INT: Jason Laycock, Angus Monfries, Andrew Welsh, Scott Gumbleton

B: Tom Hislop, Mal Michael, Dustin Fletcher

HB: Jay Nash, Patrick Ryder, Nathan Lovett-Murray

C: Jason Winderlich, Brent Stanton, Angus Monfries

HF: Adam McPhee, Scott Gumbleton, Andrew Lovett

F: Alwyn Davey, Matthew Lloyd, Scott Lucas

FOL: David Hille, Jobe Watson, Mark McVeigh

INT: Jason Laycock, Adam Ramanauskas, Andrew Welsh, Damien Peverill

Dempsey has not shown enough to be an automatic choice, nor has Gumbleton, but I think the team would work best with him at CHF and Lloyd/Lucas closer to goal. There seems to be more depth this season than most. Hard not to fit JJ into the team, but if injuries occour I would expect him to come into the side.

B: Tom Hislop, Mal Michael, Dustin Fletcher

HB: Jay Nash, Patrick Ryder, Nathan Lovett-Murray

C: Jason Winderlich, Brent Stanton, Angus Monfries

HF: Adam McPhee, Scott Gumbleton, Andrew Lovett

F: Alwyn Davey, Matthew Lloyd, Scott Lucas

FOL: David Hille, Jobe Watson, Mark McVeigh

INT: Jason Laycock, Adam Ramanauskas, Andrew Welsh, Damien Peverill

Dempsey has not shown enough to be an automatic choice, nor has Gumbleton, but I think the team would work best with him at CHF and Lloyd/Lucas closer to goal. There seems to be more depth this season than most. Hard not to fit JJ into the team, but if injuries occour I would expect him to come into the side.

if dempsey hasn't shown enough, how is hislop in your side???

also if you have heard any knights interviews he has said that the kids will be given plenty of opportunities. this means that pev will struggle to get a game if we don't have too many injuries

finally, when dempsey starts dominating matches, you won't be allowed on the bandwagon.........DEMPSEY!!!!!

B: Fletcher, Michael, Welsh
HB: Lovett- Murray, Ryder, Nash
C: Monfries, Winderlich, Houli
HF: McPhee, Lucas, McVeigh
F: Davey, Lloyd, Jetta
FOLL: Hille, Stanton, Watson
I/C: Laycock, Myers, Dempsey, Gumbleton
EMG: Pears, Slattery, Hislop

B: Slattery, Michael, Lovett-Murray
HB: Nash, Fletcher, Ramanauskas
C: Lovett, J Johnson, Winderlich
HF: McPhee, Lucas, Welsh
FOLL: Laycock, Stanton, McVeigh
I/C: Ryder, Monfries, Dempsey, Watson

I haven't picked emergencies, because you could easily pick 10.
There are a lot of blokes you can make claims for, which is a good sign.

I expect Myers, Neagle, Gumby and Hocking to play a fair bit of footy this year.

It's interesting that everyone has Jason Johnson and Pev out of their side and only one person put Rama in (on the bench).

I think that there is a walk up start for a defensive mid fielder for team balance. All the posted midfields go one way far too much. I hope Slattery can do the running required, if he can't maybe Hocking can be that player or Nash. If Slattery goes to the mid field that leaves a vacancy in the back pocket. For development Gumby gets picked for best 22 I don't think he is there, we seemed to go better with a slightly smaller side.

B Rama, Fletcher Michael
HB Nash Ryder NLM
C Winderlich Watson Mc Veigh
HF McPhee Lucas Lovett
F Davy Lloyd Jetta
R Laycock, Stanton Slattery
B Hille, Monfries, Dempsey, JJ

HB: McPhee, Fletcher, Ryder

C: Winderlich, Watson, Lovett

HF: Gumbleton, Lucas, Welsh

F: Monfries, Lloyd, Davey

R: Laycock, McVeigh, Stanton

Int: Hille, Nash, Dempsey, Hislop

Emg: Jetta, Myers, Houli

Obviously you rarely have your best 22 fit and able, but I think we have three good emergencies there. Plus the services of some veterans in Pev and JJ and some kids like Reimers, Pears, Hocking and Daniher.

I really hope that we start to see some pressure on blokes making the team so much so that good players are missing out. We have not had that for 2-3 years and it is imperitive in keeping the whole squad on their toes.

FB: Ryder Michael Rama
HB: Nash Fletcher NLM
C: Stanton Watson Lovett
HF: McPhee Lucas Welsh
FF: Davey Lloyd Jetta
R: Laycock McVeigh Winderlich
I/C: Hille JJ Dempsey Monfries

Didn't go with Slattery because I have concerns over his pace in defence and think McVeigh is a better midfield run with player.

Had to do a bit of shuffling about because I really wanted Winder on ball. We've lacked a burst player in the centre square for a while, and he's not bad in close. Hopefully Dempsey steps up to this role by the end of the season too.

B: Slattery - Michael - Fletcher
HB: Nash - Ryder - Lovett-Murray
C: Winderlich - Watson - Lovett
HF: McPhee - Lucas - Welsh
F: Davey - Lloyd - Jetta

FOLL: Laycock - McVeigh - Stanton

I/C: Hille - Ramanauskas - Monfries - Gumbleton

(Log in to remove this ad.)

B: Slattery - Michael - Fletcher
HB: Nash - Ryder - Lovett-Murray
C: Winderlich - Watson - Lovett
HF: McPhee - Lucas - Welsh
F: Davey - Lloyd - Jetta

FOLL: Laycock - McVeigh - Stanton

I/C: Hille - Ramanauskas - Monfries - Gumbleton

I know this thread is about what our best 22 is but I guess there is a difference between our best 22 players on paper and what is the best 22 to fast track the next premiership.

Based on this side we could expect not only to finish well and truly toward the bottom but to make minimal progress in terms of player development next year. This is more or less the same side fully fit from last year less our best player - Hird.

If we don't give significant game time to Houli, Dempsey, Hissy, Myers, Riemers, etc we are doing nothing more than treading water. When you're in the bottom few sides in the comp, you need to be doing more than treading water.

We've got the perfect opportunity to play Houli, Dempsey, Myers, Hislop etc who will be the next batch that win us a GF.

HB: Nash, Fletcher, Ramanauskas
C: Lovett, J Johnson, Winderlich
HF: McPhee, Lucas, Welsh
FOLL: Laycock, Stanton, McVeigh
I/C: Ryder, Monfries, Dempsey, Watson

I haven't picked emergencies, because you could easily pick 10.
There are a lot of blokes you can make claims for, which is a good sign.

I expect Myers, Neagle, Gumby and Hocking to play a fair bit of footy this year.

It's interesting that everyone has Jason Johnson and Pev out of their side and only one person put Rama in (on the bench).

Surely Ryder and Watson are both in our starting 18?

Based on this side we could expect not only to finish well and truly toward the bottom but to make minimal progress in terms of player development next year. This is more or less the same side fully fit from last year less our best player - Hird.

There are 8 players in that side with less than 50 games.
Plus Watson, Monfries, NLM and Stanton with not too many more.

That's a lot of inexperience and scope for improvement.

Surely Ryder and Watson are both in our starting 18?

There's no such thing as a starting 18.
It changes each week based on match ups and rotations.

The bench isn't your 19th-22nd players anymore, it's an extention of your midfield.

On that point i have put together an analysis of our list on age and experience at round 1 of next year and it makes for some very interesting viewing.

It's short 2 players so after the PSD next week i will put it up in our Training sub forum for everyone to have a look at.

I can guarantee you it will make for some interesting discussion.

The bench isn't your 19th-22nd players anymore, it's an extention of your midfield.

I understand what you are saying and i do agree but isn't that taking things a little too literally for this thread? I think the idea of this thread is to pick the best starting line up (i know the title says best 22) and the most likely interchange.

I would be quite shocked if we saw Ryder starting on the bench at anytime next year.

I liked you team but i would swap Ryder with Rama and Watson for JJ.

Not argueing that some of these guys under 50 games will improve however that side is not the best side for us to play in order to get to the next flag.

Our '05, '06 and to a lesser extend Myers from 07 draftees need to be injected into the side next year in a meaningful way in order for us to really make some headroad on the competition.

That sides midfield is still ordinary. We need to develop these guys that will become a really good midfield.

Not argueing that some of these guys under 50 games will improve however that side is not the best side for us to play in order to get to the next flag.

Our '05, '06 and to a lesser extend Myers from 07 draftees need to be injected into the side next year in a meaningful way in order for us to really make some headroad on the competition.

That sides midfield is still ordinary. We need to develop these guys that will become a really good midfield.
This thread is about our best 22 next year, not our best 22 for 3-5 years time.
Guys like Houli, Hislop, Myers etc aren't in our best 22 for 08. They'll get games no doubt, and over the next couple of years work their way into being starting players, but currently they still have work to do.

This thread is about our best 22 next year, not our best 22 for 3-5 years time.
Guys like Houli, Hislop, Myers etc aren't in our best 22 for 08. They'll get games no doubt, and over the next couple of years work their way into being starting players, but currently they still have work to do.

That all depends on what you're trying to achieve. If you are trying to play the best you can possibly play with the players you have available then you are correct.

If you are trying to develop a side that will challenge for a flag in the next 3 - 5 years then your best 22 - to achieve that objective will be different.

This is my point. I would like to think that our key objective next year should be development. Whether or not that translates into wins, i'm not to fussed about. I would much rather finish 15th or 16th getting a full year of experience into many of our young kids than finish 10th playing the exact same best 22 from last year and not getting games into Jetta, Houli, Hislop, Riemers, Gulmbleton, Myers, Neagle, Dempsey, etc.

There needs to be a balance I know however it would be a total waste of a year if hypothetically we played that 'best 22' every week.

That all depends on what you're trying to achieve. If you are trying to play the best you can possibly play with the players you have available then you are correct.

If you are trying to develop a side that will challenge for a flag in the next 3 - 5 years then your best 22 - to achieve that objective will be different.

This is my point. I would like to think that our key objective next year should be development. Whether or not that translates into wins, i'm not to fussed about. I would much rather finish 15th or 16th getting a full year of experience into many of our young kids than finish 10th playing the exact same best 22 from last year and not getting games into Jetta, Houli, Hislop, Riemers, Gulmbleton, Myers, Neagle, Dempsey, etc.

There needs to be a balance I know however it would be a total waste of a year if hypothetically we played that 'best 22' every week.
If we want to achieve finals in 08, then Houli, Hislop, Myers, Reimers etc aren't our best options. That's what I'm guessing this thread is about... Fielding a best 22 that can push for finals in 08. Not so much the long term.

B: Andrew Welsh, Mal Michael, Nathan Lovett-Murray

HB: Jay Nash, Dustin Fletcher, Paddy Ryder

C: Jason Winderlich, Jobe Watson, Angus Monfries

HF: Andrew Lovett, Scott Lucas, Adam Mcphee

F: Alwyn Davey, Matthew Lloyd, Courtenay Dempsey

FOL: David Hille, Brent Stanton, Mark McVeigh

INT: Jason Laycock, Leroy Jetta, Henry Slattery, Jason Johnson

He had Dempsey and Ryder in from 05.
Lonergan and Neagle not in.

Half of the draft.

He had Jetta, Davey and Gumby in from 06.
Houli, Hislop and Reimers not in.

So that's 50% of our draftees from the last two season.

Monfries and Slattery in.
Lee and Thomas (gone) not in.

50% from the last three drafts.

It's hard to place our latest draftees in our best side.

At anyone time we'd have 3-5 injuries, all those out of the best 22 are young players with the exception of Pev.

We'll be playing plenty of kids...

B: Henry Slattery, Mal Michael, Nathan Lovett-Murray

HB: Jay Nash, Dustin Fletcher, Paddy Ryder

C: Jason Winderlich, Jobe Watson, Adam Mcphee

HF: Andrew Lovett, Scott Lucas, Angus Monfries

F: Alwyn Davey, Matthew Lloyd, Leroy Jetta

FOL: David Hille, Brent Stanton, Mark McVeigh

INT: Jason Laycock, Courtenay Dempsey, Andrew Welsh, Scott Gumbleton

Spot on!:thumbsu:

Only thing i would change would be swapping Lovett and Mcphee.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back