully in the media.

I’m sure the wealth of IT forensic investigators may be able to assist in possibly identifying the source of leaks. The leaks are concerning. But this is not just about the leaks. It’s about the standards of footy journalism and why they should not be immune from being called out for breaching those standards. It’s not often that those who suffer the consequences get to have their say - and last night Bevo had the microphone and spoke his truth to the world. I say Amen to that.
I agree with all of what you've said 100%, but there are better avenues to getting this resolved. This was not a part of a grand plan to make someone accountable and raise an issue with resolution in mind - this was a loss of emotional control that turned into a public, personal attack.

Bev's rant was over the top, petty, and frankly a little bit pathetic.

He does raise an interesting point, though, about the allegiances of journalists and how they use the privileged information that they are able to access.

The AFL should and will fine Bev for the outburst, but I do think there needs to be clearer rules around not disclosing team selection until the agreed upon time.

I can't imagine Channel 7 would be thrilled about Fox journalists breaching their exclusive first reporting of teams deal.
What rules did he break that he should be fined?

The irony of Tom Morris being on the end of a spray at a journalist

35bd995b-a145-4272-bb52-fb231235bd04-jpeg.1345920

What a tool.

I agree with all of what you've said 100%, but there are better avenues to getting this resolved. This was not a part of a grand plan to make someone accountable and raise an issue with resolution in mind - this was a loss of emotional control that turned into a public, personal attack.
Agree. Those thinking this was calculated or some way to purposely detract from the loss are wide of the mark. Emotions clearly got the better of him and he lost control. Bevo was triggered by the dum question from Morris again trying to make it about him and his “story” despite this being post match and irrelevant.

What rules did he break that he should be fined?
I don't know the specific rules, but he:
  • Refused to answer reasonable questions at an AFL-mandated event
  • Launched a televised personal attack on a member of the AFL community
  • Ended an AFL-mandated event prematurely
Fining for this kind of stuff is par for the course in all professional sport - particularly when the AFL are currently trying to make a stand against player and umpire abuse.

He lets the media bother him too much, needs to be bigger than that if he is the coach.

Gee wiz, we get inside info on this very site on who's in and out each week, no big deal, they announce debutants early don't they.

When he stuck up for Tom Boyd I backed him, most of the other times he comes across as spiteful and petty.
Yea but it's obviously the straw that broke the camel's back. Don't look at the isolated incident look at Morris' body of work here and it has brought Bevo to boiling point. That f#$kwit Barrett harassed Tom Boyd relentlessly and played a part in driving him out of the game. And he gets away with it with a sh1t eating grin and no sanctions. Do we want to sit by and let that happen to Bailey Smith?

I feel like sporting journos had more respect 30 years ago, I could be wrong. I think it started with McGuire and he has set the tone for what we are seeing now. These clowns are taking away from the sport rather than adding to it.
The joke is that they think they have. the right to give themselves awards for doing this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All these 'journo's" are going to go into bat for each other as they need to protect their ability to keep sucking on the tit of the AFL and in a lot of cases stealing a living. Bevo just should have pick his spot a bit better. Also the fact he looked like Ivan Milat when delivering the spray didn't help!

All these 'journo's" are going to go into bat for each other as they need to protect their ability to keep sucking on the tit of the AFL and in a lot of cases stealing a living. Bevo just should have pick his spot a bit better. Also the fact he looked like Ivan Milat when delivering the spray didn't help!
Gerard Whateley confirmed on SEN this morning that Tom Browne should have called the club and at least notified them he was going to leak info. There are journalistic ethics in play here and Browne has history of continuously ignoring them and getting information wrong.

I have said this before.

The biggest issue is that there is too many accredited journalists for the game AFL that need to substantiate their jobs.

AFL is played in one part of the world, there is one league that is played in several states in Australia, there is no state football, no national team, and no other competition other than home and away season and then finals.

The amount of journalists covering the game is not warranted. In order for all the journalists to warrant their job they come up with trash and very little of what they say is analytical and worth reading.

Consider the English Premier League - 20 teams each team playing each other once at home and away, then there is European League for the top clubs, there is the relegation battle which is huge, there is FA Cup, League Cup, there is the National team playing European and World comp etc etc.
The journalists are forced to talk about the game and not all these side issues, they have plenty to write about without writing trash.
They are all good points you make. I am sure he would have expected the question. I’m sure he would have thought about what he might say - even for a second. I’ve no trouble with a little emotion. I hope there is also some method in highlighting the poor ethics of footy journalism (irrespective of whether you think he went too low on this one) and footy media consumers become more sceptical of the bottom feeding crap that gets served up.

SEN are laughable. Gerard craps on about being neutral and then wheels out cocksmoker Cornes to rehash all the Treloar body language stuff.

Gerard then suggests Bevo has acted in a manner beneath himself whilst sharing a microphone with gutter trash Cornes.

Whateley needs a wake up call. Bozos like Cornes, Robbo and Hutchy are having a major influence on hime. Lie down with dogs and you get fleas after all.

I hope Bevo doubles down and rages uncontrollably against the media until it becomes a major issue league wide.

SEN are laughable. Gerard craps on about being neutral and then wheels out cocksmoker Cornes to rehash all the Treloar body language stuff.

Gerard then suggests Bevo has acted in a manner beneath himself whilst sharing a microphone with gutter trash Cornes.

Whateley needs a wake up call. Bozos like Cornes, Robbo and Hutchy are having a major influence on hime. Lie down with dogs and you get fleas after all.

I hope Bevo doubles down and rages uncontrollably against the media until it becomes a major issue league wide.
The irony of media personalities like Cornes talking about how the club needs to focus on things like the game instead of little issues, whilst addressing only the little issues instead of the game is very laughable, also.

Modern journalism is print/broadcast story, rumour, innuendo or whatever it is and then ask for a response.

That's why you see so many stories now 'xx have been contacted for comment'. The journos don't want a response because they know if they get a response it undermines or completely discredits their bull**** story and they have no story hence why Morris didn't contact the club.

I'm frustrated because this major issue will be spun in the complete opposite direction. Bevo is at fault for this but really, there was never going to be any way he could address this without the vulture pile on.

AFL media has been a major reason as to why I've switched off from being a neutral fan of the competition. The constant bias, the boys club and the invasive reporting. Yet, when these journalists are called out or queried they all have the thinnest skin of all.

Sam McClure was stripped of a major award for his horrible and one sided reporting yet there has been barely any mention by his media mates. McClure literally used his show on SEN to taunt Adelaide supporters. Whenever a caller slipped through the producer and challenged him he cut them off. He dedicated a show taunting Pike for not playing Josh Jenkins. Funnily enough Jenkins was working for SEN at the time.

Even last night Luke Hodge was joking that Schache should fake an injury because he was playing poor and so JUH could be subbed in. Schache didn't play well but that shit would hit someone's wellbeing on a deep level.

Morris was deviating the presser and making it about himself by trying to trap Bevo into a gotcha moment and give himself a big back slap in front of his mates. No one is going to call that out.

After all of this, I'm going to be more mindful of what I say about our players in the game day threads, I've said some nasty things.

Anyways, I'm avoiding all media for the next fortnight. I am even considering not watching this round.

Can't believe some dogs supporters on here are not backing in Bevo. He is coping it from everyone today. Bevo is standing up for the club like no other coach in our history.

Back him in when he needs us most.
I back the arguments, not the delivery.

Doing some amazing things for our footy club and standing up for us like no other coach before him doesn't excuse him from all criticism whatsoever.

Remove this Banner Ad

Berko Bevo vs. the former Muckraker Morris in the Round 1 presser

Back