Preview Best 22 in 2012 (minus draftees)

Remove this Banner Ad

My current best 22 on the list that I would like to see out there playing their best in 2012

B: Duffield - McPharlin - Dawson
HB:Suban - Silvagni - Broughton
C: Hill - Barlow - Morabito
HF: Fyfe - Clarke - Bradley
F: Mayne - Pavlich - Ballantyne
R: Sandilands - Mundy - Deboer

I: Lower - Mzungu - Crowley
Sub: Spurr

Yep, like this team. Though Mellington & Griffin could slot in for Crowley & Bradley at some point.

Not for Round 1, just the best 22.

B: Ibbotson - Dawson - McPharlin
HB: Broughton - Silvagni - Suban
C: Hill - Barlow - Fyfe
HF: Mayne - Pavlich - Morabito
F: Ballantyne - Anthony - Mellington
R: Sandilands - Mundy - Lower

I: McPhee - De Boer - Clarke - Mzungu

Thats just about it for me as well...:thumbsu: While Mundy is missing, Mzungu to start in the Center, Barlow to move into Mundy's spot. Bench replacement out of Crowley and Duffield.

Duffield should slot comfortably into our backline...I just don't know after last season though. I'd prefer him kicking in over Ibbotson. I wouldn't totally trust either of them defending someone important...tough call.

I know which of the two I'd rather defending someone important. With Suban, Broughton and Ibbo in the back line there are enough options for kick-ins. Duffield may turn things around this year, but based on last years performances he doesn't deserve a spot.

Very nice work with your line up. Agree with all except the bolded.

B: Ibbotson - Dawson - McPharlin
HB: Broughton - Silvagni - Suban
C: Hill - Barlow - Fyfe
HF: Balla - Pavlich - Morabito
F: Mayne - Kep - Mellington
R: Sandilands - Mundy - Lower

I: McPhee - De Boer - Clarke - Mzungu
(Note: I don't know who the substitute is...)

Would shift Balla up to half forward, Mayne closer to goal and swap JA out for Kep. Just think Kep has more dimensions as a KPF, and was a pretty good set shot last year (which is really JA's big thing). Keps a couple of inches taller and has a better work rate.

Hope JA goes well this year, but reckon Kep is a better bet.

I'm somewhat with you on Ballantyne as a HF. I hate when he gets stuck in the FP doing SFA all game. It has certainly happened on more than a few occasions in the last couple of seasons. It's an absolute waste. However, I think the reality is that, Ballantyne, Mayne, Morabito, Fyfe, Hill, Mellington, De Boer and Barlow will all rotate through FP-HF-Mid at varying times.

Pick your best 22 is up on the Freo website:
http://best22.afl.com.au/fremantle/

Here is my effort
FB: Duffield - Silvagni - Dawson
HB: Broughton - McPharlin - Suban
C: Hill - McPhee - Mzungu
HF: Fyfe - Pavlich - DeBoer
F: Ballantyne - Bradley - Mellington
Ruck: Sandilands - Mundy - Barlow

Int:Clarke - Johnson - Pitt
Sub: Neale

Emergencies would be: Grover, Ibbotson, Crowley

I noted they have Pav listed as a Midfielder... :eek:

Mine
FB: Broughton, Silvagni, Dawson
HB: McPhee, McPharlin, Suban
C: Hill, Barlow, Morabito
HF: Bradley, Pavlich, Fyfe
F: Mellington, Clarke, Ballantyne
Ruck: Sandilands, Mundy, DeBoer

Int: Lower, Johnson, Mzungu

Here is my effort

Morabito stiff not to even be included in the Emergencies :p

Agree with your backline though, but think Mayne is still best 22 material.

From an outsiders view, without following preseason as hard as you guys

Mcphee - Silvagni - Dawson

Suban - Mcpharlin - Duffield

Broughton - Mundy - Hill

Ballantyne - Pavlich - Deboer

Mayne - Kepler - Z.Clarke

Sandilands - Fyfe - Barlow

Mzungu, Ibbotson, Lower/Crowley/Neale/MJ

Whats happened with Mcphee as the small defender?

Our best 22 looks pretty fine to me, with lots of "line-ball" calls, with reasonable depth stretching out to close to the top 30.

The issue is really going to be Barlow, Morabitto, Mundy and even Lower.

It is not so much that they are in the best 22, but because they are the ball winning guts of our midfield engine, big hard bodies and reliable. There is no point bringing in Pitt and thinking he will take up the slack, for example. Even Lachie Neale who is burning it up, is an unknown as far as an actual AFL game. MacPhee, or Ibbotson, or de Boer etc may contribute, but the class equation is definitely falling with them in the midfield.

How this plays out with a wily new coach is going to be pretty interesting. The fact that he is bringing clarity to our on-field systems will be a big bonus in these circumstances.

That's tough when you have the full squad to pick from. If Pitt continues to show good form through the NAB, he might be best 22 this season, which makes selection really tricky. I think it leaves Duffield in some doubt about his place in the team. Duffield and Ibbotson are both easily AFL standard players, but I don't think that either of them have the offensive skills to match Pitt. Duffield is easily in over Ibbotson if he can recapture his best form.

MJ, Crowley and McPhee all fighting for a spot, too. This is assuming that Morabito is playing good footy. If not, McPhee and MJ are in.

Your Best 22 Selections for round 1 (Lower/Mundy N/A)

BCK

• Adam McPhee
  • Luke McPharlin
  • Zac Dawson
  • Greg Broughton
  • Alex Silvagni
  • Garrick Ibbotson
MID

• Tendai Mzungu
  • Nathan Fyfe
  • Stephen Hill
FWD

• Chris Mayne
  • Matthew Pavlich
  • Anthony Morabito
  • Zac Clarke
  • Jonathon Griffin
  • Hayden Ballantyne
RCK

• Aaron Sandilands
  • Michael Barlow
  • Matthew De Boer
INT

• Jayden Pitt
  • Paul Duffield
  • Nick Suban
  • Michael Johnson (SUB)

Your Best 22 Selections for round 1 (Lower/Mundy N/A)

BCK

• Adam McPhee
  • Luke McPharlin
  • Zac Dawson
  • Greg Broughton
  • Alex Silvagni
  • Garrick Ibbotson
MID

• Tendai Mzungu
  • Nathan Fyfe
  • Stephen Hill
FWD

• Chris Mayne
  • Matthew Pavlich
  • Anthony Morabito
  • Zac Clarke
  • Jonathon Griffin
  • Hayden Ballantyne
RCK

• Aaron Sandilands
  • Michael Barlow
  • Matthew De Boer
INT

• Jayden Pitt
  • Paul Duffield
  • Nick Suban
  • Michael Johnson (SUB)
Your Best 22 Selections for 2012

BCK

• Adam McPhee
  • Luke McPharlin
  • Zac Dawson
  • Greg Broughton
  • Alex Silvagni
  • Garrick Ibbotson
MID

• Michael Barlow
  • Nathan Fyfe
  • Stephen Hill
FWD

• Chris Mayne
  • Matthew Pavlich
  • Anthony Morabito
  • Zac Clarke
  • Jonathon Griffin
  • Hayden Ballantyne
RCK

• Aaron Sandilands
  • David Mundy
  • Matthew De Boer
INT

• Tendai Mzungu
  • Nick Lower
  • Nick Suban
  • Michael Johnson (SUB)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A lot of the faces that we saw during last years injury crisis are not going to be hitting the park under Ross Lyon for a couple of years in some cases. We have clearly now moved into a different stage of our long term development plan, where we start to settle on who plays where, albeit there will always be some experimentation. Just not to the magnitude of the past three years.

FB: Silvagni - Dawson - Suban
HB: Mzungu - McPharlin - Broughton
C : Hill - Mundy - Morabito
HF: Fyfe - Mayne - De Boer
FF: Clarke - Pavlich Ballantyne

R: Sandilands Barlow Crowley

I: Bradley, Duffield, McPhee, Johnson, Grover, Ibbotson, Lower, Mellington, Anthony, Pitt, Crichton, Neale, Griffin.

Interchange would likely be picked on matchups, but in roughly the above order.

NB*

McPhee not as likely an automatic selection as he was under Harvey. Love the guys intensity at the ball and player, but needs to have those skills, nerves and goal kicking in order to play this year.

Bradley, Clarke, Mayne and Anthony to share the two second and third tall forward positions, likely picked on form. Centre half forward will pretty much be Pav, though he'll be lining up at full forward.

Ballantyne obviously rotating heavily through the midfield.

Grover and Johnson the two spare talls down back.

Ibbotson and Johnson likely subs, being utilities.

A lot of the faces that we saw during last years injury crisis are not going to be hitting the park under Ross Lyon for a couple of years in some cases. We have clearly now moved into a different stage of our long term development plan, where we start to settle on who plays where, albeit there will always be some experimentation. Just not to the magnitude of the past three years.

C : Hill - Mundy - Morabito
HF: Fyfe - Mayne - De Boer
FF: Clarke - Pavlich Ballantyne

R: Sandilands Barlow Crowley

I: Bradley, Duffield, McPhee, Johnson, Grover, Ibbotson, Lower, Mellington, Anthony, Pitt, Crichton, Neale, Griffin.

Interchange would likely be picked on matchups, but in roughly the above order.

Interesting choices. But I genuinely pray that Mayne is never played as a KPF again. Would have thought Kep (my tip) or Anthony would be better options.

Would prefer De Boer on the ball in preference to Crowley... he's a better tagger and has better hands (Crowley's a bit of a fumbler). Crowley on the bench instead.

Interesting choices. But I genuinely pray that Mayne is never played as a KPF again. Would have thought Kep (my tip) or Anthony would be better options.

Would prefer De Boer on the ball in preference to Crowley... he's a better tagger and has better hands (Crowley's a bit of a fumbler). Crowley on the bench instead.

Both very good points. I actually had Bradley at CHF then removed him for Mayne and added the blurb that there will only really be Pavlich as a CHF/FF, the rest will work around him structurally. Agreed as well on De Boer. He is now as good as Crowley in that role. Though I am expecting big things from Crowley this year with his increased fitness, lighter playing weight and Ross Lyon's style.

Well done Seppo for winning two free movie passes from Freo for winning todays name your best 22. :thumbsu:

Simply thought process behind selecting my 22:
picture.php

Great minds think alike. ;)

Both very good points. I actually had Bradley at CHF then removed him for Mayne and added the blurb that there will only really be Pavlich as a CHF/FF, the rest will work around him structurally.

Fair enough. I'm still hoping they go with two fairly genuine targets at FF and CHF (and suspecting that they will) but time will tell.

Agreed as well on De Boer. He is now as good as Crowley in that role. Though I am expecting big things from Crowley this year with his increased fitness, lighter playing weight and Ross Lyon's style.

Crowley has definitely looked better, but just needs to keep working on his hands. His movement is much better... hands still a bit fumbly though. If he can iron that out, then I reckon he deserves a spot.

Ross used to use two very good tagging types in Jones and Dempster in the same team. I remember him using Jones to shut down Hill and Dempster to keep Balla quiet. It worked, as both had very subdued games. Had heard that both had been playing very well during the season as well, but don't remember the particular scalps they'd been picking up. Crippa can probably oblige.

I think there's room for both in the team, but they'll be running with guys in different parts of the field (e.g. one as a defensive forward and the other as an onball tagger). Will be interesting to see how they're used.

Fair enough. I'm still hoping they go with two fairly genuine targets at FF and CHF (and suspecting that they will) but time will tell.

Crowley has definitely looked better, but just needs to keep working on his hands. His movement is much better... hands still a bit fumbly though. If he can iron that out, then I reckon he deserves a spot.

Ross used to use two very good tagging types in Jones and Dempster in the same team. I remember him using Jones to shut down Hill and Dempster to keep Balla quiet. It worked, as both had very subdued games. Had heard that both had been playing very well during the season as well, but don't remember the particular scalps they'd been picking up. Crippa can probably oblige.

I think there's room for both in the team, but they'll be running with guys in different parts of the field (e.g. one as a defensive forward and the other as an onball tagger). Will be interesting to see how they're used.

Haha! Just noticed that strobe00!

Dempster had an outstanding year. Some of his scalps that come to mind include:

Marc Murphy - round 7 (Murphy had 15 touches by half time. Dempster was sent to him in the 2nd half and restricted him to 7 touches)
Dane Swan - round 11 (until Lyon released the tag in 4th quarter)
Brent Harvey - round 15 and 23
Andrew Embley - round 17
Ryan O'keefe - round 22

Clint Jones completely negated Dale Thomas in the first half of round 11 - until Thomas king-hit Jones. (Once the scoreboard got away in the 2nd half, Lyon released the tag because he said it had become a "pointless exercise").

My effort:

C: Hill - Mundy - Morabito
HF: Lower - Pavlich - DeBoer
FF: Ballantyne - Bradley - Mayne

R: Sandilands - Fyfe - Barlow

Int: Griffin (then 3 from) Johnson - McPhee - Duffield - Ibbotson - Crowley - Grover

With Mundy, Morabito and Lower all unavailable for Rd 1, I'd push Mzungu up to the wing, slot Ibbo onto the HBF and Crowley onto the HFF. The bench would then be:
Griffin - McPhee - Johnson - Grover

Would love to fit Clarke, Neale and Pitt in somewhere, but going with proven players...

Could be barking completely up the wrong tree with the guys I have picked, as I am really not sold on Mayne, Crowley, Duffield, or Johnson (based on last year); McPhee needs to do everything right IMO to get picked; assuming Dawson's efforts so far are the exception rather than the norm and that Ross knows what he's doing by bringing him over; and maybe, just maybe Grover is getting just a little past it... Hope I'm wrong.

My effort:

C: Hill - Mundy - Morabito
HF: Lower - Pavlich - DeBoer

Int: Griffin (then 3 from) Johnson - McPhee - Duffield - Ibbotson - Crowley - Grover

With Mundy, Morabito and Lower all unavailable for Rd 1, I'd push Mzungu up to the wing, slot Ibbo onto the HBF and Crowley onto the HFF. The bench would then be:
Griffin - McPhee - Johnson - Grover

Would love to fit Clarke, Neale and Pitt in somewhere, but going with proven players...

Could be barking completely up the wrong tree with the guys I have picked, as I am really not sold on Mayne, Crowley, Duffield, or Johnson (based on last year); McPhee needs to do everything right IMO to get picked; assuming Dawson's efforts so far are the exception rather than the norm and that Ross knows what he's doing by bringing him over; and maybe, just maybe Grover is getting just a little past it... Hope I'm wrong.

Its that bench that worries me. Would really like a bit more diversity in there. Neale and Pitt bring that.

Here is my effort

Without wishing to be seen as jumping on the bandwagon, this is about perfect for me too except for the tiny detail that it doesn't have Morabito. Lower would be thereabouts also.

FB: Silvagni - Dawson - Duffield
C: Hill - Mundy - lower
HF: Morabito Pavlich - DeBoer

Int: Griffin Johnson - McPhee - Suban

McPhee will play all year.

Without wishing to be seen as jumping on the bandwagon, this is about perfect for me too except for the tiny detail that it doesn't have Morabito. Lower would be thereabouts also.

Mate that is a cop out. If you think those 2 should be in the team, find the 2 you are going to drop. That is where the tough calls get made. And I can't say I'd be thrilled if MacPhee actually started as a key part of our midfield. He hasn't been training there has he?

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Best 22 in 2012 (minus draftees)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back