Best 22 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

I think we are getting closer to refining the team - and hopefully, the coaches will be too!!

Fletch Hooker Baguley
Hibberd Carlisle Dempsey
Melksham Heppell/Myers Stanton
Chapman Hurley Zakka
Goddard/Watson Daniher Winders

TBell Goddard/Watson Hocking

Bench from: Heppell/Myers Howlett Ryder Kommer

That's exactly what we don't want. We want a squad of 30 all pushing for games.

Why would you want Myers tagging when we already have one of the best taggers in the comp in Hocking? Are ppl seriously not aware of how good Hocking is in that role?? Our side is immeasurably better when Hocking is the tagger..

For me, the 'locks' are:

Bag's Hooker (Defender 1*)
Hibberd Carlisle Dempsey
Ryder Watson Hocking
Stanton Melksham Heppell
Goddard Hurley Chapman
Winderlich Daniher Zaka

Bench: Merrett, TBell, (Bench 1*), (Sub 1*)

So Defender 1 position is probably a fight between Fletcher or Pears
Bench 1 / Sub 1 becomes a fight between guys like Myers, Howlett, Edwards, Ekav, Kommer, Jetta, Aylett etc etc

So, barring injury, I think there is really only two spots that are truly up for grabs and they will be hard fought between a group of around 8-9 guys.. plus maybe a NOB or a surprise packet.. so very good news for the club overall..

I think it is a good thing that 'most' of us could probably agree on the top 15 names that go into the team.. and that is because we are finally starting to sort out our best 22 and play some good footy together..

firstly yes hocking can be one of the best taggers in the game but even with hocking in the team tagging i feel myres needs to be doing some kind of defensive role (not every week) on one of the games best to learn. and when i say defensive role, not some half back flank crap, i want in and under or hard gut running following a judd around

For us to take the next step, it comes down to the improvement of our 20 - 30 listed players.

These next in line guys need to be pushing the first 22 players in order for them to improve and keep everyone on there toes. We aren't a basketcase like other teams anymore, so hopefully we can expand that 'AFL Standard' group out to the 30 I mentioned.

For us to take the next step, it comes down to the improvement of our 20 - 30 listed players.

These next in line guys need to be pushing the first 22 players in order for them to improve and keep everyone on there toes. We aren't a basketcase like other teams anymore, so hopefully we can expand that 'AFL Standard' group out to the 30 I mentioned.

Realistically.. if you say that we now have our 'top 20' then we are only looking for, say, this group to step up:
Van Unen
Hardingham
EKav
NOB
Gleeson
Edwards
Aylett
Howlett
Browne
Hams

And you suddenly have that group of 30 that we need..

Realistically.. if you say that we now have our 'top 20' then we are only looking for, say, this group to step up:
Van Unen
Hardingham
EKav
NOB
Gleeson
Edwards
Aylett
Howlett
Browne
Hams

And you suddenly have that group of 30 that we need..

In 2013, BigFooty thought we had some good depth (EKav, Browne, Hams, Hardy etc.) who were playing good footy in the twos. Realistically, Hardingham and possibly Pears (who was borderline best 22 anyways) were the only depth who came in and gave us some resemblence of AFL standard.

In 2013, BigFooty thought we had some good depth (EKav, Browne, Hams, Hardy etc.) who were playing good footy in the twos. Realistically, Hardingham and possibly Pears (who was borderline best 22 anyways) were the only depth who came in and gave us some resemblence of AFL standard.
That is the issue we currently face without doubt. We have a rock solid 20 players, where you can have a situation like Howlett being dropped back to the VFL in shocking form and immediately picking up 40 touches. Contrast that, to the performance of all the 20 - 30 group in the VFL and it is a rude shock. Those guys have not stepped up like expected in 2013 and it will be really interesting to see if that is only a temporary glitch or not. We currently have an enormous fall away from top 20 to the 20 - 30 crew and it is the second biggest concern after infractions.
It hurts to say, but it would be blind bias at this point to have any true confidence in any of those players. I'm tempted to exclude Kav at least from that statement, but we have no evidence that he will be anything better than an average AFL player at this point in time.
How well those guys do turn out will be the difference between us remaining a fringe top 4 side and taking it that step further.

Furthermore, that group of players needs to become near A grade standard in order to be useful for the club. We no longer have a place in the side for average AFL players, as we have moved past that point. That is a big problem, because it would be reasonable to expect a fair few of those players to become decent footballers, but it is not really reasonable to expect them to become elite.
It means that we need a really good dose of luck now to take us to the next level, which is a bummer because intuitively it feels like we are closer to the goal than that. (by next level i mean top 2)

I play a personal hypothetical game at the beginning of each year where i'm allowed to award 3 level jumps to any player or players in the team.
Two years ago i gave one or two (cant recall) to Jobe and was astonished to see God listened ;)
Last year i gave one each to Zaka, Heppell and Howlett i'm pretty sure. Think it looked pretty promising after round one :D
i'm always torn between giving to players who i think need it vs the ones that i think will come on regardless. Then there is the value for money regrading age factor!
i've so far resisted giving one to Hurley because i keep thinking he will do it himself! :mad:
The things we do to keep ourselves entertained. lol

I play a personal hypothetical game at the beginning of each year where i'm allowed to award 3 level jumps to any player or players in the team.
Two years ago i gave one or two (cant recall) to Jobe and was astonished to see God listened ;)
Last year i gave one each to Zaka, Heppell and Howlett i'm pretty sure. Think it looked pretty promising after round one :D
i'm always torn between giving to players who i think need it vs the ones that i think will come on regardless. Then there is the value for money regrading age factor!
i've so far resisted giving one to Hurley because i keep thinking he will do it himself! :mad:
The things we do to keep ourselves entertained. lol

Yeah you should prob award Jetta all 3...

That is the issue we currently face without doubt. We have a rock solid 20 players, where you can have a situation like Howlett being dropped back to the VFL in shocking form and immediately picking up 40 touches. Contrast that, to the performance of all the 20 - 30 group in the VFL and it is a rude shock. Those guys have not stepped up like expected in 2013 and it will be really interesting to see if that is only a temporary glitch or not. We currently have an enormous fall away from top 20 to the 20 - 30 crew and it is the second biggest concern after infractions.
It hurts to say, but it would be blind bias at this point to have any true confidence in any of those players. I'm tempted to exclude Kav at least from that statement, but we have no evidence that he will be anything better than an average AFL player at this point in time.
How well those guys do turn out will be the difference between us remaining a fringe top 4 side and taking it that step further.

Yep and that is why we suffer under injury so much.

IMO we now have a top 20-21 that stacks up against the very best on paper. Maybe im bias but usually im not.

However if we get a couple of injuries which happens to every side we turn to shit because our guys stepping in a just a huge drop in grade/class.

The experienced guys outside the 20-21 like Hardingham, Colyer, Pears, Jetta are okay but still not great. But its these young kids that really need to show something in Kavanagh, Obrien, Browne, Merretts ect

The difference between us and the top teams is they can cover their injuries much better and they have developed and refined a game plan that works with the same sort of troop for an extended period of time now. We have done that for the pass 2 years IMO, it will slightly improve again hopefully this year then its just that depth and finals experience for some.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty excited to see who jumps out of the blocks and demands a spot in the 22..

Colyer, Edwards, J. Merrett, Obrien, Kav, etc, etc.

I dont think any will this year. Colyer may as a sub option on most occasions.

For me its hard to see a team past this (Ill include Jetta because hes my best small forward IMO) but simply replace that with Kommer.

Bags - Hooker - Fletch

Hibberd - Hurley - Dempsey

Goddard - Watson - Stanton

Winderlich - Carlisle - Melksham

Chapman - TBC - Jetta (Kommer)

Ryder - Hocking - Heppell

Zaharakis, Myers, Howlett
Sub: Colyer

JoeD potentially instead of Jetta (Kommer) if we are gonna play a bit taller. However i think with the slight interchange cap teams will be looking to go a bit smaller. Certainly sometimes we may see it better off to go with Daniher.

It may be the coaches first choice to go TBC, JoeD, Carlisle forward however having 3 x 200cm giants i think we might get a hurt a bit with rotations and teams running it out of defense with too much ease.

I prefer putting extra demand on TBC/Ryder as both should prove next year to being the best tandem ruck combo in the comp. Have Melksham play that role as a leadup/hit up half forward and the extra rest of 6'3 midfielders like Watson/Goddard playing deeper forward.

Id hate to see us with a resting Watson forward along with the 3x200cm talls at once. Thats where teams like Hawthorn continually kill us.

The guy under most threat to keep his position in the 22 is Fletcher and that will be to Pears. I cant see any youngsters going past anyone else and cementing themselves best 22 no doubt they will get games throughout the year though.

Unless Kommer gathers a big bag of class this summer I don't want to see him in our "best 22". I'm not having a go. He seems like a top club man and if a few other players could play with his tenacity they'd be stars *cough* Jetta. Our list is developing well IF the second to fourth year players not playing regular footy last year start demanding to be selected.

There is no way that JoeyD stays in the two's this year.. if he is fit, he will play big minutes at AFL level...

VERY positive things coming from training that JD has already begun to impose himself and they literally won't be able to hold him back this year... still very very early in his development.. but I think it is safe to say he will learn his craft 'on the job' this year and hopefully the benefits of that will start to show in 2015 and beyond..

There is no way that JoeyD stays in the two's this year.. if he is fit, he will play big minutes at AFL level...

VERY positive things coming from training that JD has already begun to impose himself and they literally won't be able to hold him back this year... still very very early in his development.. but I think it is safe to say he will learn his craft 'on the job' this year and hopefully the benefits of that will start to show in 2015 and beyond..

I also think that he and Carlisle are sufficiently quick and agile that we won't really suffer from having too tall a forward line.

I thought I was talking about forward pockets. Joe will get a good amount of games this year. Needs to work on his kicking for goal over the off-season.

I would've thought Chappy, Winderlich and a midfielder would make up the small/medium forwards with the three other places being taken up by Joe, TBC and Carlisle/Hurley. Only if Joe's omitted (as Keystone agony had) or Chapman or Winderlich is injured is that forward pocket up for grabs.

I would've thought Chappy, Winderlich and a midfielder would make up the small/medium forwards with the three other places being taken up by Joe, TBC and Carlisle/Hurley. Only if Joe's omitted (as Keystone agony had) or Chapman or Winderlich is injured is that forward pocket up for grabs.
'if' Chapman or Winderlich are injured, surely you mean 'when'. In 2013 TRB always had a spot for a combination of Kommer/Davey/Merrett to play the forward pressure role.

'if' Chapman or Winderlich are injured, surely you mean 'when'. In 2013 TRB always had a spot for a combination of Kommer/Davey/Merrett to play the forward pressure role.

Chapman should fill that role. Changes from 2013 to 2014 should be: Crameri out, Daniher in; Hurley back, Carlisle forward; Kommer out, Chapman in. If/when Chapman or Winderlich gets injured (Chappy's no certainty though - he's only been injured once recently) I'd have Merrett or maybe Hardingham coming in.

Chapman should fill that role. Changes from 2013 to 2014 should be: Crameri out, Daniher in; Hurley back, Carlisle forward; Kommer out, Chapman in. If/when Chapman or Winderlich gets injured (Chappy's no certainty though - he's only been injured once recently) I'd have Merrett or maybe Hardingham coming in.

Chapman isn't going to run anyone down. Chapman in for Davey. Kommer (or his equivilant) stays.

I would hope that Jetta, and Kommer for that matter are not in the team ahead of Daniher....
We can always rest one of the big guys - TBC, Daniher, Hurley, Ryder, Carlisle on a bench or even SUB them if we are too tall and getting run around on game day - have a small SUB like a Kommer/Colyer/Jetta. Our big men are all versatile enough to play several roles - Daniher included. Kid cant be wrapped in cotton wool forever....

Remove this Banner Ad

Best 22 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Back