Best 5 Youngsters At Your Club

Remove this Banner Ad

superstar said:
Just my opinion. Topping up average lists with average players never gets you far. A few mid-ladder finishes and then an inevitable slide down the ladder (Hawthorn/Richmond).

In two Laidley drafts, we have seen....:

Wells
McIntosh
Grima
Urch
Shore
Perry
Trotter
Chad Jones
Eddie Sansbury

Added to the list. 5 have debuted, 2 were drafted at 17 and could have played TAC another year and two would have debuted this year had they not snapped their leg's.

Yes, we gave pick's 10 and 26 for Thompson but the merit's of that will be better discussed this time next year.

Not exactly topping up, is it?

windsock said:
Just curious to know what quick fix Laidley went for in the past two years' drafts? Teague (was 23 at the time) and Morrell (24) for McKernan (was 29) is about the only "quick fix" of the past two drafts.

He's had three drafts - this is the first he's traded away early picks.

I might also add that this came on top of two drafts where the Kangas had plenty of early selections.

But I'd like to hear your thoughts on the subject, though, superstar.

As i've said, smells like Schwab. Even Schwab traded for early picks early in his tenure (2001). After a couple of mid-ladder finishes and entering the final year of his contract he loved to go the quick-fix bacon saver. Laidley has done the same. His list is not good enough to be topping up. It's average.

NorthBhoy said:
In two Laidley drafts, we have seen....:

Wells
McIntosh
Grima
Urch
Shore
Perry
Trotter
Chad Jones
Eddie Sansbury
Am I supposed to rate them? Other than Wells, a pretty good summary as to why you should still be looking to rebuild.

P.S. Had a chuckle looking at the post above listing Collingwood's top 5.

mocaholic said:
Very quiet on the Schwans front.

21 and under:
Bevan
Schneider
McVeigh
Ablett
Lew Bob Tom.

Hmmmmmm.

We do seem to have a lot of 'project' players (Rogers, Schmidt, Willoughby) plus a couple of guys had problems with injury (Powell, Sundqvist). Malceski, Thewlis will need to step up.

Bevan, an uninjured Schneider would be walk-up starts with McVeigh and Ablett close. LRT has shown a bit and needs some quality time on the ground, and also suffered from injury.

Is Fixter 22, or 23?

I'd go;
Bevan
McVeigh
Schneider
Dempster
Kennelly

I'm pretty sure Kennelly is 22, if Fixter is 22 He'd be instead of Dempster.

Luke Hodge
Chance Bateman
Sam Mitchell
Campbell Brown
Nick Ries - for his limited experience, he is one of the smartest footballers in the side. (err..not that that is hard at the moment :D ) His handballing and vision in traffic is excellent. Kicking needs to be worked on. He is 22 - dont know if he is classed as a youngster, but spent his first senior year at Box Hill.

Mark Williams is still a bit lazy for mine.

Cheer Red Blood said:
Is Fixter 22, or 23?

I'd go;
Bevan
McVeigh
Schneider
Dempster
Kennelly

I'm pretty sure Kennelly is 22, if Fixter is 22 He'd be instead of Dempster.
I reckon that schneider is just about the most over rated youngster in the comp, he is only rated because he kick good goals sometimes

Carltons Top 10
1.Marc Murphy
2.Jarrad Waite
3.Andrew Walker
4.Bret Thornton
5.Brad Fisher
6.Ryan Houlihan
7.Bryce Gibbs
8.Kade Simpson
9.Josh Kennedy
10.Adam Bentick

Carltons Top 10
1.Marc Murphy
2.Jarrad Waite
3.Andrew Walker
4.Bret Thornton
5.Brad Fisher
6.Ryan Houlihan
7.Bryce Gibbs
8.Kade Simpson
9.Josh Kennedy
10.Adam Bentick

Don't think Houlihan would classify as a "youngster", he's middle aged in terms of footy longevity now. Waite is borderline, so is Thornton probably. And O'hAlpin is a bit stiff to miss out, I reckon he's been better than Kennedy so far.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Luke Hodge
Sam Mitchell
Draft Pick 2 (Griffen or Tambling)
Draft Pick 5 (Franklin or Roughead)
Draft Pick 7 (Wood or Meeson)

Had to include draft picks otherwise we suck!!

You missed out on your 3rd best youngster :eek:

1. Cam CLOKE
2. Guy RICHARDS
3. Julian ROWE
4. Tom DAVIDSON
5. Brayden SHAW

(With other youngsters like Billy MORRISON, Alan DIDAK, Brent HALL, Heath SHAW, Tex WALKER, Richie COLE, MAXWELL and KING all to come on next year.)

Ouch! :eek:

Then (Judkins era)

1. Cam CLOKE
2. Guy RICHARDS
3. Julian ROWE
4. Tom DAVIDSON
5. Brayden SHAW

Now (Hine era)

1. Dale Thomas
2. Scott Pendlebury
3. Shannon Cox
4. Harry O'Brien
5. Chris Egan

I took out Heath Shaw and Travis Cloke, 21 and 19, because they were drafted through the FS rule.

Hmmm, doesn't take a brain scientist to figure out how much we have improved in this area. :D

In all seriousness, Derek Hine is a genius.

Remove this Banner Ad

Best 5 Youngsters At Your Club

Remove this Banner Ad

Back