Best 22 - 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

What about macaf in the forward 50.. guaranteed 25 goals.. high pressure.. disciplined.. throw his big frame around. I would seriously love him up there again. He's older and smarter and performed admirably as a kid in 2010 up front.

How is he guaranteed to kick 25 goals when his career best is 16?o_O

How can Toovey still be best 22 with all our young gun defenders?

Terrible skills and his stopping ability is getting worse.

It's his last year for mine

Will need him for much longer than 2016, Tooves will go close to 200 games if he stays injury free.

But unfortunately for Tooves, as much as I love him, I don't think our next Premiership team will have Toovey or Goldsack in it.

A lot hinges on where Reid plays. Let's face it. If he's a forward, one/two of white/Moore/Howe miss out. If he's a back then one of Maynard/Marsh/Frost miss out.

My thoughts are that bucks will chuck Reid down back all year.
My hope is Frost who now has 44 games behind him will continue to develop as a KPB and Marsh looks an ideal 3rd tall down back. If that happens Reid is freed to be a permanent forward and suddenly our forward line looks dangerous.

The pattern that Buckley follows each season is consistent and I don't see it changing next year either.

Starts the season full of the most senior aged players in the team, if they got enough game time during pre season games.

Then as the rounds pass by they are heavily scrutinized and eventually replaced with a younger player for that role.
What this has done over the last few years has built an amazing group of players outside the 22 that can easily slot in like nothing happened.

So I've split my 22 into two teams, what I believe Buckley will start 2016 with, the older team vs what it will probably end up being by the end of 2016.

Older team - Round 1 2016 (BTW this is roughly oldest to youngest, I know Langdon, who is 23rd will play, remember, oldest to youngest.)

1. Swan
2. Cloke
3. Toovey
4. Goldsack
5. Pendlbury
6. White
7. Macaffer
8. Varcoe
9. Brown
10. Reid
11. Greenwood
12. Blair
13. Sidebottom
14. Sinclair
15. Frost
16. Fasolo
17. Elliott
18. Williams
19. Crisp
20. Treloar
21. Adams
22. Grundy
23 Langdon

* Witts and Oxley have been left out, they would be around the Elliott/Willaims age mark, 17/18
But I left them out as I see them being most likely to make way for younger guys like Treloar, Adams and Grundy.

Depending on pre season fitness and form I expect most of these 22/23 to play round 1 2016.

Players that are likely to play round 2 or 3 I think are: De Goey, Howe, Witts, Moore, Maynard, Marsh, Scharenberg, Broomhead, Aish

Damn that is some nice depth now, Oxley and Ramsay great backup for Sinclair or Williams small defender role.

Now.

What I think the 22 will look like at the end of 2016.

1. Swan
2. Cloke
3. Toovey - Maynard pushing hard for this spot.
4. Goldsack - Marsh probably pushes Goldsack out.
5. Pendlbury
6. White - Moore and Howe rotating and shuffling around this spot, finding the best match with Cloke.
7. Macaffer
8. Varcoe
9. Brown
10. Greenwood
11. Reid
12. Blair - De Goey will most likely keep Blair out by the end of 2016, nothing against Blair, love him, but I just see De Goey going passed him.
13. Sidebottom
14. Sinclair - If Sinclair stays injury free he will silence those who doubt him, I can see why Bucks loves him, quick, aggressive & disciplined.
But if his hamstrings continue to be a problem then Aish is the logical replacement.
15. Frost
16. Fasolo
17. Elliott
18. Williams
19. Crisp
20. Treloar
21. Adams
22. Grundy - Witts will of course play some of the season to give Grundy a rest, Grundy proved in 2015 he is our no. 1 ruck for the future.
23 Langdon - Scharenberg won't be pushing Langdon out but I think Scharenberg can play a back 6 lock down role well enough to enable Langdon to run loose and apply his elite reading and marking further up the wing.

Ramsay and Broomhead will get games too, they showed awesome promise during 2015. All these kids are super quick, it's exciting.

End of 2016 player predictions.

Goodyear - delisted
Oxley - traded

I know there will be a couple more, just these ones right now seem most obvious, happy to be proven wrong.

Go Pies.

A lot hinges on where Reid plays. Let's face it. If he's a forward, one/two of white/Moore/Howe miss out. If he's a back then one of Maynard/Marsh/Frost miss out.
Reid and Howe in the same side gives us flexibility to swap them around if required.

Frost is a player I think will surprise a few next year. As a young KPB still on 44 career games he has been thrown to the wolves a bit in his 1st 2 seasons. He has had to learn the job while often playing against the best forwards in the comp. We always talk about players needing 50 games to feel comfortable at the level and begin to shine. He was never given the chance to ease in . I think that should be considered when people worry about his lack of attacking capability so far.

He has speed, good size, great closing and good athleticism. As his experience grows I think you will see his game expand and he will add to his performance. I am hoping he will hold down CHB this year and release Reid forward where Cloke, Reidand Moore could provide real opposition concerns.

Good point on Frosty still only having 44 games. His defending wasn't great this year but that should still improve. For me the worry is that he completely craps himself whenever he has to take possession of the ball though. So not even talking attacking capability here, simply talking any disposal, and that's just not good enough for me to want him in the team (ie good depth only).

Also, we only have three KPDs really in Reid, Brown & Frost (Marsh, Schaz etc likely taking the non-power fwds), and Reid is clearly the best of those. Up forward we have Cloke, White, Moore, Howe, Fasolo & Elliott as marking targets now, so I really don't think we need Reid up forward but we do need him down back.

The best 22?

The best part now is that the players not making the 22 to me is an indication of good depth
PLUS the newbies and young ones ate now putting pressure on the old guard
That is the good news.....
Look at who is getting pushed out, thats so good because you have to earn your spot

Best 22
B. Williams ~ Brown ~ Langdon
HB. Scharenberg ~ Marsh ~ Maynard
C. Sidebottom ~ Trelloar ~ De Goey
HF. Moore ~ Reid ~ Howe
F. Elliot ~ Cloke ~ Crisp
R. Grundy ~ Pendlebury (c) ~ Swan
I. Varcoe ~ Greenwood ~ Adams ~ Aish

E. Witts, Broomhead, Fasolo

Depth this is agood indicator to me:

B. Sinclair ~ Goldsack ~ Toovey
HB. Macaffer ~ Frost ~ Ramsay
C. Oxley ~ Blair ~ Goodyear
HF. Fasolo ~ White ~ Abbott
F. Gault ~ Cox ~ DRAFT one this year
R. Witts ~ Broomhead ~ ???
I. Etc

E. keefe, thomas, naughty list
I like that our back up squad could beat Carlton in 2016.

Good point on Frosty still only having 44 games. His defending wasn't great this year but that should still improve. For me the worry is that he completely craps himself whenever he has to take possession of the ball though. So not even talking attacking capability here, simply talking any disposal, and that's just not good enough for me to want him in the team (ie good depth only).

Also, we only have three KPDs really in Reid, Brown & Frost (Marsh, Schaz etc likely taking the non-power fwds), and Reid is clearly the best of those. Up forward we have Cloke, White, Moore, Howe, Fasolo & Elliott as marking targets now, so I really don't think we need Reid up forward but we do need him down back.

Well said.. I don't believe Jack Frost or Toovey are in our best 22 going forward, it sounds like a hard call but you can't afford 1 let alone 2 defenders who are terrible decision makers/ horrible kick deep in defence hence the reason pendles was deployed down back late in the year. I think Maynard is being groomed to replace toovs and marsh will be preferred over frost who sits comfortably behind Reid & Brown..

I think jesse White will play a role at some point as Moore is still very young and we can't use him a 2nd ruck too often or we will ruin him.

Lots of experience left out of the team remembering that we pushing at 2017 more than 2016

I still believe Aish will need to prove himself similar to Adams in his first season in black and white

My best 22

B- Wiiliams Brown Marsh
HB- Varcoe Reid Langdon
C- Crisp Adams Sidebottom
HF- Swan Cloke Howe
F- Fasolo Moore Elliott
FOLL- Grundy Pendles Treloar
Int- Greenwood DeGoey Scharenberg Blair

Depth chart
Maynard
White
Wits
Ramsay
Oxley
Toovey
Frost
Goldsack
Macaffer
Aish

I also crap myself whenever he has to take possession of the ball.

I think that has a lot to do with being inexperienced and being asked to take on the best key forwards since he was a novice. From early on he played well above what you could reasonably expect and I think expectations became unrealistic. I think his disposal will improve a lot in 2016.

Ok, had a crack at our Best 22 and gee it's tough, lots of guys I left out could be switched with guys I put in.

Looking at the teams we picked in 2015, we tended to go with 7 backs (2 KPDs, 1-2 mid def, 3-4 small def/running defs), 5 marking fwds, 9 mids including 2-3 who rotate up fwd & put pressure on (eg Blair/Varcoe) & 1 pure ruck.

Using that template, my attempt is:

B: Scharenberg, Brown, Toovey
HB: Marley, Reid, Oxley
C: Crisp, Sidebottom, Treloar
HF: Howe, Cloke, Elliott
F: Varcoe, White, Moore
R: Grundy, Pendlebury, Adams
Int: Greenwood, De Goey, Swan, Maynard

Backline could have Langdon, Goldsack, Sinclair or Marsh in somewhere potentially - Bucks seems to like Sinclair when he's fit, could easily replace Maynard. Langdon's decision-making and disposal isn't good enough yet for me and I think he got the spot that Scharenberg would've had in Round 1, 2014, if he was fit. I'm hoping Schaz takes that spot back from him next year. Given our midfield depth it's possible that we rotate guys like Sidey, Pendles, Aish or similar through that backline area a bit and If so then perhaps Oxley doesn't play. Langdon/Sinclair might then take Ox's spot above, or maybe a Broomhead if needing an extra mid instead. Goldsack stiff.

Fwds could maybe have Fasolo/Blair. We seem to like playing 5 marking forwards, so at least one of Cloke/White/Moore/Elliott/Howe/Fasolo has to miss out, and that's not even considering a 2nd ruckman. White seems our only r/f at this stage so I've put him in; don't really want Moore playing 2nd ruck at this age for a full season. Fas may replace Moore early on too, with Moore eventually to take White's spot again. I have Reid as our best KPD and plenty of marking fwds already so Reidy stays back. One of Reid/Moore has to be a defender for us this year I reckon.

Not too many mids left out, being Macaffer, Goodyear, Broomhead & Aish. I'm annoyed at having to leave Broomhead out as he looks really good and is improving a lot. Guys like Oxley, Langdon (who has been talked up as a mid/winger eventually by Hine), Marley, maybe Howe on wing as suggested, may need to go through mids too with any injuries.

Witts gets games but hopefully not when in same side as Grundy.

Also depends on how our season goes. When season was over we were getting games into guys like Marsh & Scharenberg this year even though there was no role for them (ie we played one defender too many). If we are playing to win next year then our lineup obv different to if simply giving games.

Fun times going through it all, so many interchangeable parts that you could change half the team I wrote down and I wouldn't be too surprised :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like that our back up squad could beat Carlton in 2016.
How sweet

And remember whatever Collingwood does if Carlton wins the wooden spoon itsstill a successful year

I think that has a lot to do with being inexperienced and being asked to take on the best key forwards since he was a novice. From early on he played well above what you could reasonably expect and I think expectations became unrealistic. I think his disposal will improve a lot in 2016.

That's a fair call (on expectations after good start). I haven't watched him back when he was in VFL, how was his disposal then? (if you know) Assume he'd be a bit more comfortable and have a bit more time in VFL so curious if it's better there.

Will need him for much longer than 2016, Tooves will go close to 200 games if he stays injury free.

But unfortunately for Tooves, as much as I love him, I don't think our next Premiership team will have Toovey or Goldsack in it.
The fact that you g people are coming through putting pressure on possum tooves and goldsack is a wonderful sign.
Same for blair and macaffer.

What is sometimes forgotten about the golden sack is he was in effect the 23rd playersekected for our flag year (replacing davis in the replay)

My hope is Frost who now has 44 games behind him will continue to develop as a KPB and Marsh looks an ideal 3rd tall down back. If that happens Reid is freed to be a permanent forward and suddenly our forward line looks dangerous.
The great calue Reid fully fit brings as a forward is he being a real foil to cloke.
Cloke always plays best with a strong capable second tall.

Imagine if you will. Cloke with Reid
Support act Moore running around
Then Elliot with Howe streaming through via the wing and half forward

Sounds promising doesnt it

Sinclair Brown Williams
Scharenberg Reid Pendlebury
Varcoe Treloar De Goey
Howe Cloke Swan
Elliott Moore Fasolo
Grundy Sidebottom Adams

Int Aish Crisp Langdon Greenwood

Got enough midfield depth to be starting Pendles back taking control of the back line, some we have really missed since Maxy left. Sinclair if fit will be able to provide the run and carry we need out of defense.
Only the two genuine talks in the forward line, but at their best the others can all play a lot taller than they are.
A hell of a lot of midfield depth with the ability for plenty of rotations with the forwards and backs which will be a key with the reduced interchange.
My only question marks are really over the two new boys Howe and Aish, if they can hit the ground running show some improvement and gel with the squad we will be onto some winners there, so giving them the benefit of the doubt and putting them in!
Finally how good does it look that you can take Pendles and Swanny out of the midfield and still have a top class explosive middle!! Call me Big Kev but I'm excited!!!

Sinclair Brown Williams
Scharenberg Reid Pendlebury
Varcoe Treloar De Goey
Howe Cloke Swan
Elliott Moore Fasolo
Grundy Sidebottom Adams

Int Aish Crisp Langdon Greenwood

Got enough midfield depth to be starting Pendles back taking control of the back line, some we have really missed since Maxy left. Sinclair if fit will be able to provide the run and carry we need out of defense.
Only the two genuine talks in the forward line, but at their best the others can all play a lot taller than they are.
A hell of a lot of midfield depth with the ability for plenty of rotations with the forwards and backs which will be a key with the reduced interchange.
My only question marks are really over the two new boys Howe and Aish, if they can hit the ground running show some improvement and gel with the squad we will be onto some winners there, so giving them the benefit of the doubt and putting them in!
Finally how good does it look that you can take Pendles and Swanny out of the midfield and still have a top class explosive middle!! Call me Big Kev but I'm excited!!!
Ahem, taking out your best mid who is pure silk and placing him back seems a gross waste.
Best mids pkay mid for mind.
They can help down back sometimes but we have the bergermeister to do the old maxy roll
And others likemaynard, williams, marsh to be their own generals.

The great calue Reid fully fit brings as a forward is he being a real foil to cloke.
Cloke always plays best with a strong capable second tall.

Imagine if you will. Cloke with Reid
Support act Moore running around
Then Elliot with Howe streaming through via the wing and half forward

Sounds promising doesnt it

I like that plan. Only difference is I see Elliott and Fasolo as the 2 incumbents who Howe has to knock out to get a game. Howe has only an average CV for an AFL player despite his ability to take a hanger. He will have to step up from the player he was at Melb to be sure of a spot.

Think Bucks doing the Smith/Gunston reference has given him a standing he doesn't have. Hopefully he can become that player.

Ahem, taking out your best mid who is pure silk and placing him back seems a gross waste.
They can help down back sometimes but we have the bergermeister to do the old maxy roll
Agree 100%

Point taken, but I feel the game has changed to the point where half backs and half forwards are pseudo on ballers anyway. I think it would be great to have the hard inside gut busting clearance winners in the guts to win the ball get it out and set up to the silk to get it down into the forward line.
He would still see plenty of time in the middle but starting him half back would give us a role like hodge plays so effectively (apart from being a dirty campaigner) and as much as I love Pendles he's set shots are a weakness so I think he is better suited playing further back than forward where we can use his skill, vision and precision to set up the forwards.
Well that's my opinion anyways, which don't matter a bit as I'll leave the decision making up to bucks and the boys!!

Round 1 2016 Best 22
B: Sinclair, Brown, Williams
HB: Langdon, Reid, Scharenberg
C: Sidebottom, Adams, Crisp
HF: Howe, Moore, Elliott
F: Fasolo, Cloke, White
R: Grundy, Treloar, Pendlebury
Bench: Greenwood, Swan, Varcoe, De Goey

Backline looks a balance of pace and skill, but could lack a 3rd tall so Marsh could interchange with either Sinclair or Scharenberg. Mids are certainly our strongest point. The depth is absolutely ridiculous and several of them under 24 and will grow with more games under their belt. I've put White in the team simply because Moore can't be getting smashed in the ruck and maintain good forward play as he'll fatigued considerably.

Depth Rankings:
1. Aish - With everyone healthy, can't put him ahead of guys with proven track records in the midfield. Will have to prove himself.
2. Broomhead - Easily could come in for any of the 3 mid-small forwards. Him and Sidey are the best 2 crumbers in our team.
3. Marsh - If Bucks opts for 3 talls back he'll play. Showed a lot in his limited games last season.
4. Maynard - First in line for a small defender spot. Need's some more fine tuning in his defensive capabilities as he gave away a few too many goals last season.
5. Oxley - Had a great first half of the year last season. If he can replicate it he'll be very much in contention.
6. Witts - Back up ruck. Can't play in the team unless Grundy is injured. Just to slow to carry him with the limited interchanges.
7. Frost - Probably behind Marsh now, but very handy depth as he has shown he can play effectively on guys like Buddy and Cameron.
8. Ramsay - Similar to Oxley in having a great first half of the season. Probably needs to find his feet in the VFL again but wouldn't be surprised if he pushes Sinclair for his position.
9. Goldsack - Doesn't offer enough forward in terms of goal scoring ability and isn't a great 1v1 defender. Will provide leadership but cannot see him playing.
10. Blair - He'll get games as Bucks' love child, but isn't best 22. Similar to Goldsack in just not kicking goals consistently.
11. Macaffer - Caff could work his way up the depth chart, but he probably isn't required apart from if there is a catastrophic injury toll in the midfield.
12. Toovey - Good leadership but he's done. Can't kick, lost his closing speed and the younger guys have past him in both those categories.
13. Goodyear - Didn't show much last season but had some good games later in the season. Needs to improve considerably to avoid been delisted.

I don't think the problem is disposal or defending with Frost. It's that he fumbles too often. It buys the attacker time. If he even had average handling skills, he'd be a gun. He will get plenty of chances to prove himself with our dearth of key backs and even if Keefe gets back on 2017, well....he is a dud. Like Sinclair, he has good attributes but terrible positioning undoes it all.

My team (but who the hell knows)!

Marsh, Brown, Langdon
Scharenberg, Reid, Williams
Varcoe, Pendlebury, Crisp
Sidebottom, Cloke, Elliott
Howe, Moore, Fasolo

Ruck: Grundy, Treloar, Adams
Int: Greenwood, White, Swan, De Goey

Eme: Aish, Broomhead, Witts

For those who ask I do rate Aish and I'm sure he'll push in. We just have a lot of depth right now. It's exciting.

I'm not sure Frosty has much improvement in him sadly, maybe a little composure with ball in hand? His pace, spoiling and reading of the play are already good

Remove this Banner Ad

Best 22 - 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Back