Preview Best 22 in 2012 (minus draftees)

Remove this Banner Ad

Broughton Silvagni Ibbotson
Duffield Mcpharlin Suban
Hill Barlow Morabito
Fyfe Pavlich Mayne
Balla Johnson Walters
Sandi Mundy Mzungu
Griffen Lower Deboer SUB: Spurr

Players outside 22 to push in Dawson Crowley Clarke Mellington Anthony Mcphee Bradley Pitt.

You may need a heads-up re Walters.

I've been trying to set out what I think will be the top 22 (without draftees) and god it's hard. Whichever way I look at it there will be a quantity of good quality players who won't get a game except WAFL.

It's a great situation to be in with most of our list pushing for a spot each week. The selectors will have to make some very hard decisions - unless injury decimates us again.

The nominated best 22 squads all look great and there should be strong competition for spots in the team. This plus the overdue addition of a smart head coach who is able to communicate a clear message to the team should have us well placed to have a much better season

Hopefully our injury management can improve from previous years. The weagles last year had barely an injury and on the back of that were able to improve markedly. It was sooooo annoying last year to look at our weekly list of 12-16 absentees while those knuckleheads barely had anyone on the injury list all year except for a couple of guys who weren't even close to their best 30.

The nominated best 22 squads all look great and there should be strong competition for spots in the team. This plus the overdue addition of a smart head coach who is able to communicate a clear message to the team should have us well placed to have a much better season

Hopefully our injury management can improve from previous years. The weagles last year had barely an injury and on the back of that were able to improve markedly. It was sooooo annoying last year to look at our weekly list of 12-16 absentees while those knuckleheads barely had anyone on the injury list all year except for a couple of guys who weren't even close to their best 30.

Yep, this, especially the last part.

The nominated best 22 squads all look great and there should be strong competition for spots in the team.

When I look at posters suggested best 22 I am usually fairly impressed by the next 5 players that they couldn't quite fit in, who all look capable of slotting in, plus excited about some prospects like Neale, Forster etc. Crikey, Anthony is even sounding exciting at the moment.

When I look at posters suggested best 22 I am usually fairly impressed by the next 5 players that they couldn't quite fit in, who all look capable of slotting in, plus excited about some prospects like Neale, Forster etc. Crikey, Anthony is even sounding exciting at the moment.

Well i have never been impressed with Anthony and had him on my delist at the end of 2012 but the last few training sessions i have seen makes me think
he could be around for a while.
Never thought i would ever say this about Anthony but dont be surprised if he
is a regular in the team in 2012.

Well i have never been impressed with Anthony and had him on my delist at the end of 2012 but the last few training sessions i have seen makes me think
he could be around for a while.
Never thought i would ever say this about Anthony but dont be surprised if he
is a regular in the team in 2012.

Yes. It is an uncomfortable thought for me, but a welcome one. Seriously, if he transforms into a decent forward for us it is a pretty decent accolade for the coaching staff and JA himself.

Seriously? Pipe dreams aside, for all his gameday talent he's gonna be a small forward for the black ducks for the next 10 years whilst working a trade, and even then they won't approve of his lack of dedication.

You need to accept that if Harves gave up gifting him games for his talent alone he doesn't stand a chance with Lyon.

where does ibbotson fit in? i see him as a midfielder who should start on the defensive side of the stopages. his a decent tackle and can run and carry the ball. his 24 now so is at a good age to take his game to the next level, not to meniton he was a 2nd round pick! i think for him to stay in your 22 he needs to play in the midfield or atleast be apart of the rotations!

i know but do u know about his game day talent. i would think he would be in most peoples best 22 if not for his lazyness at training. otherwise the point to this thread is to choose your best 22. true??

I don't see it like that. If you simply equate "talent" to "natural football ability" then I think it is a mistake. Discipline is a talent, just as much as the ability to curve a ball off the boot, or jump high. The ability to listen to a coach, understand what you have been instructed to do, then set about achieving it and going beyond that is a serious talent.

The tribe has spoken, and he does not have the talent at this stage to even train with the squad, and he certainly does not have the talent for the best 22.

where does ibbotson fit in? i see him as a midfielder who should start on the defensive side of the stopages. his a decent tackle and can run and carry the ball. his 24 now so is at a good age to take his game to the next level, not to meniton he was a 2nd round pick! i think for him to stay in your 22 he needs to play in the midfield or atleast be apart of the rotations!

If Mundy misses early games then Ibbotson could get some midfield time. He should be trying to crack a place there in my opinion. We have other options for his position in the backline, and at worst, if Ibbotson is training to play midfield he becomes a better part of the rotation from his backline position.

B: Dawson Silvagni Ibbotson

HB: Broughton McPharlin Suban

C: Mzungu Fyfe Hill

HF: Mayne Clarke Johnson

F: DeBoer Pavlich Mellington

R: Sandilands Barlow Ballantyne

I; Neale Duffield Morabitto

Sub; Pitt
    • Mundy to ease in when ready via the Sub.
    • Lower to displace Neale after his suspension ends. Neale to work hard in the wafl and win the spot back in time for the finals.
    • Bradley, Anthony, McPhee and Grover keeping a heap of pressure on Mayne, MJ and Dawson.
    • Crowley looking daggers at de Boer and Mellington
    • Spurr and Roberts going hard at the bodies of anyone they think badly needs a Long Term Injury during training sessions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

B: Dawson Silvagni Ibbotson

HB: Broughton McPharlin Suban

C: Mzungu Fyfe Hill

HF: Mayne Clarke Johnson

F: DeBoer Pavlich Mellington

R: Sandilands Barlow Ballantyne

I; Neale Duffield Morabitto

Sub; Pitt
    • Mundy to ease in when ready via the Sub.
    • Lower to displace Neale after his suspension ends. Neale to work hard in the wafl and win the spot back in time for the finals.
    • Bradley, Anthony, McPhee and Grover keeping a heap of pressure on Mayne, MJ and Dawson.
    • Crowley looking daggers at de Boer and Mellington
    • Spurr and Roberts going hard at the bodies of anyone they think badly needs a Long Term Injury during training sessions.

My only thoughts would be possibly Pitt out for Lower instead of Neale, With Neale coming out when Mundy is ready.

Side looks good Gav. :thumbsu:
Gee if we could win the first 2 games then bring in Mundy and Lower we could get off to a really strong start to the season.

Any of you fine people coming across for round 2 Sydney v Freo on Easter Saturday?

Side looks good Gav. :thumbsu:
Gee if we could win the first 2 games then bring in Mundy and Lower we could get off to a really strong start to the season.

Geelong seemed to have strategy, by design or otherwise, that served them well. Some of their key older players would start the year slowly. In the meantime they played and developed emerging players, getting a few games into them, building some depth if required later in the year due to form or injuries.

We cannot really afford to do that, but the situation is forced on us with Mundy and Lower.

I am quite interested to know what the plans for Lower are this year and how Lyon regards him. Also if he has had specific requirements put on him in regards to his training such as slim down, bulk up, get run into your legs etc. He has more value in him than we have seen to date I think.

Lower seems to be doing a lot of drills one on one aimed at close in work. He will have a trainer run a ball along the ground toward him quickly as he stands really close to the trainer. He will gather the ball, twist and turn and handball it back. Suggests he is earmarked for the grunt work in packs, getting first hands on it and shovelling it out.
Good plan IMO. Guy doesn't take a backward step.

Lower seems to be doing a lot of drills one on one aimed at close in work. He will have a trainer run a ball along the ground toward him quickly as he stands really close to the trainer. He will gather the ball, twist and turn and handball it back. Suggests he is earmarked for the grunt work in packs, getting first hands on it and shovelling it out.
Good plan IMO. Guy doesn't take a backward step.

I really want to see him playing their full-time. If he is back in rd3 and Mundy later, he will have a decent shot at locking down that role. He could cause some pain methinks.

Not for Round 1, just the best 22.

B: Ibbotson - Dawson - McPharlin
HB: Broughton - Silvagni - Suban
C: Hill - Barlow - Fyfe
HF: Mayne - Pavlich - Morabito
F: Ballantyne - Anthony - Mellington
R: Sandilands - Mundy - Lower

I: McPhee - De Boer - Clarke - Mzungu
(Note: I don't know who the substitute is...)

McPharlin is the key to our defensive unit. Freeing him up to zone off his man and attack will be crucial. I don't have much confidence in the stopping abilities of Ibbotson and Suban, which means he'll need to control everything that comes in down back.

I've got Clarke in ahead of Griffin. I will change my mind again in 11 seconds.

The most interesting part will be whether Duffield, Crowley and Johnson 'get first crack' or not. There are certainly spots for them, if they're at their best. The guys they are competing with (Suban, De Boer, Lower, Mellington and to a lesser extent McPhee) have only ever been semi-established in the 22. NAB Cup form will be very important.

Not for Round 1, just the best 22.

B: Ibbotson - Dawson - McPharlin
HB: Broughton - Silvagni - Suban
C: Hill - Barlow - Fyfe
HF: Mayne - Pavlich - Morabito
F: Ballantyne - Anthony - Mellington
R: Sandilands - Mundy - Lower

I: McPhee - De Boer - Clarke - Mzungu
(Note: I don't know who the substitute is...)

McPharlin is the key to our defensive unit. Freeing him up to zone off his man and attack will be crucial. I don't have much confidence in the stopping abilities of Ibbotson and Suban, which means he'll need to control everything that comes in down back.

I've got Clarke in ahead of Griffin. I will change my mind again in 11 seconds.

The most interesting part will be whether Duffield, Crowley and Johnson 'get first crack' or not. There are certainly spots for them, if they're at their best. The guys they are competing with (Suban, De Boer, Lower, Mellington and to a lesser extent McPhee) have only ever been semi-established in the 22. NAB Cup form will be very important.

Thats a good effort. I actually agree with every position except possibly duff comes in for ibbotson and mcphee or mzungu drop out of the 22

Thats a good effort. I actually agree with every position except possibly duff comes in for ibbotson and mcphee or mzungu drop out of the 22

I can't see Mzungu dropping out of the 22 at this stage. His kicking is still a bit shaky, but he gives us so much run through the midfield. Not useless run either, he actually links up and moves the ball forward. He's got the capacity to transition from defense to attack time and time again as well. I'd actually drop Suban before Mzungu...

I think McPhee is a pretty important player to have coming off the bench. He can rotate through both HB and HF, pinch hit as a 2nd KP and even work through the midfield if needed. I'm not big on the jack-of-all-trades types, but there is generally room for 1-2 in the line-up as long as they are capable of holding down a set position for the most part. McPhee can do that (as can Crowley and Johnson).

Duffield should slot comfortably into our backline...I just don't know after last season though. I'd prefer him kicking in over Ibbotson. I wouldn't totally trust either of them defending someone important...tough call.

B: Mzungu - McPharlin - Dawson
HB: Broughton - Silvagni - McPhee
C: Hill - Barlow - Morabito
HF: Fyfe - Clarke - Suban
F: Debour - Pavlich - Mayne
R: Sandilands - Mundy - Ballantyne

I: Griffen - Duffield - Ibbotson
Sub: Spurr

My current best 22 on the list that I would like to see out there playing their best in 2012

B: Duffield - McPharlin - Dawson
HB:Suban - Silvagni - Broughton
C: Hill - Barlow - Morabito
HF: Fyfe - Clarke - Bradley
F: Mayne - Pavlich - Ballantyne
R: Sandilands - Mundy - Deboer

I: Lower - Mzungu - Crowley
Sub: Spurr

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Best 22 in 2012 (minus draftees)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back