Preview Best 22 in 2012 (minus draftees)

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm sure I would have forgotten someone, usually it's someone really obvious, but here goes...

Silvagni - Dawson - Forster
Broughton - McPharlin - Mzungu
Hill - Mundy - Crowley
Ballantyne - Mayne - Fyfe
Anthony - Pavlich - Walters

r: Sandilands - Barlow - Lower

i: Ibbotson - Clarke - DeBoer

s: Morabito

e: Suban - Grover - McPhee

I find it unlikely that McPhee would miss, and would probably play ahead of Forster. But I just think the young kid will really surprise a lot of people. If he lines up, he'll be the best kick we've had in the back half for a long time.

Other than that, Grover will be the interesting one. I wonder whether we might try all four tall defenders at some stage, throw up some different match ups with guys like Dawson and McPharlin lining up on the medium forwards. I wouldn't mind it.
I'd be expecting/hoping that Suban and/or McPhee were on the field ahead of Crowley.

I'm sure I would have forgotten someone, usually it's someone really obvious, but here goes...

Silvagni - Dawson - Forster
Broughton - McPharlin - Mzungu
Hill - Mundy - Crowley
Ballantyne - Mayne - Fyfe
Anthony - Pavlich - Walters

r: Sandilands - Barlow - Lower

i: Ibbotson - Clarke - DeBoer

s: Morabito

e: Suban - Grover - McPhee

I find it unlikely that McPhee would miss, and would probably play ahead of Forster. But I just think the young kid will really surprise a lot of people. If he lines up, he'll be the best kick we've had in the back half for a long time.

Other than that, Grover will be the interesting one. I wonder whether we might try all four tall defenders at some stage, throw up some different match ups with guys like Dawson and McPharlin lining up on the medium forwards. I wouldn't mind it.

Just can't seem him having an impact at CHF. He's at his best as a 3rd tall or lead up flanker imo.

I don't think there is really a CHF position anymore. Not your classic one anyway. In my forward line, Anthony would basically play out of the goal square and Pavlich would roam up to the 50m line and really do whatever he feels like doing.

Mayne would essentially be playing as a lead up flanker.

It looks like the Big Footy selectors have locked in 21 of the "best 22". Grover was clearly best 22 until Dawson showed up at training. In Dawson, out Grover.
There is a very even split between Anthony and Bradley. If both are fit in February it's going to make the preseason interesting for their supporters.
There is also a surprising amount of support for Pitt as opposed to say Crichton or Roberton.
Top 21
Ibbo McPharlin Dawson

Broughton Silvagni Duffield

Hill Morabito Mzungu

Fyfe Clarke Mayne

De Boer Pavlich Balla

Sandi Mundy Barlow

Suban Lower McPhee

It looks like the Big Footy selectors have locked in 21 of the "best 22". Grover was clearly best 22 until Dawson showed up at training. In Dawson, out Grover.
There is a very even split between Anthony and Bradley. If both are fit in February it's going to make the preseason interesting for their supporters.
There is also a surprising amount of support for Pitt as opposed to say Crichton or Roberton.
Top 21
Ibbo McPharlin Dawson

Broughton Silvagni Duffield

Hill Morabito Mzungu

Fyfe Clarke Mayne

De Boer Pavlich Balla

Sandi Mundy Barlow

Suban Lower McPhee

Your post needs more Pitt <3

I'd be expecting/hoping that Suban and/or McPhee were on the field ahead of Crowley.

Yeah I'd swap Morabito and Crowley, have Suban as the sub. This is based off of last year though (I realise the irony with having Mora there) in relation to Crowley missing, I sincerely hope the 7 odd kilos he's claimed to have shed quicken him up. As bad as his disposal can be, he's so goddamn slow.

Can't really afford to carry guys with shit disposal who are also slow as hell.

I think flexibility will be a key factor for us to succeed.

I fully expect some of the younger crew to step up and demand first 22 spots due to their form.

As for an ideal 22, I will think about it & after a few more beers will get onto it.

When I mention flexibility I refer to "in block" rotations. I just made up that term to describe rotations within each third of the field.
For example:
When we play Collingwood, obviously the best CHB in the AFL last year, McPharlin gets Cloke, but I believe that for 7 or so minutes of each quarter, Silvagni takes Cloke and McPharlin goes to another player. This would keep our player fresh with the need to "switch on" kept to a focus time. Of course if Luke is having a blinder like he did against Franklin in that final (or Silvagni did this year), then leave him be.

Speaking of McPharlin, I'd like to see him have an opportunity to play against lesser players at times. Perhaps, in a way that Dustin Fletcher & darren glass have been afforded the chance to rebound against lesser lights. I know Luke is not the best kick going around, but as a 3rd man up (Nick Maxwell style), well, can you imagine that?!

Kepler needs opportunity. He is a great soldier 4 Freo & he kicks goals!!!

The players need to be given rests during the season the way geelong did last year, but what must be avoided IMO is the pre-determined rest & by that I mean, giving star A a rest at week 14 because it is his turn as determined at the beginning of the season. I want it to be a case of the coaching staff deciding that player X needs a break, & it should not all be against the minnow teams. How will Star X feel if he is made to rest in the middle of a purple patch because we are playing GWS & he misses the Brownlow by 1 vote?! I know individual awards are not what it is about, but it would be nice for one of our boys to win that.

My final point is that on field rotations need to be managed by the coaching staff with player input & not the medical staff. If a player is "burning", leave him on & if he is stuffed, then get him 2 the goalsquare. let him rest later.

anyway, that is my 2 cents worth. maybe 4 cents worth as I did ramble. Excuse me.

Go Freo

Silvagni Dawson Broughton
Suban McPharlin Ibbotson
Clarke Barlow Hill
Mayne Pavlich Fyfe
Ballantyne Bradley Walters
R: Sandilands Mundy DeBoer
I: McPhee Johnson Lower Morabito

Thats it for me

Unlucky Roberton, Crowley, Mzungu, Duffield, Grover, Griffin but have no idea who to give the flick. Injuries permitting, we may have some good competition for spots next year at last.

Suban McPharlin Ibbotson
Clarke Barlow Hill
Mayne Pavlich Fyfe

Thats it for me

Unlucky Roberton, Crowley, Mzungu, Duffield, Grover, Griffin but have no idea who to give the flick. Injuries permitting, we may have some good competition for spots next year at last.

I like your set up. For me the big question is Walters. He may be who we want in the team and in that position, but I hope Lyon goes hard-line with him and challenges him to force his way into the team through his performance at training and wafl.

Suban McPharlin Ibbotson
Clarke Barlow Hill
Mayne Pavlich Fyfe

Thats it for me

Good team, but if you are prepared to go tall and play Clarke on a wing, you can definitely leave Johnson out for the extra run of Mzungu. I will spew if we have a close to fully fit team and MJ walks in to the round 1 22, after his display in 2010/2011.

Broughton Silvagni Dawson
Ibbotson McPharlin Hill

Fyfe Mundy Suban

Ballantyne Pavlich Morabito
Mayne Anthony Walters

Sandilands Barlow DeBoer

Clarke Lower Mzungu McPhee

Really hope i get to see this team lined up at some stage during the season.

I know he has his knockers but its hard too see Johnson not being picked in a first choice squad, same with McPhee, if they are fit they will play. With Clarke again he will play if fit.

As far as Walters goes we all hope he can play some consistant footy and avoid injury, if so he's got a pocket all too himself for as long as he wants, especially if Ballantyne is going to run through the middle a bit. Walters will go one way or the other this year, will either respond or rebel to Lyon no imbetween I'm afraid. I am basing this on not having ever spoken or seen either one of them in person.

Suban McPharlin Ibbotson
Clarke Barlow Hill
Mayne Pavlich Fyfe

Thats it for me

IMO Mzungu will offer Fremanlte way more then what McPhee would in 2012. He has more upside and will play down back & forward and has good ball winning ability. McPhee best is behind him. Also I expect Van Berlo to push for a spot in your best 22. Players like Van Berlo Faulks Walters Mellington will put some pressure on some of the players in the best 22. What really took me by suprise is the delistings of Sibasado and Pierce. Especially Pierce. I thought he did well in the games he played, and Sibasado only game was good. Any way this is Freo best 22 IMO.

Backs: Broughton Silvagni Dawson
Half Backs: Duffield McPharlin Suban
Centres: Mzungu Lower Ibbotson
Half Forwards: Fyfe Pavlich Johnson
Forwards: Mayne Anthony Ballantyne
Rucks: Sandilands Barlow Mundy

Interchange: Hill DeBoer Morabito Van Berlo (Sub)

Unlucky: Griffin, Grover, Crowley, Bradley, Faulks, Clarke, McPhee, Roberton.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

IMO Mzungu will offer Fremanlte way more then what McPhee would in 2012. He has more upside and will play down back & forward and has good ball winning ability. McPhee best is behind him. Also I expect Van Berlo to push for a spot in your best 22. Players like Van Berlo Faulks Walters Mellington will put some pressure on some of the players in the best 22. What really took me by suprise is the delistings of Sibasado and Pierce. Especially Pierce. I thought he did well in the games he played, and Sibasado only game was good. Any way this is Freo best 22 IMO.

You have obviously got a pretty good handle on our squad. Pearce is still a Rookie List chance. I would like to see Clarke in your side instead of van Berlo. perhaps as the sub.

Mcphee will be a constant fixture along with Crowley.

Two big bodied role players in the midfield, the type Lyon will extract the best from.

Mcphee will be a constant fixture along with Crowley.

Two big bodied role players in the midfield, the type Lyon will extract the best from.

God I hope not. McPhee in the midfield is just not needed and drops our skills significantly. Mundy, Barlow, Crowley, de Boer, Morabitto, Lower; those are all big bodies that will be regulars in there, perhaps Clarke too.

God I hope not. McPhee in the midfield is just not needed and drops our skills significantly. Mundy, Barlow, Crowley, de Boer, Morabitto, Lower; those are all big bodies that will be regulars in there, perhaps Clarke too.

Sum of its parts mentality.

If McPhee can make it 10% harder for a tagger pursuing, Fyfe, Mundy, Mora or Hill all the while closing out a threat from the opposition midfield he'll be given that task.

He won't be there to win the ball.

I wouldn't be surprised if McPhee retires about mid-season. The way he's played over his career has stuffed his body. Maybe he'll hang on for the money but I reckon half a dozen games tops for the year.

yakamoto;22979973[B said:
]I wouldn't be surprised if McPhee retires about mid-season.[/B] The way he's played over his career has stuffed his body. Maybe he'll hang on for the money but I reckon half a dozen games tops for the year.

I could see it happening if a situation arises and he starts not being selected, but I hope not. If we make finals he could be very handy.

But surely it will be de Boer and Crowley in the midfield, and I can't really see an opening for him in defence With Grover, Faulks and Dawson fighting for one spot. And in the forward line, Mayne is a better option.

He will get games I am sure, but he is difficult to place in the team now.

mcphee's value is in his hardness at the ball and the man. mzungu simply cant compete with him in that regard. I can see mcphee playing consistently next year.

mcphee's value is in his hardness at the ball and the man. mzungu simply cant compete with him in that regard. I can see mcphee playing consistently next year.

I acknowledge what he offers, but; Pick the team and the position MacPhee plays (you didn't include him in post #59)?

My bet is he gets picked on the bench.

I guess it is the thing with most half decent afl sides is that there are players in the best 18-30 range who offer different things. I just struggle with MacPhee to find the position that I prefer him in to another player.

Methinks you may be a closet Docker .
This is good thing.

I really like your forward structure there.
Overall a good side but I think some new boys are going to be up for a spot . I'd swap JVB for Josh Mellington.

I acknowledge what he offers, but; Pick the team and the position MacPhee plays (you didn't include him in post #59)?

My bet is he gets picked on the bench.

I guess it is the thing with most half decent afl sides is that there are players in the best 18-30 range who offer different things. I just struggle with McPhee to find the position that I prefer him in to another player.

yeah i agree id say bench will be where he is selected most weeks, because as you say he may not be the best player for any specific position, but he can play in a variety of roles.

I can definitely see mcphee being the sort of player that lyon loves... kinda like what dean wallace was to kevin sheedy, and im fine with that providing ross finds a role that adam can play with regular effect.

On mzungu, like a few of our newer players i.e morabito and to a lesser degree deboer, I just dont see the awesomeness that many on here see. his kicking except in front of goals is sub-par, with a game plan heavily relient on solid defence and skills i can see mzungu really struggling to maintain his spot in the 22

Re: Best 22 in 2012 (INCLUDING draftees)

Backs: Grover Silvagni Dawson
Half Backs: Spurr McPharlin Broughton
Centres: Barlow Hill Morabito
Half Forwards: Fyfe Pavlich Mayne
Forwards: Clarke Griffin Ballantyne
Rucks: Sandilands Mundy Deboer

Interchange: McPhee Mzungu Ibbotson Suban

Spurr could be the next Broughton and i reckon he would compliment our backline and replace the dodger

Broughton Dawson Silvagni
Spurr McPharlin Ibbotson
Hill Barlow Morabito
Ballantyne Fyfe Mayne
Walters Pavlich Clarke

Ruck: Sandilands Mundy DeBoer

McPhee Grover Mzungu Suban

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Best 22 in 2012 (minus draftees)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back