Opinion Best/Worst Port Adelaide players of 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Best
Boak the religious leader of our club
Houston the immaculate conception
Byrne Jones a disciple of brilliance
...( it is Sunday, so a religious twist)

Off colour performances
Jonas (gray tending to black)
Westhoff (gray with occasional splashes of colour)
Sam Gray (gray)
Yeah I would've put Westhoff on my disappointment list, but he has some really good games every now and then which keeps him off the list for me.

Our best hasn't been outstanding but our worst has been ... bad.
I think our best has been outstanding. Smashing the Eagles and the Crows the way we did is no small feat, there aren't many other teams that managed to do it.

Best
Boak the religious leader of our club
Houston the immaculate conception
Byrne Jones a disciple of brilliance
...( it is Sunday, so a religious twist)

Off colour performances
Jonas (gray tending to black)
Westhoff (gray with occasional splashes of colour)
Sam Gray (gray)
I actually almost put Sam Gray down for my most improved. I think he's got plenty of talent, there are two things standing in his way. 1. His scoring accuracy, 2. He struggles to find his place in the team, he can't fit in the midfield so he's normally forced into a pocket.

Rockcliff has to be put back to the seconds after last night it’s obvious he is well and truly cooked. Ken won’t play Trengove because he thinks he’s passed it well he’s not as far past it as good ole rockcliff. Please we have no future if we need to play rockcliff. He can’t run, he can’t chase, his kicks go randomly 30 metres and usually to the opposition. He is the worst. Put in Trengove his ball use is way better or try drew or altey or try Sam gray in the middle. Rockcliff is like playing my old man in the centre except my old man can kick to advantage.

Rockcliff has to be put back to the seconds after last night it’s obvious he is well and truly cooked. Ken won’t play Trengove because he thinks he’s passed it well he’s not as far past it as good ole rockcliff. Please we have no future if we need to play rockcliff. He can’t run, he can’t chase, his kicks go randomly 30 metres and usually to the opposition. He is the worst. Put in Trengove his ball use is way better or try drew or altey or try Sam gray in the middle. Rockcliff is like playing my old man in the centre except my old man can kick to advantage.
If Trengrove was better we would've swapped him for Rockliff a long time ago. They're both slow but Rockliff is clearly the better of the two.

Talking best and worst player. You know ... the thread you started.
I was juggling threads and somehow got this one mixed up with the coach thread. My bad.
But I DO think that Boak is an outstanding player, at least he has been in 2019. His disposal has been clean and has a good balance of pace and strength. That's not even mentioning Housten and Clurey at their peak.

Not ready to write Charlie off. He's out for a year, busts a gut to get back and has to adjust to our cluster**** of a forward setup. Yeah he should be clunking them and throwing his weight around, but it'll take another pre-season for him to get fully confident again. If he'd been in a Giants top last night he could quite reasonably have kicked all of their goals with the delivery they get.

He needs to find more synergy with his crumbers, but most of all he needs to stop taking most of his marks on centre wing. I'm assuming that's instructions rather than poor positioning on his part.

I think our co-captains have been close to co-worst. Can't recall either actually swinging a game our way off their own bat, or showing much in the way of leadership (except to support each other).

Best is Travis. At times he looks like the only one who really cares.

Oh, and I couldn't find an appropriate thread for this, so sack Ken.

I think our co-captains have been close to co-worst. Can't recall either actually swinging a game our way off their own bat, or showing much in the way of leadership (except to support each other).
Oliver Wines was our best player and probably BOG in the West Coast game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd have Burton ahead of Lycett as our trade pick up. I know Burton has missed a few cause of injury but I think he has and will be the better recruit.
I reckon if he didn't miss so many games you would be right, but even then I think Lycett has been better at his peak and more important to us overall.

I reckon if he didn't miss so many games you would be right, but even then I think Lycett has been better at his peak and more important to us overall.
I don't disagree with your point of view on that one. Can't argue at all.

Lycett has shown some great signs this year and had some great games, and will be a good serviceable ruckman going forward until Hayes or Ladhams are ready. He likely won't be more then that, and that's fine, that's his job.

Hopefully we can get Burton fit and over his niggling injuries as soon as next season as I feel his upside is massive.

Unfortunately Marshall for me. Thought this would be a breakout year for him

If Hinkley didn’t drop him before the Brisbane game in Round 3 it probably would’ve been.

Everyone knows young key forwards develop best when the coach has no faith in them, their confidence is low and they’re trapped in the seconds.

It upsets me that Marshall barely got a shot at it and was out, barely to be sighted again, at the first available opportunity.

It really felt as though a couple of assistant coaches held sway at the early season match committee meetings, pushed the idea of Marshall/Frampton in the AFL and Sam Gray in the SANFL, Hinkley grudgingly allowed it, and then at the very first available moment he swapped them both.

Last edited:
Ratugolea is currently playing his 13th game of the season for the ladder leading Cats as a 2nd banana to Hawkins.

Marshall and Frampton have played 8 games between them for the middling inconsistent Port side despite Dixon being out for most of the year, as understudy to full time resting ruckman Paddy Ryder.

Ratugolea isn't jumping through the insane hoops he'd have to under Hinkley either, averaging 8.7d 2.5m 0.7g and 5.7ho

Just for comparison,
Frampton 11.5d 1.5m 1.5g
Marshall 9d 2.8m 0.5g

Howard moved forward in Round 11 and since then he's averaging 10d 4m 1.1g

So we've effectively sacrificed Howard's defensive prowess so he can give us #marginalgains over Frampton while the ladder leaders are happy to just develop a key forward whodathinkit

Ratugolea is currently playing his 13th game of the season for the ladder leading Cats as a 2nd banana to Hawkins.

Marshall and Frampton have played 8 games between them for the middling inconsistent Port side despite Dixon being out for most of the year, as understudy to full time resting ruckman Paddy Ryder.

Ratugolea isn't jumping through the insane hoops he'd have to under Hinkley either, averaging 8.7d 2.5m 0.7g and 5.7ho

Just for comparison,
Frampton 11.5d 1.5m 1.5g
Marshall 9d 2.8m 0.5g

Howard moved forward in Round 11 and since then he's averaging 10d 4m 1.1g

So we've effectively sacrificed Howard's defensive prowess so he can give us #marginalgains over Frampton while the ladder leaders are happy to just develop a key forward whodathinkit

Coming off snapping his leg too.

Clarko is pumping games into Nash and Lewis despite their modest returns - and at the expense of a club legend in Roughead.

Psssh, I’m sure our method’s best.

Coming off snapping his leg too.

Clarko is pumping games into Nash and Lewis despite their modest returns - and at the expense of a club legend in Roughead.

Psssh, I’m sure our method’s best.

What would Geelong and Hawthorn know about winning premierships anyway?

We've made so many insanely stupid decisions this year (starting with co captains) that it's really hard to criticise the players.

That said, standouts:
Houston, Boak, Rozee, X, Burton, Amon

Not in that order.

The ages of those guys makes me pretty confident still long term.

Garner for most improved.

Very good
Boak
Dursma
Rozee
Amon
Dbj
Houston
Gray

Good
Hartlett
Lycett
Clurey

Okay
Howard
Dixon
Broadbent
Burton
Sam gray
Butters
Drew
Marshall

Shit
Wines
Rockcliff
Motlop
Spp
Ryder
Westhoff
Ebert
Atley
Jonas
Hinkley
kT
Koch
Bassett

Farrell, billy, ladhams haven’t played enough to comment

Best boak, gray post injury, Dan, Duursma, Dbj amon clurey
Ok rozee s gray Butters Lycett burton
Meh, the rest
Dispointments ryder wines Jonas motlop

The regular Maggies are all unlucky not to get more chances.

Most improved ladhams amon drew

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Best/Worst Port Adelaide players of 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Back