Best 22 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought Dalgleish's performances were very impressive and he would free up Hibberd or Dempsey to spend time in the midfield as Egan suggested a few weeks ago.

Im all for Dalgleish coming in to free up "Hibberd and Dempsey to spend time in the midfield" but who do they push out of the midfield?

It's a great big merry go round.

The only person i can see the Leish pushing out ATM is possibly Baguley. Maybe the real nippy quick opponents could suit Dalgleish more and certainly if Baguley starts struggling with them or form throughout the year hes the backup as the small defender.

The only person i can see the Leish pushing out ATM is possibly Baguley. Maybe the real nippy quick opponents could suit Dalgleish more and certainly if Baguley starts struggling with them or form throughout the year hes the backup as the small defender.

Did Dempsey and Dalgleish play in the same team at all?

Baugley has braun, Dalgleish has beauty (or so to speak)

Did Dempsey and Dalgleish play in the same team at all?

Baugley has braun, Dalgleish has beauty (or so to speak)

What i mean is i dont see Dalgleish getting picked over Dempsey

His only chance is getting picked over Baguley IMO

I also admittingly probably haven't seen enough of Dalgleish

Dempsey is an automatic pick for our team but yes Dalgleish will mainly be backup next year waiting for injury to any of Bags, Demps or the pig and or as a sub.

The other option, and this probably applies more if Baguley is injured than out of form, is Hibberd plays the more defensive role with Dalgleish or whomever rebounding.

Im all for Dalgleish coming in to free up "Hibberd and Dempsey to spend time in the midfield" but who do they push out of the midfield?

It's a great big merry go round.

They could probably go with something like this:
B: Baguley, Hurley, Fletcher
HB: Dalgleish, Hooker, Hibberd
C: Dempsey, Watson, Zaharakis
HF: Goddard, Carlisle, Winderlich
F: Chapman, Bellchambers, Daniher
R: Ryder, Heppell, Hocking
I/C: Stanton, Melksham, Myers, Merrett

I guess Howlett's the one missing out in this instance, and I'd be okay with that. I really want to see Hibberd in the midfield but the defence just doesn't look nearly as solid without him there.

They could probably go with something like this:
B: Baguley, Hurley, Fletcher
HB: Dalgleish, Hooker, Hibberd
C: Dempsey, Watson, Zaharakis
HF: Goddard, Carlisle, Winderlich
F: Chapman, Bellchambers, Daniher
R: Ryder, Heppell, Hocking
I/C: Stanton, Melksham, Myers, Merrett

I guess Howlett's the one missing out in this instance, and I'd be okay with that. I really want to see Hibberd in the midfield but the defence just doesn't look nearly as solid without him there.

Dempsey is the one who has some experience running forward (still remember that game a few years ago where he kicked 2 - 3 goals against Carlton in a night game and was the difference).

The boys in question (Dempsey & Hibberd) will be our starting half backs, but will hopefully become rotations up onto those wings, allowing Stanton, Zaka etc. a rest.

I would have thought van Unen was a more like for like replacement for Baguley.

You wouldnt want our backup ruck doing too much true lead up CHF work. TBC will be exhausted.

Write this down because its all you will need for next year. Carlisle will be our CHF. TBC will play out of the goal square that will be half the time with JoeD next to him.

The only other possible change is Hurley still plays forward and Carlisle switches down back. Both wont play down back we already have Hooker, Fletcher as 3rd key back and that would mean one of those misses each week along with Pears in the VFL which is just ridiculous why strengthen an area where you already have strength and great depth compared to the other position in debate.
I've finally put my finger on why i think what you've said wont actually happen. Simple reason is that JD will force Carlisle out of the team within 3 weeks. They wont drop TBC because he has ruck duties (and is likely to perform as a forward regardless), JD will in all likelihood start the year on fire, leaving Carlisle on chopping block as soon as we need a smaller forward line.
I would back JD to be the more successful forward out of him and Carlisle, which leaves the team structure in disarray. Carlisle cannot be dropped, so instantly we have to change our defense around again.
So it really all depends on how the preseason shapes up for these guys. If Carlisle looks to be streets ahead of JD still, then i'm sure your perspective will be correct. But if JD is looking the better forward, what then? They will just have to back him and build the team around him. He will be 20 years old by the time the season starts, and i very much doubt that it is possible to hold him back any longer. In a way i kind of hope that i'm wrong. It would be convenient if he could just have a modest improvement on last year, leaving Carlisle to take the forward line by storm. But watching him in 2013 as a bean pole and seeing his body starting to look mature now, i think the game has changed.

I would have thought van Unen was a more like for like replacement for Baguley.

He is 'the one' I have the highest expectations on this year (Van Unen). Seems a perfect modern day footballer (can play tall, play small, uses it well, good overhead, quick enough and has that tenacity you need in the modern day).

He is 'the one' I have the highest expectations on this year (Van Unen). Seems a perfect modern day footballer (can play tall, play small, uses it well, good overhead, quick enough and has that tenacity you need in the modern day).

I think it is more that we have genuine depth in the backline with Van Unen, Baguely and Pears all capable of playing that 2nd small defender to help free up Hibberd and really free up Dempsey.

Pears and Van Unen can play a bit taller and be that third tall supporting genuine talls.

There is still Hardingham around and Dalgleish and Edwards will add more cover for Dempsey. Winderlich got vack into form playing that role too.

Hooker, Carlisle, Hurley and Ryder can all play KPD and Fletcher can cover them plus Pears to a small extent.

Furthermore, on match day Goddard, Myers and Heppell can play as that quarter back role.

It's an embarrassment of riches. Obviously the forward line is a mix and match with what is left over.

I am warm to the idea that we pick one KPF and one defensive forward then fill the rest up with resting ruck and mids.

Tall mids can play as 3rd talls Watson and Goddard, players who cop a heavy tag can play out of the goal square and we can pick 3 or 4 quick mids to rotate with one of them in the guts and the rest on a flank or resting on the bench. A fifth one can be played as sub.

I would also love to see us give the defensive forward role to O'Brien. He can develop his tagging and use his ability to lead up.

I will redo a 22 with this in mind.

Ok so I think we need:

Defense:
2 KPD, 1 3rd Tall, 3 small defenders with a variety of attributes.

Forward:
1 KPF, 1 defensive forward

Midfield (rest of the side):
1 tagger. Then we need a good balance of ball winners, ball users, gut runners, cover for the tagger and quick offensive players.

Defense: (6)
Hooker and Carlisle as KPDs. Fletcher as 3rd tall. Hibberd and Dempsey pick themselves. The other one is a tight call between Pears and Baguely for mine. I would pick Pears, who can then slot into Fletcher's role when missing and Baguely is depth for other smalls, as well as Dalgleish, Van Unen and Browne.

Forward: (2)
Still Hurley at this stage for mine. As I said in above post I'm picking O'Brien as the defensive forward who can also lead up to drag his man away.

Midfield:(12)
Watson, Myers and Howlett are the ball winners for mine. Howlett along with O'Brien also means we have three potential taggers in the side. Hocking is the first choice tagger. If he's not used in that role he can play as a pure ball winner.

Working alongside these ball winners I have Goddard, Heppell, Melksham and Stanton. Nothing really needs to be said about that, they all pick themselves too.

Zaharakis, Winderlich, Chapman and Jetta can all play deep forward, high on the flank and as a mid. Colyer and Jetta neck and neck, though neither have really shown that at the top level consistently yet but I think if they're backed in this year and Chapman and Winderlich take a lot of attention away from them they will provide some game breaking moves. If they're not up to the task then this is where Edwards, Merrett, Kav, Hams and the like work their way into the side.

Rucks: (2)
Of course there are two rucks, with one of them up forward most of the time. I want the big body of TBell to take more than 50% and really work over a ruckman like Goldy so that Ryder can jump all over them late in the quarter, or teams that have a weak second ruck (Casboult or Lynch) will be made a mockery of by Ryder.

So I have:

Fletch Hooker Pears
Hibberd Carlisle Dempsey
Stanton Watson Goddard
Zaharakis Hurley Winderlich
Chapman Ryder O'Brien
TBell Hocking Melksham

Myers Heppell Howlett
Jetta

or similarly:

Baguely Hooker Hurley
Hibberd Carlisle Dempsey
Stanton Watson Goddard
Zaharakis Daiher Winderlich
Chapman Ryder O'Brien
TBell Hocking Melksham

Myers Heppell Howlett
J Merret.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ok so I think we need:

Defense:
2 KPD, 1 3rd Tall, 3 small defenders with a variety of attributes.

Forward:
1 KPF, 1 defensive forward

Midfield (rest of the side):
1 tagger. Then we need a good balance of ball winners, ball users, gut runners, cover for the tagger and quick offensive players.

Defense: (6)
Hooker and Carlisle as KPDs. Fletcher as 3rd tall. Hibberd and Dempsey pick themselves. The other one is a tight call between Pears and Baguely for mine. I would pick Pears, who can then slot into Fletcher's role when missing and Baguely is depth for other smalls, as well as Dalgleish, Van Unen and Browne.

Forward: (2)
Still Hurley at this stage for mine. As I said in above post I'm picking O'Brien as the defensive forward who can also lead up to drag his man away.

Midfield:(12)
Watson, Myers and Howlett are the ball winners for mine. Howlett along with O'Brien also means we have three potential taggers in the side. Hocking is the first choice tagger. If he's not used in that role he can play as a pure ball winner.

Working alongside these ball winners I have Goddard, Heppell, Melksham and Stanton. Nothing really needs to be said about that, they all pick themselves too.

Zaharakis, Winderlich, Chapman and Jetta can all play deep forward, high on the flank and as a mid. Colyer and Jetta neck and neck, though neither have really shown that at the top level consistently yet but I think if they're backed in this year and Chapman and Winderlich take a lot of attention away from them they will provide some game breaking moves. If they're not up to the task then this is where Edwards, Merrett, Kav, Hams and the like work their way into the side.

Rucks: (2)
Of course there are two rucks, with one of them up forward most of the time. I want the big body of TBell to take more than 50% and really work over a ruckman like Goldy so that Ryder can jump all over them late in the quarter, or teams that have a weak second ruck (Casboult or Lynch) will be made a mockery of by Ryder.

So I have:

Fletch Hooker Pears
Hibberd Carlisle Dempsey
Stanton Watson Goddard
Zaharakis Hurley Winderlich
Chapman Ryder O'Brien
TBell Hocking Melksham

Myers Heppell Howlett
Jetta

or similarly:

Baguely Hooker Hurley
Hibberd Carlisle Dempsey
Stanton Watson Goddard
Zaharakis Daiher Winderlich
Chapman Ryder O'Brien
TBell Hocking Melksham

Myers Heppell Howlett
J Merret.

This is the team i want to see take the field. O'Brien, Colyer or whoever, i'm not fussed. Even Kommer if he is still improving.

A few pages back i mentioned my little game of awarding 3 level ups to any one or more players coming into the new season. I've had an unorthodox idea this time around that i might give one each to TBC, Ryder and JD. My theory is that i want to award them all to the forward line, and i want to give them out in such a way that allows us to play JD plus the resting ruck as the only talls. 1. So I'm giving one to Ryder which i would split between his forward role and ruck. My idea is that he is unlikely to improve further off his own bat so he needs my assistance ;). That would make him the equal of any ruck in the comp, and get him back as a consistently performing forward.
2. I'd give the level up to TBC entirely to his forward line role. As such he would move from being good as a forward to being a true 45 goal a year target. I expect his rucking to improve regardless of my help.
3. I'd give one to JD and put him at CHF. I think he was already good last year and so giving him one more step up means he would start to become the powerhouse we are waiting for.
I was tempted to leave JD out and give two levels up to TBC making him one of the best forwards in the AFL. But that would leave our team structure vulnerable to requiring Carlisle forward. I also could have left out Ryder, but in some ways he was the one i was most keen to help because i think he has peaked as a player.
I welcome anyone else to come join in my time wasting fantasy, and post their own level up choices! I can personally guarantee it is a complete waste of time and effort :D

I like you summation of Van Unen fishardansin, just think he is in a similar vain to the Geelong backs of those glory years (Tom Harley, Corey Enright, Andrew Mackie, Darren Milburn) as 190cm+ defenders who can play tall or small, uses it well and are strong overhead.

Hence why I would love to see Van Unen pushing Baguley out of the side who is very limited in what he can do. (see Mark Lecras, see Eddie Betts)

No love for Kommer in our best 22?? I thought for his first year he was very impressive/put a lot a pressure on opposition teams.

I like the idea of Kommer and Chapman running a muck in the forward line together, hard and aggressive tackling pressure

I would personally go with this forward line

Zaharakis Daniher Winderlich
Chapman Ryder Kommer

Huge statement of the year number 1.

"If Jason Winderlich stays fit, we will be a lock in the top 4". Assuming everyone else continues with ddevelopment and durability.

I've finally put my finger on why i think what you've said wont actually happen. Simple reason is that JD will force Carlisle out of the team within 3 weeks. They wont drop TBC because he has ruck duties (and is likely to perform as a forward regardless), JD will in all likelihood start the year on fire, leaving Carlisle on chopping block as soon as we need a smaller forward line.
I would back JD to be the more successful forward out of him and Carlisle, which leaves the team structure in disarray. Carlisle cannot be dropped, so instantly we have to change our defense around again.
So it really all depends on how the preseason shapes up for these guys. If Carlisle looks to be streets ahead of JD still, then i'm sure your perspective will be correct. But if JD is looking the better forward, what then? They will just have to back him and build the team around him. He will be 20 years old by the time the season starts, and i very much doubt that it is possible to hold him back any longer. In a way i kind of hope that i'm wrong. It would be convenient if he could just have a modest improvement on last year, leaving Carlisle to take the forward line by storm. But watching him in 2013 as a bean pole and seeing his body starting to look mature now, i think the game has changed.

Must admit didnt read alot after that

Remove this Banner Ad

Best 22 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Back