Preview Best 22 in 2012 (minus draftees)

Remove this Banner Ad

It's very depressing reading through these lists of "best 22." I suppose my view is coloured by how we performed this year but at least 11 in each 22 are either crabs or blokes with less than 5 good games in their careers to this point.:(

?

No way.

There are probably a few "role-players" in each of the 22s, but there's no way I'd conceded the 11 crabs bit unless your definition of a crab is a non-star.

I think the 22s, at least on paper, look pretty good to be honest. With Lyon working to get the best out of the team and the talent like he did at St Kilda (which was mostly composed of role players and managed to play two years of grand finals) I reckon we'll make finals this year. (provided we don't don't step on any black cats while walking under ladders)

Off night maybe? I prescribe beer. Works for me.

It's very depressing reading through these lists of "best 22." I suppose my view is coloured by how we performed this year but at least 11 in each 22 are either crabs or blokes with less than 5 good games in their careers to this point.:(

its very depressing reading your dribble.....can you name 11 of the so called crabs you are referring to and who would you suggest replace them

FB : Van Berlo Faulks Grover
HB: Forster Roberton MJ
C: Crichton Crowley Michie
R : Suban Griffin Neale
HF: Crozier Clarke Roberts
FF: Keps Mayne Walters

I: Sutcliffe, Sheridan

There he is!

(incidentally - that's a bitch of a team to try place, only using players I didn't select for the first team).

Sorry people, I was forgetting that so many of us can't actually read English. What I said was that the lists of 22 each contained at least 11 players who are EITHER crabs OR who have played less than 5 good games in their careers to date.

CRABS: Anthony, Bradley, Crowley, De Boer, McPhee

< 5 GOOD GAMES: Morabito, Pitt, Mellington, Suban, Lower, Lower, Clarke, Griffen, Michie, Walters

Sorry people, I was forgetting that so many of us can't actually read English. What I said was that the lists of 22 each contained at least 11 players who are EITHER crabs OR who have played less than 5 good games in their careers to date.

< 5 GOOD GAMES: Morabito, Pitt, Mellington, Suban, Lower, Lower, Clarke, Griffen, Michie, Walters

crap ..... most of the teams listed as best 22 dont have Anthony ,Bradley,Crowley or McPhee in.and certainly no teams mentioned would have all 4,if you think De Boer is a crab then that sums you up.
Morabito is easily best 22 and had a very good debut season,Suban has played many more than 10 good games but has also had his fair share of injuries,Clarke and Lower had pretty good finishes to last year,Clarke especially and Lower was good before injury took its toll.
Some of the best 22 teams mentioned may have 1 or 2 of Pitt,Mellington,Griffen,Michie and Walters but realistically most of these guys would be depth and only all playing together if we have an injury run similar to last year

< 5 GOOD GAMES: Morabito, Pitt, Mellington, Suban, Lower, Clarke, Griffen, Michie, Walters

FB: duffield, dawson, Silvagni
HB: broughton, mcpharlin, pitt
R: mundy, sandilands, lower
C: barlow, hill, de boer
HF: fyfe, pavlich, morabito
FF: ballas, anthony, mellington *

I: mcphee, ibbotson, mzungu

S: michie

I only had 7 out of your 14 possible. I include Pitt and Mello as inclusions that I hope come through by the end of the season, not necessarily at the start

Whats all this hate for Lower? :mad: No need to name him twice...

He had 5 good games this season IMO:
1. 37 disps (19 kicks 18 hballs), 3 marks, 4 tackles and a goal in Rd 23 VS Collingwood - 121 Supercoach Points
2. 30 disps (20 kicks 10 hballs), 3 marks, 8 tackles and a match winning goal in Rd 17 VS Sydney - 146 Supercoach Points
3. 28 disps (13 kicks 15 hballs), 8 marks, 5 tackles and a goal in Rd 9 VS Port Adelaide - 143 Supercoach Points
4. 22 disps (13 kicks 9 hballs), 5 marks, 6 tackles and a goal in Rd 1 2-pt win VS Brisbane - 110 Supercoach Points
5. 19 disps (9 kicks 10 hballs), 3 marks, 4 tackles and the match winning goal in Rd 1 VS Western Bulldogs - 106 Supercoach Points

It's genuinely disturbing and reeks of "Old Freo" that someone in their right mind could ever want Michael Johnson in the team ahead of De boer.

Lower has to be best 22 for mine, the guy is a true inside midfielder and doesn't take a backwards steps. These are the men you need, not flakes like Johnson.

LOL

You Sir, are an absolute squeezer.

It's genuinely disturbing and reeks of "Old Freo" that someone in their right mind could ever want Michael Johnson in the team ahead of De boer.

Lower has to be best 22 for mine, the guy is a true inside midfielder and doesn't take a backwards steps. These are the men you need, not flakes like Johnson.

The club just gave him a brand new 2 year contract, before trade period. To me that means he is best 22 pretty much. Not so "Old".

Your team is better than most Arca excepting you've forgotten about Michie and you lose double points for Anthony.
Sorry about Lower & Lower Seppo. I'll take him out altogether and substitute Roberton and Faulks.
Additional to the crabs and newcomers established players MJ, Duffield and Ibbotson are coming off pretty ordinary years.
Big ?s over Mora and Barlow getting back to 2010 form.
Of course it goes without saying that MJ heads up both the CRABS and < 5 GOOD GAMES lists so I didn't bother to incude him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Your team is better than most Arca excepting you've forgotten about Michie and you lose double points for Anthony.
Sorry about Lower & Lower Seppo. I'll take him out altogether and substitute Roberton and Faulks.
Additional to the crabs and newcomers established players MJ, Duffield and Ibbotson are coming off pretty ordinary years.
Big ?s over Mora and Barlow getting back to 2010 form.
Of course it goes without saying that MJ heads up both the CRABS and < 5 GOOD GAMES lists so I didn't bother to incude him.

I didn't forget him - he's my super-sub :p Just couldn't find a place in the midfield for him ahead of the seniors

Depressing's a bit heavy yakamoto its just a footy team after all, I do agree that our team on paper is hardly proven as a premiership threat but I am hoping that all those young guys you mention start to come on.

Theres not a lot we can do about the fact that Bradley and Anthony are no Cloke and Franklin but hope that Lyon can get more out of them than Harvey could. We dont need everybody to be superstars but definitely need the second tier players to lift a lot.

B: Ibbotson - Dawson - McPharlin
HB: Broughton - Silvagni -Suban
C: Hill - Barlow - Morabito
HF: Mayne - Pavlich - Fyfe
F: Ballantyne - Anthony - Walters
R: Sandilands - Mundy - Lower

I: McPhee - De Boer - Clarke - Mzungu

Selections:
Clarke ahead of Griffin
Anthony ahead of Bradley
McPhee ahead of Johnson
Walters ahead of Mellington
Dawson ahead of Grover
Suban ahead of Duffield

Lots of players looking shakey if their 2011 form continues.

Listening to the complete Matthew Pavlich interview there was a question from the media about Michael Johnson's most likely position this year.

Pav reckons down back..

Lyon has said that McPhee will play back too so it will be interesting to see the structure because McPharlin, Grover, Silvagni, Dawson, Duffield, McPhee, Johnson, Broughton, Ibbotson and Suban can't all squeeze into the backline.

FB: Davis - Dawson - Grover
HB: Duffield - McPharlin - Broughton
C: Hill - Mundy - Morabito
HF: Fyfe - Pavlich - Mayne
FF: Silvagni - Fevola - Ballantyne
R: Sandilands - Barlow - Lower
INT: Clarke - DeBoer - Ibbo
Sub: Lovett

NOTE: I obviously wouldn't draft Lovett, Fevola and Davis. In fact, I wouldn't draft any. But, would love to see how this team goes. Davis and Lovett would give us more run and elite footskills to beat the press while that forward line would be unbeatable. Pav roaming CHF, Fev leading out of the square, if the Fev option is not on go long to SNOS who has a great contested mark particularly against their third defender. Throw in Mayne, Fyfe and Ballas.

Decent depth also with Suban (probably a better player than Lovett), Bradley, Mzungu and others not making the cut.

Lastly, I hope this doesn't come to fruition as it would require three LTI's. Was just a thought.

B: Ibbotson - Dawson - McPharlin

Selections:
Clarke ahead of Griffin
Anthony ahead of Bradley
McPhee ahead of Johnson
Walters ahead of Mellington
Dawson ahead of Grover
Suban ahead of Duffield

Lots of players looking shakey if their 2011 form continues.

Why Anthony ahead of Bradly. Bradly kicks goals, Anthony couldn't even get a touch when he played forward. I would like to see Anthony play but as a back. He played well down back towards the end of the season. I can remember he chopped up Daws in one game.

If Bradly hadn't recieved a hip injury he would have more than likely been our top goal scorer.

Why Anthony ahead of Bradly. Bradly kicks goals, Anthony couldn't even get a touch when he played forward. I would like to see Anthony play but as a back. He played well down back towards the end of the season. I can remember he chopped up Daws in one game.

If Bradly hadn't recieved a hip injury he would have more than likely been our top goal scorer.

I think you'll find he was our top scorer along side Mayne with 25 each... Considering how many games he missed Kepler > Anthony.

Jaysus, seriously!?

Was messing about today thought I may as well put my best 22 out there:

FB: Mcpharlin Dawson Duffield

HB:Broughton Silvagni Mzungu

C: Suban Mundy Hill

HF: Fyfe Pavlich Walters

FF: Mayne Bradley Ballantyne

R: Sandilands Barlow Lower

Bench: DeBoer Clarke Ibbotson
Sub: Morabito

Mcphee, Johnson, Crowley, Anthony for depth with Neale the most likely of the rookies.

Team is for round one and takes into account limited preseasons (ie Mora) & of course no injuries. Walters starting is probably a stretch, I just hope he pulls his finger out because the talent is there.

Mcpharlin to hopefully play a Scarlett role (depending on matchups).

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Best 22 in 2012 (minus draftees)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back