Preview Best 22 in 2012 (minus draftees)

Remove this Banner Ad

It has been pointed out to me that it seems Lyon likes a tall team. He played 2 full on ruckmen in 2009 (Gardiner and King) and fielded a tall defense (Fisher, Dawson, Blake, Gilbert, Gwilt) during his years at St Kilda. Also everyone is taller - few ruckmen are less than 6ft 7in (in the old money) these days, where 6ft 5in was not uncommon a few years back.

We fielded a fairly short team last year I think, with no true tall forward, after Kepler was dropped, and often only 1 ruckman. I think we are likely to see a much taller team on the park this year.

(I am keen on the idea of seeing Pav, Clarke and Kep all in the forward line - I don't know if it would work but I think it is worth a try and wouldn't it be different to last year).

I would like to see this as well. I had previously placed all three of them in our F/HF line. Kepler did a good job and proved he could kick goals at FF. I'd like him to get a go under Lyon if he has worked hard enough over pre-season.

With Ballas, DeBour, Mayne even Mello running around these tall guys feet Freo would be both potent in the air and on the ground. Particularly when Fyfe pushes forward.

Mayne Kepler Ballas

DeBour/Clarke Pav Fyfe

I so reckon our team will line up something like this.

FB: Dawson SNOS broughton

HB: ibbo maca. Spurr

C: hilly. Mundy Pitt

HF: fyfe Clarke mayne

FF: griffo pav ballas

R: sandi Barlow lower

Res: de boer,suban,duff/mzungu
Sub: mora

My side for round 1 at this stage assuming Morabito and Mundy aren't ready.

Suban Silvagni Dawson
Mzungu McPharlin Ibbotson
Hill Lower Fyfe
Ballantyne Clarke Pearce
Mayne Pavlich deBoer

Ruck - Sandilands Barlow Broughton

Int - Duffield Grover Johnson
Sub - McPhee

Suban Silvagni Dawson
Hill Lower Fyfe
Ballantyne Clarke Pearce
Mayne Pavlich deBoer

Sub - McPhee

You're in trouble already as you'll be playing one short

Suban Silvagni Dawson
Hill Lower Fyfe
Ballantyne Clarke Pearce
Mayne Pavlich deBoer

Sub - McPhee

Mundy will be fit

I was having a light brunch with Nick Lower this morning and he reminded me that he's suspended for round one so I slammed down my caramel latte, cancelled my egg white omelette and said ciao Nick, I gotta get home and update my team on BF.

Hard for me to pick the likes of Neale and Spurr at this stage and don't need any more talls so Crowley gets a run. :eek:

Why Crowley, i think Ross will pick him for round 1 but whats your logic other than he's not a tall. Creepy really didn't impress me last year.

Having said that every now and then he'll play a blinder of a game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey guys, what do you think Lee Spurr's chances of being somewhere in or near the best 22 are ?

Also, is it possible for you guys to put up a 'DT/SC Questions' thread, kinda like on most of the other boards, thanks.

It is hard to predict the starting 22 with a new coach and many players returning from injury. Not many are immediate starters. At the end of last year people were calling for Hill to be dropped as an example.

We have many players that are very good given they play in roles they are comfortable with. Duffield is that kind of player. If he has space and time he is extremely effective, as he has a great leg on him. If he has to be accountable he immediately drops in value. Hill and Ibbo can't play a tag.

There are so many question marks on players this year. McPhee plays tough and when the chips are down he stands tall. I am glad Grover has gone around again as an insurance policy. Bradley will find it tough to get a game. Hopefully Clarke can earn himself 22 games this year. I can't include any youngsters as yet. Not convinced we can play Sandi, Clarke and Griffen in the same team.

This is how I see the team lining up round 1 :

Silvagni McPharlin Suban
Mzungu Johnson Broughton
Hill Barlow Morabito
Clarke Mayne Ibbotson
De Boar Pavlich Ballantyne

Ruck - Sandilands Fyfe Mundy
Int - Duffield Pitt Dawson
Sub - Crowley

Griffen
Roberton
McPhee
Grover
Bradley
Chrighton

It is hard to predict the starting 22 with a new coach and many players returning from injury. Not many are immediate starters. At the end of last year people were calling for Hill to be dropped as an example.

We have many players that are very good given they play in roles they are comfortable with. Duffield is that kind of player. If he has space and time he is extremely effective, as he has a great leg on him. If he has to be accountable he immediately drops in value. Hill and Ibbo can't play a tag.

There are so many question marks on players this year. McPhee plays tough and when the chips are down he stands tall. I am glad Grover has gone around again as an insurance policy. Bradley will find it tough to get a game. Hopefully Clarke can earn himself 22 games this year. I can't include any youngsters as yet. Not convinced we can play Sandi, Clarke and Griffen in the same team.

This is how I see the team lining up round 1 :

Silvagni McPharlin Suban
Mzungu Johnson Broughton
Hill Barlow Morabito
Clarke Mayne Ibbotson
De Boar Pavlich Ballantyne

Ruck - Sandilands Fyfe Mundy
Int - Duffield Pitt Dawson
Sub - Crowley

Griffen
Roberton
McPhee
Grover
Bradley
Chrighton

Many ppl seem to feel this way. However is this feeling based on any evidence or is it just one of those dogmatic beliefs that have become ingrained over time.
I remember as a child on a number of occasions hearing commentators on the radio stations having a breakdown because a player kicked the ball sideways across the ground. "My god that ball has actually gone backwards!" I remember not understanding why it was such a great sin. It was just a thing you didn't do apparently.
Anyway I digress but the point is this - I can hardly see how having an extra player who can take marks above most of the opposition and share the ruck load could be such a terrible trade off . If we have 3 giants there is still room for 19 dwarfs.

Lower is in the mix for starting 22. He is a terrier, a natural footballer with skills. Players have more athleticism but that can mean nothing when you look at the likes of him and De Boar that just continue to raise the bar.

Talls - sounds good in theory but it means nothing - Size does not make a better AFL player. It can give an advantage, but there are many disadvantages also such as defensive qualities, ground skills and speed of transition (often they need to handball).

Clarke has not set the world on fire. He has improved but lets face it he shows glimpses, has not kicked a bag of goals, has taken a few contested grabs and is fast at running with a big tank. So he is an average mid fielder an average forward, an average ruckman (he improved a lot here), so is he the complete package? Don't get me wrong, I hope he becomes good. But at the moment he has a way to go. He has not dominated WAFL yet with a few decent bags for the Royals. I want him in the team but he needs to keep improving to warrant selection.

Griffen was good. He was not great, he was not bad. He exceeded what I thought he could do, and his contested marking was the highlight for me. I am not sure though, he is not a natural forward and he is not the fastest. He will help Sandi with ruck duties though.

I would stick to the running counter attack game plan with streaming from defence. Our team is solid for the game plan we had, we just need the players on the pitch.

Silvagni Dawson Ibbotson
Suban McPharlin Duffield

Hill Mundy Morabito

Mayne Pavlich Fyfe
Ballantyne Bradley Clarke

Sandilands Barlow Broughton

Int: Crowley, McPhee, Mzungu, DeBoer.

Emg: Mellington, Grover, Johnson

Next in line: Anthony, Griffin, Neale, Pitt, Roberton

Broughton Silvagni Ibbotson
Duffield Mcpharlin Suban
Hill Barlow Morabito
Fyfe Pavlich Mayne
Balla Johnson Walters
Sandi Mundy Mzungu
Griffen Lower Deboer SUB: Spurr

Players outside 22 to push in Dawson Crowley Clarke Mellington Anthony Mcphee Bradley Pitt.

FFC
Dawson Silvagni Suban
Broughton McPharlin Ibbotson
Hill Barlow Fyfe
Morabito Pavlich Mayne
Ballantyne Clarke DeBoer*
Sandi Mundy Mzungu

McPhee Crowley Duffield
Sub -*Pitt
Walters & Lower should be pushing for the 22 when done with suspension or bad attitude.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Best 22 in 2012 (minus draftees)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back