Best 22 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Im confident that if Jetta played 20 odd games as a deep small forward like he has in the past hed kick at least 20-25 goals.

Which i dont think im confident in Kommer, Dell, Merrett doing the same. Hes also got the ability to set up far more than these guys. Its just whether he creates a big enough difference in goals to what they can offer in defensive pressure.

I also find it amazing that people would say guys like Kommer and Kav have shown more at AFL level compared to that of Jetta. His 2 years as a small forward were actually quite good and considering we lack so much in the area it goes alright. Compared to any other teams its pretty shit/avg. They then tried to turn him into a midfielder who has not got an engine or potential tank anywhere near capable of becoming a midfielder and no longer does he need to be one. He will impact the lineup as a small forward not a midfielder whether thats his best position im not sure.

Its just when they tried to turn him into a midfielder we severely lacked depth and quality. Since then Zacka has transitioned as expected. Myers has finally had a preseason and developed as we expected before. Howlett has become a true foot soldier, Hocking got back to his best form in tagging. We picked up Goddard and Chapman and Heppell became a quality player from the get go and it transitioned into quality midfield work. There is now no longer need for him to be a midfielder.Add to that Stanton took his game to another level and Jobe won a brownlow.

He will never have the engine or the weight/size to do any damage over a consistent period of time there. He can however kick 20-30 goals as a small forward and hand many off to guys in better positions. I hold hope that Merrett can develop quickly and give what Jetta can give in goals but much more in pressure and defense but im not sure that will happen in the first 10 rounds more latter in the year.
I think they wanted to lift jettas work rate by the midfield crash course. I think there are solid signs in the way he now plays that show it worked. However during that period he fell out of favor in a pretty drastic way for reasons unknown. I cannot fathom how he wasn't picked mid to late last season more often. The fact that we was picked behind almost everyone else seemed to destroy his confidence. I got the feeling he was being given a lesson in humility.

Furthermore, I think jetta showed good intensity and intent in the games he did play, but unfortunately not a lot of form. Apparently he dropped his head in the final game of the year? But I didnt see that game.

I agree Keystone agony, and think some people are being a little harsh on Jetta. Hes not a midfielder, and while his form has been a little down it might only be a confidence thing, and that could quickly return if hes played as a small forward off the bench or as a SUB if required.

How hes handled over Pre season and throughout Nab cup and early home and away seasons will be very significant.

People forget that he played every game before he was considered a 'midfielder' and it was as a small forward. Since that time the midfield (read above) has developed and the forward line has dwindled. We have lost small forwards in Monfries, Reimers, Davey even add to that Crameri (not small but a deep forward).

I've come around to someone elses (eth-dog?) idea of starting with Hardy. He is a really good fit for our forward line if we only play two talls. He has the tenacity of a backman so he can replace Kommer in that sense, plus he can fly for a mark and as such gives us that aerial lift. JD gets CHF depending on the opponent, following the principal of protecting him from too much physical attention. TBC or others can take CHF for periods of time. If JD still needs to be managed or loses form then Carlisle slots into the forward line, which opens a spot for Fletch down back. Just quietly, this would be a forward line to worry any opposition team.

B. Baguely Carlisle Hooker
HB. Hibberd, Hurley, Dempsey
C. Goddard Watson Melksham
HF Zaka Daniher Chapman
F. Winderlich Bellchambers Hardingham
R. Ryder, Heppell, Stanton
I. Myers, Howlett, Hocking SUB: Colyer

I never advocated Hardi in the side hurlygurdy but I think he might be handy in the Crameri role if played there.

Do you guys think Essendon will play Chapman whenever fit or rest him and use him more in important matches?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think these 21 guys all deserve a best 22 tag during preseason, based on 2013 performances. Their spot to lose.
B. Baguely Hurley Fletcher
HB. Hibberd, Hooker, Dempsey
HF Zaka Carlisle Chapman
F. Winderlich Bellchambers Kommer
I. Myers, Howlett, Hocking, _______

Preseason training efforts combined with NAB cup performances gives the following guys a chance to take that 22nd spot and to out the guys listed above above.

I see guys like Daniher, Hardingham, J.Merrett, Dalgleish, Colyer, Kavanagh, Browne, Jetta, Pears, Edwards, NOB seem like the most likely contendors to become regular best 22 players, in rough order from most likeliest.

Hams, Gleeson, Ashby, Z.Merrett, have been spruiked as contendors for games, which is encouraging, but doubt they will become regulars yet. Hams and Ashby seems the best chance here.

Dell and Steinberg are getting good preseason reports but both are rookies.

Of the guys in my best 22, the at-risk guys who I think will need to perform in the NAB cup/early season are Kommer, Howlett, Hocking and Baguely.

I'm guessing this is a fantasy footy question. I wouldn't pick Chappy. Injuries are a concern and even if fit, is likely to be managed and rested occasionally.
To be honest I know nothing about fantasy footy, just enjoyed watching him at Geelong. I was surprised when he got a new club but thought he could be a perfect 12-14 game a season if managed correctly.

I think these 21 guys all deserve a best 22 tag during preseason, based on 2013 performances. Their spot to lose.
HF Zaka Carlisle Chapman

Preseason training efforts combined with NAB cup performances gives the following guys a chance to take that 22nd spot and to out the guys listed above above.

I see guys like Daniher, Hardingham, J.Merrett, Dalgleish, Colyer, Kavanagh, Browne, Jetta, Pears, Edwards, NOB seem like the most likely contendors to become regular best 22 players, in rough order from most likeliest.

Hams, Gleeson, Ashby, Z.Merrett, have been spruiked as contendors for debuts, which is encouraging, but doubt they will become regulars yet. Ashby seems the best chance here.

Of the guys in my best 22, the at-risk guys who I think will need to perform in the NAB cup/early season are Kommer, Howlett, Hocking and Baguely.

Find it hard to argue with any of that. With Belly's injury JD is probably straight in for Round 1.

HF Zaka Carlisle Chapman

Hams, Gleeson, Ashby, Z.Merrett, have been spruiked as contendors for debuts, which is encouraging, but doubt they will become regulars yet. Ashby seems the best chance here.

You put Pears in the wrong spot. Given that JD will start, Pears is next in line as most likely to break in.
Old territory, but i'd hope that Kommer is not a given starter this year. Chapman adds enormous accountability to the forward line, plus i can't see what Kommer could offer in comparison to Hardi. Depends how they see things with the forward structure this year, but dumping a whole lot of last years forward line ideas seems enticing to say the least. I'd also rather they put Colyer in there.

You put Pears in the wrong spot. Given that JD will start, Pears is next in line as most likely to break in.
Old territory, but i'd hope that Kommer is not a given starter this year. Chapman adds enormous accountability to the forward line, plus i can't see what Kommer could offer in comparison to Hardi. Depends how they see things with the forward structure this year, but dumping a whole lot of last years forward line ideas seems enticing to say the least. I'd also rather they put Colyer in there.
Yeah I'd like to see Kommer overtaken this year. Hardingham deserves a chance at some point, that's for sure. How quick is he, compared to Kommer?

Yeah I'd like to see Kommer overtaken this year. Hardingham deserves a chance at some point, that's for sure. How quick is he, compared to Kommer?

About the same

Hardingham is not of AFL standard

Yeah, nah. He'd make the back 6 of Adelaide, Brisbane, Carlton, Collingwood, Gold Coast, GWS, Melbourne, North Melbourne, Port Adelaide, St. Kilda, West Coast and Western Bulldogs. Someone who makes the side of 2/3 of the comp is AFL standard.

Hardingham is not of AFL standard
Not sure about this. A year or 2 ago he was playing consistently well at half back, cutting off a lot off opposition forward entries with great spoiling and marking. Got pushed out by guys like Hibberd and Dempsey and has fallen out of our best defenders (handy depth there though).

He deserves the opportunity up forward, after showing bits there, particularly with Crameri gone. If he can become an effective third attacking option, he would be a handy guy to have in the side. On days where he couldn't get into the game, they have the option of sending him to half back and releasing someone like Hibberd to play further up the ground.

Needs a big year though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Best 22 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Back