Best Bomber of the Decade

Remove this Banner Ad

Bombers Faithful,

Not a big poster on here myself personally, more a daily reader...

I voted for James Hird, its a pretty easy decision really when thinking about all the games he has shaped this decade and won of his own boot so to speak, WCE (04 i think), the numerous Anzac games, the GF 2000 are just some of the games that we'll always remember.

Carn the Bombers

He didn't win that many games off his own boot. He's not Carey. Hirdy was the ultimate utility player. The ultimate team player.

Still believe Mercuri was the most skillful player of the decade at EFC. He could use both sides of the body, had sensational over head marking skills, his goal kicking and foot passing was brilliant. Could baulk and weave around anyone with ease. Better all round skills than Hird, Lloyd and all the great players from the last ten years..imo.

Surprised to see Lloyd didn't win a best and fairest this decade.
Obviously though with players like Hird, Lucas, Fletcher & the Johnsons etc running around theres a lot of competition.

As an outsider I'd vote Hird.

Hard to split it between Fletcher and Hird.

I understand the greatness of Hird but I remember that once an interesting stat was thrown around.

66% of games lost - Dustin Fletcher did not play

what does that tell you?

Fletchers my choice.

Having had difficulty sleeping last night due to the slightly warm temperature I watched the Essendon v West Cout 2007 game on 7Two. Gee it is easy to forget how good Hird was. I have heard people in the last few years refer to Judd, and the Ablett Jnr as close to, if not, the best players ever. Neither of them currently should be rated anywhere near Hird.

Has there ever been anyone who weighted their kicks as well as him?

Mark Mercuri by a mile....if Hird and Lloyd are taken out of the question..:footy:

Lets be honest, Mercuri wouldn't even be in the top dozen or so players of the decade. He would be very lucky to make our best 22 of the decade considering he was pretty shit.

He didn't win that many games off his own boot. He's not Carey. Hirdy was the ultimate utility player. The ultimate team player.

Yes he did. More than you care to imagine. In fact Hird is probably won more games off his own boot than any other player i have seen. The way he willed himself to drag the team over the line when we were down was nothing short of ridiculous.

Even when he was having a quiet game he refused to give in and would somehow lift in the final term and win us games.

The ultimate matchwinner. This is something he had over Voss and Buckley.

1. Hird
2. Fletcher
3. Lloyd

It can't be any other players. Fletcher just gets the nod in second spot due to being a little bit more consistant.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mecuri is a name that really pisses me off. Had all the skill, even as much as Hird. Incredibly talented player who took his new epic pay cheque after his stellar 1999 year and simply disappeared after that.

Slightly harsh I would think. His brother committed suicide at the start of the decade and he barley played a good game after that. Plus his groins were just shot.

Mercuri 90-99 is 2nd behind Hird. Hird always said Merc was the most skillful player he ever played with.

I miss the mercedes benz in our forward line. To think Ben Haynes was supposed to be his replacment.

Slightly harsh I would think. His brother committed suicide at the start of the decade and he barley played a good game after that. Plus his groins were just shot.

Mercuri 90-99 is 2nd behind Hird. Hird always said Merc was the most skillful player he ever played with.

I miss the mercedes benz in our forward line. To think Ben Haynes was supposed to be his replacment.
I'm sorry about his brother, but you can't pen his downfall to that. As for his groins, well his mentality more than his ageing body stood out for me when he was out on the footy field.

voted for hirdy, thought i might put my best 22 forward

D.Solomon, D.Fletcher, A.Ramanauskas
D.Pevrill, S.Wellman, A.Welsh
J.Blumfield, J.Hird, J.Watson
B.Caracella,S.Lucas,M.Mcveigh
M.Johnson, M.Lloyd, M.Mecuri
Foll D.Hille,J.Johnson,J.Misiti
Int - S.Allesio, D.Rioli, P.Ryder,B.Stanton

for pure on-field performances andrew lovett would also be in the mix given he played 50% of the decade but perhaps his off-field issues don't allow it? don't think ryder would make it having only featured in two full seasons.

Remove this Banner Ad

Best Bomber of the Decade

Remove this Banner Ad

Back