Best 22 for Round 1?

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm interested to see the jumper numbers.

Will Taylor Hine get moved on to another number for NDS?

Hamish half broke the curse of #1, but will that go to McDonald? Or the fabled #15?
Will Taylor Hine offer his number to NDS (and swap to, eg #21)? I like ruckmen wearing the #1.

B: McMahon, Thompson, Grima
HB: McDonald, Hansen, Mullett
C: Wells, Cunnington, Dal Santo
HF: Adams, Tarrant, Harvey
F: Black, Petrie, Thomas
R: Goldstein, Swallow, Ziebell
I: Bastinac, Gibson, Atley
S: McKenzie/Garner/Harper/MacMillan

Delaney pushing for McMahon's spot, that could be decided on pre-season form. Adams also under some pressure. Rotating sub to ensure players still get 4 quarters most weeks.

Most of the listed teams look pretty strong. I think there'll be a lot of competition for the last 4-5 spots in the team. It's too early to write off Firrito, McMahon & Greenwood; Delaney may overtake Grima; Daw, Currie or Wood might overtake Tarrant. Of the young guys I'd like to see Garner, McDonald and McKenzie given an extended run. Harper needs to reinvent himself and force his way in.

FWIW I'll go with:

B: Delaney, Thompson, Mullett
HB: Atley, Hansen, McDonald
R: Goldstein, Swallow, Bastinac
HF: Ziebell, Black, Adams
F: Harvey, Petrie, Thomas
I: Daw, Garner, McKenzie
S: Gibson
E: Currie, Macmillan, Grima, Harper, Firrito, McMahon, Tarrant, Greenwood, Wright, Jacobs, Wood, Hine,

14 (Gys), 15 (Keys) and 21 (Richo) will be up for grabs.

I think I read on here that Black is keen to keep 35. I wonder if Mullett or JMac will upgrade.

Most of the listed teams look pretty strong. I think there'll be a lot of competition for the last 4-5 spots in the team. It's too early to write off Firrito, McMahon & Greenwood; Delaney may overtake Grima; Daw, Currie or Wood might overtake Tarrant. Of the young guys I'd like to see Garner, McDonald and McKenzie given an extended run. Harper needs to reinvent himself and force his way in.

FWIW I'll go with:

B: Delaney, Thompson, Mullett
HB: Atley, Hansen, McDonald
R: Goldstein, Swallow, Bastinac
HF: Ziebell, Black, Adams
F: Harvey, Petrie, Thomas
I: Daw, Garner, McKenzie
S: Gibson
E: Currie, Macmillan, Grima, Harper, Firrito, McMahon, Tarrant, Greenwood, Wright, Jacobs, Wood, Hine,

Having our most enduring runner as a sub is a huge waste of potential.

One of his big advantages is that he runs all day like the energizer bunny. His TOG and presenting of options is almost like having an extra substitue.

He isn't going to get any faster if he is bought on in the third quarter, it just means that his full potential sits on the bench for half the game.

Don't know who that is but Macmillan is 22 and it is not his job to get the ball.

If our bottom players end up as defensive mids like 22 year old Macmillan and defensive forwards like 23 year old Wright then we are in good shape.

Wright if he stays and is fit can do far more damage than a Hine or a Harper and the same for Jamie.

Im with you on this but SW seems lazy and has no second efforts how do we pick him above Hine who is an all day concentrator and worker even if he is not as fit as we needed him.

Look to Hine getting much fitter and replacing SW if SW doesn't man up.

Oh but what a fantastic place it is to be with problems like this that the ones we had when we were being shipped off to stripper town

One of his big advantages is that he runs all day like the energizer bunny. His TOG and presenting of options is almost like having an extra substitue.

He isn't going to get any faster if he is bought on in the third quarter, it just means that his full potential sits on the bench for half the game.

I hear you, perhaps we rotate Garner, McKenzie and McDonald as sub in the short term and Gibson can start.

B: Mullett, Thompson, McMahon

HB: Atley, Grima, Hansen

C: Dal Santo, Ziebell, Wells

HF: Adams, Tarrant, Harvey

F: Thomas, Petrie, Black

Foll: Goldstein, Cunnington, Bastinac

Bench: Macmillan, Gibson, Jacobs

Sub: McKenzie/Garner/Harper/McDonald

Swallow in for Jacobs when fit.

Guys who need to be careful (hoping our depth is pushing hard for a 22 spot):
McMahon - Firrito, Cam Delaney pushing

Tarrant - Daw pushing

Adams - Wood pushing (different players but think with agility of Black and Wood we could use Wood)

Atley, Gibson, Jacobs - subs (hell even JMac can't afford a slow start if McKenzie or McDonald really come on!) Those guys aren't locks just because they have some more games

Anthony, Wright, Hine, Gysberts and Greenwood starting well out on the outer. Assuming Sierakowski and Kennedy join L.Delaney, Richardson and Speight as our outs.

This is the post of the posts I read this and want the winter back before its left

It was criminal that he was the sub in the Carlton game.

You really want Wells as part of the back 6? I'm all for having him drift back every now and then but we'll definitely be picking at least 6 genuine defenders.
agree. our defensive effort isn't the best so putting wellsy back there wont be helping the cause.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is it just me or have all the new off field acquisitions along with the capture of Dal Santo via free agency got us thinking that we are on the verge of something special?

The off filed acquisitions such as Geoff Walsh, Gavin Brown, Ben Dyer, John Donehue and most importantly in my opinion Leigh Tudor not only show that we are building towards something special but also show that others are wanting to come to North to help create that something special.

All of these off field signings coupled with the signing of Nick Dal Santo via free agency and re-signing of AAron Black, Ben Cunnington, Lindsay Thomas and Scott Thompson show me that the players have wholeheartedly bought into the Brad Scott model.

Given that the average age of our playing list is around 24-25 i cant help but see the similarities between us and Geelong of 2006. We now just have to wait for the players to do the rest of the work in winning games and pay back the trust that our club has put into them to succeed after our rebuild over the past few seasons.

The main person that i believe should be thanked for all of this is on-field and off-field success is James Brayshaw. He helped dig the club out of a hole since we almost relocated to the Gold Coast half a decade ago and now we are thriving and making profit each season. Many thanks James Brayshaw.

With all of this said i will now post my desired best 22 for round 1 next year not taking into account injuries;

FB C Delaney Thompson Hansen
HB Mullet Grima McDonald
C Dal Santo Cunnington Wells
HF Adams Black Harvey
FF Daw Petrie Thomas

Foll Goldstein Swallow Ziebell

IC Gibson Bastinac Atley Macmillan

Emerg: Tarrant Mckenzie Hine

I would appreciate your thoughts on this and feel free to post your starting 22.

Thanks,

Johndory (Peter pan)

My 22 for round 1:
FB: Hansen Thompson Mullett
HB: Atley Grima MacMillan
C: Bastinac Wells Dal Santo
HF: Adams Petrie Harvey
FF: Thomas Tarrant Black
FOL: Goldstein Cunnington Ziebell
INT: Gibson McKenzie Jacobs Garner (Sub)

Im in the theory with Roy Kinsella...........build it and they will come. Weve always been known to have a close knit group of lads.........until a certain flog left us for Hawthorn. We've rectified some areas we needed to address and the boat is cruising full steam ahead.

I don't totally agree. I think he's a tough unit and always gives us good run and carry from defense. Think he's quietly become a important cog in our team. But having said that we're developing a good range of players who can play that half back roll if he drops off he is easily replaced. So I guess after all said and done you are correct lol

This was about Jamie McMillan to a earlier post.... For some reason it didn't reply to the guy I wanted it too :/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Freet

Iv done my best 22 (can't be bothered writing it out now) but our depth is looking good. I hope brad Scott rotates players through the side a bit more this year aka hawks, Geelong do. A few players tend to get shafted for the year once they get dropped out the side, then there names are always up for trade the next year as they want out. Greenwood never gets a decent go, and players like hine seem to get a better crack than him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

C.Delaney- Thompson - Mullet
McDonald - Hansen - McKenzie
Dal Santo - Ziebell - Atley
Wells - Petrie - Harvey
Thomas - Daw - Black
Goldstein - Cunnington - Bastinac
Swallow - Wood - Garner - Harper

MacMillan Tarrant (Garlett)
Wright Currie Adams
Greenwood Gibson McMahon
Jacobs Hine Grima

a lack of experience in the back 6 Arjen
Grima is a lock
Daw is a mystery, unstoppable but can he play AFL successfully ?? he is basically Folau revisited ATM
Wright is confusing too, has actually contributed a lot on occasion but other times seems too slow
a better defender one on one than a few of them, maybe take spuds spot?

Gibson's kicking I50 is deplorable. Until that is rectified I don't see a spot for him long term. How many outside players in the top 4 lack speed and footskills? He just doesn't hit the scoreboard enough. He's best 21 for now but we need to find/develop someone better.

Remove this Banner Ad

Best 22 for Round 1?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back