In that case I think this squad is more appropriate:
B:Hislop Michael Fletcher
HB: Lovett-Murray Gumbleton McVeigh
C: McPhee Stanton Lovett
HF: Davey Lucas Myers
F: Jetta Lloyd Neagle
R: Ryder Winderlich Monfries
Int: Nash Pears Rama Laycock

Gumbleton is far more physically ready to play CHB than Myers.

Ok, I haven't looked through this entire thread, so this may already have been asked.

Who do we think should be in the centre square for centre bounces?

I know a lot of people just presume those that are named on the ball and in the centre do so, but this isn't always the case.

Personally: Laycock/Hille, Jobe, Winder, Mcveigh.

B: Slattery Michael Lovett-Murray
HB: Nash Ryder McVeigh
C: Winderlich Hocking Dempsey
HF: McPhee Gumbleton Lovett
F: Lucas Lloyd Davey
Foll: Laycock Watson Stanton
I/C: Welsh Hille Jetta Winderlich

Emer: Dyson Rama Houli

About 10 others around the mark too. Good signs.

Ok, I haven't looked through this entire thread, so this may already have been asked.

Who do we think should be in the centre square for centre bounces?

I know a lot of people just presume those that are named on the ball and in the centre do so, but this isn't always the case.

Personally: Laycock/Hille, Jobe, Winder, Mcveigh.

Hille's a very important clearance player for us. I hesitate to say he plays as an "extra midfielder" (which appears to be the current buzzword) - with his pace & disposal - but he racks up the clearance stats of a mid

I would start off with Hille in there with Stants, Winders & Watson*
& then move McVeigh, Laycock, Monfries, Lovett, JJ*, Slattery, Pev* & Ryder through there. The only one of the young young guys I'd want to push in there would be Jetta, I reckon he's got that intangible skill of being able to rove a tap - time his run past the ruck contest to grab the ball at full speed. A la J Akermanis

* While I'd probably like to see only two of Watson, JJ & Pev in the 22 any given week, we do have a reasonably formidable clearance "engine room".

The problem will be getting the rucks to link with the inside mids (can't count the number of times Hille hit the ball onto the ground & then picked it up and cleared it) & the inside mids to link with the quicker blokes. & Hopefully getting an increase in defensive pressure across the ground.

No love for Johnson?

Is that because you guys no you won't do anything special within the next two years and want to blood youngsters, or simply because he is no longer good enough?

Past his best. I see him as a mentor for the youngsters at Bendigo and will have a role there in the next 12 mths.

In that case I think this squad is more appropriate:
B:Hislop Michael Fletcher
HB: Lovett-Murray Gumbleton McVeigh
C: McPhee Stanton Lovett
HF: Davey Lucas Myers
F: Jetta Lloyd Neagle
R: Ryder Winderlich Monfries
Int: Nash Pears Rama Laycock

Gumbleton is far more physically ready to play CHB than Myers.

here is mine

B: slattery,micheal,ryder
HB: lovett-murray,fletcher,welsh
C: windelich,stanton,lovett
HF: davey,lucas,mcphee
F: mcveigh,lloyd,gumbleton
FOLL: hille,watson,monfries.
INTER: laycock,nash,jetta,dempsey
EMERG: peverill,houli,myers

It's because Essendon supporters are fickle.

Or they have been on bigfooty too long and hav ebeen caught up in the play the kids at all costs hype.

JJ if he gets fit and confident will be in our best 22. The thing I hope to see this year is him rotating regularly off the bench. If he does that, he will be very crucial, especially minus one J Hird in the middle

Use JJ as a battering ram off the bench
He can still dominate, just not whole matches
But used smartly he'll be a great burst player for a quarter here & there
It's not like we're overflowing with match-ready inside mids

EDIT: *HERETIC* He can take Hirdy's spot for inside mid who can't kick & won't run both ways*/HERETIC*

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Only things I'd change - Reimers & Hocking in to the squad. Probably less need for Pevalenko now

Well done. You're really showing your inventiveness and going out on a lim by selecting the same players who have lead us to the bottom of the ladder over the last few years.

Well done. You're really showing your inventiveness and going out on a lim by selecting the same players who have lead us to the bottom of the ladder over the last few years.
Unlike some I'm not just picking the blokes who had a good game last night
The only players IMHO who look physically ready to push players out of the best 22 I've stated above
There's already been enough change around the club without ditching half the list
If Dempsey, Dyso, Houli continue their good form - then they'll be pushing guys out (Welsh, Slattery) as well. If I'm a selector then I'm not going to base too much on 1 pre-season game vs an underdone opponent

Unlike some I'm not just picking the blokes who had a good game last night
The only players IMHO who look physically ready to push players out of the best 22 I've stated above
There's already been enough change around the club without ditching half the list
If Dempsey, Dyso, Houli continue their good form - then they'll be pushing guys out (Welsh, Slattery) as well. If I'm a selector then I'm not going to base too much on 1 pre-season game vs an underdone opponent

No mate, I'm going on the last 3 years of terrible performances.

With regard to Dyson. Played ordinarily last night. If you looked at his turn over rate it was exceptionally high. Nothing much seems to have changed in my opinion. Many seem to look at the stats sheet and rate players based on that. His impact on the game was very low.

Thats what I was thinking. We definitely need to put in new faces into the side. Houli, Reimers, Dempsey, Dyson, Hocking, Gumbleton, Neagle etc. should all be given game time.

With regard to Dyson. Played ordinarily last night. If you looked at his turn over rate it was exceptionally high. Nothing much seems to have changed in my opinion. Many seem to look at the stats sheet and rate players based on that. His impact on the game was very low.

While you base your opinion on virtually nothing and refuse to give credit where it is due to players you don't like.

You rave on about Hislop, or as you call him Hissy, yet he has done nothing.
Jetta is another, and while they are our future they have done virtually nothing so far.

I have bagged Dyson as much as the next guy, but his workrate over the pre season is reason enough to give him another chance to prove himself.

He did turn the ball over a few times, but he also got a lot of the ball and tackled, chased and tried his hardest to provide some run and creativity.

You wouldn't see that of course, as you only see what you want to see.

Is the 2nd bit addressed to me? I never had him in my team, irrelevant. Anyway - what's similar? He was used as THE go-to man/ball carrier through the middle. Had heaps of the pill. Previously he's been used as a flanker, outside option, even as a tagger, and has had bugger all of the pill. Skill was never Ricky's problem, he just couldn't push himself to get to - and commit to - enough contests

Last year wasn't terrible. It was average. It was a definite and tangible improvement over the year before.
Our improvement was based on more responsibility given to Watson, Winderlich, Stanton & less to Bolton, Heff, MJ and so on
I'd do the same. Get a few games into younger legs, then push them in and they'll improve. NOT field a side of 19 year olds

If you really think Jetta is up to AFL standard with regards to fitness, toughness, then we must have been watching different games. Having a bit of talent is fine and good, but if you're only getting to 5 or 10 conests a game you're just not doing enough

Thats what I was thinking. We definitely need to put in new faces into the side. Houli, Reimers, Dempsey, Dyson, Hocking, Gumbleton, Neagle etc. should all be given game time.
I've had this argument so many times it's not funny
You can't have a team with 5 full-forwards. It doesn't work
We will play Lloyd and Lucas, we'll have a ruckman forward as well. McPhee is also going to play predominantly forward this year. Isn't that tall enough?

All three of these blokes were in my side

Probably a good argument to be made for the other two, won't dispute it. I'm just struggling to find the 37+ spots in our "best 22" for all of our incumbent 22 + all the kids who played well last night.

I doubt he will be in the side in Round 1. Will probably play around 8-10 games throughout the season.

Hi, I'm new to the forum. This is what I think.

FB: H.Slattery M.Michael D.Fletcher
HB: N. Lovett-Murray P.Ryder J.Nash
MD: D.Peverill J.Watson J.Winderlich
HF: A.McPhee S.Lucas A.lovett
FF: A.Davey. M.Lloyd. D.Hille
R: J.Laycock M.McVeigh B.Stanton

A.Welsh(Utl) A.Ramanauskas(IF FIT/J.Johnson if Not) A.Monfries and ...

Last Interchange spot could be taken up by the following: (In no order)

B.Houli
R.Dyson
L.Jetta
D.Myers
C.Dempsey
T.Hislop
H.Hocking
L.Jetta
S.Longergan
K.Reimers

If Extra Tall Required (Doubtful)
C.Johns
A.Lee
S.Gumbleton

I guess we need to assume that the back six would change depending on match ups etc.

With Hille forward I feel that Laycock is a better ruck. I believe that Hille should play second ruck and have much more influcence forward.

This would mean that Lloyd, Lovett, Davey and McPhee would really need to apply ground level pressure.

B: Fletcher--Michael--Slattery
HB: Nash--Ryder--NLM
MID: Houli--Watson--Monfries
HF: McPhee--Lucas--Lovett
F: Welsh--Lloyd--Davey
R: Hille--McVeigh--Stanton

INT: Dempsey--Jetta--Laycock--Rama

INJ: Winderlich, ???

Others Who May Feature: Johnson--Peverill--Reimers--Dyson

Just a scratch lineup I decided on based on my personal opinions and views for round 1, others opinions will no doubt differ, including Knights himself though time will tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back